Forums

WASA eyes commercial venture: Bottled water for all

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

stikid09
3NE2NR is my LIFE

WASA eyes commercial venture: Bottled water for all

Postby stikid09 » January 13th, 2018, 12:17 am

The downturn in the economy, as well as cutbacks to government ministries, has led to the Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA) exploring the possible business opportunity of selling bottled water.

Yesterday, Minister of Public Utilities Robert Le Hunte confirmed his ministry was considering that as a possible investment and business opportunity in the near future.

He said, “The WASA management continues to explore opportunities where they could obtain revenue and, by extension, reduce subvention given by the State.

“The genesis of this process to bottle WASA water is possibly coming out of those discussions, and I am encouraging the utility to explore all possible options. However, we are very far from making any definitive decision in this regard.

“We are also cognisant as we explore these options that we are mindful of the value added to the citizens of TT and the financial viability of the project and the crowding-out effect it could potentially have on private-sector investment.”

He encouraged other ministries to explore business opportunities to encourage revenue flows and the creation of employment, adding that it would bring value to the country.

There are four reservoirs in the country: Navet Dam, Caroni-Arena Dam, the Hollis Reservoir and Hillsborough Reservoir in Tobago .

Sources said yesterday, the project could come on stream next year once the green light was given by Government. This may require setting up a plant to bottle the water and package it for sale.

The quality of water in this country has already been described as being good and sources said yesterday it was an excellent opportunity for WASA to earn some income and return to a good financial footing. But yesterday, Dr Abe Alexander, CEO of Water One at Frederick Settlement, Caroni, the producers of Oasis bottled water, said ten years ago he heard WASA was contemplating bottling water, but that never materialised.

He said, “That is not going to help WASA, WASA provides good potable water, and if they say they are going to supply bottled water, it means that the water coming through the pipe is no good. Sure, they can do it, but I do not see that happening.

“I think people will ask what we are being supplied with and they will ask if what is coming in through their pipes is of good quality. They will also question their bottled water on the market, if it comes on stream, unless they do it through a private company that does the work for them. That is a better idea.”

Dominic Hadeed of Blue Waters could not be reached for comment.

Source: http://newsday.co.tt/2018/01/10/wasa-ey ... r-for-all/

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: WASA eyes commercial venture: Bottled water for all

Postby De Dragon » January 13th, 2018, 12:24 am

That's what this clown came from Ghana to do? WASA needs to reduce the millions of leaks on its transmission systems, demand and receive payment from State agencies owing it hundreds of millions, and cut out the corruption and mismanagement. No one wants WASA bottled water, because well, it is WASA, and will always be looked upon with scepticism. I mean, would you buy toothpaste from Bright Bowl? They might make the best toothpaste in the world if they tried, but come on, it's Bright Bowl.

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » January 13th, 2018, 2:11 am

Good on WASA. another failed project in the making . thats what happen when you could just spend other people money .
Why would i buy bottled water from wasa ?Are they reducing my home bill if i purchase their water ?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 13th, 2018, 3:34 am

PNM needs to stay away from Ghana otherwise we will soon resemble an Afro country filled with their failed nation status.

fatboy slim
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby fatboy slim » January 13th, 2018, 5:07 am

another day in paradise PNM style.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » January 13th, 2018, 5:10 am

De Dragon wrote:That's what this clown came from Ghana to do? WASA needs to reduce the millions of leaks on its transmission systems, demand and receive payment from State agencies owing it hundreds of millions, and cut out the corruption and mismanagement. No one wants WASA bottled water, because well, it is WASA, and will always be looked upon with scepticism. I mean, would you buy toothpaste from Bright Bowl? They might make the best toothpaste in the world if they tried, but come on, it's Bright Bowl.

hong kong phooey wrote:Good on WASA. another failed project in the making . thats what happen when you could just spend other people money .
Why would i buy bottled water from wasa ?Are they reducing my home bill if i purchase their water ?

excellent points from the dragon... phooey....not soo much bruh...
imagine if u bought a car from nissan and nissan owned a few gas stations ...wud filling up by their station allow u to get a discount in ur mthly payment premium ??

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » January 13th, 2018, 5:15 am

stikid09 wrote:Image

The downturn in the economy, as well as cutbacks to government ministries, has led to the Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA) exploring the possible business opportunity of selling bottled water.

