Forums

***The Official: Rate/Recommend a Movie or Series Thread***

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: ***The Official: Rate/Recommend a Movie Thread***

Postby sMASH » October 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm

It good. If he don't get Oscar, the world is fake!
He acted his heart out fur this

brickman
18 pounds of Boost

Postby brickman » October 25th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Watched about 10-15 minutes of terminator dark fate and couldn't go further, how much $ did they pay James Cameron to do this sh!t?Really have no hope for the franchise anymore.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » October 25th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Terminator franchise should've ended after T2.

But Joker boi...captivating it was. Adding that to my collection for sure...9/10.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 25th, 2019, 6:52 pm

havent seen d newest Terminator yet but imo every 1 told a specific story & i liked them , or course d 1st & 2nd wud be most memorable & well liked ...

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 25th, 2019, 6:56 pm

tired of all d modern CGI fake stuff so these days i watching some rel oldies especially stuff from d 70s

last night i watched DUEL [1971] pretty good movie especially considering when it was made ....

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » October 30th, 2019, 3:03 pm

sMASH wrote:
Spitfir3 wrote:hyped to see that joker movie honestly, one thing i don't get is the massive beatup about it, mankind praising John Wick, Deadpool etc etc but Joker somehow have too much violence to the point people walking out the cinemas rofl
Could it be because it is too accurate to reality? Is like it draws back the curtains too well, that we can't face the truths in our society?
Like manning and the beautification wall along Beetham for CHOGUM. U don't want to face ur shame.

As the others are mindless violence, this seems to be mindful violence.

People didn't like Joker because it made them feel uncomfortable. People go out to have fun and escape whatever woes they have in their life, not to feel uncomfortable. Joker got too intimate with the villain and made no effort to make him likable. People that didn't like the movie or were disappointed in it were probably waiting on the "good" part to come only to realise that the movie ended before it did. They were probably looking for some big action scene or some sort of twist that would paint all of the movie that came before in a more humourous light. I mean, let's be honest, when you go to see a superhero movie you are really watching it for the end. You sit through the rest of it so that you can get context for the "big battle" or climax of the film.

Joker, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. Every part of the movie was relevant. They didn't try to make him relatable or likeable (like the loveable a$$hole that says things you really think but don't want to say). It was just the ugly story of one man's decent into madness. Why were people expecting it to be pretty? The story hit home with a lot of people in the movie because they could relate with his final message. But the message is captured as much by emotions as it is by words. That's why you had to sit through the movie and couldn't just watch the ending and feel like you missed nothing like most other superhero movies out there.

No spoiler. Even after all of that, they ended the movie with a poignant joke that had the most brilliant punch line (you know what I talking about) that the entire movie could then be seen as a setup for after the fact.

Check out these two random references on the anatomy of a joke to see what I mean. Think about the movie as a whole and you will see that it was one big dark joke.
Last edited by Slartibartfast on October 30th, 2019, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 30th, 2019, 3:09 pm

ppl who didn't get Joker probably never really followed the comics, and probably think Leto was the best iteration of him :|

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » October 30th, 2019, 3:13 pm

I never followed the comics. Also, apparently there were tons of references to old movies that went over my head because I'm too young to get them. But even with all of that, I still think it was great

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 30th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Heath or Phoenix?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 30th, 2019, 3:28 pm

that wasnt a comic book movie, yes, based on the most interesting comic character, but not the comic book movie.

i dont like marvel movies, becuase i dont watch to escape, i watch to get a good story, told well. those are mostly 'comic book person gonna fight, crack jokes, and defeat a thing,,,, buy a ticket and merch'

this is the only movie that i will give a 10, so far. the best movies like mad max and schindler's list, shaw shank got 9 but this will get the extra for being so applicable to what goin on the world, and individuals. like district 9, that showed how classism, and racism exists, and how it affects the individual.

a movie of his, 'You Were Never Really Here' is like another portrayal of how things affect some people. its even less a palatable movie than this one. but quite interesting.
in that one, he the character could have been like the brother or cousin of arthur fleck. where he copes with similar crap but somewhat differently.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » October 30th, 2019, 4:03 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Heath or Phoenix?

