TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby carluva » June 20th, 2019, 10:16 am

So what is the new car market like now wrt sales?

A few years ago, everyone was buying new cars and SUVs but lately I'm not seeing as many.

Are people holding on to their vehicles longer and not opting to buy new?

Just wondering cause this could be why car prices are slowly creeping up even though taxes etc haven't been revised since the last time the Minister of Finance changes the tax structure.

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » June 20th, 2019, 11:08 am

PDW was the longest series to finish in a long time and most reg are new cars so possible

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » June 20th, 2019, 11:48 am

carluva wrote:So what is the new car market like now wrt sales?

A few years ago, everyone was buying new cars and SUVs but lately I'm not seeing as many.

Just wondering cause this could be why car prices are slowly creeping up even though taxes etc haven't been revised since the last time the Minister of Finance changes the tax structure.

Interesting thoughts, my car is 7 1/2 years old now ‘PCU’ with about 80k miles and at the beginning of the year I was considering a new purchase but in the end rather than spend 250-350k on something new I just invested in a major mechanical and suspension overhaul for about 15k and car continues to run reliably so far, not that I am gonna hold for another 8 years but if I can get another 3 years without a major breakdown then it’s more than worth keeping it.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » June 20th, 2019, 7:34 pm

I see the Xtrail drop from 359000 to 299000 and the Sportage from 250000 to 203000

If I was someone who bought recently at the higher prices I would be WDA going on. Has to be that the dealers were taking advantage before

Joshie23
Riding on 17's

Postby Joshie23 » June 20th, 2019, 8:03 pm

PariaMan wrote:

I see the Xtrail drop from 359000 to 299000 and the Sportage from 250000 to 203000

If I was someone who bought recently at the higher prices I would be WDA going on. Has to be that the dealers were taking advantage before

Not sure about the X-Trail but the Sportage is probably at that price point because of the lower taxes it attracts due to the 1.6L engine it comes with as opposed to the previous 2.0L. Don't quote me though.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » June 20th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Joshie23 wrote:
PariaMan wrote:

Not sure about the X-Trail but the Sportage is probably at that price point because of the lower taxes it attracts due to the 1.6L engine it comes with as opposed to the previous 2.0L. Don't quote me though.
No a guy higher up said a co worker bought the same 1.6 a few months earlier for 250000

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » June 20th, 2019, 9:37 pm

PariaMan, that was false marketing. Massy advertised the basic model price for that particular campaign at 369k with a discount down to 299k thus giving the illusion that you saving 70k.Truth is, the basic t32 xtrail was once 263k and with the tax increase it went up to as high as 345k and down to 319k. That 299k is really the 319k version on a further 20k discount. It is the cheapest of the 4 models. Some massy sales reps are involved in some unethical false advertising just to get a sale (If I am wrong on this one, call me out on it).

The Nissan Xtrail at a point in time was one of the best selling SUVs in T&T and now sales have collapsed. They give us too little for too much, no wonder they went to shorty and cried to tax the Hybrid version which was stealing their sales and it back-fire on them.

Right now the CRV, CX5, Vitara, Sportage and Tucson are the hot sellers. SS only brought down the 1.6 not to give you a more affordable vehicle but to widen their profit margins. That 1.6 will creep into former 2.0 pricing and people will continue to buy that mistake of a crossover thinking they got a good deal while the executives collect some large bonuses.

