Forums

Would you eat slaughter-free meat?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 16th, 2018, 5:07 pm

There's a looming crisis over the world's growing appetite for meat. Could a chicken running around a farmyard in San Francisco hold the key to a solution?

In 1931, Winston Churchill predicted that the human race would one day "escape the absurdity of growing a whole chicken in order to eat the breast or wing, by growing these parts separately under a suitable medium".

Eighty-seven years later, that day has come as we discovered at Just, a food company in San Francisco where we tasted chicken nuggets grown from the cells of a chicken feather.

The chicken - which tasted like chicken - was still alive, reportedly roaming on a farm not far from the laboratory.

This meat is not to be confused with the vegetarian plant-based burgers and other meat-substitute products which are gaining popularity in supermarkets.

No, this is actual meat grown from animal cells and variously described as cultured, synthetic, in-vitro, lab-grown or even "clean" meat.

It takes about two days to produce a chicken nugget in a small bioreactor, using a protein to encourage the cells to multiply, some type of scaffold to give structure to the product and a culture, or growth, medium to feed the meat as it develops.

The United Nations says raising animals for food is one of the major causes of global warming and air and water pollution. Even as the conventional livestock industry strives to become more efficient and environmentally friendly, many doubt it will be able to keep up with the rising global appetite for protein.

We slaughter 70 billion animals each year to feed seven billion people, says Dr Uma Valeti, a cardiologist who founded California-based Memphis Meats, a leading cell-based meat company.

He says the global demand for meat is doubling as more people rise out of poverty and that humanity won't be able to raise enough cattle and chicken to sate the appetite of nine billion people by 2050.

"So we could just literally grow any meat, poultry or seafood directly from those animal cells," Dr Valeti says. "I think that is probably much bigger than sliced bread."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45865403

Kalisnakov
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Kalisnakov » October 16th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Now watching a clip on bbc,chicken nuggets(not the chicken eh)grown in the labs..........
Last edited by Kalisnakov on October 16th, 2018, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Re: Would you eat slaughter-free meat?

Postby ProtonPowder » October 16th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Not in the beginning, but maybe in a decade or so i might warm up to it.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 16th, 2018, 6:08 pm

This is how they gonna get you to eat Soylent Green

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 16th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Exciting research when considering the future missions to Mars and colonization of the Moon.

How much energy does it require, and waste produced compared to conventional means? How do they define muscle texture that can only be developed with exercise, and hence mouthfeel taste of the final product? At the end of this line of research and production, would it end up being as equal to the current means of meat production?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 16th, 2018, 6:14 pm

What are the long term effects of repeated & regular ingestion of this "protein" that's used to make this so called "meat" grow? & what is this protein?
I'm quite content with eating my dead animal carcasses, allyuh could eat all the mystery meat allyuh want.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » October 16th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:This is how they gonna get you to eat Soylent Green

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » October 16th, 2018, 6:21 pm

What!
At this stage in my life, I may have to deal with this.
Really, ignorance is bliss.
I still want my leg and thigh.
Imagine currying this which you refer to.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 16th, 2018, 6:31 pm

i rather eat natural ...
Last edited by Rovin on October 16th, 2018, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » October 16th, 2018, 6:40 pm

This will be better since we cannot trust humans with treatment of animals on farms and slaughter. I prefer not to eat pork where the pig was throw alive in boiling water which BTW is a very common thing in slaughter houses. Or the Asians that beat dogs to death with sticks etc

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 16th, 2018, 7:18 pm

not_a_monkey
Street 2NR

Postby not_a_monkey » October 16th, 2018, 7:28 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:This will be better since we cannot trust humans with treatment of animals on farms and slaughter. I prefer not to eat pork where the pig was throw alive in boiling water which BTW is a very common thing in slaughter houses. Or the Asians that beat dogs to death with sticks etc
agreed

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » October 16th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Are chicken nuggets real chicken meat ?

You all know that the cheap " crab & lobster " meat is fake .

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » October 16th, 2018, 11:33 pm

It usually says imitation crab meat on the packaging anyways. Nuggets are pieces of chicken bound together with transglutaminase to give the illusion that it is a single piece of meat. An even better example is subway's parmesan chicken/chicken teriyaki.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 17th, 2018, 3:08 am

So instead of developing better feeds so he animals grow faster & at the same time eat less & therefore crap less, or develop much better breeding stock of animals that can grow larger, faster, with a lower feed:weight ratio so we need fewer of them for the same or greater yield, their answer is turn the world into lab rats.

gtk, time to start back minding meh yardies & muscovy

Halfbreed07
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Halfbreed07 » October 17th, 2018, 5:54 am

Want to get cancer? Pretty sure this is how you gonna get cancer.

hassanvoyeau
Street 2NR

Postby hassanvoyeau » October 17th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Been vegetarian for 2+ years now. Looking back, I would say it was an easy thing to do. I don't miss meat and I have no cravings for meat and I don't need to eat meat. I remember listening to someone on local tv talk about being vegetarian (after I decided) and it matching your value system and this resonated with me. It just feels right and good to me.

