TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Braded steel brake lines

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » February 5th, 2010, 9:09 am

i never bought those racing fluids cause do you really geneate temps like that on the street and if you do then you shouldn't be on the street

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » February 5th, 2010, 9:20 am

^^^ yup, there's no point to it really...prolly the only time ppl get their brakes really hot is when riding the brakes all the way going to Maracas, but by the time u ready to go home, it's back to normal

I'm not interested in using an exotic brand that I can only get at specific places, cuz in case of emergencies...well...you could only get it at that specific place...

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » February 5th, 2010, 9:35 am

^^^ yup, there's no point to it really...prolly the only time ppl get their brakes really hot is when riding the brakes all the way going to Maracas, but by the time u ready to go home, it's back to normal

you always have a Maracas story eh :lol:

and most of that is a pad issue which would result in fluid heating

if you had a good pad that had an average time to heat then fluid won't be affected

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » February 5th, 2010, 9:46 am

:lol: eh, boy it doh stop wit de Maracas stories nuh...these days is valve seals, but I'll remedy that soon enough so next time ah doh smoke out de mosquito an dem! lol

Speaking of pads, I can't find this FBL brand we spoke about inno. I'm thinking to try the Bosch over the Wagner soon cuz I've a set of rotors to change put down. What are ur views on that?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » February 5th, 2010, 9:52 am

FBL would be had from El Socorro auto if they still have any
They now carry the GIC
Bosch works great. Available from Automotive Supplies

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » February 5th, 2010, 10:14 am

Nice, cuz the Wagners are "fine" but not "great"...I'm looking for "great" :lol: will try the Bosch if I get for my car.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » February 5th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Bosch is not great....

Wagner would be adequate, bosch good, Great would be Hawk HPS or Possibly Brembo Sport,EBC Greenstuff etc

Concerning the brake fluid.. http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_br ... d_1a.shtml

One of the best writeups ive seen from a reputable company/site

This is also an excellent resource.. look at the estimated boiling points after 6 months
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/BrakeFl ... rison.html

Even if DOT4 and DOT4 racing (such as the motul) have faster dropoff in boiling points when compared to your standard dot 3 or 4, the starting DBP is so high that you are still at an advantage over stock fluids.. The dropoff therefore is relative...

That said, ATE SuperBlue (which I have in the accord right now) has a rep for being very moisture resistant and is mixable with other fluids (say in an emergency situation)... Its the best compromise of a fluid I have seen.. That said, its a little more compressible than the much hyped Motul 600 in the Volvo, but there is a significant price difference to consider..
At about $16 US or $100TT after shipping for a litre of ATE, its the best deal around.. Even factor in the skybox charges, it landed me about $200 tt a bottle, I wasnt sure if they sold it locally or not...

Who sells these racing fluids locally and if so, at what price?

------
Final statement, Maracas isnt the most punishing road really, people just ride brakes too much for their cheapo "titanium" pads and their 5 yr old lockheed dot3 to handle.. Smart people gear down 1 or 2 and save the brakes and the horrible smell!

Hardest road on the brakes I have ever driven is the extension of the Northside road in Tobago from L'Anse Fourmi to Charlotteville.. Prior to my brake upgrade I completely cooked my brakes coming down here and I was in 1st gear mind you...
Maracas you just lose some braking, here I lost brakes completely and had to handbrake the car to a stop and let it cool off..

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » February 5th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Dave wrote:i never bought those racing fluids cause do you really geneate temps like that on the street and if you do then you shouldn't be on the street

Oh yea, and the main reason I went with racing fluid dave was not because of the boiling points (which are an obvious plus but I would have just gone DOT 5.1 if I was looking for a normal fluid with a high BP (btw, Mathura's in St James has Ferodo DOT 5.1 if anyone interested)

Anyway, main reason was for the reduced compressibility of racing fluids.. aka better pedal response with a firmer feel..
And to tie it back to the original question in the thread, this goes extremely well with stainless lines..

