Forums

Open a parlor/mini mart

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Smallie girl1
Ricer

Open a parlor/mini mart

Postby Smallie girl1 » July 20th, 2019, 12:05 am

I have some space to the front of my yard and would like to put up a shop/ mini mart. Can anyone give me advice.

Construction advice also greatly appreciated. :D
:D :D
Last edited by Smallie girl1 on July 20th, 2019, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Re: Open a parlor

Postby daring dragoon » July 20th, 2019, 4:12 am

would you have to go to a wholesale place and buy your stock?
do you call kiss to pass and drop bread or do they just show up?
can you get a liquor license for a shop ?
do you need permission from town and country to build a shop?
what about taxes?

Smallie girl1
Ricer

Postby Smallie girl1 » July 20th, 2019, 9:02 am

Ill start off going to the wholesalers myself.
We have kiss truck delivery vans in this area often enough so ill probably have them do delivery.
I dont intend to sell liquor.

Im not sure about the licences and permits I need to for a shop.
Can anyone advise??

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 20th, 2019, 9:08 am

Smallie girl1 wrote:I have some space to the front of my yard and would like to put up a shop/ mini mart. Can anyone give me advice.

make sure it high enough that flood will not affect it,
if is a walk in, make sure u set it up so no bandit can jump over and come in or jump over the wall, and enter from the back.
put a wall or sumting, that u can walk behind quickly to avoid a gun being pointed at u.
put cameras high and at face level inside and outside to get mulitple angles of any person's face and overall body.

u could check the vans that pass around, to start off. when u get ur customers, u can see if u can get a better price by going to whole salers directly.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 20th, 2019, 9:40 am

I know it's just a parlor, but you should consider approaching this business as a professional:

*Outline your business idea on paper: a business plan. What are your goals, target market, what factors will affect sales, SWOT analysis, where you will set it up.

*What furnishings and physical security you will need to operate the place: Account for every piece of lumber, brick, iron and wire you will have to buy. Concrete for a raised floor? Get an estimate from a builder.

*Create mock estimate invoices from your suppliers: think about what you are going to stock, how much you are going to stock and where you will get it from (I know a lot of small-business mini-marts now stock certain items by buying from PriceSmart). How are you going to keep these records? A notebook, or free software on your Google account cloud? Mr. Tax man also needs this stuff.

*List your expected profits and losses. Consider the reality that certain items do not move from the shelf. Research other successful parlors in another district and ask the owner about this stuff. Would you consider insurance in case something happens? Fire, flood?

Are you going to register this business? Are you going to register for VAT? Is it going to be a Sole Proprietorship where you will be accountable for all profits and losses personally on your account? Those really are questions you need to ask. Can't be ignorant of these rules that exist.
Read More: http://tiny.cc/9etz9y

Do you need a loan to cover these initial costs? If so, the bank requires that you show them this plan on paper first.

All these things are nice to have on paper before spending a dollar on a real business venture no matter how small. It's like a thought experiment where you are covering your bases. You can have a vision to expand in the future or go onto to other ventures to earn higher dollars. If you want that, then NEDCO offers advice and training. Or just open a parlor like how everyone does it in Trinidad: build a shed and stock some items and sell them, the end.
Last edited by maj. tom on July 20th, 2019, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » July 20th, 2019, 10:18 am

Smallie girl1 wrote:Ill start off going to the wholesalers myself.
We have kiss truck delivery vans in this area often enough so ill probably have them do delivery.
I dont intend to sell liquor.

Im not sure about the licences and permits I need to for a shop.
Can anyone advise??

You need a food badge.

Also get town and country approval for the proposed structure

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 20th, 2019, 11:58 am

O smallz,

All the best with the snackette.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 20th, 2019, 12:05 pm

yuh could even put in some roulette machines and ting

dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's

Postby dean_spleen09 » July 20th, 2019, 1:24 pm

pugboy wrote:yuh could even put in some roulette machines and ting

or the infamous 32/1 :wink: :wink:

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 20th, 2019, 2:43 pm

yeah carib for $1, stag for $2, coca cola $3...

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » July 20th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Build the structure and rent pugboy it to open a grocery.

Smallie girl1
Ricer

Re: Open a parlor/mini mart

Postby Smallie girl1 » July 20th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Thanks so far everyone.
Does anyone know what the health inspector would fail you for? Not sure if ill get t &c approval as the existing house didnt have any.
But i think ill still need the building inspector to inspect. Does anyone know about this.

Smallie girl1
Ricer

Postby Smallie girl1 » July 20th, 2019, 3:51 pm

maj. tom wrote:I know it's just a parlor, but you should consider approaching this business as a professional:

*Outline your business idea on paper: a business plan. What are your goals, target market, what factors will affect sales, SWOT analysis, where you will set it up.

