TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

WTK: Transmission Flush vs Transmission Drain and Fill

Fit, Civic, Integra, CR-V, Accord, Legend - Do NOT post FS or WTB here!!!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

rb25
Street 2NR

WTK: Transmission Flush vs Transmission Drain and Fill

Postby rb25 » September 22nd, 2020, 4:52 pm

I have a 2017 Honda Civic it is approaching 40000km..it was purchased from the firm and uses HCF-2 CVT fluid..

Wanted to know if it is better to do a transmission flush and change all the old fluid or just drain and refill the transmission?

Any recommendations on who to go by? (preferably in the chaguanas area)

Anyone who has a the same car ever did something like this before?

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Re: WTK: Transmission Flush vs Transmission Drain and Fill

Postby SLVR1 » September 30th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Drain and fill. A flush done incorrectly can/will damage the CVT. If starved of fluid for a few secs. that CVT will have issues. A well maintained vehicle does not require a flush which is more a money making scheme done by dealerships and others. Some will debate this. It should be every 2yrs or 40,000kms based on which comes first. If you want, do a drain and fill, drive several hundred kms and then do another drain and fill. No biggy. If you feel comfortable, you can do this yourself if you look on youtube many vids show how to do it and your manual will have the fluid amts. required vs me going through the steps. Based on age I take it this was done before by the dealer?

rb25
Street 2NR

Postby rb25 » October 5th, 2020, 7:57 am

SLVR1 wrote:Drain and fill. A flush done incorrectly can/will damage the CVT. If starved of fluid for a few secs. that CVT will have issues. A well maintained vehicle does not require a flush which is more a money making scheme done by dealerships and others. Some will debate this. It should be every 2yrs or 40,000kms based on which comes first. If you want, do a drain and fill, drive several hundred kms and then do another drain and fill. No biggy. If you feel comfortable, you can do this yourself if you look on youtube many vids show how to do it and your manual will have the fluid amts. required vs me going through the steps. Based on age I take it this was done before by the dealer?
I changed the oil a week ago..i did the drain and fill method and repeated it after I ran the car a couple days..just like you mentioned in your comment..I wasn't comfortable with the power flush method becuase of the mixed reviews on the internet and locally..so I ultimately did it the old fashioned way..the car works great..
That was the first time I changed the fluid but I didn't go to the dealer..I went to a mechanic..he did a great job..very professional..

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » October 5th, 2020, 9:15 am

rb25 wrote:
SLVR1 wrote:Drain and fill. A flush done incorrectly can/will damage the CVT. If starved of fluid for a few secs. that CVT will have issues. A well maintained vehicle does not require a flush which is more a money making scheme done by dealerships and others. Some will debate this. It should be every 2yrs or 40,000kms based on which comes first. If you want, do a drain and fill, drive several hundred kms and then do another drain and fill. No biggy. If you feel comfortable, you can do this yourself if you look on youtube many vids show how to do it and your manual will have the fluid amts. required vs me going through the steps. Based on age I take it this was done before by the dealer?
I changed the oil a week ago..i did the drain and fill method and repeated it after I ran the car a couple days..just like you mentioned in your comment..I wasn't comfortable with the power flush method becuase of the mixed reviews on the internet and locally..so I ultimately did it the old fashioned way..the car works great..
That was the first time I changed the fluid but I didn't go to the dealer..I went to a mechanic..he did a great job..very professional..

Good to know. Once you have a good trustworthy mechanic you're good to go. With the drain and fill you will have about 85% fresh fluid to work with which will keep everything in top condition. With the Hondas you cannot go wrong once you follow their service guide.

Advertisement

Return to “HONDA”