TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Massy Stores to charge 50 cents for plastic bags from July 4...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Massy Stores to charge 50 cents for plastic bags from July 4...

Postby hydroep » May 14th, 2018, 9:07 am

ADONI wrote:Self checkout coming soon...

Yup, save the environment by getting rid of cashiers and packers...:|

...saw JTA offering reusable bags as well...think they were $ 17 - $ 18 each.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » May 14th, 2018, 10:44 am

If you don't like the company's Policy then shop elsewhere and hust allyuh doteesh a55es!

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 1st, 2018, 5:50 pm

Australian supermarkets work to prevent "bag rage" as plastics ban takes effect
Reuters
By Alison Bevege
Reuters - July 1, 2018

By Alison Bevege

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia's biggest supermarket chains are scrambling to combat "bag rage" as frustrated shoppers vent their anger over the removal of single-use plastic bags.

One man put his hands around a supermarket worker's throat, the West Australian newspaper reported, while grocery stores are putting on more staff to help customers get used to the change.

The removal of single-use plastics is part of a national push to reduce waste. As of July 1, major retailers in all but two Australian states will be fined if they supply single-use plastic bags. National supermarket chain Coles, owned by Wesfarmers, on Sunday removed single-use plastic bags from its stores, shortly after rival Woolworths banned the bags on June 20.

Consumer complaints forced Woolworths to backflip on charging customers 15 Australian cents (11 U.S. cents) for a reusable plastic bag, with the retailer now offering them free until July 8.

"They just want a little extra help from us to get through the transition," said Claire Peters, Woolworths managing director, in an emailed statement.

After seeing the backlash at its rival, Coles said it would open every checkout lane on Sunday to reduce queue lengths as staff explain the changes to customers.

"We are taking a proactive step," a Coles spokesperson said in an emailed statement.

The union that represents Australian shop assistants has launched a public awareness campaign on the issue.

"While we understand that some customers may be frustrated by this change, there is absolutely no excuse for abusive or violent behaviour towards retail staff," said Gerard Dwyer, national secretary of the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees' Association, in a statement on the union website.

The union conducted a survey earlier this week and of 132 members who responded, 57 said they suffered abuse due to the plastic bag ban.

More than 8 million tonnes of plastic ends up in the world's oceans each year, according to United Nations Environment Programme figures.

The U.N. wants to eliminate single-use plastic by 2022 and says more than 60 countries have so far taken steps to ban or reduce plastic consumption.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 1st, 2018, 6:09 pm

Lot of ppl looking to give Hilo pressure this week
Will see if it was only talk

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 1st, 2018, 6:35 pm

So the customer will do their part. Good. What about Massy's part in reducing plastic and styrofoam in their packaging? It's not like the consumers have a choice in that part of shopping. We are forced to buy and dispose all the extra plastic wrapping unnecessary packaging they use.

It seems quite unfair how we alone have to make such a change, while Massy just does so little on their part. Their part actually makes them a profit by not giving away plastic bags and takes even less effort. They should be investing in cellulose alternates and a recycling programme. We really not seeing that here.

Also they should not offer a bag for any fee, like 25 cents a bag. Then people will just spend a dollar and get 4 bags. Seems like a no-brainer for anyone spending over $20 in Massy. That plan has been tried and has failed all over the world. They should offer NO plastic, and only offer paper as the paying alternative.
Last edited by maj. tom on July 1st, 2018, 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 1st, 2018, 6:40 pm

Was in Montreal recently
Bags are 10cents over there

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 1st, 2018, 8:17 pm

time run up fast & july 4th will be here soon , so wondering if they really gonna do it

will walk with meh bag fold up small in meh pocket in case yes ..... :oops: ......... : 8-)

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » July 1st, 2018, 8:56 pm

Sorry for the workers in La Romaine massy yes, get tie up and rob, next is to get loud up from the public for something they didnt decide on

fatboy slim
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby fatboy slim » July 1st, 2018, 9:17 pm

i will walk with some crocus bags

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 1st, 2018, 10:23 pm

pugboy wrote:Was in Montreal recently
Was in Las Vegas and Miami last month and plastic bags were available and free everywhere!! Clearly not a US thing.

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » July 2nd, 2018, 4:43 am

If Massy really cares about Trinidad, its people and by extension the environment they will close down the 5 'car dealerships' they recently opened in Colombia.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » July 2nd, 2018, 8:03 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
Was in Las Vegas and Miami last month and plastic bags were available and free everywhere!! Clearly not a US thing.

Different states charge. Some it depends on the stores.

In Canada in the 90’s I know we went with our own bags to the grocery or had to pay for a bag. Had to also pay to use the grocery cart and when you finish you would pop out back your 25c from the cart.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » July 2nd, 2018, 8:40 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
Varies from state to state. It's 7c per bag in Illinois.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 2nd, 2018, 10:13 am

Gem_in_i wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:

Different states charge. Some it depends on the stores.

In Canada in the 90’s I know we went with our own bags to the grocery or had to pay for a bag. Had to also pay to use the grocery cart and when you finish you would pop out back your 25c from the cart.

I last visited Canada in 2014 and went to a Target in Square One Mall in Mississauga.

Used the self checkout cashier option and not only were bags available for you to use they were free and you could take as much or as little as you want and there was no cost attached. Clearly its also not a Canada wide initiative ( if this still exists)

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » July 3rd, 2018, 2:04 pm

I went Massy La Romaine yesterday and they are giving bags as usual :lol: I ask if i have to pay and she said no....

