TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Important things to know about the DC5 ITR

Fit, Civic, Integra, CR-V, Accord, Legend - Do NOT post FS or WTB here!!!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

speedlivez
Ricer

Important things to know about the DC5 ITR

Postby speedlivez » June 11th, 2013, 2:39 pm

Yea guys,

I have replaced about everything on my ITR so just wanna
give some advice of parts that would work and what would not work when purchasing parts and who are the good mechanics

1. Dc5 ITR Wheel bearings and Rsx are different have to buy genuine ITR genuine = $3000 for 1 (best price, streetwise performance) RSX hub and bearing wont work
2. Same as above goes for the rack ends both inner and outer, inner goes for $800 for one, outer goes for $600 for one (tuner imports)
3. No RSX suspension parts both back and front will work except the bushings
3. Same Synchros and Gearsets for the ITR and RSX the Synchrotech and Gearspeed will work CHECK THE SITES
4. When fixing the gearbox for the classic second gear problem and sometimes third gear. Do not just buy synchros buy the entire gear set which is the Gear, Sleeve and Synchros all are sold as sets. If you think your car just needs synchros you will end up in sheit, the reason the gear jumps out, and eventually not going in is the engagement teeth on the gear and sleeve being worn.
5. The second gear is on the countershaft in the gearbox, when doing gearbox work check Kezay or someone who Know about the box, a guy who never work on a k20 box is gonna F**K up that box
6. Do not replace with energy suspension, energy suspension bushings are good but not for a dc5.. these make the car unbearably stiff and bouncy
7. D2 Coilovers work pretty good make sure they are installed properly.
8. When changing the clutch make sure the knock sensor is not broken cuz it damm expensive and easy to break
9. Royal Purple gearbox oil for this box is sheit
10. The ES civic evaporator wont work,
11. The crv k20 compressor will work
12. Kezay is a good gearbox man
13. removing the exhaust resonator and cat, and fitting a vibrant barrel is the best cheap performance exhaust that sound crazy
14. A walbro 255 makes the car somehow feel faster it really feels better than the stock pump.
15. When doing a compression test do it right or else your car will read low comp.
16. The bigger the K&N the better no joke jed....yes, actually I fitted my car with a huge K&N I borrowed from someone and it make the car pull better
17 Whenever you find your car suddenly pulling like a monster for no reason check your oil it might be low.
18. If an engine mount buss especially the top one immediately get it replaced cuz u go destroy the axle in no time
19. Super gas works fine you just wont get top performance, did some research and actually our super is like premium in new zealand and many parts of the world. More research uncovered certain honda and acura senior mechanics using even lower octane in the united states in their Rsx's and Tsx's.
The whole premium thing is a conspiracy.. who knows maybe there is no difference.......

This is my experience so far.. please feel free to post your info as well

Vas

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Re: Important things to know about the DC5 ITR

Postby Gx7 » June 11th, 2013, 3:20 pm

speedlivez wrote:12. Kezay is a good gearbox man

who is this u speak of ?

halfdef
Sweet on this forum

Postby halfdef » June 11th, 2013, 7:42 pm

sti7 wrote:

who is this u speak of ?

You can't be serious :shock:

Reamos DC5
Sweet on this forum

Postby Reamos DC5 » June 11th, 2013, 9:26 pm

vague

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Postby Gx7 » June 12th, 2013, 12:31 am

halfdef wrote:
sti7 wrote:

who is this u speak of ?

You can't be serious :shock:

he is d short red ball head guy that flip d dc5 ?

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » June 12th, 2013, 9:49 am

^^... no that's not Kezay.

I never heard Kezay doing any kinda box.... Clerique is the g/box man.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » June 12th, 2013, 12:00 pm

"19. Super gas works fine you just wont get top performance, did some research and actually our super is like premium in new zealand and many parts of the world. More research uncovered certain honda and acura senior mechanics using even lower octane in the united states in their Rsx's and Tsx's. "

No Sah! You have to understand that different parts of the world measure octane using different means... I PROMISE you that our super spec is not above the regular spec in any other country...

If you can't afford Premium, you shouldnt have any sort of type-r

speedlivez
Ricer

Postby speedlivez » June 12th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Kezay repair my gearbox full rebuild and de man do a good job

red_dragon
Riding on 16's

Postby red_dragon » June 12th, 2013, 1:53 pm

X2 : Kezay only works on K-series business and does a good job from engine swaps to gearbox repairs.