I feel sorry for people plunking down all that coin to buy those CVT xtrails and DCT Tucsons but what do I know? Our CRV may have a potential oil dilution issue which has not surfaced yet. Knock on wood.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » June 21st, 2019, 4:43 am

The new car market in Trinidad is crap

With the current taxation system taxes so high we basically buying taxes and paying high insurance on taxes

The dealer killing us with their excessive markups (which we paying taxes on to)

They then killing us with service charges (some countries have much larger service intervals and capped service cost)

The banks now allowing 10 years on 300000 and over cars (some countries have 0 APR)

Finally we the consumers being fed shite and calling it ice cream and gobbling it up
Last edited by PariaMan on June 21st, 2019, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 21st, 2019, 6:33 am

greggle71 wrote:

Interesting thoughts, my car is 7 1/2 years old now ‘PCU’ with about 80k miles and at the beginning of the year I was considering a new purchase but in the end rather than spend 250-350k on something new I just invested in a major mechanical and suspension overhaul for about 15k and car continues to run reliably so far, not that I am gonna hold for another 8 years but if I can get another 3 years without a major breakdown then it’s more than worth keeping it.
What vehicle is this for?

kg494EJ-1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kg494EJ-1 » June 21st, 2019, 10:07 am

That would've been the 2.0 the 1.6 has now touched our shores
mitch1980 wrote:
ADONI wrote:
mitch1980 wrote:Kia Sportage prices dropped tremendously.
co worker bought her a few months ago for over 250k

That would be for the 2.0L version right? Your co-worker

No. 1.6L

CloudBoi
Ricer

Postby CloudBoi » June 21st, 2019, 4:13 pm

Any difference between the GT and EX line? Certainly does not seem to be the 200hp cerato gt. I know there is a place in Trini that does bodywork on KIAs (the dealership has used them before to slap a GT badge and some other styling on one of the launch ceratos) also the ex line suddenly gone missing? Kinda weird, no?

Hoping someone can shed some light.

https://www.kiatrinidad.com/vehicles/cerato/
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-06-21-15-34-20~2.png

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 21st, 2019, 8:05 pm

Gosh. Such an abuse of the lettering "GT". One normally associates "GT" with something of improved performance and styling which is associated with the performance... Not this.

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » June 22nd, 2019, 8:19 am

kamakazi wrote:
greggle71 wrote:

What vehicle is this for?

VW Jetta

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » June 25th, 2019, 2:35 am

carluva wrote:Gosh. Such an abuse of the lettering "GT". One normally associates "GT" with something of improved performance and styling which is associated with the performance... Not this.

To be fair men driving around in slow BMW's with 1.5L engines that have "M sport packages"

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » June 25th, 2019, 6:54 am

drchaos wrote:
carluva wrote:Gosh. Such an abuse of the lettering "GT". One normally associates "GT" with something of improved performance and styling which is associated with the performance... Not this.

To be fair men driving around in slow BMW's with 1.5L engines that have "M sport packages"
Lol eh watch nah I in want to laugh nah.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 25th, 2019, 12:49 pm

How much power is enough power

I am actually good with 100-150

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » June 26th, 2019, 1:09 am

kamakazi wrote:How much power is enough power

I am actually good with 100-150

I need minimum 150 in a compact sedan or smaller.
8 second range or less from 0-100km or else I feel like I’m going backwards.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » June 26th, 2019, 8:33 am

Around 140 hp w. 128 ft-lb is quite comfortable imo for a compact sedan but for a new vehicle I would want that power in the lower rpm range. Of course most new cars are coming w. the cvt paired so initial take off is not spectacular but once you are moving things feel quite good.

SYKO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SYKO » July 2nd, 2019, 9:44 pm

Fellas wanna get some input, was looking to purchase a kia niro but then saw the 1.6 sportage ss bringing. For the price it's not to bad, my issue is if the 1.6 might be a lil to small for the vehicle. And ss saying I can't test drive as all have already been sold.

mtec
Street 2NR

Postby mtec » July 2nd, 2019, 10:07 pm

Don't buy blindly, SS acting like that sportage is rare. It may be good value for money but if they bussing style on you for a test drive then you should take your money elsewhere.

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » July 2nd, 2019, 11:43 pm

SYKO wrote:Fellas wanna get some input, was looking to purchase a kia niro but then saw the 1.6 sportage ss bringing. For the price it's not to bad, my issue is if the 1.6 might be a lil to small for the vehicle. And ss saying I can't test drive as all have already been sold.

