Forums

Digicel Internet Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Digicel Internet Thread

Postby supernedd » March 8th, 2019, 4:35 pm

R-H-D wrote:Carnival Truck buss fibre wire checking in (3rd year in a row)
U would think they would relocate it by now..lol.. d truck owners probably paying d repair bill every yr

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » March 8th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Kenjo wrote:Wow at least flow not giving as much wood with their price increases
I like their $525 package.. phone.. hd cable.. and 100mbs of net

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » March 8th, 2019, 9:18 pm

flow lurking in this thread. $5 increase per cable box each month from april 1st. doubt is a prank.
:|

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 17th, 2019, 10:04 am

I need a favor done from anybody who has Digicel Fiber here

Please do a speedtest to Baltimore Comcast and share the result here. I wanna see how much a pure Fiber line like Digicel would get to know if to switch from Flow.

Ooh and if possible and u have time maybe a speedtest to somewhere in Florida

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Parvin » March 17th, 2019, 10:39 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:I need a favor done from anybody who has Digicel Fiber here

Please do a speedtest to Baltimore Comcast and share the result here. I wanna see how much a pure Fiber line like Digicel would get to know if to switch from Flow.

Ooh and if possible and u have time maybe a speedtest to somewhere in Florida

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 17th, 2019, 11:10 am

^ Thanks man.

VERY impressive test to Baltimore, tho I wonder why the ping is so high in Miami.. I get about 90ms to Miami also hmm.....
I remember men here used to get all kinda 47ms to Miami a couple years ago with Digicel.

I get 90ms to baltimore so that is a MASSIVE difference with Digicel jed WOW

Can you do one more to New York and one to Texas? very much appreciated.

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Parvin » March 17th, 2019, 11:23 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:^ Thanks man.

VERY impressive test to Baltimore, tho I wonder why the ping is so high in Miami.. I get about 90ms to Miami also hmm.....
I remember men here used to get all kinda 47ms to Miami a couple years ago with Digicel.

I get 90ms to baltimore so that is a MASSIVE difference with Digicel jed WOW

Can you do one more to New York and one to Texas? very much appreciated.

No probs

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 17th, 2019, 12:11 pm

LOL 53ms to New York yes and imagine that is 2200 miles eh. That so good wow cause on Flow you get 96ms....... OMG

Ok so do you recommend Digicel? do they have any frequent outages and stuff?

PS: do you have any idea why the ping in Miami is so high? considering that its supposed to be the lowest as Miami is the closest?
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on March 17th, 2019, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Parvin » March 17th, 2019, 12:16 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:LOL 53ms to New York yes and imagine that is 2200 miles eh. That so good wow cause on Flow you get 96ms....... OMG

In all honesty, I’ve never had a single issue with their internet service. Cable channels go down maybe once a week but only for a few minutes. Other than that, internet is always reliable. I’m from cunupia area if it matters in terms of location.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 17th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Parvin wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:LOL 53ms to New York yes and imagine that is 2200 miles eh. That so good wow cause on Flow you get 96ms....... OMG

In all honesty, I’ve never had a single issue with their internet service. Cable channels go down maybe once a week but only for a few minutes. Other than that, internet is always reliable. I’m from cunupia area if it matters in terms of location.

wow thats awesome. I go make the switch cause I need lowest possible latency for fighting games.

BTW do you have any idea why the latency test in Miami is so high? its closer than NY so it supposed to be way lower.

You wanna do maybe another test somewhere else like in Orlando Florida or something and see if maybe its just an issue with Miami? in my Mind Florida supposed to have way better latency than that.

PS: is Digicel Fiber to the building? meaning that the Fiber Optic Line runs all the way to the Modem?

Parvin
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Parvin » March 17th, 2019, 12:31 pm

I don't really have much technical knowledge about this stuff ... sorry :roll:

But it's just a basic install and use. Not sure if there are any settings or tweaks that can be made for improvements.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:PS: is Digicel Fiber to the building? meaning that the Fiber Optic Line runs all the way to the Modem?

Yup, direct connection

Last edited by Parvin on March 17th, 2019, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » March 17th, 2019, 12:32 pm

So with Digicel a month now, location is San Fernando. The internet service is excellent BUT something up with their modem-router combo. I get occasional drops from the network and have to reconnect, once connected no problems. My laptop and phone isn't far from the access point, about 12 feet. No problem with wired connections at all so i'm guessing the modem part is good but something off with the router part.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 17th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Parvin wrote:I don't really have much technical knowledge about this stuff ... sorry :roll:

But it's just a basic install and use. Not sure if there are any settings or tweaks that can be made for improvements.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:PS: is Digicel Fiber to the building? meaning that the Fiber Optic Line runs all the way to the Modem?

