equipment
alpine cda 117 headunit
jbl ms 8 processor
Alpine pdx 5 5 channel amp
alpine spr 17s type r 6.5 inch woofers
alpine spr 10tw type r tweeters
jl audio w1v3 12
Alpine Type x Passive crossovers with Bi- amping capability

would it make sense using the passives in a bi amp configuration ?
or should it just run everything active?

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Help needed with sq build.

Postby evolution7tt » February 24th, 2019, 9:21 pm

If I had to do that build, I would not use the passives. The MS8 is more than capable of processing that setup.

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » March 13th, 2019, 12:11 pm

I would first try the passives in the bi-amp config. Sometimes the tuning and retuning of an active system takes the fun out of listening for enjoyment. Ask me how I know. Now, I leave crossovers and processing to the experts in whose R&D I trust. If however, you're looking to compete in a serious manner...by all means join the cast of people who constantly tune and re-tune their systems.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » March 13th, 2019, 12:46 pm

gt4tified wrote:I would first try the passives in the bi-amp config. Sometimes the tuning and retuning of an active system takes the fun out of listening for enjoyment. Ask me how I know. Now, I leave crossovers and processing to the experts in whose R&D I trust. If however, you're looking to compete in a serious manner...by all means join the cast of people who constantly tune and re-tune their systems.

Usually designers would generally tweak their passive crossovers by having their woofers/ tweeters in fixed location in a given room/space. In a car environment, consumers will place drivers where necessary and would hence need most flexibility via dsp to attain best sound. Passives are good if you have not been exposed to better.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » March 13th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Run everything to start off with. Will be safer until you have some experience with the ms8 capabilities.

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » March 13th, 2019, 5:12 pm

kavaninho wrote:
gt4tified wrote:I would first try the passives in the bi-amp config. Sometimes the tuning and retuning of an active system takes the fun out of listening for enjoyment. Ask me how I know. Now, I leave crossovers and processing to the experts in whose R&D I trust. If however, you're looking to compete in a serious manner...by all means join the cast of people who constantly tune and re-tune their systems.

Usually designers would generally tweak their passive crossovers by having their woofers/ tweeters in fixed location in a given room/space. In a car environment, consumers will place drivers where necessary and would hence need most flexibility via dsp to attain best sound. Passives are good if you have not been exposed to better.

I not sure if you trying to sheit me up in smart, but this is not the ole talk forum. I have been exposed to better, but I just too damn busy (read: lazy) to go down that route. You seem to use the word "consumers" in a selective manner...maybe the more appropriate word to use might be "aficionados" or "enthusiasts"?? :lol:

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » March 13th, 2019, 7:03 pm

gt4tified wrote:
kavaninho wrote:

I not sure if you trying to sheit me up in smart, but this is not the ole talk forum. I have been exposed to better, but I just too damn busy (read: lazy) to go down that route. You seem to use the word "consumers" in a selective manner...maybe the more appropriate word to use might be "aficionados" or "enthusiasts"?? :lol:

No bro no sheit up intended :(

altec
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby altec » April 11th, 2019, 9:06 pm

use ms8 with no passives....you do not have to do much tuning because it auto tunes. You may have phase problems and or reduced bass which is caused by level of the bass channel. DIYMA has a crapload of info on how to get the best auto tune. In my ck lancer the ms8 gave a better tune than the top of the line sq pioneer deck.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”