Forums

Mountain Biking

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Mountain Biking

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 27th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Don't. Ride the old one and get back in the groove first. Else you might spend a fuckton and park it

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 28th, 2018, 11:37 am

My Sunday ride was pretty good. :-)Image

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » January 29th, 2018, 4:29 pm

^^Nice

VexXx Dogg wrote:Don't. Ride the old one and get back in the groove first. Else you might spend a fuckton and park it

What you doin' dred? Was feeding off the inspiration of seeing all the new bikes and gear in here :lol:

Sent the old bike for a couple repairs last week, but still hoping to get myself mentally ready to get back into full swing when I get it back.

blacklight
Sweet on this forum

Postby blacklight » January 29th, 2018, 4:31 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:My Sunday ride was pretty good. :-)Image

You does make this ride alone? Purely roads?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 29th, 2018, 4:34 pm

blacklight wrote:

Yup. Solo. It's pure road so if something happens I can phone for help. Granted those roads are horrible and give my front fork a helluva workout. I tried downhill on those bad roads with the front locked out and Jesus my teeth were rattling around my skull

blacklight
Sweet on this forum

Postby blacklight » January 29th, 2018, 4:39 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
blacklight wrote:

Yup. Solo. It's pure road so if something happens I can phone for help. Granted those roads are horrible and give my front fork a helluva workout. I tried downhill on those bad roads with the front locked out and Jesus my teeth were rattling around my skull

What’s your name on Strava?..... I’ll
Try this route a morning since chag is off limits till carnival is over

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 29th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Noveck Gowandan
Holla

gencon
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby gencon » January 30th, 2018, 12:36 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
blacklight wrote:

you passing right by me on your route, i could just fall in with the specicalized i have. hit me up when you going again.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 2nd, 2018, 8:48 pm

thread dead?
Made waterloo to piparo mud volcano sunday gone.

Went on the Indian trail/ Mayo route, and it was tough as hell, especially on the return leg. Ran out of steam on those climbs, but pushed to finish.

Picture3.png

Picture2.png

Bottom bracket is making bad noise, gotta get it sorted. a loud knock, it's driving me crazy.
Might switch to less knobby tyres to improve my asphalt time.
Time to check back Mike's for a service.

Want some minor upgrades, maybe some lights, extra bags and I definitely need another insulated water bottle.
scored a good milspec camelback from my dad, but I eh get around to using it yet.

I must say that hyrdaulic disc brakes are a godsend espec for downhill descent, less fatigue on my grip.

What y'all up to?

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 2nd, 2018, 9:01 pm

I don't really go much distance with my Fuji Nevada 1.9 - 26 inch wheel MTB.

But I ride 12 miles a day Mon to Fri. And today I went by my father in El Dorado so that was a nice ride from St Helena. I suppose its nothing compared to real riders out there, I use a MTB because I can keep my back straight, the wind is a huge killer though so I guess this is where road bikes come in but my belly too big to bend down so low on a road bike. LOL

Since the beginning of this year I have done about 700 miles on my bike so far, I bought it Christmas.

I love my bike but hate the fact that the wheels are only 26 inch. Always has this thing in the back of my mind telling me to sell it and get a 29 or 27.5 but since the tires on this bike are very big honestly the bike doesn't look bad I think the huge tires makes up for the wheel size.

My Fork isn't hydraulic though its only spring so that is one major drawback besides wheel size. I have attached to the bike a Turbo Morph G pump and Cygo Lite Streak 450 lumen. It flashes at 650 Lumen, it is blinding at nights. If you have it on flashing mode and the road is dark it can damage your eye if the light hits the white line on the road.

One thing I notice about this bike the wheel NEVER goes out of true even with my 250 pound weight in offroad, not sure if its because the wheel is smaller but when I had a 29er years ago a similar Fuji the wheel would always go out of true when I hit a bump, this one is just perfect, dunno if its because small wheel size is stronger? I doubt it.... they probably just using better machines for manufacturing now.

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 11th, 2018, 9:29 am

I'm chiming here, recently as in two weeks ago bought a Trek Marlin 5 - awesome !!

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » April 11th, 2018, 1:16 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:I don't really go much distance with my Fuji Nevada 1.9 - 26 inch wheel MTB.

