TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

B14 Head and Block

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

B14 Head and Block

Postby Chris00007 » June 10th, 2019, 5:15 pm

So I had a coolant leak right behind the oil pan below the car but it only leaked when the engine was hot so I carried it by a mechanic to check it out.

Apparently this man said I need a whole new head and block replacement and quoting me $3000 for the head and block and $1500 to change it.

The car actually runs good imo and it doesn't overheat so I think I should get a second opinion but I want to know the average price of a head and block and the price to change it because I think this man on sh*t because of that price he quoting.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: B14 Head and Block

Postby hydroep » June 10th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Buh yuh could get a whole FU engine fuh dat price...:|

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » June 10th, 2019, 5:23 pm

hydroep wrote:Buh yuh could get a whole FU engine fuh dat price...:|

Same thing I thinking. So I should get a second opinion? I think this price wayy to high for a b14 and I don't even think I need a whole head and block with just a coolant leak!

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 10th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Last year when I checked for one it was $2,500. Take a drive through bamboo with the 14, you'll have no problem getting prices to compare.

I actually just fixed a coolant leak due to a bad hose. You had any previous engine work done? Head gasket good from the leak....any overheating happened?

My mechanic told me to top up the radiator when the car is cool, and look for bubbles coming up. If I see that occurring then the gasket is gone and air is getting in somewhere (he explained it better) and the fact that I had some jackass do some previous engine work, I may just need the head and block as the block may not be able to take any more shaving.

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » June 10th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Soul Collector wrote:Last year when I checked for one it was $2,500. Take a drive through bamboo with the 14, you'll have no problem getting prices to compare.

I actually just fixed a coolant leak due to a bad hose. You had any previous engine work done? Head gasket good from the leak....any overheating happened?

My mechanic told me to top up the radiator when the car is cool, and look for bubbles coming up. If I see that occurring then the gasket is gone and air is getting in somewhere (he explained it better) and the fact that I had some jackass do some previous engine work, I may just need the head and block as the block may not be able to take any more shaving.

No overheating and the engine runs good imo. This is my first car so I not sure about the technical stuff but everything runs fine without any overheating. The coolant leak is just there when the engine warms up but as soon as it colds, everything is normal again.

Did an oil change last week and everything seems good with the oil so I don't think coolant is mixing with the oil because I hear the oil looks different when coolant mixing with it. So I not sure why this man saying it's a whole head and block but I want some opinions on this because I find that price ridiculous. Thanks

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » June 10th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Get a second opinion
Or if u can get pics of where the suspected leak is, post it here

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 10th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Chris00007 wrote:No overheating and the engine runs good imo. This is my first car so I not sure about the technical stuff but everything runs fine without any overheating. The coolant leak is just there when the engine warms up but as soon as it colds, everything is normal again.

Did an oil change last week and everything seems good with the oil so I don't think coolant is mixing with the oil because I hear the oil looks different when coolant mixing with it. So I not sure why this man saying it's a whole head and block but I want some opinions on this because I find that price ridiculous. Thanks

Not a car guru by any means myself, still learning about my car. That sounds oddly familiar though. I didn't have any leaks (that I knew of) when the engine was cool and on short runs where I just cruised so the leak wasn't as obvious to me. Looking back on it now, this was leaking from way before but I just never realized what was going on cuz plenty other shite going on too, lol.

Are you losing more water than usual? When you park up after a long run where the engine is hot, do you see a LOT of coolant coming out? You definitely need a second opinion. Mechanic does feel you shittin money and just be like "yeah man get a whole new one and done".

Just something I realized after dealing with many clowns who pass themselves off as mechanics who "just trying to help" - the more they talk, any talk, ole talk, whatever, they full of sheit.

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » June 10th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Soul Collector wrote:
Chris00007 wrote:No overheating and the engine runs good imo. This is my first car so I not sure about the technical stuff but everything runs fine without any overheating. The coolant leak is just there when the engine warms up but as soon as it colds, everything is normal again.

Not a car guru by any means myself, still learning about my car. That sounds oddly familiar though. I didn't have any leaks (that I knew of) when the engine was cool and on short runs where I just cruised so the leak wasn't as obvious to me. Looking back on it now, this was leaking from way before but I just never realized what was going on cuz plenty other shite going on too, lol.

Are you losing more water than usual? When you park up after a long run where the engine is hot, do you see a LOT of coolant coming out? You definitely need a second opinion. Mechanic does feel you shittin money and just be like "yeah man get a whole new one and done".

Just something I realized after dealing with many clowns who pass themselves off as mechanics who "just trying to help" - the more they talk, any talk, ole talk, whatever, they full of sheit.

Thanks for the reply and Yes this is exactly the case. I'm losing a lot of water from the leak and it's about a 20oz bottle I have to fill every day or so. The man said the Water Pump gone too but I find it odd because the car not overheating at all! I don't know if to just leave the car there and let him do the stuff and fix it one time or if he's just robbing me.

Just asking, if the Water Pump gone, won't the car overheat? And if the car running rell smooth without any misfiring etc. Would this be the whole head and block need replacement? This driving me crazy right now

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 10th, 2019, 6:39 pm

is this mechanic located near or under a mango tree?

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » June 10th, 2019, 6:43 pm

maj. tom wrote:is this mechanic located near or under a mango tree?