Yesterday, Minister of Public Utilities Robert Le Hunte confirmed his ministry was considering that as a possible investment and business opportunity in the near future.

He said, “The WASA management continues to explore opportunities where they could obtain revenue and, by extension, reduce subvention given by the State.

“The genesis of this process to bottle WASA water is possibly coming out of those discussions, and I am encouraging the utility to explore all possible options. However, we are very far from making any definitive decision in this regard.

“We are also cognisant as we explore these options that we are mindful of the value added to the citizens of TT and the financial viability of the project and the crowding-out effect it could potentially have on private-sector investment.”

He encouraged other ministries to explore business opportunities to encourage revenue flows and the creation of employment, adding that it would bring value to the country.

There are four reservoirs in the country: Navet Dam, Caroni-Arena Dam, the Hollis Reservoir and Hillsborough Reservoir in Tobago .

Sources said yesterday, the project could come on stream next year once the green light was given by Government. This may require setting up a plant to bottle the water and package it for sale.

The quality of water in this country has already been described as being good and sources said yesterday it was an excellent opportunity for WASA to earn some income and return to a good financial footing. But yesterday, Dr Abe Alexander, CEO of Water One at Frederick Settlement, Caroni, the producers of Oasis bottled water, said ten years ago he heard WASA was contemplating bottling water, but that never materialised.

He said, “That is not going to help WASA, WASA provides good potable water, and if they say they are going to supply bottled water, it means that the water coming through the pipe is no good. Sure, they can do it, but I do not see that happening.

“I think people will ask what we are being supplied with and they will ask if what is coming in through their pipes is of good quality. They will also question their bottled water on the market, if it comes on stream, unless they do it through a private company that does the work for them. That is a better idea.”

Dominic Hadeed of Blue Waters could not be reached for comment.

Source: http://newsday.co.tt/2018/01/10/wasa-ey ... r-for-all/
why we gave this ding dong the post remember he at the helm of all the utilities smh yes...this guvament yes

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » January 13th, 2018, 6:26 am

skylinechild wrote:
De Dragon wrote:That's what this clown came from Ghana to do? WASA needs to reduce the millions of leaks on its transmission systems, demand and receive payment from State agencies owing it hundreds of millions, and cut out the corruption and mismanagement. No one wants WASA bottled water, because well, it is WASA, and will always be looked upon with scepticism. I mean, would you buy toothpaste from Bright Bowl? They might make the best toothpaste in the world if they tried, but come on, it's Bright Bowl.

hong kong phooey wrote:Good on WASA. another failed project in the making . thats what happen when you could just spend other people money .

excellent points from the dragon... phooey....not soo much bruh...
imagine if u bought a car from nissan and nissan owned a few gas stations ...wud filling up by their station allow u to get a discount in ur mthly payment premium ??

it does in certain places . in the US for example membership at costco gets you cheaper gas at their stations.
Right here in trinidad membership at pricesmart gets you an additional 20 % of at the payless located on their compound , i think is 10% off at the drug store on their compound (for prescription drugs )
their bottled water is much cheaper .
Wasa water at our taps should be of a quality fit for human consumption there should be need for people to have filtration systems . i presently drink the tap water, is my quality of water going to decrease?
Again this is going to introduce more plastic waste.
Has wasa thought about how they going to get other costumers to switch from the other filtered water which is currently in the market
Granted they wont have to spend any money on the water but they still have to set up a bottling system and as we all know what should cost 5 dollars will cost them 500 dollars

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » January 13th, 2018, 7:23 am

The genesis of this process to bottle WASA water is possibly coming out of those discussions, and I am encouraging the utility to explore all possible options. However, we are very far from making any definitive decision in this regard.

We are also cognisant as we explore these options that we are mindful of the value added to the citizens of TT and the financial viability of the project and the crowding-out effect it could potentially have on private-sector investmentt.”

The quality of water in this country has already been described as being good and sources said yesterday it was an excellent opportunity for WASA to earn some income and return to a good financial footing

So the man responds to a question, saying The ministry is exploring options to bring revenue to the Authority,all options are being examined,and we are mindful of how these options may impact the private sector if implemented.

and you all complaining.