cracker
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cracker » October 17th, 2018, 8:13 pm

hassanvoyeau wrote:Been vegetarian for 2+ years now. Looking back, I would say it was an easy thing to do. I don't miss meat and I have no cravings for meat and I don't need to eat meat. I remember listening to someone on local tv talk about being vegetarian (after I decided) and it matching your value system and this resonated with me. It just feels right and good to me.
Does not matter really no hate intended but you are still contributing to the destruction of the enviroment by supporting the dairy industry.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 17th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Many animals are deemed as pests and killed in the farming industry every year.
These animals and insects died so we can get fruits, vegetables, nuts etc.

https://www.westernfarmpress.com/manage ... kill-ratio

that's one heck of a value system

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » October 17th, 2018, 8:51 pm

I don't have an issue with killing animals it is all part of nature. The issue I have is the boiling of animals alive or beating them to death instead of using a stun gun to do it humane which is another reason I try to avoid Halal meat, another barbaric torture process which is promoted in civilized western world using saudi oil money.

Also I find the beating of dogs to be very disturbing along with this one killing a pig with a sledgehammer and destroying its mouth and eyes while still unable to kill it.

You prefer to eat this pig after this kind of killing or the lab grown meat instead? I think I will take the lab grown one where the pig didn't have to suffer like this

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 17th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Many animals are deemed as pests and killed in the farming industry every year.
These animals and insects died so we can get fruits, vegetables, nuts etc.

https://www.westernfarmpress.com/manage ... kill-ratio

that's one heck of a value system

yup but its a necessary evil may never think of. Most vegetarians are blissfully oblivious to the fact that if farmers don't keep pests in check, be that pest an insect or mammal or bird, the fruits and vegetables that they eat would be a whole lot more expensive at the supermarket than they are and in much lower quantities and quality.
on the upside though, many animals that are killed because they are considered pests by farmers can and do get eaten by humans. Opossum, squirrel, wild hogs, etc. are regularly eaten by humans, and those animals that aren't consumed by humans will be consumed by other animals that the farmers don't consider a problem to their livelihood.

The trick is to seek efficiency and minimal wastage.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 17th, 2018, 11:35 pm

^ yup

hassanvoyeau
Street 2NR

Postby hassanvoyeau » October 18th, 2018, 7:02 am

cracker wrote:
hassanvoyeau wrote:Been vegetarian for 2+ years now. Looking back, I would say it was an easy thing to do. I don't miss meat and I have no cravings for meat and I don't need to eat meat. I remember listening to someone on local tv talk about being vegetarian (after I decided) and it matching your value system and this resonated with me. It just feels right and good to me.
Does not matter really no hate intended but you are still contributing to the destruction of the enviroment by supporting the dairy industry.
There is almond milk and many vegan options.

cracker
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cracker » October 18th, 2018, 7:03 am

You said you were vegetarian not vegan

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » October 18th, 2018, 8:03 am

Hope you're not one to still buy veggie drumstick, veggie shrimp and all da sheit..

some people loove to brag bout being vegetables and vegan but yet running down meat looking and tasting foods. Not to mention the fools that take to social media to blast food places restaurant week for not giving them vege options.. Big steups

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » October 18th, 2018, 8:30 am

nick639v2 wrote:

Hope you're not one to still buy veggie drumstick, veggie shrimp and all da sheit..

some people loove to brag bout being vegetables and vegan but yet running down meat looking and tasting foods. Not to mention the fools that take to social media to blast food places restaurant week for not giving them vege options.. Big steups

Veggie drumstick, shrimp etc is an option for ppl that transitioning away from meat. Some ppl who eat plant based diets do not eat "vegan meat" products like veggie drumsticks etc.
Also vegetarian, vegan, whole food plant based diets are not the same thing...the media/layman tend to use vegetarian as a blanket statement.

Lastly if society considered that smoking dangerous and demanded places like restaurants have no smoking option, smokers would be upset about it for their own reason. Similarly if ppl want more vegetarian options, the restaurants etc that do not cater to this new movement, they will be upset too....or you can adjust to the changing times and just provide more vegetarian options.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 18th, 2018, 9:20 am

Hardcore meateaters does become real white knights to defend meat eating!!!

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » October 18th, 2018, 9:28 am

As well as vegan hype train users... Know what it was too sit down for a nice dinner and hear somebody getting on like a royal fool because they couldn't substitute for the rw menu. If somewhere doesn't cater to your diet why must it have to involve a tantrum and defaming rant

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » October 18th, 2018, 10:22 am

This sounds like a new trope to add to sci-fi dystopia scenarios, or an idea for a future Cattle Decapitation album.
Say we accept eating this cell derived meat and bring an end to the live animal meat industry, should we expect propoganda many years down the line when the former mat industry reared animal population gets out of hand? Should we expect morality based campaigns to resume live animal meat rearing periods for population control?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 18th, 2018, 10:37 am

Food replicators in our future?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”