I don't understand what you mean but he's in Debe

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 10th, 2019, 7:09 pm

GA15 head and block is around $1200-$1500....check through bamboo

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » June 10th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Chris00007 wrote:

Big shed in lalbeharry trace?

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » June 10th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Find another mechanic for a second or third opinion.
If you don't know what about a mechanic under a mango tree, you probably now get your license. Go by a professional garage or ask your friends or family to recommend a mechanic to go by.

Also find out if details of your car is 1.5 or 1.6 litre (local) before calling. I had a b13 and b14 before. Based on age of vehicle it could be water jackets leaking, water pump starting to fail, bad radiator cap, or a leak somewhere in radiator, cracked hoses, cracked overflow bottle etc.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 10th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Chris00007 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Op, if is just a hose leaking i'd advise you pull it off and check the metal under to see if it if its corroded. Saw that happen with cars and coolant leak out under the corroded surface. If the hose old and brittle but you wanna use it back, sand off the corrosion put on a bit of red or grey silicone (cant remember which is for high temps), on the metal and slide the hose on. Then tighten hose clip.

Your welcome.

You cant wanna drive car and not know anything about it. Thats what you have trinituner for. :drinking: :drinking:

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 11th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Chris00007 wrote:Just asking, if the Water Pump gone, won't the car overheat?

I'd assume so. Someone mentioned changing your radiator cap above. You can be losing water through that also if yours is bad.

For now, try to isolate where exactly the leak is, and from what, whether its a bad hose or what have you. Get that sorted first ONLY. If that's how that fella talking already, don't even let him check that for you, let someone else fix it if you not able yourself cuz they like to tie up people who they realize not knowledgeable about cars...most of them anyway.

Yeah, we should know more about our vehicles, fine, but they also could be less crook/asshole-like as well. Swear it does seem like a miracle when you find a decent human being to conduct business with in an honest and professional manner. You pay, they do the work, problem is resolved, everyone happy. If only it was so simple.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » June 12th, 2019, 9:49 am

ProtonPowder wrote:
Chris00007 wrote:

Big shed in lalbeharry trace?

Thats Hollis you speak off...

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » June 12th, 2019, 7:57 pm

TurboSingh12 wrote:Thats Hollis you speak off...

the man himself 8-)

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » June 13th, 2019, 11:58 am

Chris00007 wrote:So I had a coolant leak right behind the oil pan below the car ]but it only leaked when the engine was hot so I carried it by a mechanic to check it out. .

how far do you normally drive in relation to only when it gets hot?
how much coolant / water do you have to replace and how often?

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » June 13th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Soul Collector wrote:
Chris00007 wrote:Just asking, if the Water Pump gone, won't the car overheat?

I'd assume so. Someone mentioned changing your radiator cap above. You can be losing water through that also if yours is bad.

For now, try to isolate where exactly the leak is, and from what, whether its a bad hose or what have you. Get that sorted first ONLY. If that's how that fella talking already, don't even let him check that for you, let someone else fix it if you not able yourself cuz they like to tie up people who they realize not knowledgeable about cars...most of them anyway.

Yeah, we should know more about our vehicles, fine, but they also could be less crook/asshole-like as well. Swear it does seem like a miracle when you find a decent human being to conduct business with in an honest and professional manner. You pay, they do the work, problem is resolved, everyone happy. If only it was so simple.

I completely agree. I got another man to check it for me and he said he has a lot of work to do so he'll get time to fix it for me this weekend (I'll update on the progress), but he's almost sure it's not the head and block needs changing.

He said everything in the engine runs very good and he thinks it's just a hose that'll cost me about $200, parts and labour. I'm just hoping that's all that need to be fixed.

It's sad how so many mechanics does rob people so easily these days, I almost had to spend almost $5k for a leak that was just a hose. Also, this new mechanic said that even if it's the entire head and block, a b14 one would only cost about $1500 and $1000 to put on.

It just goes to show how some of these mechanics now are just high-class con men and thieves!

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » June 13th, 2019, 8:22 pm

wagonrunner wrote:
Chris00007 wrote:So I had a coolant leak right behind the oil pan below the car ]but it only leaked when the engine was hot so I carried it by a mechanic to check it out. .

how far do you normally drive in relation to only when it gets hot?
how much coolant / water do you have to replace and how often?

It usually takes about a 20oz bottle a day and as soon as the heat gauge levels out at half, the leak becomes noticeable and intensifies when the car is switched off.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » June 13th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Chris00007 wrote: the leak becomes noticeable and intensifies when the car is switched off.

because the water pump runs with the engine. hot fuid in the hot vessel (block) will expand.
i've seen porous blocks. not from the location you specify.
debe had some decent prices on head and block.
1500 in labor seems a bit high, but maybe that is the rate for good service now.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » June 14th, 2019, 9:07 am

wagonrunner wrote:
Chris00007 wrote: the leak becomes noticeable and intensifies when the car is switched off.

because the water pump runs with the engine. hot fuid in the hot vessel (block) will expand.
i've seen porous blocks. not from the location you specify.
debe had some decent prices on head and block.
1500 in labor seems a bit high, but maybe that is the rate for good service now.

Speaking to a few mechanics they also charge around $1000 to $1500.

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”