Joquerman Phoenix hands down BUT I have to concede that his joker would not been possible without Heath Ledger's revolutionary iteration. It's like asking R32 or R35? Still gotta give props where props due.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 30th, 2019, 5:40 pm

From that point of view^...I agree...Ledger set the bar real high with that performance...

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » November 11th, 2019, 10:55 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Heath or Phoenix?

Joquerman Phoenix hands down BUT I have to concede that his joker would not been possible without Heath Ledger's revolutionary iteration. It's like asking R32 or R35? Still gotta give props where props due.

Wurd and... wurd.

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » November 11th, 2019, 11:03 pm

Recommending "JoJo Rabbit." The melding of full on laughs with the seriousness of some of the consequences of the rise of the third reich was done to almost perfection. 8.5/10

Edit: "Parasite" is another must see. 8/10

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Postby Captain Awesome » November 12th, 2019, 4:37 am

Highly recommend American Son on Netflix. For me, best movie of the year.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » November 12th, 2019, 5:41 am

that movie has a 5.6 rating^^ my filter does not go below 7....awaits other reviews...

Schindler's List on the other hand is a must watch

mero
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby mero » November 12th, 2019, 7:24 am

shogun wrote:Recommending "JoJo Rabbit." The melding of full on laughs with the seriousness of some of the consequences of the rise of the third reich was done to almost perfection. 8.5/10

Edit: "Parasite" is another must see. 8/10
Boy you know I download Parasite last week and forget I have it yes.

Would take it today hopefully.

Hear it was a masterpiece

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Postby Captain Awesome » November 12th, 2019, 9:12 am

Schindler's List is definitely a must watch.

I also saw the relatively low ratings of American Son but I'm glad I didn't let that put me off of watching it. My theory is that because it is so heavily race related there's a clear divide in its perceived 'quality'.

I can't recommend it enough.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 12th, 2019, 11:10 am

MG Man wrote:ppl who didn't get Joker probably never really followed the comics, and probably think Leto was the best iteration of him :|

You mean they pulled character depth from that 5 minute cameo LOL.

Was expecting so much darkness from Leto, but he was just a clownthug.

Eh see this one yet tho

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 12th, 2019, 11:21 am

JOKER recently became available online with a decent copy so i watched it saturday

imo 7\10

it made a mint at d box office though almost 1bil against its 70m budget ....

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » November 12th, 2019, 11:28 am

Joker (10/10) but only if you can handle serious topics that most movies skip over or don`t address.

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (6.5/10) Kind of boring to watch

47 Meters Down: Uncaged (6.5/10) typical but fun...no logic during some parts.

Good Boys (2/10) meh...was hyped for this but sadly disappointing

.....due to the back to back crap movies, im taking a break from Hollywood movies.

Have some anime to catch up on and might stick to watching some foreign films.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 12th, 2019, 6:37 pm

i know this is a movie thread but since we talking about joker : anybody watches d BATWOMAN tv series ?

on d show batwoman is bruce waynes female cousin , her character on d show is openly gay , coincidentally d actress playing her is also openly gay , her twin sister is d villain

storyline of d show is batman [& obviously bruce wayne] suddenly is not seen again for 3 yrs going [no reason given] , his cousin intentionally takes over his stuff & becomes batwoman ....

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » November 12th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Rovin wrote:i know this is a movie thread but since we talking about joker : anybody watches d BATWOMAN tv series ?

on d show batwoman is bruce waynes female cousin , her character on d show is openly gay , coincidentally d actress playing her is also openly gay , her twin sister is d villain

storyline of d show is batman [& obviously bruce wayne] suddenly is not seen again for 3 yrs going [no reason given] , his cousin intentionally takes over his stuff & becomes batwoman ....

Im not a fan of CW...so i don`t watch their show...they seem to have no end (23 episodes and over 5 seasons etc) compared to 10/13 episodes per season from HBO/Netflix with a 1-5 season run.

The only "superhero" series I watching is "Watchmen(HBO)"....kind of like "Westworld meets Black Mirror" its based on the original movie/comic.

