TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby scotty_buttons » July 3rd, 2019, 2:51 pm

Saw a couple g20 3 series on the road.. and my word... it has wayyy more road presence than I expected. Looks much better in person.
Makes my F30 LCI look old
So much want.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 3rd, 2019, 3:06 pm

SYKO wrote: Secondly the niro is supposed to give about 1000 kms with my driving, according to what I read with the sportage it should give about 800.

1,000 on how many litres of fuel vs 800 on how many litres of fuel?
Absolute numbers are essentially meaningless
Unless you compare fuel tank capacities and mpg / l/100 km, that comparison really means nothing

PapaC
Riding on 17's

Postby PapaC » July 3rd, 2019, 10:46 pm

I was about to pull the trigger on an Ioniq when the price of the Sportage caught my eye.
I mean comparing the Niro and the Sportage based on price and size I could see what you wondering.
But it’s going to boil down to what kind of vehicle, it’s use for you, and those kinds of factors.
I am sure the first shipment is sold out already, hence why the price is already raising.

I kept the Ioniq because my plan was for gas consumption, taking the hybrid and it’s benefits and use.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » July 3rd, 2019, 11:24 pm

I have both and my advice would be to stay as far away from southern sales as possible. Terrible service and issues getting parts for the Sportage. Massy is decent so far with the ioniq. But both cars drive great just fuel consumption is high for the Sportage.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 3rd, 2019, 11:33 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:I have both and my advice would be to stay as far away from southern sales as possible. Terrible service and issues getting parts for the Sportage. Massy is decent so far with the ioniq. But both cars drive great just fuel consumption is high for the Sportage.
So funny question... How many powertrain parts are interchangeable between the brands.
Ioniq and Niro
Sportage/Cerato/Elantra

I'm in no way excusing SS but what parts do their vehicles usually call for. I would like to think that a similar component can be had from Hyundai

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » July 4th, 2019, 2:15 pm

kamakazi wrote:
jhonnieblue wrote:I have both and my advice would be to stay as far away from southern sales as possible. Terrible service and issues getting parts for the Sportage. Massy is decent so far with the ioniq. But both cars drive great just fuel consumption is high for the Sportage.
So funny question... How many powertrain parts are interchangeable between the brands.
Ioniq and Niro
Sportage/Cerato/Elantra

I'm in no way excusing SS but what parts do their vehicles usually call for. I would like to think that a similar component can be had from Hyundai

The boxes for the parts from SS would say Hyundai from time to time.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » July 4th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Powertrain, mechanical, suspension and electrical parts are interchangeable. I used Ioniq parts on Niro ,Tucson parts on Sportages and Cerato and Elantra are also interchangeable. Accent and Rio are basically the same. The parts have both Kia and Hyundai markings.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » July 9th, 2019, 9:16 am

What's the typical practice by the dealers in Trinidad regarding the provision of a courtesy/loaner if your vehicle is in the dealership for an extended period for a warranty issue?

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » July 9th, 2019, 11:05 am

triniboi49 wrote:What's the typical practice by the dealers in Trinidad regarding the provision of a courtesy/loaner if your vehicle is in the dealership for an extended period for a warranty issue?

No policy just depends on relationship most times. Stand your ground

lancer_man
Street 2NR

Postby lancer_man » July 9th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Has anyone with the 2017-2019 CR-V or Civic with the 1.5T engine seen issues with oil dilution locally?

I’m considering the CR-V, but not if the resale value will drop due to engine problems.

Sales rep says no reported issues, but I’m a bit hesitant to take their word for it.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 10th, 2019, 7:58 am

20 months and 22,000kms later, no such oil dilution issue detected.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » July 10th, 2019, 10:29 am

My 2018 now reaching its 8th month has no such issue. Here, we use 5w30 full syn vs. the 0w20 used in North America. This article may shed some light: https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda ... on-problem
Based on past experience with the local dealership, recalls are done.

Barrychund
Riding on 13's

New Car Prices in T

Postby Barrychund » July 10th, 2019, 2:06 pm

NEW - Purchased from ECS Tuning but never installed. Information can be seen below:

Water pump -
Thermostat -

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 10th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Anybody hear anything problematic with the new Chevy Cruz?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 10th, 2019, 5:47 pm

lancer_man wrote:Has anyone with the 2017-2019 CR-V or Civic with the 1.5T engine seen issues with oil dilution locally?

I’m considering the CR-V, but not if the resale value will drop due to engine problems.

Sales rep says no reported issues, but I’m a bit hesitant to take their word for it.

Have the 2018 CRV,

Not an issue so far.

And I have a small fleet of 2017 Civics (base) for my staff, they seem to love it, obviously because its a perk but no issues reported from the dealership.

But if ur willing to spend the $ on the CRV, I would also consider the RAV4.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » July 11th, 2019, 12:34 am

lancer_man wrote:Has anyone with the 2017-2019 CR-V or Civic with the 1.5T engine seen issues with oil dilution locally?