*What furnishings and physical security you will need to operate the place: Account for every piece of lumber, brick, iron and wire you will have to buy. Concrete for a raised floor? Get an estimate from a builder.

*Create mock estimate invoices from your suppliers: think about what you are going to stock, how much you are going to stock and where you will get it from (I know a lot of small-business mini-marts now stock certain items by buying from PriceSmart). How are you going to keep these records? A notebook, or free software on your Google account cloud? Mr. Tax man also needs this stuff.

*List your expected profits and losses. Consider the reality that certain items do not move from the shelf. Research other successful parlors in another district and ask the owner about this stuff. Would you consider insurance in case something happens? Fire, flood?

Are you going to register this business? Are you going to register for VAT? Is it going to be a Sole Proprietorship where you will be accountable for all profits and losses personally on your account? Those really are questions you need to ask. Can't be ignorant of these rules that exist.
Read More: http://tiny.cc/9etz9y

Do you need a loan to cover these initial costs? If so, the bank requires that you show them this plan on paper first.

All these things are nice to have on paper before spending a dollar on a real business venture no matter how small. It's like a thought experiment where you are covering your bases. You can have a vision to expand in the future or go onto to other ventures to earn higher dollars. If you want that, then NEDCO offers advice and training. Or just open a parlor like how everyone does it in Trinidad: build a shed and stock some items and sell them, the end.

Ive actually started this (its a great idea) as I want to self finance but I want as much feedback/ knowledge from as much people as possible. Want to cover all my bases.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 20th, 2019, 6:24 pm

pugboy wrote:yuh could even put in some roulette machines and ting

Not so soon breds. Roulette machine is a known pest/bandit magnet.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » July 21st, 2019, 12:56 am

consider taking a security package for your home and shop (eg. Blink Vigilance or others)

small shops are easy targets these days....secure yourself behind your counter....if someone attempts an armed robbery, make sure u can escape behind doors easily..... burglar proof everything, allow no crawl space etc.

registering your business opens up new opportunities for you to expand.....u can get offers from suppliers like signage etc......If business is good u can get a point of sale solution from your bank.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 21st, 2019, 7:27 am

Smallie girl1 wrote:I have some space to the front of my yard and would like to put up a shop/ mini mart. Can anyone give me advice.

Assuming that we are discussing an existing home, TTEC will change your electrical rates from residential to commercial once the shop is open.

The only way around that is to install a splitter panel with separate meters for each structure. The shop will have its own electrical bill at commercial rates.

You will have to decide if the change in service is worth the cost.

Smallie girl1
Ricer

Postby Smallie girl1 » July 21st, 2019, 10:09 am

adnj wrote:

Assuming that we are discussing an existing home, TTEC will change your electrical rates from residential to commercial once the shop is open.

The only way around that is to install a splitter panel with separate meters for each structure. The shop will have its own electrical bill at commercial rates.

You will have to decide if the change in service is worth the cost.

Sounds like a better idea to do the splitter unit. Thanks for that info. Would have to implement went the electrical deing done.

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » July 21st, 2019, 11:54 pm

Its a small shop you are opening, you will have 2 lights 2 fridge and a freezer maximum . it sdoes not make sense going commercial . you will need to register your business and then you will have to do income tax returns etc.

As for the food badge part , it is easy to get i had mines a few years ago when i was planning to open my mini mart. You have to have a structure existing so they can come and inspect unless you say you going to work in a food place(not to sure about that)

Depending on the size of your place you are looking at an initial cost of min 10K for structure , Talk to coke and sm jaleel and see if you can get their fridges to keep their stock , that normally takes a while, look at 6 months min but it hill help you as you do not have to purchase a fridge. only a freezer.

to answer your quesions on what a health inspector will fail you for you can read it on their web site

http://www.health.gov.tt/news/newsitem.aspx?id=219

One of the main functions of the Public Health Inspector is to ensure that food offered for sale is safe and wholesome. There has been a heightened increase in the inspections of food premises and handlers during the carnival period to protect the health and safety of the general public. The Public Health Inspectors have been visiting the various carnival events and establishments from February 10th 2011 to ensure that the food on sale during the carnival period meets the requirements as outlined by the Public Health Inspectorate.

The general public is advised that the provisions under the Public Health Ordinance Chapter 12 No. 4 Section 156 authorize Public Health Inspectors to:

Inspect all food premises in order that they can be registered on or before March 31st, 2011.
Register all food handlers by the above mentioned deadlines.
Definition of Food Under the Public Health Ordinance Chapter 12 No. 4:

Any item whether solid or liquid, cooked or uncooked and intended for human consumption and offered for sale.