Yup, direct connection

ok nice

Its definitely much better than Flow.

lchan485
3NE 2NR for life

Postby lchan485 » March 17th, 2019, 1:12 pm

No Big Difference for me on Flow 100Mb. In PoS. I guess im close to a Node. ImageImage

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 17th, 2019, 2:35 pm

so I did a test on our local Digicel server and it is as I suspected the ping is 127ms, there is no interconnection between Digicel and Flow. The signal going to miami and coming back, very very very sad sad day for Trinidad where our ISP are so 3rd world in thinking

So so horrible this is why I cannot play with my friend who is just a few miles away from me right here in Trinidad.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 17th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Anybody knows the model number of the Modem Digicel gives you?

Do you get the same Modem for Broadband only subscription? if someone knows please feel free to post it thanks

Soochi boi
Street 2NR

Digicel Internet Thread

Postby Soochi boi » March 17th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Suppose to be the same modem straight across the board , but when I first applied they only had routers that provided 2.4 bandwidth. It’s ftth but just like everything location tends to vary with service unfortunately. Check how the service runs in your area .Image
Last edited by Soochi boi on March 17th, 2019, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 17th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Thanks one last question

Is the Fiber Optic cable going into the modem easy to break? what happens if someone trips on a cord and throws down the modem and it breaks? will you have to get a Digicel technician to come home and fix it?

Asking only cause I heard those cables are fragile and I never had a internet before with a optical cable going direct to the modem. So am not sure if this is an issue I have to worry about or what not.

How that cable set up exactly is there a box on your wall outside your house? where from there you have an additional optical cable coming into the modem? so if something goes wrong it would be easy to replace?

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » March 17th, 2019, 5:20 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Thanks one last question

Is the Fiber Optic cable going into the modem easy to break? what happens if someone trips on a cord and throws down the modem and it breaks? will you have to get a Digicel technician to come home and fix it?

Asking only cause I heard those cables are fragile and I never had a internet before with a optical cable going direct to the modem. So am not sure if this is an issue I have to worry about or what not.

How that cable set up exactly is there a box on your wall outside your house? where from there you have an additional optical cable coming into the modem? so if something goes wrong it would be easy to replace?

Yea there is the usual box on the wall and the ethernet and fiber optic cable comes to the router. The cable is thin. The guy did tell me that if i disconnect the cable at anytime, try not to get the tip dirty cuz dat causes problems.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 17th, 2019, 5:28 pm

alright thanks

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » March 17th, 2019, 5:53 pm

The_Honourable wrote:So with Digicel a month now, location is San Fernando. The internet service is excellent BUT something up with their modem-router combo. I get occasional drops from the network and have to reconnect, once connected no problems. My laptop and phone isn't far from the access point, about 12 feet. No problem with wired connections at all so i'm guessing the modem part is good but something off with the router part.
Jus like flow router/modem.. I using my expensive router as my wifi signal

Sarcasm
Riding on 13's

Postby Sarcasm » March 18th, 2019, 1:54 am

eitech wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Thanks one last question

Yea there is the usual box on the wall and the ethernet and fiber optic cable comes to the router. The cable is thin. The guy did tell me that if i disconnect the cable at anytime, try not to get the tip dirty cuz dat causes problems.

I'm pretty sure that the fiber cable doesn't go into the modem. (correct me if I'm wrong some1). Looking at the modem, there is no optical port for a fiber connector to plug into.
The 'box' u have on the wall seems to be an ONT terminal where the fiber connection terminates in its optical port and an ethernet cable goes from the ONT to the modem.

This is just my theory since I've never seen Digicel's internet setup, only the modem on their website.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 18th, 2019, 6:11 am

Sarcasm wrote:... The 'box' u have on the wall seems to be an ONT terminal where the fiber connection terminates in its optical port and an ethernet cable goes from the ONT to the modem...

Digicel's Play typically installs a palm sized box on the wall that connects directly to the incoming line. The box on the wall is a termination point.