You won't know if you have an issue unless you actually send your oil in for an oil analysis. Otherwise people claiming they have the vehicle for X months and they don't have a problem should be taken with a grain of salt.
The other issue is these engines are very new on the market and the problems associated with oil dilution shows up years later not a few months into ownership. Honda says they fixed the problem by using software fix which affects valve and fuel timings and warming up the engine faster

Now onto one more thing ... The manual of the Civic says to use 0w-20 but 5w30/10w30 can be used (which means less Ideal). The engine was designed for 0w20 and this is even for our car which is for the Thai/Malay/Aussie market. The engine was designed for low friction operation and the 0w20 does a better job than heavier oils. Higher friction means more wear and tear. In addition flow characteristics of higher weighted oil are slower which means less lubrication on startup.

I have been using 0w20 Valvoline or Castrol designed for GDI turbo engines. These oils have actually shown to have better protection from carbon build up which will be an issues with these engines (as in all GDI turbo engines). So no I dont trust the dealer on this and their use of 5w30 oil.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 11th, 2019, 12:56 am

^^^makes sense but the local Honda technicians receive occasional training and updates from Honda not so? We are trusting that they know best on the vehicles they sell. As long as the vehicle is under warranty, any issues would be their problem. I suppose, if an owner furnishes them with a blackstone report proving dilution, then watch bacchanal in this place.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 11th, 2019, 1:04 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Anybody hear anything problematic with the new Chevy Cruz?

I was curious months ago and asked my tech friend in there if these gen2 cruzes had any problems and he says none whatsoever. Same applies to the trax and equinox. Apparently these newer GM engines and transmissions are built better now so they can take a little more jamming (I don’t believe it cause all are Opel made). Give owners more time again to rack up some more miles and follow up. I won’t go back there until I see one doing 100k Kms with original tranny still in place.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » July 11th, 2019, 8:35 am

drchaos wrote:

You won't know if you have an issue unless you actually send your oil in for an oil analysis. Otherwise people claiming they have the vehicle for X months and they don't have a problem should be taken with a grain of salt.
The other issue is these engines are very new on the market and the problems associated with oil dilution shows up years later not a few months into ownership. Honda says they fixed the problem by using software fix which affects valve and fuel timings and warming up the engine faster

Now onto one more thing ... The manual of the Civic says to use 0w-20 but 5w30/10w30 can be used (which means less Ideal). The engine was designed for 0w20 and this is even for our car which is for the Thai/Malay/Aussie market. The engine was designed for low friction operation and the 0w20 does a better job than heavier oils. Higher friction means more wear and tear. In addition flow characteristics of higher weighted oil are slower which means less lubrication on startup.

I have been using 0w20 Valvoline or Castrol designed for GDI turbo engines. These oils have actually shown to have better protection from carbon build up which will be an issues with these engines (as in all GDI turbo engines). So no I dont trust the dealer on this and their use of 5w30 oil.

Yes, an oil dilution test will be the ultimate proof but to some extent I do not agree with some things said here since there are tell tale signs as per the link which is what will make you suspect sumtingwong : http://www.hondaproblems.com/oil-dilution/
Also, according to my CRV manual 0w20 was formulated for fuel economy and the use of a viscosity listed is quite safe. So 5w30 is quite fine. Fuel econ is a big deal in North America. Saying it is less than ideal...maybe but Honda the manufacturer says 5w30 is also ideal and not the local dealership. I do agree with flow characteristics though and yes, more friction is never good but IMO 5w30 is fine. My question is; where can I get an oil dilution test done locally that is internationally certified? Maybe is it something worth doing as owners of new 1.5T engines?

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » July 11th, 2019, 12:58 pm

SLVR1 wrote:My question is; where can I get an oil dilution test done locally that is internationally certified? Maybe is it something worth doing as owners of new 1.5T engines?

Try the chemistry lab at CARIRI in UWI. You may have to provide them with the referenced international test method (ASTM, API, BS, ISO, etc.) for the test so that they could confirm whether they are able to do the test.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 11th, 2019, 2:23 pm

blackstone labs is a world-wide service. I emailed them already.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?sessio ... 3%29%29%2F

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » July 11th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Thanks Rory & agent007. I see blackstone has even a letter for the postal service.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 11th, 2019, 9:05 pm

drchaos wrote:

Does it specifically say to use 0w20 or does it give a list of viscosities based on temp like the picture in the previous post by SLVR1

bigmerv
Riding on 13's

Postby bigmerv » July 12th, 2019, 4:35 pm

agent007 wrote:SYKO, ask yourself, do you see yourself in a Kia Sportage 5 yrs from now? Are you prepared to keep this vehicle for longer or would you sell in a few short years where the resale value would take a huge hit? Are you really willing to commit to SS just to keep your warranty? If your answers to the questions are yes then cool. It’s your money, organize as you see fit.

My advice would be to stay far from such a crossover. A Kia Sportage is a lackluster product imo in all areas and what is catching people is that price. Consider stuff like the Toyota rush 1.5, Suzuki Vitara 1.6 and Subaru XV 1.6 awd. The Subaru is 225k, gives you 8.7” of ground clearance, awd and better resale value. You also mentioned Kia Niro, if you hell bent on Kia, forget that Niro. You would thank me later on.

