TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Re: Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

Postby aaron17 » August 31st, 2018, 7:26 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
juggernaught wrote:No accidents, car is driven carefully on bad roads

Sometimes jarring can cause some mechs to leak. That’s why I asked. Hopefully BA sorts you out with minimal fuss.
Bunny....Any thoughts about using neutral at a stop to save clutch wear? I was thinking of this scenario....if you use manual mode and come to a stop...you would have to come out of manual mode and go into neutral...which seems redundant? I am thinking all modes goes to neutral at a stop automatically or something ...even in sport mode.

keoki1x
Riding on 13's

Postby keoki1x » August 31st, 2018, 9:28 am

juggernaught wrote:Nope it’s not the newest model the one just before.

What year car? How many miles?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 31st, 2018, 9:39 am

aaron17 wrote:

Sometimes jarring can cause some mechs to leak. That’s why I asked. Hopefully BA sorts you out with minimal fuss.
Bunny....Any thoughts about using neutral at a stop to save clutch wear? I was thinking of this scenario....if you use manual mode and come to a stop...you would have to come out of manual mode and go into neutral...which seems redundant? I am thinking all modes goes to neutral at a stop automatically or something ...even in sport mode.

No need for all that. Come to a complete stop and the car will manage the clutches. It doesn’t keep them clamped wearing away at a stop. Else they would overheat and they don’t. That’s why when you let your foot off the brakes there is a brief moment where the car engages the clutch before you actually start to move. You can feel it if you pay attention.

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » August 31st, 2018, 11:13 am

keoki1x wrote:
juggernaught wrote:Nope it’s not the newest model the one just before.

What year car? How many miles?

2013 year just crossed 100k this week

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » August 31st, 2018, 11:17 am

aaron17 wrote:Were there any premature signs of the problem..from a stop...hard shifting..etc?

Negative, but as usual these things seem to just fail without any major warning, all that happened is I came to a stop in a carpark to reverse into a spot and the car refused to back up, I checked the dash and saw what every owner of these cars hates or hopes never to see; “the spanner of death” loll

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » August 31st, 2018, 11:20 am

100k miles?

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » August 31st, 2018, 11:21 am

aaron17 wrote:

No need for all that. Come to a complete stop and the car will manage the clutches. It doesn’t keep them clamped wearing away at a stop. Else they would overheat and they don’t. That’s why when you let your foot off the brakes there is a brief moment where the car engages the clutch before you actually start to move. You can feel it if you pay attention.

This is true in essence this system is just a glorified and very complicated manual dt, it engages and disengages once the car comes to a stop, so it really wouldnt make a difference if you neutralize during stops/ traffic etc

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » August 31st, 2018, 11:24 am

aaron17 wrote:100k miles?

Kilometers

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » August 31st, 2018, 11:35 am

So you serviced the car 2 years in BA?

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » August 31st, 2018, 11:45 am

Off and on, you could say it was in there anytime I had an issue and I have been telling them about funny noises (not the usual gb rattle) in the gb but they weren’t taking me on

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » August 31st, 2018, 11:49 am

Hmmm

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » August 31st, 2018, 11:59 am

Hmmm indeed, I’m waiting on a call from them Monday about the status on the car hoping it’s just a mech update or reprogram and it’s fine....if not well goodwill should be the order of the day I guess, this is a known FAULT of these dsg units worldwide so let’s see what would transpire in my case.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » August 31st, 2018, 12:01 pm

Yea true..

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » September 14th, 2018, 4:41 am

What percentage tint that the car comes with again from BA?

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » September 15th, 2018, 9:03 am

juggernaught wrote:Hmmm indeed, I’m waiting on a call from them Monday about the status on the car hoping it’s just a mech update or reprogram and it’s fine....if not well goodwill should be the order of the day I guess, this is a known FAULT of these dsg units worldwide so let’s see what would transpire in my case.

Just refuse to pay for the unit and stick to your guns.

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » September 16th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Well the warranty is over a while now so if I decide to stick to my guns I think the most would happen is the car will park up there for months or who knows even years.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » September 21st, 2018, 4:50 pm

nes123 wrote:I think we both can agree here that yes,Euros had little issues in the electrical department,but, pre 2006.....from that year forward most if not all these have been rectified,more specifically in the initial affected brands Peugeot,VW,Renault,BMW etc..

Now granted these were mainly electrical, and in some cases, quality issues in the interior department,is this really a true test or factor of overall reliability?becuase I think we both can agree our climate had a huge part to play in this.

I'm assuming when you speak if reliability, you refer to mechanical or engine electricals right?If that is the case I'm calling on you to name at least 2 Euro's which has these issues in the reliability department.