The modem can be discrete or built into the router.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 18th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Got a hold of a digicel connection today so used my smartphone to do a bunch of test here are the results for those interested

What I find bizarre is how low the ping is to canada compared to Miami

Can anybody here even attempt to explain this?

How is latency to canada lower than most parts of the us? More north u go the better the latency

And yes I did multiple tests to this but the best out of all is blu fiber this is unbelievable

Ping test meter website

New york 70ms

USA Los Angeles 136

Seattle 136

Speed test

Atlantic metro new york 64ms

At&t 52ms

New york speed test 51ms

Orlando at&t 80ms

Baltimore comcast 74

New jersey 74 comcast

Washington at&t 61ms

Los Angeles 112 at&t

Inform telecom 201 brazil

Augusta Georgia comcast 85ms

Spirit communications south carolina 67

At&t north carolina 68ms

Pennsylvania comcast 78ms

Washington speedtest 70

Time Warner cable Ohio 92ms

Comcast Houston 92

Tennessee at&t 72ms
Comcast 105ms
Fiber optics 73ms

At&t miami 72ms

76ms comcast miami jitter 43ms

Orlando at&t 80ms

Spectrum 100ms

Jacksonville at&t 87ms
Comcast 99ms

Dallas TX speedtest.net 87ms

Bell Canada toronto 85ms

Roger's toronto 85ms

Roger's Montreal 84ms

Blu fiber Montreal 58ms jitter 37

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » March 18th, 2019, 4:02 pm

supernedd wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:So with Digicel a month now, location is San Fernando. The internet service is excellent BUT something up with their modem-router combo. I get occasional drops from the network and have to reconnect, once connected no problems. My laptop and phone isn't far from the access point, about 12 feet. No problem with wired connections at all so i'm guessing the modem part is good but something off with the router part.

So disable the router settings and hook up a separate one?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » March 18th, 2019, 4:18 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Got a hold of a digicel connection today so used my smartphone to do a bunch of test here are the results for those interested

What I find bizarre is how low the ping is to canada compared to Miami

Can anybody here even attempt to explain this?

How is latency to canada lower than most parts of the us? More north u go the better the latency

And yes I did multiple tests to this but the best out of all is blu fiber this is unbelievable

Internet routing is extremely complicated now.. more than ever, and it gets more complicated everyday with hundreds of Gigabytes and servers added daily to the internet. Don't even try to understand it. But it is not as simple as sending a file to a single server located in Canada, or in USA. You seem to believe that there's a direct cable connecting to each server you're testing. And it's not even as simple as having a fiber connection vs a cable connection for ping times. The entire of TT could be wired with fiber alone and that still may not give you optimal ping times.

Try to do some reading. What are you trying to accomplish by all this? What is the end game of complaining about our local ISPs here and attempting to compare them with USA ISPs and the massive and very expensive infrastructure they have there, saying that we are so 3rd world, etc, etc? Despite that our ISPs have to use the exact same internet protocols as everywhere else in the world in order for the internet to work? You really don't have a clue about anything much eh? You don't even try to learn! How you so boy?

This video show just a small part of how much expensive infrastructure has to be used for a small part of the internet, and how very complicated it is to set up a network like that.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 18th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Well my aim was to determine if a digicel connection would allow me lower latency in fighting games that used delay based net code but not sure how these speed tests would be viable for determining if digicel is better for per to peer delay based net code games

All I know is digicel latency test is far lower to canada than flow I am gonna assume it would be a similar situation if it was peer to peer delay?

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » March 18th, 2019, 4:38 pm

all that long talk about ping could have sworn he was doing some important work. but its just to play street fighter :|

blitz83
Street 2NR

Postby blitz83 » March 18th, 2019, 4:43 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Well my aim was to determine if a digicel connection would allow me lower latency in fighting games that used delay based net code but not sure how these speed tests would be viable for determining if digicel is better for per to peer delay based net code games

All I know is digicel latency test is far lower to canada than flow I am gonna assume it would be a similar situation if it was peer to peer delay?

Well you hadda look for a padner in Canada then. Problem solved. That could be your homework for tonight.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » March 18th, 2019, 7:15 pm

The_Honourable wrote:
supernedd wrote:

So disable the router settings and hook up a separate one?
If u could . What I did is ..I jack my router into the flow modem/router . And signing all my devices into my personal router. Which is faster and have a larger signal . I tried using the flow router for wifi .but the signal keep dropping off n on and doesn't have much range . Compared to my personal one

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”