TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

UTT B.A.Sc / B. Eng / B. Tech a load of BS?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Re: UTT B.A.Sc / B. Eng / B. Tech a load of BS?

Postby Cantmis » March 2nd, 2018, 1:06 pm

Utt diploma is all you need

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » March 2nd, 2018, 7:26 pm

Curtms wrote:Utt diploma is all you need
Still need to finish that one yes

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » March 3rd, 2018, 9:05 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Quoting from people who in a recruiting department "them degree from utt, sams, costatt,sbcs etc etc" is pure failure...

See, the funny thing is that UTT and UWI carry the same accreditation, both locally and internationally. While there may be shortcomings in the institution, unless the people who cry down UTT are more qualified than the representatives of an internationally recognized accreditation body, I'd take their word with a pinch of salt. Then again, perception in T&T is a hell of a thing too. UWI is older so it must be better. An item is more expensive (overpriced) so, it must be better. Trinis.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 3rd, 2018, 9:16 am

Joshie23 wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Quoting from people who in a recruiting department "them degree from utt, sams, costatt,sbcs etc etc" is pure failure...

See, the funny thing is that UTT and UWI carry the same accreditation, both locally and internationally. While there may be shortcomings in the institution, unless the people who cry down UTT are more qualified than the representatives of an internationally recognized accreditation body, I'd take their word with a pinch of salt. Then again, perception in T&T is a hell of a thing too. UWI is older so it must be better. An item is more expensive (overpriced) so, it must be better. Trinis.

Not really

UWI Engineering degrees has like Triple accreditation last I heard where as UTT has 1 expired accreditation.

Have you seen the exam papers for Engineering degrees at UTT? it is the same as CAPE. The difference in the amount of work required at UWI and UTT is night and day. There is a reason that UTT accepts anybody to do a degree where as UWI has a strict entry requirement.

There is a reason UTT does NOT offer BSc degrees in Engineering. Just think about it for a second UTT does NOT even offer real BSc degrees in Engineering and to top it off it doesn't even have the same accreditation as UWI and even if they did have the same accreditation they still do NOT offer BSc.

This is why T&TEC only accepts degrees from UWI and NOT UTT. Has nothing to do with bias or ignorance etc.

UTT was created by the PNM for people who didn't have the grades to enter UWI

This is not taking a sh!t on UTT or anything like that, it is just a fact. There is an electrical engineering teacher at UTT and he makes sure to remind students often that in his own words "when you go out in the field your boss will be a UWI graduate" I am sure those who attended UTT and did Engineering will know who I am talking about, he never seems to have any issues pointing out to his students that they are not attending a real University.

Basically UTT is only good for Trinidad, it wouldn't help you internationally. And FYI, I have a padner who graduated from UWI with his electrical and computer engineering BSc and he still cannot find a job. These days it is about who knows you more than anything else.

PapaC
Riding on 17's

Postby PapaC » March 3rd, 2018, 9:35 am

^^ So you saying that a University exam is the same level as CAPE right...

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » March 3rd, 2018, 10:41 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
Joshie23 wrote:

Not really

UWI Engineering degrees has like Triple accreditation last I heard where as UTT has 1 expired accreditation.

Have you seen the exam papers for Engineering degrees at UTT? it is the same as CAPE. The difference in the amount of work required at UWI and UTT is night and day. There is a reason that UTT accepts anybody to do a degree where as UWI has a strict entry requirement.

There is a reason UTT does NOT offer BSc degrees in Engineering. Just think about it for a second UTT does NOT even offer real BSc degrees in Engineering and to top it off it doesn't even have the same accreditation as UWI and even if they did have the same accreditation they still do NOT offer BSc.

This is why T&TEC only accepts degrees from UWI and NOT UTT. Has nothing to do with bias or ignorance etc.

UTT was created by the PNM for people who didn't have the grades to enter UWI

This is not taking a sh!t on UTT or anything like that, it is just a fact. There is an electrical engineering teacher at UTT and he makes sure to remind students often that in his own words "when you go out in the field your boss will be a UWI graduate" I am sure those who attended UTT and did Engineering will know who I am talking about, he never seems to have any issues pointing out to his students that they are not attending a real University.