StefanH2
Street 2NR

Postby StefanH2 » November 12th, 2019, 9:52 pm

Batwoman and by extension CW shows are filled with too much SJW propaganda for my taste. The only two shows I actively watch are The flash and Arrow. Sure those shows have the same SJW crap in them, albeit a lot more subtle and tempered. I watched the pilot of Batwoman and it was cringey. I'll pass on that.
Rovin wrote:i know this is a movie thread but since we talking about joker : anybody watches d BATWOMAN tv series ?

StefanH2
Street 2NR

Postby StefanH2 » November 12th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Strangely enough I prefer DC material to be of a darker tone. Imho DCs universe always darker and grittier. Shazam was mediocre for me. Kinda like meh. It was too Marvelish. Aquaman was decent though and Wonder Woman had a nice balanced albeit clichéd storyline..
hydroep wrote:Took in Shazam! last night. Like Aquaman and Wonder Woman it had a simple moral storyline and was enjoyable - seems that's the direction DC is going (kinda like superhero films of the past which is a good thing IMO).

Generally family friendly except for the one or two li'l cusswords and well the CGI could've been better...7/10... 8-)

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » November 12th, 2019, 10:26 pm

i kinda skip through the episode. couldnt tolerate it. and the girl looking weird too. at least put a lil eye candy, the scissors community will only stay on for a short bit then go on elsewhere.
the girl looks like she fadda is et, she eyes wide and big.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » November 13th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:Highly recommend American Son on Netflix. For me, best movie of the year.

wow, now finish it. just, wow.

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Postby Captain Awesome » November 13th, 2019, 6:25 pm

sMASH wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Highly recommend American Son on Netflix. For me, best movie of the year.

wow, now finish it. just, wow.
Yesss. That was my exact response too lol.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 13th, 2019, 9:17 pm

so i just now watched it ^^^ curious to know what u guys were talking about

best movie of d yr ? lol no way that a hard title to give to any movie even d 1s that rake in a ton of $ at d box office & super popular with movie goers , it does stand out for being something different

without spoiling it for others : probably d only movie i know of with so few actors just 4 but thats enough to convey whats going on - d mother was rel emotional though , its very cleverly written , i guessing it cud be inspired by something that happened in d usa ... sad ending though

not gonna give it a numbered rating but its a good watch ...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » November 13th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Rovin wrote:so i just now watched it ^^^ curious to know what u guys were talking about

best movie of d yr ? lol no way that a hard title to give to any movie even d 1s that rake in a ton of $ at d box office & super popular with movie goers , it does stand out for being something different

without spoiling it for others : probably d only movie i know of with so few actors just 4 but thats enough to convey whats going on - d mother was rel emotional though , its very cleverly written , i guessing it cud be inspired by something that happened in d usa ... sad ending though

not gonna give it a numbered rating but its a good watch ...

i following amercian race relations since like 20 years now, not intentionally, but jsut as i consume a lot of news, i encountered a lot of it. the disparity between whites and blacks is very very large. we dont see it here in trinidad so, cause all of us black and we more or less get along with each other. dont mind they had a black president, the regular folk under a lot of up hill battles. is like the race walks in the 60's only quieted down, but still pervades.
black people get disproportionate incarceration, they are still charged more for variable priced stuff like houses. the police treat them automatically like gangsters.
the closest we have here is how we woudl not go into lavantille or beetham just so. bot the white people ahve a lot of guns and a lot more trigger happy than us, and intentionally stir up trouble

think about the fear of islamist terrorist attacks after 9/11 and put ak 47, ar 15, rocket launchers backing it up. thats what black people up against. we still get along here, but there, is like 50%,

the only reason why there isnt more hostilites is because they still very separated.

the movie, touched on practially all angles of all stories, from the black trying to be white, the white trying to look not racist, to the angry black vex for the loss of paternity, to the difference between different kind of coloreds, to the indifference of the whites to thier concerns, to the patronizing they get for trying to access services, even the paranoia they get thinking every one is out to get them, to the automatic targeting for silly tings, and then to see their paranoia is justified, that their fears did materialize

it touch a large number of the race relations facets in america, and did it very fluidly. not just like a school play that obviously put a problem that they had to work through, it was done well.

is like a joker. the movie wasnt good for what it had, but it was good for what it suggested. it represented a whole lot more than what was on screen.

think of american son as the very small tip, of a very large iceberg.
is a scene of if u was in it, u would understand.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”