TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby PariaMan » August 28th, 2019, 10:13 am

ok waiting

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 28th, 2019, 10:26 am

PariaMan wrote:ok waiting

Same.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 28th, 2019, 11:00 am

PariaMan wrote:So, what is so great about regenerative braking? Basically, it recaptures some of the kinetic energy in your car and puts it back into the battery so that you can drive further before you need to recharge the battery. Regen really isn’t about braking at all. One of the unique features of an electric motor is that it can be both a motor and a generator. When it is in generator mode, it actually slows the car down just as if you had shifted to lower gear in a conventional car.

If the motor slows the car firmly enough, it can make using the mechanical brakes virtually unnecessary. In some cars, like the I-PACE, you can take your foot off the throttle and let the car coast to a complete stop without touching the brake pedal.
You still don't get it

If you had nothing to slow down for you would go the furthest on a single charge than you would in any other scenario (all other things being equal). You having to slow down using regenerative braking converts energy that was previously converted from electrical to kinetic, back into electrical and as the conversion of energy always incurs some loses you cannot add mileage (range) to your maximum. (Your maximum being if you had no reason to slow in the first place).

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 28th, 2019, 3:57 pm

yea man i agree with you all those people in the states who use one pedal driving and actually see the range remaining go up have it wrong

No way the motor acting as a generator when slowing the car can re charge thr battery

you win man

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 28th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Just learn and understand science... It isn't that hard; I thought until this exchange today

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 28th, 2019, 7:03 pm

lol yes man a motor cannot act as a generator sometimes and recharge a battery lol

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » August 28th, 2019, 10:09 pm

PariaMan wrote:
Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
kamakazi wrote:
j.o.e wrote:
kamakazi wrote:@j.o.e
It is way different

So let's say you reach in POS, and for whatever reason you have to head down mayaro. Ten minutes in a gas station and I good for the journey and the return... And if not gas and keep going.

With an ev... You taking the first five minutes to calculate on Waze and your phone to see if you have energy to cover that distance. Even if there were charging stations you would then have to calculate or maybe have the vehicle calculate how long you should remain at said charging station.

Even if I running near to Empty.
10 minutes in a fuel station and I'm good.
Vs... Well we have no infrastructure to charge vehicles so that vehicle will be parked up charging for the next couple of hours.

Run out of fuel vs running out of charge... One trip to the gas station, buy a gallon of fuel and... Well I think you get the idea.

EVs just don't allow the convenience of topping up in a couple minutes. It restricts mobility.

Unless random runs from south to POS back to Mayaro is a norm then you’re just thinking of a situation that will cause you to run out. That’s a very unlikely route for most people and the idea is to weigh out $$$ savings over risk of running out of charge. It is very hard to cover 300km as a regular driver in one day on this island and if you do you should rethink where you live/work.
I’m not talking about a delivery vehicle or taxi just a regular family vehicle.

That actually happens...I do learn your country drives and that is pretty much how it goes.
The situation above did kinda happen (minus the bit from the bamboo to POS)

Started Sando, Classes in Chaguanas,
purchased headlights in the bamboo. Got an invite from my colleagues for a lime in Mayaro. Back Sando then down to Palo Seco.

Random runs, while they aren't the norm, do still happen. (Just put fuel when I needed)

Regenerative braking cannot add mileage to an EV, unless the entire journey is all down hill. (The law that states energy can neither be created or destroyed)

You’re clearly the exception and not the norm. Wait till EV range increases. You should be good by 2025. For everyone else current EV range is sufficient.
The current kona EV is 400 km of range for most people that is by far sufficient

Even in US the average the range is only 80 km per day

we are a much smaller country

And yes every time you brake you can add range do a lil research nah

The future is now if all present EVs were available in trinidad the ranges will be more than enough

The real question is cost

If the Kona was to come in below 250000 with its range of 400 km it would be a no brainer

I agree 400km is sufficient. My current vehicle when filled says I will get 498kms based on my driving habits and I use hilly terrain all the time and a/c. I cannot see the ev range being a downside.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 28th, 2019, 11:30 pm

PariaMan wrote:https://www.myev.com/research/buyers-sellers-advice/10-ways-to-boost-your-evs-range

I'm saying this for the last time

You cannot add miles to your maximum range by regenerative braking. The max range is that achieved in a situation where you do not ever have to apply the brakes. Conversion of energy from one form to another incurs losses. You simply cannot go further than the max by applying the brakes and accelerating again (and i'm not talking about estimates which the onboard computer might provide). I also qualified this statement by saying all other things being equal and unless you start on a hill (the all other things being most of what is mentioned in the above article which you linked e.g. driving style, weight, tyres etc.)

Let's say you have 30KWh and it is all used for driving (and nothing else; you don't have to slow down for anything), and you get 200kms. You simply cannot go any further if regenerative braking is used under the same conditions and maintaining the same average speed.

If you can add energy past the maximum available in the system, Congratulations you have just discovered perpetual motion.
(that doesn't exist btw)

red bwoy
Riding on 16's

Postby red bwoy » August 29th, 2019, 8:49 pm

2019 Mazda 3 ImageImage

red bwoy
Riding on 16's

Postby red bwoy » August 29th, 2019, 8:50 pm

Still seeing 16" rims not sure about the powertrain from Southern Shits but it was rumored to be a 1.5 skyactiv will get more info soon

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 29th, 2019, 8:56 pm

red bwoy wrote:2019 Mazda 3 ImageImage

Thanks

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 29th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Didn't the Mazda 2 come with the 1.5 skyactiv engine. I would hope they would also bring it in the 3.