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » July 3rd, 2018, 2:30 pm

The last month and a half we've used 2 large Massy bags and usually 3 Pricemart bags. You get Massy points for each of their bags you use and it's less trips to empty the car when you get home. No complaints at all. Just need to get a small Massy bag for when i making restocking runs for my office desk.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 3rd, 2018, 4:29 pm

TurboSingh12 wrote:I went Massy La Romaine yesterday and they are giving bags as usual :lol: I ask if i have to pay and she said no....

Yesterday was not the 4th of July.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » July 3rd, 2018, 4:53 pm

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 3rd, 2018, 5:50 pm

hydroep wrote:
ADONI wrote:Self checkout coming soon...

Yup, save the environment by getting rid of cashiers and packers...:|

...saw JTA offering reusable bags as well...think they were $ 17 - $ 18 each.

Cashed a little while ago and didn't take any plastic or reusable bags... poor bag boy stood there and did nothing since I packed my stuff back into the cart... the look on his face was like..... """leh mih pay the 50 cents for a bag for yuh nah so I go have a wuk""""

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » July 3rd, 2018, 6:32 pm

Les Bain wrote:The last month and a half we've used 2 large Massy bags and usually 3 Pricemart bags. You get Massy points for each of their bags you use and it's less trips to empty the car when you get home. No complaints at all. Just need to get a small Massy bag for when i making restocking runs for my office desk.

do they still use the plastic bags for cold/frozen stuff?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 3rd, 2018, 6:55 pm

^^^^ yes they do , recently a cashier told me its to prevent other ppl goods from getting contaminated on d counter

this evening just after 5pm i went to buy bread & i didnt see any of d regular plastic bags at d cashier but they were selling d reusable printed bags

look like ppl must be feeling shame so they buying d reusable bags

me i take my 2 bags of bread jesso [$22 worth] & walk to my car with it , nothing to feel shame about

[i always have my empty grocery bags doing nothing so next time i will fold up 1 or 2 & walk with it in my pocket]

btw - soon after i left massy i went price club & u can still take whatever bags u need to pack ur goods in d under 10 items self service line

so be aware allyuh it has begun & tomorrow d 4th july it will be official .......

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » July 3rd, 2018, 7:28 pm

Rovin's Audio wrote:^^^^ yes they do , recently a cashier told me its to prevent other ppl goods from getting contaminated on d counter

this evening just after 5pm i went to buy bread & i didnt see any of d regular plastic bags at d cashier but they were selling d reusable printed bags

look like ppl must be feeling shame so they buying d reusable bags

me i take my 2 bags of bread jesso [$22 worth] & walk to my car with it , nothing to feel shame about

[i always have my empty grocery bags doing nothing so next time i will fold up 1 or 2 & walk with it in my pocket]

btw - soon after i left massy i went price club & u can still take whatever bags u need to pack ur goods in d under 10 items self service line

so be aware allyuh it has begun & tomorrow d 4th july it will be official .......

dawg, walk with bags from tru value, food basket and other groceries. look at all the rubbish in the rivers you seeing any plastic bags? plastic bags are no bio degradable, why massy doh stop selling drinks in plastic bottles, all dem Styrofoam boxes and stop trying to pull wool over the public eyes and feel we dotish.

wickedtuna
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby wickedtuna » July 3rd, 2018, 7:43 pm

Munnney munnnie Monnnnnie is the bottom line .....profit above all capitalism at its best make u feel guilty for the environment whilst they make a profit .....brain games ....marketing dare I say even sinister politics tactics it's good not to give u a bag .....because "we all go to the rivers and drains to deposit them after "

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » July 3rd, 2018, 9:59 pm

redmanjp wrote:
Les Bain wrote:The last month and a half we've used 2 large Massy bags and usually 3 Pricemart bags. You get Massy points for each of their bags you use and it's less trips to empty the car when you get home. No complaints at all. Just need to get a small Massy bag for when i making restocking runs for my office desk.

do they still use the plastic bags for cold/frozen stuff?

I asked the cashier that shortly after the bag plan was first issued and she said yes.

eurotuner
12 pounds of Boost

Postby eurotuner » July 4th, 2018, 8:03 am

Was in woodbrook massy and dumbarse cashier says it starts from today(teusday) which was 3rd , luckily I only had two items so just walked to car with it. Will walk with meh granny bag next time.

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » July 5th, 2018, 1:32 am

so pretty 24 hours since the charge has been implemented- how many people file for bankruptcy so far?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 5th, 2018, 7:47 am

wickedtuna wrote:profit above all capitalism at its best make u feel guilty for the environment whilst they make a profit

The elimination of plastic bags was done by some US and Canadian grocery chains years ago. You were given a credit on your bill for using your own bags.

kstt
Riding on 16's

Postby kstt » July 5th, 2018, 8:59 am

Bag and Bandit!

I will shop elsewhere

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » July 5th, 2018, 9:04 am

eurotuner wrote:Was in woodbrook massy and dumbarse cashier says it starts from today(teusday) which was 3rd , luckily I only had two items so just walked to car with it. Will walk with meh granny bag next time.

There are shopping bags that you can get free :D

Pricesmart has the same policy .

Just walk with your plastic bags or plastic box container .

Easy to fit in car or your 3 wheel bicycle. :D

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » July 5th, 2018, 2:48 pm

Buy cold supligen, chicken pie and eat in store while shopping, 1 less bag needed :evilbat:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”