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » February 5th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Not getting a Hawk pad for my application locally :(
Will try the Bosch.

I've received warning about those high performance pads tho, that they work terribly when cold. Most of us look for something that stops great when cold but doesn't drop off in performance drastically when hot either.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » February 5th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Terribly would be a lie actually, I have found that the Hawk HPS works just like any other pad when cold, but its once the temperatures begin to go up that they really shine..
Even when it comes to noise or dust, I havent found it to be any worse than your average pad..

Now, if you talking something serious like Hawk HP Plus, then yes, you should preheat those..

That said, Bosch is a very good pad for the price I like to think.. Best of luck with it and don't forget to put up a review..

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » February 5th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Thanks, will do!

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Braded steel brake lines

Postby X_Factor » March 25th, 2011, 7:37 pm

still loving the "satisified" brand recommended by dave
next will try the bendix disc pads or EBC ultimax

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » January 2nd, 2013, 7:21 pm

Would be nice if we could get a review 7 years on about those hoses that were made at ESWIL, Hi Tech Fluid Power, etc. fiveforward and the others, how are the hoses working? How much did they cost & on what vehicle? I'm upgrading my brakes as well & contemplating whether to import or have them made locally.
Also, Trinidad Hose is now making them as well >>> http://www.trinituner.com/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=473318&p=6771534#p6771534

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » May 25th, 2014, 11:50 pm

NR8 wrote:Would be nice if we could get a review 7 years on about those hoses that were made at ESWIL, Hi Tech Fluid Power, etc. fiveforward and the others, how are the hoses working? How much did they cost & on what vehicle? I'm upgrading my brakes as well & contemplating whether to import or have them made locally.
Also, Trinidad Hose is now making them as well >>> http://www.trinituner.com/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=473318&p=6771534#p6771534

any updates on this?

I need to make new brake lines(metal) for my car..."drum brakes" :oops: any recommendations?

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Re:

Postby WestIndian424 » May 28th, 2014, 3:31 pm

G20 wrote:ok...Hopes this makes it easier for everyone...

The name of the company is Hi Tech Fluid Power Limited...

2 Flament street..Port of Spain..tel# 624-7959

Mariner's Haven Compound, 1st Ave South..Chaguaramas..tel# 634-1991

Calmapas Village, Galeota Point..tel# 630-2278

13 Alice Street..La Romain..tel# 652-5802 / 5791

33 O'meara Road...Arima..tel# 667-6065 / 2612

8)

none of the numbers seem to be working :oops: ...does this company still exist?

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » May 28th, 2014, 11:37 pm

Trinidad Hose is the blue building on the right, at the western end of Mucurapo Rd., not so?

I had a steel braided oil line done there a couple years ago. Just had to carry the fittings I was going to use it for. Well built, short wait, courteous staff. Can't remember how much I paid though.

WestIndian424
Riding on 17's

Postby WestIndian424 » May 28th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Hook wrote:Trinidad Hose is the blue building on the right, at the western end of Mucurapo Rd., not so?

I had a steel braided oil line done there a couple years ago. Just had to carry the fittings I was going to use it for. Well built, short wait, courteous staff. Can't remember how much I paid though.

ok thanks will check trinidad hose tomorrow...I need the metal lines that run from the booster to the drum made :oops:

COROLLA KID
Riding on 16's

Postby COROLLA KID » June 11th, 2014, 3:15 pm

The lines made at Trinidad hose, ESWIL. is just as good as Goodridge or other performance brand brake lines,
its the same material used except your paying 2x more for the Goodridge brand name........These local companies are professionals when it comes to these things so why wouldn't it be good? because its not made by goodridge??
I know a couple people who made lines there and had no problems at all..

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » June 12th, 2014, 12:34 am

You would think that the price would be cheaper locally, but no. Check here...
As compared to the $110usd I paid for a Goodridge kit online and the hoses were longer than those.

