Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby air wick » May 4th, 2019, 8:57 pm

It’s actually a dual chamber septic tank. There is a baffle wall in there.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 4th, 2019, 9:00 pm

What’s the benefit of duAl ?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 5th, 2019, 4:45 am

Dual-tank, single-chamber designs give you greater capacity using smaller units to fit on slopes and in tighter areas.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 5th, 2019, 8:20 am

Ok, I guess also first unit would be the one to clean when that time comes

adnj wrote:Dual-tank, single-chamber designs give you greater capacity using smaller units to fit on slopes and in tighter areas.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 5th, 2019, 8:46 am

pugboy wrote:Ok, I guess also first unit would be the one to clean when that time comes

adnj wrote:Dual-tank, single-chamber designs give you greater capacity using smaller units to fit on slopes and in tighter areas.
Both tanks will have scum and sludge but the first tank will likely have more. Usually you just empty both if the service truck has the capacity.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 5th, 2019, 9:02 am

But it would be less likely for crud to reach the rubble drain and clog it up presumably

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 5th, 2019, 11:26 am

In general, yes. All things being equal, a baffled tank or a twin tank will work better at scum sequestration than a single tank with no baffle.

No matter what the design, the best safeguard against a failed septic system is over-capacitization. In my experience, few are willing to shoulder the extra cost but they tend to pay for it in the end (pun intended).

RNR66
Riding on 16's

Postby RNR66 » May 7th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Can anyone say if those Radiant shield Barriers used under roof sheeting makes a significant Difference in interior temperature?
My online research so far indicates a 5-10 % decrease for tropical countries. Wondering if that is really worth the $6000 cost and also the durability of this foil based product.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 7th, 2019, 9:45 pm

We had put it when we changed our roof sheeting a long time ago,
Can't say yes or no, but I think it helped slightly.

A well vented ceiling is recommended in general
The best thing they say is to install ceiling exhaust fans to move the hot air out of the ceiling.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 8th, 2019, 7:20 am

RNR66 wrote:Can anyone say if those Radiant shield Barriers used under roof sheeting makes a significant Difference in interior temperature?
My online research so far indicates a 5-10 % decrease for tropical countries. Wondering if that is really worth the $6000 cost and also the durability of this foil based product.
I have seen differences in under-ceiling temperatures of a few °C for similar structures in close proximity but that kind of comparison is meaningless because there are so many variables.

That 5% to 10% reduction is energy cost savings. For a residential A/C electrical bill of $300 to $1000 each month, you may save $15 to $100 each month. Your payback would be as long as 33 years or as short as 5 years.

Because Trinidad enjoys some of the cheapest electricity on the planet, the payback is long. If the $/kWh goes up, the payback gets shorter.

Personally, I would not install a new roof without a radiant barrier.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 8th, 2019, 7:56 am

in other countries the thick type fiber insulation is preferred,
I have never seen that utilized for homes locally, probably much more expensive

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 8th, 2019, 11:10 am

pugboy wrote:in other countries the thick type fiber insulation is preferred,
I have never seen that utilized for homes locally, probably much more expensive
Fiberglass insulation is used to prevent heat loss in temperate and cold climates. It is typically used locally in cold rooms and refrigerated walk-ins. It isn't super expensive but it is no fun to install it because of the high risk of skin and lung irritation.

Fiberglass does not assist in preventing radiant heat gain either. In fact, it tends to warm and trap in the heat. The reasoning behind the common local practice of "putting thermal wrap" on a car battery is puzzling to me for that same reason.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 8th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Best septic tank/soakaway. :D
Attachments
IMG_20190507_112154.jpg

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 8th, 2019, 7:59 pm

I don't know if it showing properly, but its the concrete line that goes to wasa's sewer system. No problems ever

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 8th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Nah the best soakaway is a overflow to the box drain

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » May 17th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Guys ....need some advice........ I’m presently doing some renovations and the builder is saying that the ‘old’ wall where the ‘New’ walls meet need to be mudded using gypsum compound to give the wall a smooth finish/look ......another person was saying that I should use a concrete repair type mud which should be the correct one??

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 17th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Gypsum mud or drywall joint compound offers little to no structural integrity. If both walls are clay or concrete block, the walls would typically be cleated together then the new block would be plastered with concrete mud. It is the concrete plaster applied to the surface of clay block that makes the wall durable.

If the existing wall was concrete plastered, there is no need to add additional concrete to the wall.

