Forums

Fatal accident at Wallerfield Drag Racing

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Fatal accident at Wallerfield Drag Racing

Postby RedVEVO » May 27th, 2018, 10:15 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:CTV says there was no roll-cage, but the car was outfitted with a roll cage.

A drag racer was killed in an accident at the Wallerfield Raceway on Sunday afternoon.

According to reports, Darren Sirjoo was taking part in a race in his Lexus Altezza, when he lost control of the vehicle. He crashed into the walk over to the side of the racing track.

He was pulled out of the wreckage, but CNews understands that his vehicle was not properly outfitted with a roll cage, a safety feature installed in most race cars.

As such, Sirjoo suffered fatal injuries. He was taken to the hospital but succumbed to his injuries at around 4:30pm.

Coincidentally on Saturday internationally recognised racer, Ryan Garcia, also crashed while racing at Wallerfield at the exact same location. However, he walked away from the wreck of his prize-winning SKF Lancer.

http://ctvtt.com/ctv/index.php/c-news/n ... al-raceway

New rules may be coming soon .

Cage looks fragile.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 27th, 2018, 11:08 pm

^^ the report seems to have an anti racing tone.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 28th, 2018, 12:32 am

The following is a statement from the President of TTASA

Dear Members,
I regret to confirm that Darren Sirjoo has passed away today as a result of an accident on the raceway. First and foremost, on behalf of TTASA’s entire membership, I send sincerest condolences to his family and dear ones. This is a tragedy and I kindly ask that we all respect their privacy and unite to support them.
At the moment, information regarding driver and machinery is being gathered to help us understand the cause. Contrary to claims on social media, the car was fully equipped with a roll-cage and other necessary safety gear. However, our full attention is focused right now on doing what any of us would want in a time like this: compassion and togetherness for his dear ones. I ask that our friends - our motorsports family especially- consider Darren’s family before sharing any graphic or insensitive photos and comments.
A full report will be shared as soon as we have all facts. The drag-strip at the Frankie Boodram Wallerfield International Raceway will remain closed until further notice.
Rest in peace Darren and may your loved ones be comforted. I will ensure that your memory lives on at the race track where you found so much joy.

Respectfully,
Fyzool Madan
President
TTASA

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » May 28th, 2018, 12:52 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:The following is a statement from the President of TTASA

the car was fully equipped with a roll-cage and other necessary safety gear.

Respectfully,
Fyzool Madan
President
TTASA

1 factor eliminated.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 28th, 2018, 5:07 am

yuh know deh won't say TTFS was absent from this event....or even say why

khandman
3NE 2NR for life

Postby khandman » May 28th, 2018, 5:44 am

Didn’t know the guy, but tragic non the less. He was racing in the supposed “best” environment for it. On the tracks and off the roads. Sincere condolences.

fatboy slim
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby fatboy slim » May 28th, 2018, 6:11 am

RedVEVO wrote:
randolphinshan wrote:Always sad to lose a racer who was racing in a racing facility.Just shows the fragility of life.
In before Zoom and RedVEVO blame Rowley.
RIP

RIP Randol

randol always putting politics in everything. bad luck will hit him hard one day.

fatboy slim
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby fatboy slim » May 28th, 2018, 6:12 am

RIP Darren Sirjoo

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » May 28th, 2018, 8:44 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:yuh know deh won't say TTFS was absent from this event....or even say why

Maybe because we still in the dry season technically and they don't have enough resources.

sarahjo
Street 2NR

Postby sarahjo » May 28th, 2018, 8:47 am

A young life lost in seconds, may God give patience to his family and loved ones.

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » May 28th, 2018, 9:01 am

Frankie Boodram did a phone session with the morning brew today. IMHO, he sounded very unprepared and did not do justice to the racing fraternity. Hopefully someone else would make themselves available and defend the sport.... we are a very egotistical society and we need avenues like these to satisfy these egos!

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » May 28th, 2018, 9:09 am

airuma wrote:Frankie Boodram did a phone session with the morning brew today. IMHO, he sounded very unprepared and did not do justice to the racing fraternity. Hopefully someone else would make themselves available and defend the sport.... we are a very egotistical society and we need avenues like these to satisfy these egos!

This. I dunno nah...

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » May 28th, 2018, 9:19 am

Cool tuner!Hmn and he was goin and get married soon.RIP

amd-dude
Sweet on this forum

Postby amd-dude » May 28th, 2018, 9:37 am

I know I will come across as arrogant and nooblike, but my question/statement is this. I've been to many events at wallerfield and on numerous occasions I've seen cars skidding off around the same areas of the track, how come nothing was done (or correct me if I'm wrong and something was done) to improve the track especially around these bad spots. The kind of money they charge at the events too, you think they could fix it? Or come together as promoters and fix it?

Sad day either way, RIP, heard he was going to get married as well, God alone knows what that family is going through.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » May 28th, 2018, 9:52 am

R.I.P- never knew him, however he had a common love for the automobile like We ALL do on Trinituner……….. after everything is said and done- its another auto enthusiast gone...…………….. Sad!

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » May 28th, 2018, 9:55 am

Bleak weekend at Wallerfield with these 2 incidents. RIP racer.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 28th, 2018, 11:17 am

http://www.looptt.com/content/drag-race ... d-accident

A drag racer has died following an accident at the Wallerfield Race Track in Arima on Sunday.

