Forums

Is the Toyota Aqua good?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Is the Toyota Aqua good?

Postby Chris00007 » November 17th, 2019, 4:10 pm

So I'm thinking of buying the Toyota Aqua and I'm not sure if it's good in the long run, what's your thoughts on it? What's the average maintenance per year and how durable is it?

Looking for reviews from Aqua owners please, I really don't want to have to take 5 years to pay for a car that I'll run into problems with in the short-run

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Is the Toyota Aqua good?

Postby maj. tom » November 17th, 2019, 4:35 pm

If that's what you can afford right now, then yes. If you have access to more money then no. There are better RORO hybrid cars available like Honda Vezel and Fit and Toyota Fielder.

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » November 17th, 2019, 5:27 pm

maj. tom wrote:If that's what you can afford right now, then yes. If you have access to more money then no. There are better RORO hybrid cars available like Honda Vezel and Fit and Toyota Fielder.

I was also considering the Toyota Fielder but it's a bit more than I had planned on spending. But what makes these cars better than the Aqua, other than the better looks?

Are these other cars more durable, or do they just have better performance?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » November 17th, 2019, 5:55 pm

The fielder , the Axio and the Aqua use the same electronic parts ie the Hybrid electronics and battery. The difference would be the size . They are good vehicles and really don't give any problems. There is also the regular gas engine Axio and Fielder. The Prius is more complicated and carry totally different parts. All the parts are available used in the local foreign used shops. The Vezel is also good but parts is the problem. You will get certain body parts in the US and some by ANSA but the mechanical parts are different to the HRV although they look like the same vehicle. The parts are extremely hard to come by. Nobody has parts for the fit except those parts that are shared by other models, which are very few. There are no body , lights or mechanical parts available except by order. Right now I have two Vezels and a Fit waiting on parts in my garage. One person is buying damaged Vezels and scrapping them because of the demand but the front of those are damaged so it's back to square one. On the other hand I have an Aqua, a fielder hybrid and an Axio hybrid that parts were available many places in the Bamboo. The cost of the aqua parts were very high initially, but they are coming down as they become older and more available.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 17th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Isn’t the aqua also called Prius-c ?
Thought was a smaller version of Prius

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » November 17th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Yeah, but it's electronics are different. Also the Prius battery is bigger (same cells but more) .the hybrid management system is also different.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » November 17th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Nice thing about the Toyotas is that you can walk in a dealership in to US and buy what you need. Also there are lots of salvage yards that have parts for them.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 17th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Prius-C in USA. Which is loaded with features in the basic model for the USA/EU market by law... the used Aqua basic L and S models are big for export in 3rd world budget for Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Trinidad, etc. and very limited in features and safety options. There is the G model which is fully loaded premium for JDM so if you can get a G model Aqua you good. GS means leather seats, but leather seats from Toyota at basic level isn't the premium that you're thinking like leather seats in a Lexus or Infiniti.
Aqua Urban X (JDM) is the best model and slightly larger than the regular Aqua and rivals the Prius-C Grade 3 in size and features. Prius C is now discontinued in the USA market btw.

It's all quite confusing eh? When you do some deep research you will learn about the grey market and how manufacturers can save a lot of money exporting certain features in cars to countries that require it by law vs. those that don't care about consumer protection. A car off the port here is not the same off the factory in USA, despite the same name.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » November 17th, 2019, 6:37 pm

They have Prius C in Japan and Singapore too? I saw some on the road here, and I just checked and saw some listed for sale on use car websites. Check Be Forward.

Ryan197912
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ryan197912 » November 17th, 2019, 6:47 pm

Prius C - is not sold in Japan its known as the Aqua
Prius C is sold in Singapore.
Aqua/Prius C is Toyota's second best selling hybrid vehicle...so yes it's good.. parts availability is getting better and cheaper

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 17th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Yeah and they are named Prius C in other markets like Singapore and Malaysia, but it's made for that market. It's like comparing a basic model 2016 RAV-4 sold from Toyota Trinidad vs. a basic model 2016 RAV-4 sold in USA/EU vs. a fully loaded used model for JDM. Same name and look, but different features when you dig deeper.