Make sure and consider ease of servicing in your consideration when buying the vehicle.
Buying is the 1st step.
Getting it easily serviced is critical for you to enjoy the vehicle

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 3rd, 2019, 12:19 am

SYKO wrote:Fellas wanna get some input, was looking to purchase a kia niro but then saw the 1.6 sportage ss bringing. For the price it's not to bad, my issue is if the 1.6 might be a lil to small for the vehicle. And ss saying I can't test drive as all have already been sold.
What do you normally drive?

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » July 3rd, 2019, 5:46 am

Those are two very different vehicles.
You need to decide what you're really looking at in a car.
It'll be easier to get more accurate advice.
I'd always say Niro because I'm pro hybrid

SYKO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SYKO » July 3rd, 2019, 6:16 am

Well actually heading back today as there is a licensed one in the showroom so will see if my rep will let me take a spin.
mtec wrote:Don't buy blindly, SS acting like that sportage is rare. It may be good value for money but if they bussing style on you for a test drive then you should take your money elsewhere.

SYKO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SYKO » July 3rd, 2019, 6:18 am

Servicing isn't an issue as I have a friend in the service dpt so he will ensure everything is done above board and wount have to wait over a month for an appointment.
francis1979 wrote:

Make sure and consider ease of servicing in your consideration when buying the vehicle.
Buying is the 1st step.
Getting it easily serviced is critical for you to enjoy the vehicle

SYKO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SYKO » July 3rd, 2019, 6:19 am

A tiida so this will be a huge step up.
kamakazi wrote:

SYKO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby SYKO » July 3rd, 2019, 6:25 am

I know it's 2 different classes, went in with my mind made up on the niro but got sidetracked with the sportage. Now the space on offer with the sportage can't be ignored. Also I'll be giving up some stuff if I decide to go with the sportage as I was taking the fully loaded niro. Secondly the niro is supposed to give about 1000 kms with my driving, according to what I read with the sportage it should give about 800.
I guess after today I should have my mind completely made up. Will give feed back accordingly
DJ Q wrote:

Those are two very different vehicles.
You need to decide what you're really looking at in a car.
It'll be easier to get more accurate advice.
I'd always say Niro because I'm pro hybrid

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 3rd, 2019, 10:32 am

SYKO, ask yourself, do you see yourself in a Kia Sportage 5 yrs from now? Are you prepared to keep this vehicle for longer or would you sell in a few short years where the resale value would take a huge hit? Are you really willing to commit to SS just to keep your warranty? If your answers to the questions are yes then cool. It’s your money, organize as you see fit.

My advice would be to stay far from such a crossover. A Kia Sportage is a lackluster product imo in all areas and what is catching people is that price. Consider stuff like the Toyota rush 1.5, Suzuki Vitara 1.6 and Subaru XV 1.6 awd. The Subaru is 225k, gives you 8.7” of ground clearance, awd and better resale value. You also mentioned Kia Niro, if you hell bent on Kia, forget that Niro. You would thank me later on.

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » July 3rd, 2019, 10:38 am

SYKO wrote:Well actually heading back today as there is a licensed one in the showroom so will see if my rep will let me take a spin.
mtec wrote:Don't buy blindly, SS acting like that sportage is rare. It may be good value for money but if they bussing style on you for a test drive then you should take your money elsewhere.

Seeing prince increased to 210 k now from 203 k a week ago :roll: :roll:

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 3rd, 2019, 11:42 am

SYKO wrote:A tiida so this will be a huge step up.
kamakazi wrote:

Maybe...As much as people give Tiida a hard time and it has a particular reputation; It is pretty spacious and has good power. Then again I think it is more enjoyable to push a low powered car to its limit.

The vehicles appear to have similar power. I prefer ground clearance, visibility, less electronics (in my mind, less to go wrong and less dependence on parts coming in through SS if it needs something exotic). I also do like good gas mileage.

It might come down to a toss-up between the features you are trading off between the two vehicles.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”