TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

B14 Overheating

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

B14 Overheating

Postby Chris00007 » October 20th, 2019, 7:42 am

Okay so I recently did a lot of work on the b14 (fuel pump, plugs, injectors, filters, new battery etc.) and now I seeing a new problem. So on occassions, I does just see the heat gauge going up for no reason, I'm really not sure what could be causing this. But recently I realised it only happens when I have the steering turned like if I'm in traffic. Not sure how having the steering turned can cause overheating...?

Also, when I'm driving I hear a wobbling noise and it gets louder the faster I drive, and eventually it evens out when I reach a high speed and I don't hear it. Also when I'm turning like on a corner, the wobbling is a lot louder and worse than it normally is. What could be the cause of this wobbling noise when turning? I fed up spend money by mechanics who don't know what they doing so I wanna find this problem myself.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Re: B14 Overheating

Postby Soul Collector » October 20th, 2019, 9:03 am

Your radiator fans working? Your radiator in decent condition? When you in traffic you can start heating up pretty quickly even if one aint working and you running AC. As for the wobbling noise, maybe check your tyres and brakes...velocity joints maybe?

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » October 20th, 2019, 9:12 am

Soul Collector wrote:Your radiator fans working? Your radiator in decent condition? When you in traffic you can start heating up pretty quickly even if one aint working and you running AC. As for the wobbling noise, maybe check your tyres and brakes...velocity joints maybe?

Yea I checked radiator fans already, coolant always full (have to full about a 20oz bottle every month or so) not sure if coolant temp sensor does anything but the last time I did a scan (about two weeks) that came up, but I think it was because I was playing with that a bit to try to diagnose another problem, but I don't think it damaged.

And tyres in in fairly good condition, didn't do an alignment in a while but not sure if this can cause this wobbling. I also get a noise when I try locking the steering all the way to the right or left, maybe velocity joints?

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » October 20th, 2019, 10:27 am

Had a sort of similar problems some years ago with a primera. It turned out that even though the fans were working, they were not doing so optimally; were not spinning as much as they should have been. Eventually was only a good diagnostician was able to figure it out and after that was a simple fix.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 20th, 2019, 11:44 am

Chris00007 wrote:Okay so I recently did a lot of work on the b14 (fuel pump, plugs, injectors, filters, new battery etc.) and now I seeing a new problem. So on occassions, I does just see the heat gauge going up for no reason, I'm really not sure what could be causing this. But recently I realised it only happens when I have the steering turned like if I'm in traffic. Not sure how having the steering turned can cause overheating...?

If it's happening primarily in traffic and the fans working properly check the thermostat — it may be sticking.

Also, when I'm driving I hear a wobbling noise and it gets louder the faster I drive, and eventually it evens out when I reach a high speed and I don't hear it. Also when I'm turning like on a corner, the wobbling is a lot louder and worse than it normally is. What could be the cause of this wobbling noise when turning? I fed up spend money by mechanics who don't know what they doing so I wanna find this problem myself.

If it's pronounced on cornering check that the inner CV joints are properly greased first — won't help if they're badly worn though.

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » October 20th, 2019, 8:51 pm

that noise when turning could be cv joint although daz more of a clicking noise, any susprension place should be able to diagnose that honestly

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 3rd, 2020, 7:38 pm

Chris00007 wrote:
Soul Collector wrote:Your radiator fans working? Your radiator in decent condition? When you in traffic you can start heating up pretty quickly even if one aint working and you running AC. As for the wobbling noise, maybe check your tyres and brakes...velocity joints maybe?

Yea I checked radiator fans already, coolant always full (have to full about a 20oz bottle every month or so) not sure if coolant temp sensor does anything but the last time I did a scan (about two weeks) that came up, but I think it was because I was playing with that a bit to try to diagnose another problem, but I don't think it damaged.

And tyres in in fairly good condition, didn't do an alignment in a while but not sure if this can cause this wobbling. I also get a noise when I try locking the steering all the way to the right or left, maybe velocity joints?
Your cooling system has a leak. 20oz every month? You're either losing coolant thru a hose or worst case head gasket.

Evaporative loss is normal but maybe half liter every 2+ years

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”