COROLLA KID
Riding on 16's

Postby COROLLA KID » June 12th, 2014, 9:16 am

Trinidad hose does them for 450 ttd.......the most expensive thing in those lines are the lines it self which is like $60-80 per foot

maybe if you bring in the Goodridge kits your self it will cost less but if you have to buy from a performance shop your looking spend close to a grand....

but i guess it all comes down to if you trust the local guy with your brakes...lol
I work for an Inspection company that does non destructive testing and all of the stuff that comes out of Trinidad hose are made with pretty good quality....so far

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » July 12th, 2014, 7:53 am

Well I checked Trinidad Hose this week and they said their ss brake lines are $225 per foot inclusive of new fittings so the total would be similar to what this user paid. Dunno where you got that $450 from corolla kid...

renegade_wolf
Street 2NR

Postby renegade_wolf » December 13th, 2015, 9:24 pm

Anybody know the length of the front brake lines that the N16 SG Almera. (487mm or 463mm)
and the rear brake hoses (335mm)

Looking to get a set of ss brake lines but need exact measurements for supplier to provide a quote.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 19th, 2018, 5:02 pm

COROLLA KID wrote:The lines made at Trinidad hose, ESWIL. is just as good as Goodridge or other performance brand brake lines,
its the same material used except your paying 2x more for the Goodridge brand name........These local companies are professionals when it comes to these things so why wouldn't it be good? because its not made by goodridge??

Its been just about 4 years, anyone had issues with any?

I need to replace a line and thinking about going this route. A tuner was telling me last night of a steel braided line that blew out on a hilux and he got in an accident. Would it have been a cheaper line that this happened to?

I have goodridge lines on the vehicle and no issues. Seems a hard line kink somewhere and I dont know where, line is dry after a joint.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » March 19th, 2018, 7:30 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
COROLLA KID wrote:The lines made at Trinidad hose, ESWIL. is just as good as Goodridge or other performance brand brake lines,

Its been just about 4 years, anyone had issues with any?

I need to replace a line and thinking about going this route. A tuner was telling me last night of a steel braided line that blew out on a hilux and he got in an accident. Would it have been a cheaper line that this happened to?

I have goodridge lines on the vehicle and no issues. Seems a hard line kink somewhere and I dont know where, line is dry after a joint.

Nerve its been about 2 yrs or so since i did my rear brake upgrade complete with SS lines from Trinidad hose.

hose held up well no issues what so ever.
personally we've all heard "stories" of ss lines ( or some other bad part) failing on someone but yet no one can provide a name of the person or exact details on what took place - so i 'll tend to believe that with a pinch of salt.

i'm not saying that SS hoses cant fail... it cud be due to a fault crimping initially and over time the pressure cause the fault to become more obvious and the line split open and fail....

if you have a faulty brake hose and want to get it remade in ss go for it.
and trinidad hose does pressure testing of the line as well..just tell them you want the hose pressure tested - they'll do it and it comes with a little certificate with it - costs a little more but it will put ur mind at ease if u worried about ss hose failure.

and goodridge is good stuff but why pay more for the same quality if not better locally from trinidad hose ??

if your hard line kink you need to find out where and work from there -
it cud also be the line clogged highly unlikey but dont rule it out... ( is trinidad things does happen)

i not too sure but if you thinking about doing this >>> replace section of hard line with ss hose - i dunno but it could work - you just need someway of installing the hose fitting and doing the compression coupling onto the line , in order to thread onto a ss hose. << thinking you have to cut into the hard line ...

also there may be some pressure drop as the hard line is one diameter and the ss hose is another - so lets say if u have a hard line from the abs pump to the proportional valve that not allowing fluid to pass....and you replace that section of hard line with ss hose...

yea it should work as both ends already have the necessary fittings.. you just need to remove the hard line and get a ss hose duplicate made....

but as i said.. you may have a pressure drop eah......perhaps the more experienced tuners cud clarify.....

bear in mind doing it like this they may not allow u onto a race track eah....

theres a reason hard lines are one straight piece from front to back.
reason i would think is to minimize brake line failure from multiple fittings from one compression fitting to another....to another to another.