But I ride 12 miles a day Mon to Fri. And today I went by my father in El Dorado so that was a nice ride from St Helena. I suppose its nothing compared to real riders out there, I use a MTB because I can keep my back straight, the wind is a huge killer though so I guess this is where road bikes come in but my belly too big to bend down so low on a road bike. LOL

Since the beginning of this year I have done about 700 miles on my bike so far, I bought it Christmas.

I love my bike but hate the fact that the wheels are only 26 inch. Always has this thing in the back of my mind telling me to sell it and get a 29 or 27.5 but since the tires on this bike are very big honestly the bike doesn't look bad I think the huge tires makes up for the wheel size.

My Fork isn't hydraulic though its only spring so that is one major drawback besides wheel size. I have attached to the bike a Turbo Morph G pump and Cygo Lite Streak 450 lumen. It flashes at 650 Lumen, it is blinding at nights. If you have it on flashing mode and the road is dark it can damage your eye if the light hits the white line on the road.

One thing I notice about this bike the wheel NEVER goes out of true even with my 250 pound weight in offroad, not sure if its because the wheel is smaller but when I had a 29er years ago a similar Fuji the wheel would always go out of true when I hit a bump, this one is just perfect, dunno if its because small wheel size is stronger? I doubt it.... they probably just using better machines for manufacturing now.

How do those wheels hold up on the trail? Doesn't look like they would give much grip.

gencon
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby gencon » April 11th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Ed where you from? We could link up

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » April 11th, 2018, 8:51 pm

WTF I reading here - all yuh men is horse. 12 miles a day ! Jesus pieces. That’s like San Juan to Chaguanas

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » April 11th, 2018, 9:43 pm

that's doable, once upon a time when I was getting back in shape I did 40km

mark2.0
Riding on 17's

Postby mark2.0 » April 13th, 2018, 5:26 am

Fuji one4 27.5 mountain.
Attachments
Image.png

blacklight
Sweet on this forum

Postby blacklight » April 13th, 2018, 8:22 am

mark2.0 wrote:Fuji one4 27.5 mountain.
How is the terrain?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 13th, 2018, 8:50 am

Loving it.
what's your strava username? I

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » April 13th, 2018, 9:01 am

V2NR 3.0 wrote:WTF I reading here - all yuh men is horse. 12 miles a day ! Jesus pieces. That’s like San Juan to Chaguanas

You eh see Vexx Dog stats?? - 60kms. That's Port of Spain to San Do and on hills none the less.

mark2.0
Riding on 17's

Postby mark2.0 » April 15th, 2018, 5:49 am

blacklight wrote:
How is the terrain?

Back road, pitch, wood bridge, hardly any cars, some dogs, some hills, potholes etc etc

blacklight
Sweet on this forum

Postby blacklight » April 15th, 2018, 11:06 am

mark2.0 wrote:
blacklight wrote:
How is the terrain?

Back road, pitch, wood bridge, hardly any cars, some dogs, some hills, potholes etc etc
Will check it out

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 15th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Road cyclists regularly do 50-70miles in a few hours

V2NR 3.0 wrote:WTF I reading here - all yuh men is horse. 12 miles a day ! Jesus pieces. That’s like San Juan to Chaguanas

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 15th, 2018, 2:05 pm

yeah 12 miles is nothing, you must keep in mind a bike is designed to make movement from point A to point B as effortless as possible and it does that very good. Yess you pedal you are the motor but that does not mean it takes a lot of effort.

Then there are roadbikes, lighter frames and wheels, very thin tires with super high PSI makes rolling resistance small and hence riding 50 miles even easier. There is a misconception that cycling takes a lot of fitness and effort, it actually does not.

I does save a LOT of money in transport by using my bike to commute to work but the biggest factor for me is the traffic. That traffic from Curepe to St Helena is too dread on evenings and mornings. I does mash that up with my bike, just ride in the center of the road on the white line but only do it when there is traffic stand still, NOT a good idea to ride in the middle of the road when cars speeding.

foots
3NE 2NR for life

Postby foots » April 15th, 2018, 4:01 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:yeah 12 miles is nothing, you must keep in mind a bike is designed to make movement from point A to point B as effortless as possible and it does that very good. Yess you pedal you are the motor but that does not mean it takes a lot of effort.