Speedlivez : as far as the supa gas I would have to say stay away at least if u have a stock ECU or modded aftermarket.

If you have a Kpro put it in the dyno or pull the logs to ensure the engine is not knocking.

Because there are men with Stock B-series R engine that knockin like crazy with supa

Have fun

red_dragon
Riding on 16's

Postby red_dragon » June 12th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Speed :
17 Whenever you find your car suddenly pulling like a monster for no reason check your oil it might be low.

did this happen at Low RPM or when pullin off ?

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » June 12th, 2013, 8:55 pm

lol... just read about the super gas part.

premium vs regular is not a myth, you just need to better understand octane and how the engine and ecu work to compensate for low octane gas

Our super gasoline is nowhere near 'premium' in any part of the world. dc2r's have high compression and should not be run on anything less an our premium (which is the equivalent octane of REGULAR gas in the US). The only reason a K20 can run on our horribly low octane Super is because the knock sensor and ecu will back off the timing and modify the VTC to permit it to run on crap gas... this is not meant to encourage using crap gas... it's to protect you when you get a bad tank. K20 type R's should be run on our 'premium' as a minimum !

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » June 12th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Incorrect once again X2.. I agree with everything you said besides the comparisons of our super and premium to the US.

Assuming NP octane specs to be correct, our super is about equivalent to US regular
Our premium is somewhere between US mid and premium in terms of octane (but not additives)

That being said, any performance engine, especially forced induction and/or high compression motors really do need premium (or a whole lot of octane booster) in Trinidad...

Gx7
Riding on 16's

Postby Gx7 » June 12th, 2013, 10:58 pm

X2 wrote:^^... no that's not Kezay.

clerbox :lol:

red_dragon
Riding on 16's

Postby red_dragon » June 12th, 2013, 11:39 pm

as per Exxon
http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/GFM/fu ... s_faq.aspx

Other than price, what is the difference between regular, midgrade, and premium gasoline?
Gasolines are rated based on octane. In most areas of the country our regular gasoline is 87 octane, midgrade is 89 and premium is 91 – 93. If you check your owner’s manual, you’ll find the recommended level for your engine.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » June 13th, 2013, 1:03 am

but red_dragon, what most people in Trinidad fail to realise is that US uses the R+M/2 method of calculating octane and we use RON (I believe)..

Usually there is a 5 point difference between the two

enigma
Sweet on this forum

Postby enigma » June 13th, 2013, 2:40 am

Yall gon fight over this now?

speedlivez
Ricer

Postby speedlivez » June 13th, 2013, 10:46 am

enigma wrote:Yall gon fight over this now?

My point was for the stock ecu but with hondata I realize that you might not want to use super unless the tuner tune the car for it
Last edited by speedlivez on June 13th, 2013, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

speedlivez
Ricer

Postby speedlivez » June 13th, 2013, 10:48 am

red_dragon wrote:Speed :

did this happen at Low RPM or when pullin off ?

yea jed ah day my car pullin real hard and when i check the oil level it low, de same thing did happen with my dc2 as well dont know why though

speedlivez
Ricer

Postby speedlivez » June 13th, 2013, 10:53 am

X2 wrote:lol... just read about the super gas part.

premium vs regular is not a myth, you just need to better understand octane and how the engine and ecu work to compensate for low octane gas

Our super gasoline is nowhere near 'premium' in any part of the world. dc2r's have high compression and should not be run on anything less an our premium (which is the equivalent octane of REGULAR gas in the US). The only reason a K20 can run on our horribly low octane Super is because the knock sensor and ecu will back off the timing and modify the VTC to permit it to run on crap gas... this is not meant to encourage using crap gas... it's to protect you when you get a bad tank. K20 type R's should be run on our 'premium' as a minimum !

Is true the dc5 dis run on the super I dont push it hard though My clarification is that If you using the dc5 as an everyday as I do then you can use the super, but you cant wanna swing hi rpm's like a mad man

speedlivez
Ricer

Postby speedlivez » June 13th, 2013, 10:56 am

I hope we can reach an agreement with the gas thing, because my dc5 is driven everyday but I dont drive the car hard and it is stock.

speedlivez
Ricer

Postby speedlivez » June 13th, 2013, 11:16 am

sti7 wrote:
X2 wrote:^^... no that's not Kezay.

clerbox :lol:

Well he is not a Bseries man he only specializes in K series. I believe this is the main problem with the Dc5's which is the second gear, Kezay repaired my box good no problems, at first I tried someone who had no experience with it and he mess it up Kezay ended up fixing it

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » June 14th, 2013, 11:46 pm

CD4Accord wrote:Incorrect once again X2.. I agree with everything you said besides the comparisons of our super and premium to the US.