In USA there are some heavy laws in safety features: https://one.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import ... index.html
The basic cars made for other markets with no such laws can leave out many of that stuff listed on the website above. They usually don't conform to the standard VIN format used in USA/EU and would use some weird system used by the JDM using the model and chassis number combined like RU1-34****85 (RU1 is Honda Vezel), as well as listing other codes on the plate like factory and engine type.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 17th, 2019, 6:55 pm

You all remember when Neal&Massy used to sell the Nissan B11 here, which they used to assemble right here in TT? Well I don't remember but my father had one and he told me that's how he could afford a car in 1984. And you think they installed all the features required by law as the ones made and sold in USA?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 17th, 2019, 7:05 pm

my bro has d aqua almost a yr now , he wanted a economical car to move around with that is easy on gas & smaller so easier to find a parking place & pass on narrower roads especially with traffic & ppl parking all over on d roads . I drove & ride in it a couple times , its a nice lil car , real quiet , interior is nice & it works well . He used super for mths but a couple mths ago he went premium & claims better mileage

He is a lil shorter & smaller than me so he fits in good but i as a owner of a 141 fielder which i accustom with for d past 8yrs fit in aqua good but i find d interior a bit too small than what i accustom with , same bro also owns a 141 fielder too

sis & her husband has d 161 normal fielder , much roomier than d aqua but its like about 35-40k more , very good car [sat in a hybrid too , very nice & quiet too]

both good cars its up to ur budget & if u need a larger trunk & more roominess of d fielder ...

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » November 17th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Thanks for all the reviews guys, so I'm deciding between the Aqua or the AD Wagon because I'm getting both around the same price. Which one would y'all go with? In terms of durability and cost for maintenance

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 17th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Oh hell no on a Nissan AD. You mad or wuh?
Buy the Aqua. Try to get G model of you can. L is bare basic.
G > S > L models.

Here's a breakdown of the Toyota Aqua G model.
Do read it https://www.sbtjapan.com/kp-toyota-aqua ... e-for-sale

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » November 17th, 2019, 8:25 pm

rspann wrote:The fielder , the Axio and the Aqua use the same electronic parts ie the Hybrid electronics and battery. The difference would be the size . They are good vehicles and really don't give any problems. There is also the regular gas engine Axio and Fielder. The Prius is more complicated and carry totally different parts. All the parts are available used in the local foreign used shops. The Vezel is also good but parts is the problem. You will get certain body parts in the US and some by ANSA but the mechanical parts are different to the HRV although they look like the same vehicle. The parts are extremely hard to come by. Nobody has parts for the fit except those parts that are shared by other models, which are very few. There are no body , lights or mechanical parts available except by order. Right now I have two Vezels and a Fit waiting on parts in my garage. One person is buying damaged Vezels and scrapping them because of the demand but the front of those are damaged so it's back to square one. On the other hand I have an Aqua, a fielder hybrid and an Axio hybrid that parts were available many places in the Bamboo. The cost of the aqua parts were very high initially, but they are coming down as they become older and more available.

in addition to what Capt Brown Nose is saying here (which is good) do your due diligence on the quality of the battery used for the Hybrid Electronics side of it. As for cost, most will tell you "nah yuh good"...but more and more garages are seeing emerging Hybrid battery issues..(you taking a 5 year loan) ... agree a replacement hybrid car battery can range anywhere from $1,000 to more than $6,000US, depending on the year and model of car, and without including labor costs.

Most batteries are built to last the life of the cars...but... Trinis are inherently 'iron termites" and if it is to fail...here it will. The state of charge, temperature and longevity in each battery is like a box of chocolates.

We shall now wait for the tapping of keyboards as Bantons debunk what i've just said
*crunches on Ole Chia and Flaxseed.

Grudge
Sweet on this forum

Postby Grudge » November 17th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Anyone here has the new Swift hybrid?

khandman
3NE 2NR for life

Postby khandman » November 17th, 2019, 9:13 pm

rspann wrote:The fielder , the Axio and the Aqua use the same electronic parts ie the Hybrid electronics and battery. The difference would be the size . They are good vehicles and really don't give any problems. There is also the regular gas engine Axio and Fielder. The Prius is more complicated and carry totally different parts. All the parts are available used in the local foreign used shops. The Vezel is also good but parts is the problem. You will get certain body parts in the US and some by ANSA but the mechanical parts are different to the HRV although they look like the same vehicle. The parts are extremely hard to come by. Nobody has parts for the fit except those parts that are shared by other models, which are very few. There are no body , lights or mechanical parts available except by order. Right now I have two Vezels and a Fit waiting on parts in my garage. One person is buying damaged Vezels and scrapping them because of the demand but the front of those are damaged so it's back to square one. On the other hand I have an Aqua, a fielder hybrid and an Axio hybrid that parts were available many places in the Bamboo. The cost of the aqua parts were very high initially, but they are coming down as they become older and more available.

Really good information as I am also considering buying and aqua or a fit for my mother in law. I am usually biased towards Honda but thanks for that. What about maintenance? Any special and costly maintenance required for the general upkeep of the aqua as opposed to regular maintenance on a non hybrid Toyota?

