TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Official VAG DSG/Dual Clutch Transmission Thread

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

syncrod
Sweet on this forum

Re: RE: Re: Official VAG DSG/Dual Clutch Transmission Thread

Postby syncrod » June 16th, 2016, 2:04 pm

shimon wrote:Hello tuners can you guys tell me how long your mechatronics unit lasted since they changed the oil to the mineral type? Also has anyone ever had to changed their clutches? Thanks.

dont know how long the oil is good for but I've changed clutches. they were slipping likely due to years of crawling in traffic. i believe the tcu was updated to fix the issue with pre mk6 models.
most ppl suggest roughing up the car tends to fix the shuddering issues

drchaos
punchin NOS

Re: Official VAG DSG/Dual Clutch Transmission Thread

Postby drchaos » June 16th, 2016, 2:37 pm

Yeah I found that every once in a while let the car get into gear 2 let off the gas until the car is crawling then floor the accelerator. It supposed to rough up clutch pack 2 and remove the glazing on the clutch which causes shuddering and slipping. Some clutches may be to far gone and this method does not work.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » June 16th, 2016, 6:32 pm

I doubt that really works to be honest. Think it just boils down to heat. Stop start traffic and slow speeds means the dsg doesn't get the cooling it needs. Friction coefficient of clutches change and you get uneven slip leading to judder.

By the time you have road to press out you done have cool air passing over your tranny long enough to cool things. So no slippage. It's a problem for dry clutches in particular.

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » June 16th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » June 16th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Even after the car had time (for example the next day) to cool down I still had clutch slippage after driving in really heavy traffic.

Also don't need alot of space to mash out just floor the accelerator until 2nd engages full from crawling and then let go.

I dunno worked for me when K2 started acting up after around 15K miles.

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » June 17th, 2016, 3:30 am

drchaos wrote:Even after the car had time (for example the next day) to cool down I still had clutch slippage after driving in really heavy traffic.

Also don't need alot of space to mash out just floor the accelerator until 2nd engages full from crawling and then let go.

I dunno worked for me when K2 started acting up after around 15K miles.

Sounds interesting from my experience in rebuilding the 01m and the 01j transmission the vw clutches to me never looks like their is alot of meat on them even when new they develop a glaze quite easily I dont know if the oam clutches share the same traits as it but needless to say if I have that problem I will try it

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » June 23rd, 2016, 3:22 pm

Hey shimon you managed to get the mineral oil?

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » June 23rd, 2016, 7:43 pm

drchaos wrote:Hey shimon you managed to get the mineral oil?

Hey well I was a little mixed up on the issue until I clarified it with bunny but basically I wanted hydraulic oil for the mechatronics which I thought had to be mineral oil but later found out its synthetic oil equivalent to chf 202 power steering oil but I still have the gearbox oil to change as i don't know if the owner had it changed to mineral oil saw it online for 11usd a quart and well erm has it for 180 a quart not sure if its the mineral oil or synthetic i will confirm this whenever I return.

syncrod
Sweet on this forum

Postby syncrod » June 29th, 2016, 7:45 pm

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » June 29th, 2016, 8:39 pm

Good find!

I feel this should be told to every new DCT car buyer in T&T. I had to learn all this myself + from Bunny's thread in the first few months of ownership.

BA sort of told everyone to just drive the car as normal.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » June 29th, 2016, 10:16 pm

drchaos wrote:Good find!

I feel this should be told to every new DCT car buyer in T&T. I had to learn all this myself + from Bunny's thread in the first few months of ownership.

Yep.. In the earlies Bunny, syncrod and some of the others posted a lot of info on how to use it properly, esp in manual. It's something I've really gotten used to, although I still prefer how slushbox autos don't have that lag to engage first gear once your foot's off the brake.

As of today, looks like I've joined the failed mechatronics club. Almost home today and I find the car revving excessively. Looked at the dash and saw the spanner of death flashing every time it was supposed to be on an odd gear. Basically the car would take off on D2, get the rpm high enough and then switch to D4. Managed to get it into the yard. It won't reverse and won't engage any of the odd numbered gears. It will still take off on D2, but putting it in R makes nothing engage at all.

Gonna get it over to BA tomorrow and hope for the blessing of good will.

VCDS scan:

4 Faults Found:

006293 - Functional Restriction due to Pressure Drop
P1895 - 000 -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 5
Reset counter: 5
Mileage: 106028 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2016.06.29
Time: 14:08:54

001836 - Gear 1
P072C - 008 - Not Selectable - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10101000
Fault Frequency: 5
Reset counter: 40
Mileage: 106028 km
Time: 14:08:54

001835 - Gear R
P072B - 000 - Not Selectable - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 106030 km
Time: 15:05:12

001851 - Gear 6
P073B - 008 - Not Selectable - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 106030 km
Time: 14:15:33

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » June 29th, 2016, 10:28 pm

Sorry that really is unfortunate news but Before you go replacing that mech just do a visual inspection around the cover look for leaks if you find the seal to be wet ask them to drain the unit and see if 1 ltr comes out is this your 1st mech unit change out since you had the car?

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » June 30th, 2016, 6:49 am

I looked but didn't see any leaks. This is the original mech that came with the car.