Types of Food Handlers:

Fixed establishments which are routinely inspected throughout the year and registered.

Itinerant vendors who move from place and place to ply their trade. The place of preparation is inspected and registered prior to allowing these vendors to sell their food stuff.
Obtaining a food badge:
The public is advised that to obtain a food badge, a person should must:

Contact the nearest office of the County Medical Officer of Health (CMOH), City Corporation or Borough where information would be provided.
Obtain a Medical Certificate.
Attend a Food Lecture at the above mentioned CMOH Offices.
Use the voucher provided to make the required payment to a bank.

Obtain two (2) passport-sized photos.

Display of food badges:
All food handlers are required to display their food badges at all times while conducting business.

Public Health Inspectors role:

The public is advised that Public Health Inspectors will be inspecting all food premises with emphasis on food establishments which offer high risk foods (foods that support the growth and multiplication of bacteria) for sale to the general public.

What will the Public Health Inspector look for?

All Food Vendors: Valid Food Badge i.e. the food handler is registered
Attire: Clean, white apron; head gear; no jewelry; well groomed physical appearance; short and clean finger nails
Environment:
Sufficient running water - Proper garbage storage and disposal
Free from insect vectors and vermin - Dust free area/environment
Adequate toilet facilities - Adequate hand and washing facilities
No stray dogs in food area
Food storage and display:
Hot and cold storage facilities - Secured display
Hot foods served hot (Above 60°C) - Cold foods served cold (Below 5°C)
Food must be served in single service items - Straws must be individually wrapped

Food handling practices by Food Vendors:

Use of food tongs and not hands
No handling of food and money at the same time
For additional information, members of the public may contact the Office of the Chief Public Health Inspector at 625-9437.

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » July 22nd, 2019, 4:48 pm

The best advice iz experience.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » July 23rd, 2019, 5:29 am

opposite my house have a Chinese restaurant and a roti shop and it does have real rats running around in the night. who can i call to have these places closed down or let them clean up their surrounds. i think it build over a drain too so idk if town and country have to get involved but the rats boy the size of the rats big like a cat and they coming into my yard looking around bringing food box an bones an hiding it in my yard. i would rather the place close down or relocate cause the restaurant have a roulette machine and Chinese play whe and it attracting some kinda characters i rather not be around.

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » July 23rd, 2019, 5:58 am

daring dragoon wrote:opposite my house have a Chinese restaurant and a roti shop and it does have real rats running around in the night. who can i call to have these places closed down or let them clean up their surrounds. i think it build over a drain too so idk if town and country have to get involved but the rats boy the size of the rats big like a cat and they coming into my yard looking around bringing food box an bones an hiding it in my yard. i would rather the place close down or relocate cause the restaurant have a roulette machine and Chinese play whe and it attracting some kinda characters i rather not be around.

See above post
For additional information, members of the public may contact the Office of the Chief Public Health Inspector at 625-9437

Smallie girl1
Ricer

Postby Smallie girl1 » July 23rd, 2019, 10:32 am

hong kong phooey wrote:Its a small shop you are opening, you will have 2 lights 2 fridge and a freezer maximum . it sdoes not make sense going commercial . you will need to register your business and then you will have to do income tax returns etc.

As for the food badge part , it is easy to get i had mines a few years ago when i was planning to open my mini mart. You have to have a structure existing so they can come and inspect unless you say you going to work in a food place(not to sure about that)

Depending on the size of your place you are looking at an initial cost of min 10K for structure , Talk to coke and sm jaleel and see if you can get their fridges to keep their stock , that normally takes a while, look at 6 months min but it hill help you as you do not have to purchase a fridge. only a freezer.

to answer your quesions on what a health inspector will fail you for you can read it on their web site

http://www.health.gov.tt/news/newsitem.aspx?id=219

One of the main functions of the Public Health Inspector is to ensure that food offered for sale is safe and wholesome. There has been a heightened increase in the inspections of food premises and handlers during the carnival period to protect the health and safety of the general public. The Public Health Inspectors have been visiting the various carnival events and establishments from February 10th 2011 to ensure that the food on sale during the carnival period meets the requirements as outlined by the Public Health Inspectorate.

The general public is advised that the provisions under the Public Health Ordinance Chapter 12 No. 4 Section 156 authorize Public Health Inspectors to:

Inspect all food premises in order that they can be registered on or before March 31st, 2011.
Register all food handlers by the above mentioned deadlines.
Definition of Food Under the Public Health Ordinance Chapter 12 No. 4:

Any item whether solid or liquid, cooked or uncooked and intended for human consumption and offered for sale.

Types of Food Handlers:

Fixed establishments which are routinely inspected throughout the year and registered.