Assuming NP octane specs to be correct, our super is about equivalent to US regular
Our premium is somewhere between US mid and premium in terms of octane (but not additives)

That being said, any performance engine, especially forced induction and/or high compression motors really do need premium (or a whole lot of octane booster) in Trinidad...

What exactly do you think is incorrect ? Have you even checked EGT's when running premium ? I am not assuming mind you, I have direct comparison of US 92 PON premium to our 95RON premium and also versus super. I managed to do a real world back to back test in Trinidad years ago... and nothing in our refining process has changed since then. For any other claim to be valid you would need to get NP's MON ratings of our Super and Premium gas, which I believe to be below 80 octane... do the R+M average method and you can come to your own conclusion.

Further, if you don't believe it, I can also show you an ethanol % content test that will get you angry enough to want to bun down NP... no fight needed :lol:

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » June 15th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Any excuse to vex up with NP I will gladly get involved in! Send tru!

Seriously speaking, I have always wondered about NP's octane levels, especially since certain pretty normal engines like some of he Tiidas etc seem to "require" premium...

When I was in antigua they only sell one grade of gas and they don't tell you what it is, but EVERYTHING was running on that... From porsche to ITR's down to your average almera etc

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » June 16th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Yeah, but modern car's ecus can compensate but we got robbed of the total promised performance... a DC2 and DC5 R type supposed to run on 100RON and we have only 95RON.... but the cars manage.

What if you are running an older Porsche that doesn't have the knock sensor and ecu programming to handle crap gas... do they ping like mad ? My OEM GSR (B18C1) ecu can't even get rid of all my ping with premium before I reduce the ignition timing (manually)

If you're interested, I will show an ethanol content test of some fresh 95 ron local premium when I get a chance... we need to realize that we do get the short end of the stick with gas in TnT... the good stuff gets shipped out... let's not even start on the dirt in the gas... sheesh ! I starting to get myself angry...lol

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » June 16th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Despite all the complaints, I am SURE that if they were to guarantee quality of fuel and double the price of both grades (and diesel) people in T+T would bawl... People in the country have NO clue how expensive gas is elsewhere in the region..

Anyway, I understand what you mean.. Knock sensors are a beautiful thing..

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » June 17th, 2013, 1:21 am

Duuude... the price of premium here is almost US$3.40 a gallon. Given that the premium here is about equivalent octane-wise to US regular... the price of our premium gas is just about on par with the pricing in the USA.

Don't feel like the gov't is doing you any favours... unless you rocking diesel or super... both of which you getting the quality you are paying for.

anyways... another discussion on gas that has little to do with the original thread...lol

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » June 17th, 2013, 12:03 pm

X2, our premium is not equivalent to US regular...
US regular is 87 AKI, which is equivalent to 92 RON (our super) and our premium (supposedly 95) is equivalent to 90 AKI, which is somewhere between mid and premium in the US assuming it is honest, like I said I have to make that assumption until I see evidence otherwise.

I currently live in Jamaica and super, premium and diesel are all in the range of about $7.50 - $8.30 ttd a LITRE. You think our premium expensive?
Antigua, dominica, barbados and most other eastern Caribbean islands have gas even more expensive than Jamaica.... I know I am getting sidetracked but the topic did come up and people were trying to justify running an ITR on Trinidad's super

Back to the original topic,

How come these gearboxes have known issues? It isn't very hondalike to have such a weakness

Halfbreed07
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Halfbreed07 » May 6th, 2014, 7:49 pm

Anyone ever had issues with unipet premium in there b18c?
I'm running 12.5:1 cr and I'm getting sputtering at low rpms from 1 to 3, rough idleling and general lack of performance.
Was advised to try an octane booster.

red_dragon
Riding on 16's

Postby red_dragon » May 7th, 2014, 10:56 am

1. Octane booster is toots

Was the car tuned ? If not tune it ASAP

Halfbreed07
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Halfbreed07 » May 7th, 2014, 11:19 am

Car is tuned
As much as octane booster is toos, after I added it the car returned to normal, not sputtering, pulling better and exhaust note sounds cleaner.
I'll fill from NP next time and see how that goes.

Advertisement

Return to “HONDA”