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » June 30th, 2016, 10:15 am

Ok I saw a seals kit online for the mech unit i should get my hands on a old unit which had similar pressure drop faults will keep you guys updated but from my research it seems like its loosing pressure somewhere on the valvebody side your control unit should be fine as far as I'm concerned but at this point I'm only speculating I'm confident these units can be repaired if the problem lies with the valvebody the control unit as well since ecs has a kit to repair some of the wiring faults.

purple_heart77
Sweet on this forum

Postby purple_heart77 » July 7th, 2016, 7:23 pm

neexis wrote:
drchaos wrote:Good find!

Yep.. In the earlies Bunny, syncrod and some of the others posted a lot of info on how to use it properly, esp in manual. It's something I've really gotten used to, although I still prefer how slushbox autos don't have that lag to engage first gear once your foot's off the brake.

As of today, looks like I've joined the failed mechatronics club. Almost home today and I find the car revving excessively. Looked at the dash and saw the spanner of death flashing every time it was supposed to be on an odd gear. Basically the car would take off on D2, get the rpm high enough and then switch to D4. Managed to get it into the yard. It won't reverse and won't engage any of the odd numbered gears. It will still take off on D2, but putting it in R makes nothing engage at all.

Gonna get it over to BA tomorrow and hope for the blessing of good will.

Ouch, sorry to hear that m8, hope you get the Will of Good!

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » August 10th, 2016, 5:48 pm

So this saga continues

Car's been at BA for 5 weeks awaiting mechatronic replacement.
Called today hoping to hear that the car is ready because they received the part since the week before last.

Now they're saying that something else is wrong and the whole gearbox needs to be replaced.
According to the tech, some of the gear shift forks in contact with the mech were bent and have some play in them, and since those can't be repaired, the entire thing has to be changed out.

Now I'm wondering why wasn't this diagnosed in the last 5 weeks? What kind of assessment was actually done (if any) that caused them to miss this in the first place? Of course, they said it will take about 3 weeks to get the new part, so we can safely estimate another 5.

All this from the same folks who said I needed a $25k steering rack replacement (nothing was wrong with it) when all the car needed was a software update. I'm tired of all the mistakes and having to deal with most of them inside there.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » August 11th, 2016, 10:48 pm

Is it possible they may have damaged/bent the selector forks while attempting to change out the mechatronic unit?
Sounds very fishy!

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » August 11th, 2016, 11:54 pm

drchaos wrote:Is it possible they may have damaged/bent the selector forks while attempting to change out the mechatronic unit?
Sounds very fishy!

From what I've seen of the anatomy of the transmission, the mech just controls the actuators. The shift forks are on the inside of the transmission

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » August 12th, 2016, 8:34 am

Hmmm ... They give any explanation why they think this may have happened? Or they just as clue less like the rest of us.

Bright side in this pile of sheit is that you get a whole new tranny and they should give you some warranty as well on it.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » August 12th, 2016, 9:36 am

drchaos wrote:Hmmm ... They give any explanation why they think this may have happened? Or they just as clue less like the rest of us.

Bright side in this pile of sheit is that you get a whole new tranny and they should give you some warranty as well on it.

Something to the tune of when the mech was replaced the gears still weren't responding/shifting.

That's the brightside.. but the more apparent downside is time lost/new expenses incurred and no actual vehicle to use.... mind you on a vehicle that's still being paid for.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » August 12th, 2016, 9:54 am

Also no courtesy vehicle?
I remember some people got after warranty was up and had major down time and some did not... Depended on who you spoke to and how much noise you made.

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » September 6th, 2016, 11:09 am

neexis wrote:
drchaos wrote:Hmmm ... They give any explanation why they think this may have happened? Or they just as clue less like the rest of us.

Something to the tune of when the mech was replaced the gears still weren't responding/shifting.

That's the brightside.. but the more apparent downside is time lost/new expenses incurred and no actual vehicle to use.... mind you on a vehicle that's still being paid for.

Any update on your situation?

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » September 6th, 2016, 5:35 pm

shimon wrote:
neexis wrote:

Any update on your situation?

Car is still at BA. Spoke to them over a week ago and they still had not received the part.

After some shenanigans, they gave me a courtesy vehicle to use so that helps a whole lot.

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » September 6th, 2016, 5:49 pm

OK well at least you have something to move around with it could of been worst right now. Still waiting on a replacement tranny for a Chevy cruze from lifestyle motors mind you that's since January the 10th.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 6th, 2016, 6:26 pm

Enjoy that courtesy car! Its refreshing sometimes to have a car you don't have to give a sheit about and at BA's expense

@Shimon
That's the 3rd Chevy tranny failure I have heard about in the last few weeks, sounds like a pattern.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » September 6th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Yea... no. I am still financially responsible for any major damages to the vehicle so there's not any reason to not take care of it.

shimon is that vehicle still under warranty? What about that could possibly be taking 8+ months?

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 6th, 2016, 9:21 pm

I not saying drive it off a cliff or anything ... Live a little and don't worry about avoiding every pothole, fill up with super, drive it like you stole it!

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » September 6th, 2016, 10:38 pm

@drchaos the 6t30 cruze tranny is filt lol
@neexis yup that's their goodwill it's being replaced under the warranty ended 31st Dec 2015 and the tranny gave up the second week in Jan 2016

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 7th, 2016, 6:48 am

8 months?! They call that goodwill? That's frustration.

Coworker has a Cruze and the tranny control unit failed in the second year of ownership. It was replaced under warranty in a timely fashion. Car was bought in 2013.

Seems to be a known issue so I'm surprised at 8 month wait.

shimon
3NE 2NR for life

Postby shimon » September 7th, 2016, 8:05 am

That's the price you pay when buying a vehicle new in tnt it's always a run around.

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”