Forums

lf someone to convert r12compressor to r134A

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

akintl0
Street 2NR

lf someone to convert r12compressor to r134A

Postby akintl0 » May 11th, 2019, 11:29 am

lf someone to convert r12compressor to r134A...……….I heard u only need to change the oil in the system

its for a mirage lancer c62a

akintl0
Street 2NR

Re: lf someone to convert r12compressor to r134A

Postby akintl0 » May 11th, 2019, 9:56 pm

bumm-po

akintl0
Street 2NR

Postby akintl0 » May 12th, 2019, 12:13 pm

bummp

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 18th, 2019, 1:28 pm

its not a "conversion " per say the proper way ideally is a little laborious but worth it.

you need to vent the R12 gas safely -

flush the entire system to get rid of any acids that may have been formed

change the high and low pressure line fittings to the R134a standard fittings - the high and low pressure fittings i referring to are the ones you connect your gauges to

replace your drier bottle -

you may elect to change the condenser for a more efficient type as the R134a gas and the R12 gas absorb heat abit differently.

replace any seals you may need to - draw a vacuum on the entire system for about an hr or so.
once you able to hold pressure add PAG oil ( compressor oil) dye of your choice and your R134a gas.

done.

side note
you needed to change the fittings as the R12 gas gauges are different than those of the r134a gauges.

yes there are those who will argue - " 120 PSI is 120 PSI on any gauge you use"

....and i agree with them however 120 psi reading on a R12 gauge set may read as "over charged" as compared to a R134 gauge set and such

not taking environment factors into consideration as yet - when charging up a R134a system

so safest thing get the correct fittings...

akintl0
Street 2NR

Postby akintl0 » June 7th, 2019, 11:11 pm

thank you...…...sorry for late reply

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 8th, 2019, 3:28 pm

skylinechild wrote:its not a "conversion " per say the proper way ideally is a little laborious but worth it.

you need to vent the R12 gas safely -

flush the entire system to get rid of any acids that may have been formed

change the high and low pressure line fittings to the R134a standard fittings - the high and low pressure fittings i referring to are the ones you connect your gauges to

replace your drier bottle -

you may elect to change the condenser for a more efficient type as the R134a gas and the R12 gas absorb heat abit differently.

replace any seals you may need to - draw a vacuum on the entire system for about an hr or so.
once you able to hold pressure add PAG oil ( compressor oil) dye of your choice and your R134a gas.

done.

side note
you needed to change the fittings as the R12 gas gauges are different than those of the r134a gauges.

yes there are those who will argue - " 120 PSI is 120 PSI on any gauge you use"

....and i agree with them however 120 psi reading on a R12 gauge set may read as "over charged" as compared to a R134 gauge set and such

not taking environment factors into consideration as yet - when charging up a R134a system

so safest thing get the correct fittings...

I'd say just do over the entire system because there isnt anywhere that might do a flush here in Trinidad. cost to do it might be more than replacing the entire system.
Also take into consideration line sizes may differ.

It's POE oil you are using.

120 PSI is 120PSI, does not matter the gauge. People who trying a thing need gauges that are "refrigerant specific", true techs can read a pressure temp chart so they can use any gauge to do anything.
Fact R134A pressures can climb as far as 300 PSI on the discharge side depending on conditions.

You vacuume with a micron gauge, not for an hour or so. Pumps differ in CFM rating, a 10cfm pump will do the same job a 3 cfm will in about 1/3 the time. A micron gauge gives you a true reading of when the system is perfectly dry inside and will tell you if there are leaks if the system wasn't pressure tested with nitrogen.
It will be wise to put the oil prior to vacuuming btw.

Dye is not a necissity.

Environmental factors must always be taken into consideration and let them hook up unto the discharge side too because its something men dont like to do or know what it is for. There is no specific pressure to charge to, you have to take environmental factors into consideration or you are doing it wrong.

Sounds like you been conversing with the mango tree auto ac club.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 8th, 2019, 4:03 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
I'd say just do over the entire system because there isnt anywhere that might do a flush here in Trinidad. cost to do it might be more than replacing the entire system.
Also take into consideration line sizes may differ.

It's POE oil you are using.

120 PSI is 120PSI, does not matter the gauge. People who trying a thing need gauges that are "refrigerant specific", true techs can read a pressure temp chart so they can use any gauge to do anything.
Fact R134A pressures can climb as far as 300 PSI on the discharge side depending on conditions.

You vacuume with a micron gauge, not for an hour or so. Pumps differ in CFM rating, a 10cfm pump will do the same job a 3 cfm will in about 1/3 the time. A micron gauge gives you a true reading of when the system is perfectly dry inside and will tell you if there are leaks if the system wasn't pressure tested with nitrogen.
It will be wise to put the oil prior to vacuuming btw.

Dye is not a necissity.

Environmental factors must always be taken into consideration and let them hook up unto the discharge side too because its something men dont like to do or know what it is for. There is no specific pressure to charge to, you have to take environmental factors into consideration or you are doing it wrong.

Sounds like you been conversing with the mango tree auto ac club.

i is not ah expert like u nuh i just know what little i read from the university of google and youtube.

how much ppl u see out there with a micron gauge thou...?

i know they put the vacuum pump on the system draw a vacuum and let it stand and see if the gauge reading move or not.

but if a man cant afford to buy the fancy micron gauge he supposed to stop the method he using that works ??

pressure test with nitrogen ? some say for it and some say against it ...who am i to know... :lol:
men claims it blows out seals and a man claim my car have no leaks when checked with nitrogen.

the ac guy i went to right after - found 4 leaks - who am i to say :lol:

but anyway...when u coming to sort out my ac dan house eah - not car. :lol:

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 13th, 2019, 10:29 pm

You need to find out what a micron gauge is and then understand what I saying. I have a 10 cfm vaccume pump, average joe has a 3 cfm. I do not need to vaccume anywhere as long as the guy with the 3 cfm. My gauge has a built-in micron gauge. Auto ac is expensive, a few jobs can buy one of that easy.

When you pressure test, you pressure test within operating pressures or what the system rated for. How can nitrogen blow out seals if its withing operating pressures? Then the seals will blow out when the system starts working....no?
Nitrogen is a non reactive gas, safe to introduce into the system. Its not wise to let air into those worst yet pressure test with it. But not everything I intend to spoon feed google techs that reading here.

I pass right by you today.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 14th, 2019, 12:58 am

nervewrecker wrote:You need to find out what a micron gauge is and then understand what I saying. I have a 10 cfm vaccume pump, average joe has a 3 cfm. I do not need to vaccume anywhere as long as the guy with the 3 cfm. My gauge has a built-in micron gauge. Auto ac is expensive, a few jobs can buy one of that easy.

When you pressure test, you pressure test within operating pressures or what the system rated for. How can nitrogen blow out seals if its withing operating pressures? Then the seals will blow out when the system starts working....no?
Nitrogen is a non reactive gas, safe to introduce into the system. Its not wise to let air into those worst yet pressure test with it. But not everything I intend to spoon feed google techs that reading here.

I pass right by you today.

padna i cud only tell u my experience - big name tech like yourself - came recommended on tuner self - test my car say no leaks -
took it to a nex place - found 4 leaks - and a faulty evaporator :lol:

like i really hadda watsapp u pics of the job yes to fix my room ac

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 15th, 2019, 8:40 pm

I am no big name tech.
I am a small guy that usually goes by recommendations. Only started advertising here because I dont mind the extra income.

Most of my clients are companies, government and a few high profile pple.

When people fed up with whatever they getting, they simply come to me and never look back.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”