Basically UTT is only good for Trinidad, it wouldn't help you internationally. And FYI, I have a padner who graduated from UWI with his electrical and computer engineering BSc and he still cannot find a job. These days it is about who knows you more than anything else.
Who u know and who knows u.. facts of life

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 3rd, 2018, 1:49 pm

That is the facts of living in trinidad...who yuh modda and fadda know...and well which party card you playing

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » March 3rd, 2018, 3:12 pm

tr1ad wrote:
skylinechild wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:Degree aint getting you squat these days. Nowhere hiring...

actually where i working they hiring...

questionnaire

1. do you have no common sense?
2 do you have a doh care attitude?
3. do you know where the next boat ride is even before they announce it ?
4. do you know other ppl business more than the ppl themselves?
5. are you stupid.?
6. are you unable to understand simple English and spell??

if you answered YES to all of the above questions them where i work is ideal for you.
pay is $5721 per mth ( less due to statutory taxes)

where to send meh CV?

at the bottom of the page with the green bee... go like yuhself

GLANIMAL
3NE 2NR for life

Postby GLANIMAL » March 3rd, 2018, 4:27 pm

Have some friends who graduated with Utt degree...and their whole class from what he said plus the year before him and after got good paying jobs in the energy sector ..any of the energy companies you think of..ppl got jobs

Please do your research before u post BS

GLANIMAL
3NE 2NR for life

Postby GLANIMAL » March 3rd, 2018, 4:28 pm

His year..in his class of 29ppl..all got jobs...some took a while..but all got jobs

streetbeastINC.
punchin NOS

Postby streetbeastINC. » March 3rd, 2018, 4:56 pm

After i did a few diplomas, masters with jhu online I cannot for hell sit in a classroom setting again to deal with our arrogant lecturers here teaching outdated concepts in important Fields

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » March 3rd, 2018, 5:46 pm

To be honest I did the CPO programme at UTT, it was easy but also informative. Luckily because of it I gained employment as a PPO.

Out here looking at who employed with degrees. The uwi graduates with higher GPAs are obviously preferred..

However as I am employed already I am going back to UTT to do process engineering as I am comfortable there and the hours and location is better for me.. don't really care about accreditation I just wanna learn..

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » March 3rd, 2018, 6:08 pm

infinite_RPM wrote:To be honest I did the CPO programme at UTT, it was easy but also informative. Luckily because of it I gained employment as a PPO.

Out here looking at who employed with degrees. The uwi graduates with higher GPAs are obviously preferred..

However as I am employed already I am going back to UTT to do process engineering as I am comfortable there and the hours and location is better for me.. don't really care about accreditation I just wanna learn..
Nice take in the info...I myself wanted to do ppo at one point in life...

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 3rd, 2018, 7:12 pm

GLANIMAL wrote:Have some friends who graduated with Utt degree...and their whole class from what he said plus the year before him and after got good paying jobs in the energy sector ..any of the energy companies you think of..ppl got jobs

Please do your research before u post BS

And when did I or anybody say otherwise? or did you not bother to read the post?

I am simply pointing out that UTT does NOT offer any BSc degrees in Engineering and furthermore their BASc degrees in Engineering doesn't even have proper accreditation.

UWI on the other hand has triple accreditation in actual real BSc Engineering Degrees.

Also T&TEC does NOT accept Electrical Engineering Degrees from UTT and this is a absolute fact. They accept Diplomas from UTT but not Degrees. They only accept Engineering Degrees from UWI and for very obvious reasons. And good luck finding jobs in the energy field right now, I have a cousin who has a Mechanical Engineering BSc from UWI with First Class Honors and who worked in the oil field for over 12 years and is currently working Massy as a manager because of how hard it is to find employment in the energy sector due to the economic situation this country faces.

If you feel that these days you are going to go UTT, complete a degree and be guaranteed a good job in the energy sector you are dreaming.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » March 3rd, 2018, 7:20 pm

Even CPO still applicable.. my friend finished it last year and got through as a trainee in PCS..

The way the job market is you can do anything and still not get a job.. in the downtime just keep educating yourself no matter what it is or from what school.. the way things going with gate, is possible having a degree may become relevant in years to come

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » March 3rd, 2018, 8:55 pm

infinite_RPM wrote:Even CPO still applicable.. my friend finished it last year and got through as a trainee in PCS..