I dont like the idea of WASA bottling water-it will end up like NP where you are forcing private sector capital to compete against its supplier.

BUt frankly the strategy of exploring all options properly is what is needed.

As to the revamping of WASA....in the Senate this week it was stated that there were multiple rationalization exercises that were in train in 2010....for eg they had began downsizing from 5000 down to some 2-3000 which was in line with international standards re water produced per employee. By 2015 the roster was back up to 5000+
This has been restarted.

Given the current lack of funding-the authority is constrained on how it proceeds on new projects and on going maintenance.
They have reduced the amount of work that was contracted out to certain contractors-despite having the in house capability in the re bloated employee roster

A lot more was said but I know stating the facts isnt what is wanted by the UNC sycophants here.

I can say that not one of the statements was challenged in or out of Parliament.

Coming back to the bottled water.

If the article quoted the minister as saying 'we checking it out to make a decision'....wtf is the problem with his approach?
While I disagree with the IDEA-his approach is spot on.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 13th, 2018, 7:42 am

Redman wrote:

The genesis of this process to bottle WASA water is possibly coming out of those discussions, and I am encouraging the utility to explore all possible options. However, we are very far from making any definitive decision in this regard.

We are also cognisant as we explore these options that we are mindful of the value added to the citizens of TT and the financial viability of the project and the crowding-out effect it could potentially have on private-sector investmentt.”

The quality of water in this country has already been described as being good and sources said yesterday it was an excellent opportunity for WASA to earn some income and return to a good financial footing

So the man responds to a question, saying The ministry is exploring options to bring revenue to the Authority,all options are being examined,and we are mindful of how these options may impact the private sector if implemented.

and you all complaining.

I dont like the idea of WASA bottling water-it will end up like NP where you are forcing private sector capital to compete against its supplier.

As to the revamping of WASA....in the Senate this week it was stated that there were multiple rationalization exercises that were in train in 2010....for eg they had began downsizing from 5000 down to some 2-3000 which was in line with international standards re water produced per employee. By 2015 the roster was back up to 5000+
This has been restarted.

Given the current lack of funding-the authority is constrained on how it proceeds on new projects and on going maintenance.
They have reduced the amount of work that was contracted out to certain contractors-despite having the in house capability in the re bloated employee roster

A lot more was said but I know stating the facts isnt what is wanted by the UNC sycophants here.

I can say that not one of the statements was challenged in or out of Parliament.

If the article quoted the minister as saying 'we checking it out to make a decision'....wtf is the problem with his approach?

WASA's core business is water treatment, distribution and maintenance right?
WASA is presently in dire financial straits now right?
WASA has stated that the leaks on its transmission system is causing inefficiencies and loss of this natural resource right?
Last edited by De Dragon on January 13th, 2018, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » January 13th, 2018, 7:44 am

*comes in thread*
SMH
*leaves thread*

*remembers mih granny used to say "if yuh have nuttin good to say, shut up!"*

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » January 13th, 2018, 7:49 am

WASA don't have water to supply customers that they already have, but they want to bottle something they don't have ? Makes a lot of sense.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 13th, 2018, 7:52 am

rspann wrote:WASA don't have water to supply customers that they already have, but they want to bottle something they don't have ? Makes a lot of sense.

Redman will defend any PNM initiative, no matter how inane or unrealistic.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » January 13th, 2018, 7:53 am

De Dragon wrote:
Redman wrote:

and you all complaining.

This has been restarted.

WASA's core business is water treatment, distribution and maintenance right?
WASA is presently in dire financial straits now right?
WASA has stated that the leaks on its transmission system is causing inefficiencies and loss of this natural resource right?
All correct Dragon....and therin lies the solution. Wasa men will get overtime to fill up empty bottles from the leaks..I expect the water to be of a variety of flavors.

Specialist Baboons
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Specialist Baboons » January 13th, 2018, 8:09 am

People can’t even get water on a timely basis, especially those in south but they want to supply bottle water for all.

Bottled water for environs north of grand bazaar

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » January 13th, 2018, 8:21 am

Allyuh sure is Le H unt the man name?

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » January 13th, 2018, 8:30 am

De Dragon wrote:
rspann wrote:WASA don't have water to supply customers that they already have, but they want to bottle something they don't have ? Makes a lot of sense.