Dead is 27-year-old Darren Sirjoo of Sangre Grande.

Sirjoo was competing in a race when he lost control of his vehicle.

He was taken to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

Sirjoo’s Facebook page has been flooded with condolence messages.

Many have expressed shock over his untimely passing.

One Facebook user, Joel Pollonais said he was left in disbelief after receiving the news.

“The last thing I was expecting to hear was this news ...after you told me to come up in the drags and I couldn’t make it .... I couldn’t even function after hearing this one .... R.I.P. my brother.... a good one gone too soon,” Pollonais said.

Another identified as Rennie Narine said Sirju was making wedding plans.

“Bro just Friday u ask me to have ah music car for your wedding bro,” he said.

Nevashton Baron shared a similar post.

“Just this morning you spoke to me! Confirmed Neves promotions for your wedding! You tell me make sure I dj’ing! My soldier boy will forever be missed!”

The automotive fraternity has also been plunged into mourning.

Garage Fresh Trinidad has cancelled an upcoming event due to the incident.

“Due to a fatal accident today at Wallerfield Race Track we have decided to cancel this Saturday's event. Our condolences to the Driver's friends and family.”

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » May 28th, 2018, 11:36 am

if you never knew the heights of the firetruckery. Turns on a drag strip.

http://ttwhistleblower.com/driver-error-could-be-the-cause-racer-killed-at-waller-field/
Driver error could be the cause of Sunday’s accident at the Frankie Boodram Racing Track at Waller Field.
That was the comment of former top racer, Frankie Boodram, following the death of Darren Sirjoo, 28,of San Louis Road, Sangre Grande. Sirjoo had just crossed the finish line when his car crashed into a metal pole.
The vehicle flipped several times upon impact.
Sirjoo was taken to the Arima District Hospital where he later died.
The engine of the Lexus Altezza was ripped out in the crash.
President of the Trinidad and Tobago Automobile Sports Association Fyzool Madan said Sirjoo had been racing for the past five years.
He said the vehicle Sirjoo was driving had passed all the safety checks prior to the race.
Madan said Sirjoo lost control at the finish line.
Boodram said the track was safe. He said incidents like this are caused by drivers who make errors. He said it all depends how one negotiate his turns.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 28th, 2018, 12:01 pm

if you read comments from other races pertaining to that track....you would know that BOODRAM talking ah pack ah fackery..

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » May 28th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Motor sports re inherently dangerous and all participants are fully aware.
The lost of this young life is regrettable and extremely sad and we would like to extend our sincerest condolences to all concerned.
Review the circumstances and if improvements can come out of this it will be all for the better.

cheese pie
punchin NOS

Postby cheese pie » May 28th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Always sad to hear when the motor sports community has an incident like this. My deepest condolences to the family of Darren, his friends and others in the community.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » May 28th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Damn, that hard.

RIP and condolences to the family.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » May 29th, 2018, 2:35 am

That interview with FBoodram was hard to watch. The man basically blamed the driver and avoided the track conditions. He also has no clue about the sport of drag racing, his description of it was terrible.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 29th, 2018, 5:03 am

homeboy say "yuh cyah just put ah big engine in ah car and drive it fast''

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » May 29th, 2018, 7:58 am

Rishi Kanick gave a scathing interview. Much better representation of what has led to this happening.

How much money do the promoters make vs invest into making the track safer?

Now that serious investment is required I hope the few that have been milking it will step up to provide funding.

https://www.facebook.com/lwfcdrs/videos ... 673737838/

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » May 29th, 2018, 11:13 pm

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 30th, 2018, 12:00 am

There aren't rules and regulations for the minimum safety specs on the cars in order to race?

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby wagonrunner » May 30th, 2018, 12:17 am

i'd believe so. i'd also believe he couldn't have gone down the track in short pants, slippers and no helmet.

which means then that would have been considered "qualified" (met those rules and regulations). not so?
It was allowed to race down the track, and there is a letter saying exactly that.

Jon_One
Sweet on this forum

Postby Jon_One » May 30th, 2018, 10:51 am

I have been watching this incident . watching comments and i have noticed that everyone missed a big part of this puzzle .. you can't expect a <2" (40mm) roll cage to win in a fight vs what looks to be several well planted 4-6" sch 40 structural steel pipe which make up the finish line walk over thing .. why is there such a strong steel structure at the finish line of a race track where racers would be close to vmax for the track conditions .. this should've been a light structure that will bend or break away in the event of an accident .. if it was not there he may have survived . i see people comparing the skf lancers crash to this crash with respect to the roll cage . you cant compare the two because they are totally different scenarios . if he had not hit this structure there is a high probability he would have survived this crash and the roll cage would have performed better because it was not designed to withstand that type of force ... also if they had proper concrete barriers on the track this could have been prevented .. in the skf crash video you can also clearly hear where the bump or dips in the track initiated the loss of control ..

RIP D.Sirjoo . its sad that these things need to happen for change to come ..
Last edited by Jon_One on May 30th, 2018, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jon_One
Sweet on this forum

Postby Jon_One » May 30th, 2018, 10:57 am

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-30 at 10.52.41 AM(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-30 at 10.52.41 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-05-30 at 10.52.41 AM(2).jpeg

imagine the only recovery equipment was that wrecker . they had to use the hiab to bend the roof to help remove his body . sigh

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”