The way the job market is you can do anything and still not get a job.. in the downtime just keep educating yourself no matter what it is or from what school.. the way things going with gate, is possible having a degree may become relevant in years to come
So true yes...agreed..gives the future some hope

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » March 3rd, 2018, 9:25 pm

1) I would ask ED if he knows what differentiates a B.A.Sc. from a B.Sc. from a B.Tech. and what not but asking Google is a real thing so any counter arguments won't be anything but regurgitated information. But please, research the differences, enlighten yourself and then come back and delete your posts. We won't laugh;

2) I'm getting the feeling a UTT graduate take 'way ED gf;

3) Could it be that said UTT graduate is ED's neighbour, resulting in the chest burn? Who knows, tune in next time to 'Shut Yuh Mouth, Go Away, Mama Look A Booboo Dey!!'

bassotronics
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby bassotronics » March 3rd, 2018, 10:10 pm

in terms of hiring, most companies chose UWI degrees over UTT, however UTT comes in 2nd place, this comes from the engineering field. Not certain for other areas of study.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 3rd, 2018, 10:16 pm

Joshie23 wrote:1) I would ask ED if he knows what differentiates a B.A.Sc. from a B.Sc. from a B.Tech. and what not but asking Google is a real thing so any counter arguments won't be anything but regurgitated information. But please, research the differences, enlighten yourself and then come back and delete your posts. We won't laugh;

2) I'm getting the feeling a UTT graduate take 'way ED gf;

3) Could it be that said UTT graduate is ED's neighbour, resulting in the chest burn? Who knows, tune in next time to 'Shut Yuh Mouth, Go Away, Mama Look A Booboo Dey!!'

Again, taking facts as a personal insult is not a healthy thing.

Are you forgetting the title of the thread? the OP asked about the legitimacy of UTT degrees and why some industries like T&TEC does NOT recognize UTT degrees and is BASc etc a load of bull sh!t and I gave him an honest answer.
UTT degrees good for Trinidad alone and that is all there is to it, if you want to work outside you are better off spending that same $50K in UWI to get a proper BSc

Someone claimed UTT degrees has the same accreditation as UWI degrees and again I corrected him.

I mean are u suggesting that we LIE to the man so that we do not offend anyone attending UTT?
People should be given the best advice possible for what is an enormous amount of time and money that they invest into education.

Motofreek
Street 2NR

Postby Motofreek » March 4th, 2018, 11:47 am

OK let me say this: I know for a fact that several of the major companies in Pt. Lisas do not accept UTT degrees for engineering positions. One particular company actually sent out an internal memo stating that these UTT degrees in engineering is not recognized.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 4th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Motofreek wrote:OK let me say this: I know for a fact that several of the major companies in Pt. Lisas do not accept UTT degrees for engineering positions. One particular company actually sent out an internal memo stating that these UTT degrees in engineering is not recognized.

Thank you for this information, it will be valuable to people who are perusing tertiary education. A lot of people have always been skeptical about UTT degrees and there has been a lot of controversies surrounding UTT degrees.

As hard as it may be I think it is wise that if someone is spending $50,000 they are far better off going back to school to get the CAPE grades required for entry into UWI.

Motofreek
Street 2NR

Postby Motofreek » March 4th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Another subtle way that companies say that they don't want a UTT degree for an engineering position is that when a vacancy arises for an Engineer, their first requirement is a B.Sc in the decipline. NOT a B.A.Sc

...And who offers a B.Sc in engineering? That's right - Only UWI.

mad
Sweet on this forum

Postby mad » March 4th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Motofreek wrote:Hi All,

I am sorry to resurrect an old subject but I just want to know:

What type of jobs are available for these so called UTT engineering degrees?

I want to hear from actual graduates or co-workers of graduates from such degrees.

As far as I know, none of the major companies in the oil and gas, power or manufacturing sectors recognize these degrees. So then, why are they allowed to continue running?

I think UTT is giving hundreds of students false hope. If I am wrong please share your story.

Based on your responses on this thread it seems you already have the answers to most of your questions.
I think your real question is the one I highlighted in bold.

But as one person stated above. It is who you know that really dictates whether you will get the job or not, irregardless of UTT or UWI certification.
But I don't know why they continue to run. Sorry.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”