Between the XV, Vezel, Rush which do you find best. Which would be easier to maintain and parts availability.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 12th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Bigmerv,
XV 2.0 is a world vehicle. Parts can easily be sourced online. Subaru dealers in Miami will have lots of parts and consumables ready to ship if you find Massy is giving trouble. The 1.6 shares the same body and suspension parts but the engine is different. The US market does not get the 1.6 so quick little purchases might be a little tougher for that smaller motor.

Vezel is known as HRV in non hybrid form. Vezel is 1.5 and the HRV is 1.8. Support will be easier for the HRV and the R18 engine is also found in the Civic since 2005. You will get good support from Miami as well for this one. As for the Vezel, I do not trust that transmission and a portion of the drive menu display screen AFAIK cannot be changed from Jap to English. When it comes to support, you’re screwed because those grey market dealers generally don’t have a clue on how to service and fix what they sell and critical communication from the manufacturer is absent because again those grey market dealers are not recognized by the auto manufacturers as authorized sellers.

Rush is the slowest but shares an 8.7” ground clearance like the XV. RWD only on a fully boxed ladder frame chassis. It uses a 1.5 EMPFI as opposed to GDI so concerning our terrible gas we get here, this engine might last the longest and the transmission is a 4-speed torque converter automatic, not some CVT or dual clutch that spells trouble in years to come. Reliability and resale should be second to none. Support? You are tied to TTTL for this one as this Toyota doesn’t exist in North America. If TTTL screws you over, then you will have to order directly from an Asian country.

If it were my choice?
1st XV 2.0
2nd Rush
Distant 3rd Vezel.

If hybrid is a must then consider the CHR or Xtrail. If those are too much then you have the non hybrid CHR 1.2T and Qashqai 1.2T available grey market ie. roro dealers

bigmerv
Riding on 13's

Postby bigmerv » July 12th, 2019, 6:22 pm

agent007 wrote:Bigmerv,
XV 2.0 is a world vehicle. Parts can easily be sourced online. Subaru dealers in Miami will have lots of parts and consumables ready to ship if you find Massy is giving trouble. The 1.6 shares the same body and suspension parts but the engine is different. The US market does not get the 1.6 so quick little purchases might be a little tougher for that smaller motor.

Vezel is known as HRV in non hybrid form. Vezel is 1.5 and the HRV is 1.8. Support will be easier for the HRV and the R18 engine is also found in the Civic since 2005. You will get good support from Miami as well for this one. As for the Vezel, I do not trust that transmission and a portion of the drive menu display screen AFAIK cannot be changed from Jap to English. When it comes to support, you’re screwed because those grey market dealers generally don’t have a clue on how to service and fix what they sell and critical communication from the manufacturer is absent because again those grey market dealers are not recognized by the auto manufacturers as authorized sellers.

Rush is the slowest but shares an 8.7” ground clearance like the XV. RWD only on a fully boxed ladder frame chassis. It uses a 1.5 EMPFI as opposed to GDI so concerning our terrible gas we get here, this engine might last the longest and the transmission is a 4-speed torque converter automatic, not some CVT or dual clutch that spells trouble in years to come. Reliability and resale should be second to none. Support? You are tied to TTTL for this one as this Toyota doesn’t exist in North America. If TTTL screws you over, then you will have to order directly from an Asian country.

If it were my choice?
1st XV 2.0
2nd Rush
Distant 3rd Vezel.

If hybrid is a must then consider the CHR or Xtrail. If those are too much then you have the non hybrid CHR 1.2T and Qashqai 1.2T available grey market ie. roro dealers

Thanks for the info.

The XV 2.0 is out of my price range. Would the 1.6 engine give trouble if properly maintained. Or should I go grey market and buy a 2.0

I don't know anything about hybrids but I do see a lot of Vezels on the road.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » July 13th, 2019, 12:54 am

kamakazi wrote:
drchaos wrote:

Does it specifically say to use 0w20 or does it give a list of viscosities based on temp like the picture in the previous post by SLVR1

My bad .. its the same as 007 posted on his post. Its not less Ideal as I earlier mispoke. But I am still concerned about valve deposits which is better with the 0w20 I started to use and the fact that it provides better flow characteristics/ Lower friction and better fuel econ.

drchaos
punchin NOS

Postby drchaos » July 13th, 2019, 1:00 am

Quick question to those with the 1.5 turbo CRV ... Yall using super or premium?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 13th, 2019, 1:42 am

Bigmerv, the 1.6 should be okay for the warranty period. If you intend to keep beyond the warranty then start looking at your options by 150k kms. Whilst I do have confidence in those engines generally, things can get iffy in that 150-200k range. Even still, there are quite a few Subaru specialists that can work on your vehicle when/if that time comes. I’d go for it still. $225k for a vehicle with one of the worlds best awd systems is something hard to pass up on. I think the Suzuki Vitara 1.6 Allgrip is in that price range too.

Drchaos, premium since day 1.

Barrychund
Riding on 13's

New Car Prices in T

Postby Barrychund » July 13th, 2019, 5:44 am

I am having a hard time making a choice between buying new leathers or a new MV. They both have so many benifits.......

Should i get these????

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”