16" rims are good; allows for more Tyre to absorb the impact of bad roads.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 30th, 2019, 2:41 pm

looks good

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » August 31st, 2019, 12:21 pm

Nice interior

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » September 1st, 2019, 11:55 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:https://trinidadexpress.com/business/local/massy-to-unveil-car/article_b0551f20-c9ce-11e9-956a-6bfa8fd2b9c5.html

That looking like a Toyota probox

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » September 1st, 2019, 3:37 pm

Posted in the other thread, you all be the judge as to whether the power and torque outputs of these vehicles make them relevant to the masses looking for a new vehicle or not. See below:

Here is a snapshot of small hatchbacks available locally and the output ratings...

Mazda 2
1.5L DOHC 16V SV-T in-line 4 cylinder
106hp @ 6000rpm
139Nm or 102.5ft-lbs of torque @ 4000rpm

Toyota Prius C Hybrid (Aqua)
1.5L DOHC 16V VVTi in-line 4 cylinder
99hp combined output with electric motor

Kia Rio
1.4L DOHC 16V DCVVT in-line 4 cylinder
99hp @ 6000rpm
133Nm or 98ft-lbs of torque @ 4000rpm

Chevrolet Spark
1.4L DOHC 16V ECOTEC DCVCP in-line 4 cylinder
98hp @ 6200rpm
128Nm or 94ft-lbs of torque @ 4400rpm

Honda Fit
1.3L DOHC 16V i-VTEC in-line 4 cylinder
98hp @ 6000rpm
119Nm or 88ft-lbs of torque @ 5000rpm

Suzuki Swift
1.2L DOHC 16V VVT in-line 4 cylinder
82hp @ 6000rpm
113Nm or 83ft-lbs of torque @ 4200rpm

Nissan March
1.2L DOHC 12V in-line 3 cylinder
76hp @ 6000rpm
104Nm or 77ft-lbs of torque @ 4400rpm

Hyundai Atos
1.1L SOHC 12V in-line 3 cylinder
68hp @ 5500rpm
99Nm or 73 ft-lbs of torque @ 4500rpm

Toyota Agya
1.0L DOHC 12V VVTi in-line 3 cylinder
64hp @ 6000rpm
90Nm or 66ft-lbs of torque @ 4000rpm

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » September 4th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Back to the EV talk..

I feel men getting tie up with the EV km range because we are used to thinking about fuel consumption and watching that needle drop every few kms on a daily... The 400km range is toco to cedros and back inno..

But I would love to hear a current EV user and their first hand experience with our conditions and advertised range

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 4th, 2019, 9:23 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Back to the EV talk..

I feel men getting tie up with the EV km range because we are used to thinking about fuel consumption and watching that needle drop every few kms on a daily... The 400km range is toco to cedros and back inno..

But I would love to hear a current EV user and their first hand experience with our conditions and advertised range
Tru me as well!

Saw an S tesla on the road in Santa Cruz

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 4th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Here is the Update with the taxes "EV taxes, we have confirmation of the following:- Over 159 kW there is VAT to be paid. Below 159kW, there is no VAT and no MVT. Between 159-179 kW, there is full VAT and MVT @ $10/kW due to Customs. Above 179kW, it’s pretty much the full hit

source
www.ttsmartenergy.com

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 5th, 2019, 6:35 am

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/05/16/sell-oil-buy-electric/
The office courier, Daniel Ramsepaul, who uses the EV for most of his trips, says the vehicle is comfortable, quick and quiet. He added that the charge of the car could take drivers about 240 km when fully charged.

“That is about from Port of Spain to Icacos, and back,” said Ramsepaul. “But on a daily use, as a driver and courier, I charge the car once a week. I travel from Port of Spain to places like Arima, Chaguanas, St Augustine, and back. It works really well, even in the traffic.”

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » September 5th, 2019, 7:16 am

They are charging way too much for the Ionic EV ... Let it stay on their hands at that price but there can be no denying EV's are the perfect commuter car.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 5th, 2019, 7:34 am

timothymcdavid wrote:They are charging way too much for the Ionic EV ... Let it stay on their hands at that price but there can be no denying EV's are the perfect commuter car.
Guardian today says starting price is 239000 with monthly 3111 in an ad

If you saving say 600 on gas and 400 on maintenance then really you paying 2111 compared to similar price ICE

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 5th, 2019, 8:00 am

PariaMan wrote:
timothymcdavid wrote:They are charging way too much for the Ionic EV ... Let it stay on their hands at that price but there can be no denying EV's are the perfect commuter car.

If you saving say 600 on gas and 400 on maintenance then really you paying 2111 compared to similar price ICE

Maybe compare to a cheaper but similarly equipped ICE vehicle like an Elantra?

cryotec
3NE 2NR for life

Postby cryotec » September 5th, 2019, 8:48 am

PariaMan wrote:

do you actually save on maintenance? i would imagine these firms trying a lil thing to make you pay for maintenance.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » September 5th, 2019, 9:13 am

Typically I have noticed when there is less to change there is a tendency for more to be checked so in many cases the answer is no.

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » September 5th, 2019, 10:19 am

Depreciation is a big issue with these EV's the concern would be buyers in the second hand market will be the battery which are expensive to replace. Also unlike a hybrid you have no options if your battery isnt holding charge.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 5th, 2019, 12:05 pm

timothymcdavid wrote:Depreciation is a big issue with these EV's the concern would be buyers in the second hand market will be the battery which are expensive to replace. Also unlike a hybrid you have no options if your battery isnt holding charge.
As i understand its 8 year warranty on battery

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » September 5th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Actually it is a 10yr warranty on the battery ... saw the advert in the paper ... now remember that warranty covers total failure or it degrading beyond a certain level ... with the amount of technological innovation taking place in the electronics and battery field in EV's generally will depreciate very heavily indeed.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”