Then there are roadbikes, lighter frames and wheels, very thin tires with super high PSI makes rolling resistance small and hence riding 50 miles even easier. There is a misconception that cycling takes a lot of fitness and effort, it actually does not.

I does save a LOT of money in transport by using my bike to commute to work but the biggest factor for me is the traffic. That traffic from Curepe to St Helena is too dread on evenings and mornings. I does mash that up with my bike, just ride in the center of the road on the white line but only do it when there is traffic stand still, NOT a good idea to ride in the middle of the road when cars speeding.

I agree, standstill traffic is hands down the best/safest time to ride if you are commuting.
Free roads with fast moving traffic (e.g 50km/h) are a big no-no for me, i avoid them as best as I can. However I actually try not to hug the curb if i do find myself on such a road.
I know this might sound counterintuitive, but sometimes riding in the middle of the road is the safer thing to do. Google "why do cyclists ride in the middle of the road".
On a narrow lane (one that cannot accommodate a bicycle and a car side by side), with speeding cars coming up behind, it feels safer to hug the curb/gutter. I did this for a long time, but what tends to happen is that speeding cars will still squeeze past you and the curb, passing 2 inches from your handlebar at 60k......or they may clip the handlebar and send you to the pavement, or deeper. After having too many close calls while hugging the curb, I've learned to ride closer to the centre of the lane and try to keep up a decent pace (say 35 - 40km/h) for that narrow stretch of road, until it widens again and i can resume riding safely on the shoulder. Since adopting this, i've hardly had to worry about being rubbed down by cars passing alongside. When you are in the middle of the lane, the driver isn't forced into having to pass perilously close to you. They see you from far off, since you are directly in front of them, and can overtake you as if u were driving a car.

This is really hard to do on loooong stretches of road or uphill, where it is difficult to keep up any kinda pace for very long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9pmw2ckQSU&t=82s

The link above, at 1:06, shows the usual rubdown that happens when you keep too far to the left on a narrow road.

http://bicyclesafe.com/ This link shows ten ways not to get hit by cars, check it out! You probably are familiar with them all by now if you have been riding to and from work for a while.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » April 15th, 2018, 4:10 pm

What do you guys use for a more comfortable seat, my rear hurts the most during my rides.

foots
3NE 2NR for life

Postby foots » April 15th, 2018, 4:29 pm

SNIPER 3000 wrote:What do you guys use for a more comfortable seat, my rear hurts the most during my rides.

I find that the standard saddle that you get on an entry level trek mountain bike is really smooth and comfortable. It isn't too padded and it eh too bare. You can get one from Geronimo's in Woodbrook - sometimes when someone buys a bike there, they get rid of the original saddle, and the shop will in turn sell that to you for a $250. Everybody's preference is different though. Regardless of the saddle you have, if it is adjusted too low (so your legs aren't able to carry much of your body weight - it all rests on your sit bones instead) it may hurt after a while. Same goes for if it is tilted too much, either forwards or backwards. Regardless of how comfy a saddle is, most people will get soreness if they haven't been on a bike in several weeks/months/years and then just jump on it and go ride for an hour.

mark2.0
Riding on 17's

Postby mark2.0 » April 15th, 2018, 6:01 pm

blacklight wrote:
mark2.0 wrote:
blacklight wrote:
How is the terrain?

Will check it out

When, we coud probably link.

mark2.0
Riding on 17's

Postby mark2.0 » April 15th, 2018, 6:02 pm

SNIPER 3000 wrote:What do you guys use for a more comfortable seat, my rear hurts the most during my rides.

Buy a fat man seat, one that is broader.

30hz
Sweet on this forum

Postby 30hz » April 15th, 2018, 6:29 pm

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » April 15th, 2018, 9:12 pm

30hz wrote:

try these......
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A9WNVR2/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 padded cycle shorts

https://www.amazon.com/Zacro-Cover-BS031-Extra-Bicycle/dp/B01H71AZ36/ref=pd_sbs_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01H71AZ36&pd_rd_r=9D6SNYCJWPSJ7CN9R6F7&pd_rd_w=9c8y3&pd_rd_wg=Qqizk&psc=1&refRID=9D6SNYCJWPSJ7CN9R6F7 gel seat cover

i use both for longer rides

Nice will try them both.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”