TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Honda Vezel Brake Binding Problem

Fit, Civic, Integra, CR-V, Accord, Legend - Do NOT post FS or WTB here!!!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Who
Riding on 13's

Honda Vezel Brake Binding Problem

Postby Who » September 5th, 2022, 8:06 pm

I have a Vezel with around 30,000km and today I discovered that the left front brakes are binding. I was getting a random vibration at the start of my last couple trips that would go away within a minute or two. Today I got out and checked all of the wheels and discovered that the left front wheel was hot and had a burnt brake smell. This is even more odd since the Hybrid brakes are usually cold because of the regenerative braking. I removed the calipers and the pins are moving freely so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about what might be causing the brakes to bind. The outer pad is more worn than the inner which seems like it should be a pin problem but they seemed perfect. Is the possible for the VSA system to malfunction and prevent brake fluid from leaving that single caliper?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: Honda Vezel Brake Binding Problem

Postby kamakazi » September 5th, 2022, 11:14 pm

Have you bled the brakes or checked how difficult it was too push the piston into the caliper.

Who
Riding on 13's

Postby Who » September 5th, 2022, 11:21 pm

I only tried to push the piston with the wheel spanner on the road and it didn't move but I will take it down again at home tomorrow to check it properly. Strange if the piston seized at such low mileage though. Thinking to slam brakes to activate ABS which might loosen a stuck solenoid valve but I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » September 6th, 2022, 6:14 am

It's a Honda Vezel which is Roro..I don't think you should discount the mileage actually being 30k km.

I don't think you should be slamming on the brakes given you have a brake binding issue...the end result may not be a good one.

If you have identified an issue then get a rebuild kit and sliding pins and rebuild both front calipers.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 6th, 2022, 10:13 am

Dave wrote:It's a Honda Vezel which is Roro..I don't think you should discount the mileage actually being 30k km.

I don't think you should be slamming on the brakes given you have a brake binding issue...the end result may not be a good one.

If you have identified an issue then get a rebuild kit and sliding pins and rebuild both front calipers.
Well said and fully endorsed

Who
Riding on 13's

Postby Who » September 6th, 2022, 9:07 pm

Dave wrote:It's a Honda Vezel which is Roro..I don't think you should discount the mileage actually being 30k km.

I brought it in myself at 11,000km at 9 months after the first registration date in Japan so I'm pretty sure the mileage is correct especially since everything was practically brand new when I got it. Planning to do the ABS test at low speed in the yard with probably some sand at only the left front wheel to trigger the pulsing. The caliper is sliding completely smooth on the pins so that is why I'm thinking it might be another problem. I didn't get a chance to take it down to check how hard it is to push the piston back in.

Who
Riding on 13's

Postby Who » September 7th, 2022, 6:50 pm

Update. The caliper piston was not moving so I took it off. I had to use compressed air to push the piston out. I was shocked at how bad it was after only 30k but I guess the car is 7 years old now and it's probably dying from lack of use. :lol: Now I just need to find the piston and seal kit to buy so suggestions would be appreciated.
PXL_20220907_214239114.jpg

PXL_20220907_211627632.jpg

PXL_20220907_224247315.jpg
Last edited by Who on September 8th, 2022, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » September 7th, 2022, 7:37 pm

I hate to say this but I have seen vehicles with 4x the mileage with better condition brakes.
That piston may need replacing if those marks compromise the diameter and will not aid sealing with the new ring.

Take my advice...run a report on the mileage of that vehicle to confirm what you know and to possibly give insight into what you need to prepare for in the event it comes back a surprise.

Who
Riding on 13's

Postby Who » September 7th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Yeah our old Cefiro was over 150k before I saw problems with the caliper and it wasn't even this bad. I'm definitely replacing the piston because that will just destroy any new seals. It wasn't leaking though but I guess the seal was on the good part of the piston. I found the original seals and piston for $40 US online but if I can get it down here it would be better. My guess is that the dust/water seal probably had a hole from installation in the factory and water was getting in. The ring in inside the caliper between the main seal and dust seal started to rust damaged the piston coating. What probably made it worst is that the car is usually sitting for multiple weeks without being used and since it's hybrid, the piston doesn't get as much use when it is actually on the road.
At this point it doesn't really matter if the mileage was rolled back but I still think it is unlikely since the manufacture date was Dec 2015, First Registration was Jan 2016 and I bought it September 2016 so I doubt they could have put any significant amount of miles in that time. Plus I had to repair the cooling fans a couple years ago and they were like new with no carbon dust in them and the brushes were not worn. A factory defect was causing the brushes to pinch in the slides so I had to sand down the brushes a little to fix it.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 8th, 2022, 1:07 am

The pictures don't show up anymore.

Didn't need compressed air to push the piston out... It was connected to a hydraulic system; remove pads, fill reservoir, and have someone press the brake pedal slowly until it comes out.

That is a tough one cause if it still has the original brake pads, and hybrids tend to use brake pads less than Combustion engine vehicles, there is very little warning to tell you that something is wrong.

Who
Riding on 13's

Postby Who » September 8th, 2022, 1:51 am

kamakazi wrote:The pictures don't show up anymore.

Didn't need compressed air to push the piston out... It was connected to a hydraulic system; remove pads, fill reservoir, and have someone press the brake pedal slowly until it comes out.

That is a tough one cause if it still has the original brake pads, and hybrids tend to use brake pads less than Combustion engine vehicles, there is very little warning to tell you that something is wrong.

Forgot I could do image attachments on Trinituner.
I was trying to avoid having to dump out a full caliper of fluid and hopefully make the bleeding process a little shorter so I just push the piston as far in as it could go to send back most of the fluid and disconnected and capped the line.
Yeah the only sign was the vibration that started after a traffic light on my normal route and went away after a minute of driving. These kinds of problems I expect over 100k that is why I was assuming it had to be some sort of electronic malfunction. We need IR thermomters sensors at each wheel but it was slackness to not do a proper inspection when I first got the vibration :lol:

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 8th, 2022, 7:01 am

About that, you do know that you possibly sent the contaminated fluid back into the abs module/reservoir by pressing it all the way in.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 11th, 2022, 10:47 pm

Caliper piston rust is a known issue with this car, several owners have the issue

Take front and replace the front pistons along with a new seal kit sooner rather than later. Do a fluid change too.
Might as well swap in fresh pads as you there.

Here are the OEM parts you need, I brought in everything from Honda USA parts vendors

Caliper Seal: 01463-TX4-A01

Rear Pad.: 43022-T2J-H00

Front pad.: 45022-T3V-A00

Caliper Piston Front: 45216-TY2-A01

Advertisement

Return to “HONDA”