Y12 Intake installation problems

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

phase86
Ricer

Y12 Intake installation problems

Postby phase86 » April 21st, 2016, 7:32 pm

okay tuners, need ur asistance.

I guess persons who own nissan tiida/ad wagon/y11/y12 could let me know if u faced the same issue.

Please see the pic of the intake i purchased.

I bought a universal short ram intake system online for my y12 and got it installed today...after the installation was complete the car didn't want to start. During the installation the MAF sensor was taken out of the stock box and screwed into the adapter that was welded on to the piping (was put in incorrectly the first time). it took like 20 tries to get the car to start and even when it started it wasn't throttling properly. After i got it started the check engine light came on. carried it to a guy who did a diagnostic on it and got the check engine light off. car felt good after for a good 20-30 mins and then trouble started again..car stayed on but when pressing the accelerator there was a long delay in getting the car to respond...it stalled at couple intersections to and from garage,my mechanic figured it was the filter that was stifling the vehicle or possibly a leak somewhere. I spoke to the guy at Mikeys muffler near Sams in south and he told me guys with the same vehicle experienced the same problems where after they made that change the car real shutting off and ting.

Would like to know if anyone who has a y12 or any of the models listed above experienced this problem and how they fixed it?
Also, is there a particular brand intake system (cold air intake system) they would recommend would work for my vehicle with no issues or once i get a pipe with the MAF adapter it should work?
I am planning to purchase a K&N filter when I find a garage/muffler shop that can guarantee a proper installation and cost.

I appreciate any useful information
Attachments
intake.jpg
Last edited by phase86 on April 22nd, 2016, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Re: Y12 Intake installation problems

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 21st, 2016, 8:09 pm

MAF probably cant work on that diameter pipe.

A MAF is calibrated for a specific diameter and location within the airflow.

trini iceman
Trinituner Peong

Postby trini iceman » April 21st, 2016, 8:49 pm

Put back the stock box please and sell that nonsense to someone with a MAP only engine. MAF sensors go crazy when those things are used. The filter not stifling the engine the flow to the MAF has changed.

phase86
Ricer

Postby phase86 » April 21st, 2016, 9:21 pm

The stock box was put back right after....what would u recommend in terms of making the change to a cold air or short ram intake though that would work with the MAF?....

Intake is currently for sale..asking $300

trini iceman
Trinituner Peong

Postby trini iceman » April 21st, 2016, 10:51 pm

Don't. Sell the y12 and buy a gtr if you want to go fast.

phase86
Ricer

Postby phase86 » April 22nd, 2016, 8:15 am

If only that was possible....was also observing the location of the MAF sensor...realized that its on the box with the filter. On my last b15 i was able to run a pipe after the MAF and install my filter on that and no probs

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Re: RE: Re: Y12 Intake installation problems

Postby racedriverpro » April 22nd, 2016, 9:43 am

phase86 wrote:If only that was possible....was also observing the location of the MAF sensor...realized that its on the box with the filter. On my last b15 i was able to run a pipe after the MAF and install my filter on that and no probs

Short ram in any econobox is a waste of time...tried it already.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 22nd, 2016, 5:00 pm

trini iceman wrote:Put back the stock box please and sell that nonsense to someone with a MAP only engine. MAF sensors go crazy when those things are used. The filter not stifling the engine the flow to the MAF has changed.

Even more scary is that the "Mechanic" put in the MAF incorrectly, then came up with the theory that a cone filter stifling the car.

phase86
Ricer

Postby phase86 » April 22nd, 2016, 9:26 pm

Trial and error..

phase86
Ricer

Postby phase86 » April 22nd, 2016, 9:33 pm

Mechanic had the same issue when he installed his cai on his car and after running a diagnostic on it and clearing the check engine light the car gave no more problems....

Seedragon
Street 2NR

Postby Seedragon » May 9th, 2016, 2:42 pm

CAI - Y12.jpg
Fellas,
I owing a Y12 Rider for a few years now and did a lot of mods on it including a CAI with is the same set up but just longer. LOL. I installed myself and works GR8 for the same period I owned the car..

I guess you need to check -
- If the Air Flow sensor may be bolted wrong direction?
- Air leaking from the system?
- Your vacuum hose or Intake throttle body have a air leak?
- What did the scan tool reading give?

I really don't see ant reason why it not working.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”