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » November 17th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Chris00007 wrote:Thanks for all the reviews guys, so I'm deciding between the Aqua or the AD Wagon because I'm getting both around the same price. Which one would y'all go with? In terms of durability and cost for maintenance

The AD wagon is an incredibly uncomfortable vehicle to daily drive in, even worse for passengers. The aqua is much better.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 17th, 2019, 9:40 pm

In any machine shop you go to
Nissan vehicles account for 95% of suspension bushing work...

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 17th, 2019, 10:34 pm

pugboy wrote:In any machine shop you go to

I work on these everyday and can confirm this. Almost any other manufacturer suspension more durable than a Nissan.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » November 17th, 2019, 11:58 pm

pugboy wrote:In any machine shop you go to

nissan make good engine, thats about it.

Friend has an aqua.

I always hated the car because its bottom of the barrel price-wise so I assume its junk.
Then, its a hybrid...so its a dead ass horse.

Met an aqua revving up for me some time back indicating it wanted a drag. I laughed it off. Car rip out and gone leaving me with my jaw on the floor.

Maintaining my friend own.
Its quiet, like dead quiet, as if something is wrong. If im not mistaken, if the engine is at operating temps or something so it can start in electric mode. On mornings it will start in ICE and the go into electric. They have a noise they can make because its easy to make someone not know a vehicle is passing, you can turn off the noise though. I felt awkward in it.
She spends approx $100.00 in fuel for port of spain sando for a few days if not 5 days a week.
There are garages that can troubleshoot the batteries and again if im not mistaken individual cells go band and can be replaced. Not sure how they adjust the ECU for it or if its self adjusting for the amount of charge that goes to each. I can ask some of the techs.
Bear in mind, not all hybrid service techs are service techs eh. I seen crap being done called service. men putting 20w50 oil in it also. Be careful of the idiots in the aqua group on facebook also. Men seem to be pushing sales for men in there and fooling gullible people.
My friend and I are small so the vehicle is very spacious inside.
Since then my folks and aunt have purchased aqua's.
Get a spare tyre as they dont come with one.
From what a tech old me its the corolla engine in there and an electric engine. The car can use both if needed hence they being so quick.
My personal view - some of the newer ones wet as f**k. :P

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 18th, 2019, 6:22 am

About a year or two inshan real lambast hybrids
Wonder what he saying now?

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » November 18th, 2019, 6:30 am

Gt86 or none
pugboy wrote:About a year or two inshan real lambast hybrids

l33t2
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby l33t2 » November 18th, 2019, 6:37 am

Aqua isn't bad, I drove a brand new rental aqua and was surprised how good it was compared to a Yaris. This was in Tobago and the power of that car going up steep as hills in a car with 4 medium sized adults was so impressive! Electronic engines have amazing torque. Honestly felt better and more powerful than my old 2006 Accord.

That said, I hate how small cars feel on the highway, too shakey and vulnerable.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » November 18th, 2019, 6:45 am

Real good info. in here - if nothing else it seems like a good starter vehicle for those wanting to test the hybrid waters.

l33t2 wrote:Aqua isn't bad drove a brand new rental aqua and was surprised how good it was compared to a Yaris. That said, I hate how small cars feel on the highway, too shakey and vulnerable.

Highway is one thing, ever make a Maracas run in a K10 March in wet weather? Heart in hand business yes...:|

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » November 18th, 2019, 7:10 am

How good are the mechanics in tt at fixing hybrids?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » November 18th, 2019, 7:30 am

There is a controller on the battery pack that regulates the voltage on each cell through sensors on the cells. Each cell is replaceable and there are guys who sell cells for$300 -$500. The sensors wires and contacts can get corroded and make technicians tell you the battery is gone, go to a reputable tech. The ioniqs and niro use a common battery and some have the 12v starter battery inside the hybrid battery pack so you don't see a 12v battery in the car. They are harder to charge but it really isn't a problem. There are used batteries available from almost new cars that sell for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I got one from a car doing 26km for $500 USD.

As for mileage and maintenance, if you control your driving using the economy guage on the dash, you can get up to 1000km on a tank of gas.
The aqua uses the Yaris/Corolla engine with some minor changes ,so parts and maintenance isn't a problem. There is a coolant pump and reservoir for cooling the inverter that uses the same coolant as the engine but it's a separate system so it is important to check that to protect the inverter from overheating. The inverter is the unit at the front where the battery usually goes,and it is what supplies the power for moving the car. The a/c is electrical and not belt driven so when using a/c the gas engine comes on more often. All in all the aqua is a very reliable economical car .
Last edited by rspann on November 18th, 2019, 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » November 18th, 2019, 7:31 am

vaiostation wrote:How good are the mechanics in tt at fixing hybrids?

There are good ones and there are some that don't know their a ss from their elbow.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » November 18th, 2019, 7:33 am

pugboy wrote:About a year or two inshan real lambast hybrids

He change his story now . His whole yard full with Aquas. They good now because he selling them.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”