(ss= stainless steel - for those who dunno)

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 19th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Trinidad hose no longer does them, eswil does.

There is a joint under the rear seat. It continues from there along the handbrake and abs line, into a seam between the fuel tank and body, under the sub frame, out the subframe, makes a U and joins the steel braided line. I want to replace that length of ss line. Will have to take out the subframe to replace it. Diff and thing have to drop to take it out. Real work.

Regardless of line size, once primed with fluid the pressure should be the same. No?

If i reroute the line and replace the current steel braided line its about a 2 feet run as opposed to nearly 4 to 5 that is currently there.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 19th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Why wont I be allowed on the track with them? I understand its popular with a lot of these drift cars (odd how most are silent on the issue).

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » March 19th, 2018, 9:10 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Trinidad hose no longer does them, eswil does.

There is a joint under the rear seat. It continues from there along the handbrake and abs line, into a seam between the fuel tank and body, under the sub frame, out the subframe, makes a U and joins the steel braided line. I want to replace that length of ss line. Will have to take out the subframe to replace it. Diff and thing have to drop to take it out. Real work.

Regardless of line size, once primed with fluid the pressure should be the same. No?

If i reroute the line and replace the current steel braided line its about a 2 feet run as opposed to nearly 4 to 5 that is currently there.

Why wont I be allowed on the track with them? I understand its popular with a lot of these drift cars (odd how most are silent on the issue).

nerve... trinidad hoes does make ss hoses.... the issue is... THEY HAVE NO STEEL BRAID HOSE IN STOCK to actually make a brake hose.... they outta stock a while now....

friend of mine bought his ss hose about 3 ft from somewhere else - dunno where he got it...
took it to them and they made the ss brake hose for him.

you hadda forgive me eah i not a subaru-ologist so i cant exactly picture where / how that brake line run and the reasoning for it.

perhaps pics of the issue and the intended work ??

reason why they wont allow you onto a track - pressure couplings cud fail under extreme use - ie drag / drift.. sh!t cud get scary with no brakes on a short track.

if you going to physically cut a hard line and put compression fittings onto it in order to accept a ss brake hose.... thats a negative.

if you going to unbolt a damaged hard line that runs from one component to another - and both ends of whatever the hard line screws into has fittings on it so no cut of said lines or die / compression tool is needed.... ie replacing a solid line with fittings on both sides with a ss line with fittings on both sides.....

me thinks u cud get away with it.

pressure wise... it should work but dont hold me to it.... i is not a physics-ologist

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 19th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Have no intentions of putting that vehicle under stress. All run is a fun run for me.
Sure as hell cant control that kind of power.

Just know that under the car is not like the usual sentra.

The braided is a temp replacement until I doing rear bushings if I am not confident they wont hold out. Car camr with goodridge braided lines from the caliper to the ss lines btw. And I gave them brakes some jamming already.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » March 19th, 2018, 9:53 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Have no intentions of putting that vehicle under stress. All run is a fun run for me.
Sure as hell cant control that kind of power.

Just know that under the car is not like the usual sentra.

The braided is a temp replacement until I doing rear bushings if I am not confident they wont hold out. Car camr with goodridge braided lines from the caliper to the ss lines btw. And I gave them brakes some jamming already.

hmm keep me posted

but as i said... if you doing to cut a hard line and get die and compression tool to put on a compression fitting onto the line in order to accept a stainless steel braided line.... negative on that.

if u goin to unbolt a hard line with fittings on both ends and you going to replace it with a stainless steel braided hose.... then yea.... try it....

i hadda come down south by u one of these days and check out weapon X.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 20th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Im not cutting anything..

Its an entire length of line. From nut to nut.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”