It is not unusual to add an additional skim coat of drywall joint compound for a smoother finish.
Last edited by adnj on May 17th, 2019, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » May 17th, 2019, 9:16 pm

I’m not implying that the joint compound be used to plaster the wall.......all the walls are plastered but there are plenty imperfections due to the masons not doing a perfect job

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » May 17th, 2019, 9:17 pm

I need to know if the drywall compound will flake later down or is there something else that can be used????

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 17th, 2019, 9:47 pm

^ no it shouldn't

Lots of people "mud" their concrete walls to give it a super smooth look. Makes the paint look even better!

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 17th, 2019, 10:00 pm

If the old wall was previously painted, the quality of the gypsum mud skim will depend entirely on how well your contractor does his work. I've seen good and not good. If the wall gets exposed to moisture, the results will not be good.

Personally, if the existing wall is concrete, poorly plastered and then painted, I would not attempt to smooth it out at all. I would cover it with plycem or even gypsum board or just leave it as-is.
Last edited by adnj on May 17th, 2019, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » May 17th, 2019, 10:03 pm

The walls were only primed so far

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 17th, 2019, 10:27 pm

If it's an outdoor wall I won't recommend gypsum mud as I am not sure it's designed for exposure to the elements. Indoor yes.

Outdoors you can consider spackle from Sherwin Williams. I used that and it's real good.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 18th, 2019, 9:30 am

Primed walls will accept gypsum mud better than any paint but not as well as bare concrete or bare plaster. Don't attempt to mud a wall painted with gloss or semigloss finishes.

Assuming that these are interior walls:
Prime the wall again and let it dry overnight. Although expensive, Drylok or another waterproof primer will give better protection from moisture that can move through concrete.

The gypsum mud skim coat should be only a few millimeters thick - 5 mm or less. Let the skim coat dry for a day or two and then sand. Prime the skim coat. You can wipe down the skim coat with a damp sponge for an even smoother finish if desired.

telfer wrote:The walls were only primed so far

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » May 18th, 2019, 12:00 pm

adnj wrote:Primed walls will accept gypsum mud better than any paint but not as well as bare concrete or bare plaster. Don't attempt to mud a wall painted with gloss or semigloss finishes.

Assuming that these are interior walls:
Prime the wall again and let it dry overnight. Although expensive, Drylok or another waterproof primer will give better protection from moisture that can move through concrete.

The gypsum mud skim coat should be only a few millimeters thick - 5 mm or less. Let the skim coat dry for a day or two and then sand. Prime the skim coat. You can wipe down the skim coat with a damp sponge for an even smoother finish if desired.

telfer wrote:The walls were only primed so far

Good info there thanks

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 18th, 2019, 12:20 pm

5 mm real thick though.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » May 18th, 2019, 2:00 pm

I'm currently
pugboy wrote:We had put it when we changed our roof sheeting a long time ago,

The best thing they say is to install ceiling exhaust fans to move the hot air out of the ceiling.
air wick wrote:
pugboy wrote:Nice long rubble drain
Any pics of inside soakaway ?

Did you cast the base of the soakaway?

I'm currently dealing with soakaway headaches. Definitely not a trivial problem.

6 years into the initial one, it stopped flowing. I'm still unsure as to what caused it. It may be a combination of a few things - not cleaning the old tank soon enough and possibly the caving in of the side walls.

I'm digging a new one and noticing that the soil may not be best regarding penetration. But the new soak away hole might also be a little too close to the old one so the diggers are experiencing some caving in and a little seepage.

I bought some geotextile fabric but I'm not sure if that would be sufficient to prevent sediment filtering back into the stone.

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Building a house in Trinidad

Postby air wick » May 18th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Lance wrote:I'm currently
pugboy wrote:We had put it when we changed our roof sheeting a long time ago,

air wick wrote:
pugboy wrote:Nice long rubble drain
Any pics of inside soakaway ?

Did you cast the base of the soakaway?

I'm currently dealing with soakaway headaches. Definitely not a trivial problem.

6 years into the initial one, it stopped flowing. I'm still unsure as to what caused it. It may be a combination of a few things - not cleaning the old tank soon enough and possibly the caving in of the side walls.

I'm digging a new one and noticing that the soil may not be best regarding penetration. But the new soak away hole might also be a little too close to the old one so the diggers are experiencing some caving in and a little seepage.

I bought some geotextile fabric but I'm not sure if that would be sufficient to prevent sediment filtering back into the stone.

Yes I cast the base for the soak away pit.
This is Travis btw.
Last edited by air wick on May 18th, 2019, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » May 18th, 2019, 2:21 pm

I thought it was you!

With the base casted, it's probably designed to operate differently from a traditional soakaway. I'm guessing that's why you have the rubble drain after the soakaway tank.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 18th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Boy you might end up with a well from the seepage of the old soakaway

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”