Redman will defend any PNM initiative, no matter how inane or unrealistic.

this was in the post you quoted.
staed 2x that I didnt like the idea

You quick to talk-slow to read and comprehend.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » January 13th, 2018, 8:33 am

In fact I challenge any one here to criticize the approach of the Minister.

Tell me where based on what he said you disagree with the strategy.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 13th, 2018, 8:35 am

lol they done throwing away 50% of the water they produce already

tbh though our pipeborne water is of high health standard
few countries people drink straight out of a tap without fear of stomach issues
of course taste is a different matter depending on location etc

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » January 13th, 2018, 8:47 am

wait nah, so it easier to set up a plant to bottle water, than say, just train these workers properly on roadworks repair?
The question is why the CEO just does not address an issue like the civil engineering oversight on all these repair works and do the job properly as it should be done. Just that one single thing. Nobody asking for miracles overnight. Just one thing.

But no, it easier to cook up another scheme and sell it to a Government Minister so somebody else could make extra money, while bleeding it in losses everywhere else. Makes sense right? Right?! That's the best approach eh?

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » January 13th, 2018, 8:54 am

:roll:
Apparently its easier to believe that this is all that is going on.

You all should look for the JSC where WASA spoke....you would get more insight-most of what you all thisnk SHOULD be done is being done...

the man was asked a question.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 13th, 2018, 9:27 am

Redman wrote::roll:
Apparently its easier to believe that this is all that is going on.

You all should look for the JSC where WASA spoke....you would get more insight-most of what you all thisnk SHOULD be done is being done...

the man was asked a question.
Time to sell wasa like they did Caroni

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 13th, 2018, 11:19 am

wasa cyar repair its own 100yr old pipes but want to go into a new venture - wda

allyuh really feel d 1% water mafia will actually allow wasa to sell water , like lekunt open he mouth without informing dr. shitkicker or both their real masters

it will never happen ...

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » January 13th, 2018, 11:45 am

Rovin's Audio wrote:wasa cyar repair its own 100yr old pipes but want to go into a new venture - wda

allyuh really feel d 1% water mafia will actually allow wasa to sell water , like lekunt open he mouth without informing dr. shitkicker or both their real masters

it will never happen ...
Exactly...

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 13th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Great idea for income source diversification.
Bottled water is expensive.
It's a quick win for wasa to get this off the ground, low risk high reward.

Wasa is operating at a loss and has difficulty collecting revenue; a new income stream can help alleviate their existing woes, such as ancient infrastructure and distribution. Money does not print itself.

It's called innovation; and I agree with this move.

IDGAF about this govt and how they run the country, but some of y'all a little blinded by political hate.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » January 13th, 2018, 3:25 pm

What next.... T&TEC to sell batteries???

fatboy slim
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby fatboy slim » January 13th, 2018, 5:30 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:Great idea for income source diversification.

Wasa is operating at a loss and has difficulty collecting revenue; a new income stream can help alleviate their existing woes, such as ancient infrastructure and distribution. Money does not print itself.

IDGAF about this govt and how they run the country, but some of y'all a little blinded by political hate.

Some people not getting pipe borne water for months and wasa want to get into bottle water business ?
That is total disrespect for those poor dry tap souls. :cry:
If wasa was providing excellent service to all the paying customers then I will support the bottle water venture. :roll:

fatboy slim
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby fatboy slim » January 13th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Gladiator wrote:What next.... T&TEC to sell batteries???

Ha ha the batteries might last 2 months.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » January 13th, 2018, 6:03 pm

fatboy slim wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:Great idea for income source diversification.

Some people not getting pipe borne water for months and wasa want to get into bottle water business ?
That is total disrespect for those poor dry tap souls. :cry:
If wasa was providing excellent service to all the paying customers then I will support the bottle water venture. :roll:

I dont see what 1 thing has to do with the other.
with the 4000+ people working at WASA-they can do both.

WASA/GORTT owns all the water-the bottle water cos need to pay WASA for the access.
How do you compete with your supplier?
When WASA raises the cost these bottlers pay-is it anti competition???

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » January 13th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Redman ,in theory it's a good business idea , it can make money , and you're correct on those points . But if they can't manage their mandate right now ,which is to provide water to the country , everybody ,then why do you think they'll be successful with this venture?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”