About American reviews on Euro cars, I believe this argument is null and void as we both know Americans are biased to their cars over the European counterparts, and the euros are biased to there cars and consider american cars to be rubbish...basically americans don't like euros,so their reviews are always reflected as such.

Now about Top Gear, not once have I heard them say anything bad about European cars post 2000 era,save for 1 or 2 electrical nibbles in either french or italian cars...the VAG group had maybe 1 or 2 as well,but reliability was never an issue among all.

I think though that the REAL and main reason why we in Trinidad may or may not experience issues with our euros is because the stealerships here do not have the necessary trained and capable staff to properly maintain these euros.When you have 90% staff with 3-5cxc passes and just 3-4 head mechanics with a little more training,there is no way they can monitor all their junior technicians...aside from that there is no real way to ascertain how trained these senior mechanics are. In most cases a foreign technician is almost always brought in to teach the locals how to diagnose basic faults and maintenance...these cars are more technologically and electrically advanced than our JDMs,so when the necessary maintenance adhered to is not done,a couple years down the road, something fails...

On the JDM side, though they are only now starting to get advanced,they ars still babies compared to the euros,so the overall maintenance maybe slightly lower than some JDMs in some cases...something simple like lubricating the bonnet lock in a euro to replacing the brake fluid every 2 yrs...these things are not adhered to in local firms..when either of these fails,all it takes is one trini to say "boy dem cars not good" etc etc....in JDMs these things are left out during routine maintenance and in some cases not necessary,but the extra little maintenance in euros is worth it as the braking for instance is superior,and the locking mechanisms are anti theft.

And to confirm your statements about Ford and Volvo being of poor reliability,yes....but in that pre 2006 era and also due to lack of properly trained staff adhering to the simple but necessary maintenance on those both brands...thats what happen when you hire technicians with 3 cxc passes etc...not that I against these min requirements,but because again training,and most are not used to or accustomed to the seemingly unusual maintenance.....my initial point about euros crossing 400kkm with no issues are testament to both superiority and reliability of Euros over JDM...it'd unreasonable to think that cuz ppl don't bash their cars,that all 5000+ ppl on said forums would lie about their cars...which is why I don't take word from one site,but visit others to formulate an opinion...

see below for current EURO consumer reliability ratings for 2011 done by JD power,and the 2nd placed Honda is EURO HONDA,not de arse we does get here..I chose the Euro consumer ratings as they get most of the cars our market gets..1.6 engine and all..

so very very true

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » September 21st, 2018, 4:53 pm

Wait u now reading this?

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » November 4th, 2018, 10:43 am

Replaced OEM RCD 510 head unit with RCD 330 plus. Lost some MFD integration and ability to play CDs but now have Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Straight swap plug and play with an adapter for the FM Antenna. Will post pics in a bit

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » November 4th, 2018, 10:59 am

Cool I never play cds.

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » November 4th, 2018, 4:43 pm

A few pics
The attachment IMG_0354.JPG is no longer available

The attachment IMG_0355.JPG is no longer available

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0355.JPG

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » November 4th, 2018, 6:03 pm

When pressing recirculation mode button etc..does it still come on screen?

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » November 4th, 2018, 6:56 pm

aaron17 wrote:When pressing recirculation mode button etc..does it still come on screen?

Lost that as well but considered minor IMO

The voice command on the steering activates SIRI instead of the stock function voice command

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » November 4th, 2018, 7:13 pm

That’s cool. Nice fitment. How much did that cost if you don’t mind me asking?

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » November 4th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Available on eBay ranges between USD 170 and 250 depending on the seller but the best version is product number 6RD 035 187B which works seamlessly with our euro spec models. Apparently this OEM model was built for the Chinese market, would have been a hit everywhere if you asked me.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » November 4th, 2018, 8:24 pm

Does it have the clock on a black screen? Love that feature when idle rather than that constant bright screen.

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » November 4th, 2018, 8:30 pm

aaron17 wrote:Does it have the clock on a black screen? Love that feature when idle rather than that constant bright screen.

Yup, well just to clarify when you press the power down it defaults to the clock. Looks great

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » November 4th, 2018, 8:33 pm

Cool

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » November 14th, 2018, 6:23 am

I have been experiencing a noise ..not all the time but a louder than usual humming noise at low speeds at first when I start driving the car. At high speeds I don't hear it. Could it be the air condition and cold weather?

I think I figured a clue ..something to do with the ac. When I turn it off.... no sound.

I also found a video on youtube that sounds similar. Any thoughts?

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » November 14th, 2018, 9:36 pm

Check the AC compressor

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”