Itinerant vendors who move from place and place to ply their trade. The place of preparation is inspected and registered prior to allowing these vendors to sell their food stuff.
Obtaining a food badge:
The public is advised that to obtain a food badge, a person should must:

Contact the nearest office of the County Medical Officer of Health (CMOH), City Corporation or Borough where information would be provided.
Obtain a Medical Certificate.
Attend a Food Lecture at the above mentioned CMOH Offices.
Use the voucher provided to make the required payment to a bank.

Obtain two (2) passport-sized photos.

Display of food badges:
All food handlers are required to display their food badges at all times while conducting business.

Public Health Inspectors role:

The public is advised that Public Health Inspectors will be inspecting all food premises with emphasis on food establishments which offer high risk foods (foods that support the growth and multiplication of bacteria) for sale to the general public.

What will the Public Health Inspector look for?

All Food Vendors: Valid Food Badge i.e. the food handler is registered
Attire: Clean, white apron; head gear; no jewelry; well groomed physical appearance; short and clean finger nails
Environment:
Sufficient running water - Proper garbage storage and disposal
Free from insect vectors and vermin - Dust free area/environment
Adequate toilet facilities - Adequate hand and washing facilities
No stray dogs in food area
Food storage and display:
Hot and cold storage facilities - Secured display
Hot foods served hot (Above 60°C) - Cold foods served cold (Below 5°C)
Food must be served in single service items - Straws must be individually wrapped

Food handling practices by Food Vendors:

Use of food tongs and not hands
No handling of food and money at the same time
For additional information, members of the public may contact the Office of the Chief Public Health Inspector at 625-9437.

Were you sucessful in opening your mini mart? If not what held you back? also does the above apply to the mini mart also seeing as its more packaged food? Any short cuts you can advise me on?

Smallie girl1
Ricer

Postby Smallie girl1 » July 23rd, 2019, 10:37 am

Miktay wrote:The best advice iz experience.

Have any experience you can advuse me on?

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » July 23rd, 2019, 11:01 am

Smallie girl1 wrote:

Not me personally.

A relative opened one off a room next to his house...just off the main road.

Things started slow but gradually built up by word of mouth.

However thiz iza competitive business. Most anyone can open a mini-mart these days.

So you gotz to ask yourself: self...why would people buy from MY mini mart vs the one down the road?

Inquiring minds...

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 23rd, 2019, 11:56 am

Is a busy traffic area?
You have place to park, or is side-d-road thing?

Just asking because I see some well known parlors have no parking and at certain times causes traffic.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » July 23rd, 2019, 1:06 pm

Smallie girl1 wrote:

While I was in sixth form, I use to go every evening to Maraj Bros, wholesalers in Curepe and load the car right up to the roof,fill the whole trunk and left front seat to bring goods for my father shop. Six in the morning i was in the bakery buying hops for the morning sales. Shop work is hard work, just make sure everybody who come ,get what they want. If you don't have it today, make sure next time it's available. They mustn't go by any other shop.

Smallie girl1
Ricer

Postby Smallie girl1 » July 23rd, 2019, 1:50 pm

Blaze d Chalice wrote:Is a busy traffic area?
You have place to park, or is side-d-road thing?

Just asking because I see some well known parlors have no parking and at certain times causes traffic.

Its a village. More foot traffic than car traffic.

Smallie girl1
Ricer

Postby Smallie girl1 » July 23rd, 2019, 1:51 pm

rspann wrote:
Smallie girl1 wrote:

While I was in sixth form, I use to go every evening to Maraj Bros, wholesalers in Curepe and load the car right up to the roof,fill the whole trunk and left front seat to bring goods for my father shop. Six in the morning i was in the bakery buying hops for the morning sales. Shop work is hard work, just make sure everybody who come ,get what they want. If you don't have it today, make sure next time it's available. They mustn't go by any other shop.

Thanks alot for that advice.

Mercenary
Riding on 18's

Postby Mercenary » July 23rd, 2019, 4:17 pm

op sell zmoss...it works well...

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » July 23rd, 2019, 6:13 pm

Here is my word.. may be useless but saying it anyways...

1) invest in a solar panel if you can afford it and run your lighting on it also use those fluorescent tubes (tell t&tec ah say hull they mc)
2) Place does be hot so you might need an air conditioner if its a small shop a 10k btu should be fine (ask 2nrs bout ac them is expert)
3) You need to design your shop in a way that puts you at an advantage when anyone wants to play mad. My advice is to keep some strong acid nearby and position yourself in an angle where they cant see you and throw it on them.
4) Those appliances (freezers, chillers etc) can remain on t&tec supply because solar panels cannot support that amount of current.
5) When those supply vans setting you up and thing dont be afraid to call the company e.g. Micon and blow them out but not too harshly
6) Keep your shop clean always

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”