TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Weird questions auto ac related

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
timelapse
punchin NOS
Posts: 4419
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Weird questions auto ac related

Postby timelapse » January 9th, 2022, 7:25 pm

Vehicle is a 2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Issue 1.
When the ac is OFF, the vehicle voltage drops from 14.8 or thereabouts to about 13.4 or thereabouts.I find that really weird

Issue 2.
I was told by an ac guy that the ac fan is malfunctioning and not coming on sometimes.He said that when the fan doesn't come on , there is a safety mechanism that dumps the ac gas to the outside.Sounds kinda weird to me also.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

User avatar
gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8901
Joined: May 15th, 2009, 4:40 pm
Location: trinidad

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby gastly369 » January 9th, 2022, 7:27 pm

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8239
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby *KRONIK* » January 9th, 2022, 7:50 pm

Yea
I recently experienced that gas dumping thing in our chevy captiva
The fans werent cycling as they should and the system built up pressure
The compressor has a valve which opens and dumps the gas to prevent system damage

I gassed it up and checked all the line valves and it works like new now.

Also, some GV are known to have electical fan issues
So you can start there as regards diagnosing

The voltage thing....
Our GV was doing that recently too
But it stopped on it own

Me eh know what to say again....

axe
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1046
Joined: May 2nd, 2007, 11:52 pm
Location: central
Contact:

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby axe » January 9th, 2022, 8:04 pm

Some cars have a charging sensor and charging voltage fluctuates as needed. It's on the battery pole in some cars. My wife has one on the positive pole...a toyota. Once it had a Crack and damaged 2 batteries before an electrician realized what was happening.

User avatar
Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS
Posts: 3906
Joined: July 1st, 2005, 11:11 am
Location: Second star to the right.

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby Strugglerzinc » January 9th, 2022, 9:00 pm

Most modern vehicles have:

Computer controlled voltage regulation where the ecu increases alternator output depending on load.
&
Pressure release on the ac to prevent damage due to over pressure which occurs if the fan doesn't work or other issues.

So both situations described are possible.

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8239
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby *KRONIK* » January 9th, 2022, 9:19 pm

I get so accsutomed with "old car" these things new to me yes

User avatar
nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 22502
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: The world is fl4t

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby nervewrecker » January 9th, 2022, 10:46 pm

Clean the pins on your alternator 3 pin connector.

Your welcome.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12211
Joined: September 22nd, 2009, 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby redmanjp » January 10th, 2022, 10:58 am

Have a old Y10 AD wagon. recently the only fan speed that is working is 4. 1 to 3 isn't working but i can hear the compressor come on. what could be the issue?

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 16609
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby Dave » January 10th, 2022, 11:31 am

Sounds blower motor related. Maybe the switch also.

Sundar
Riding on 17's
Posts: 1430
Joined: July 5th, 2012, 12:33 pm
Location: Rock Road
Contact:

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby Sundar » January 10th, 2022, 12:55 pm

I learnt something new, hereby rescind my previous post.
Last edited by Sundar on January 10th, 2022, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS
Posts: 3906
Joined: July 1st, 2005, 11:11 am
Location: Second star to the right.

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby Strugglerzinc » January 10th, 2022, 3:05 pm

redmanjp wrote:Have a old Y10 AD wagon. recently the only fan speed that is working is 4. 1 to 3 isn't working but i can hear the compressor come on. what could be the issue?


Blower resistor card

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12211
Joined: September 22nd, 2009, 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby redmanjp » January 10th, 2022, 3:37 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:
redmanjp wrote:Have a old Y10 AD wagon. recently the only fan speed that is working is 4. 1 to 3 isn't working but i can hear the compressor come on. what could be the issue?


Blower resistor card


by chance is that underneath the dashboard by the front passenger seat?

User avatar
Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS
Posts: 3906
Joined: July 1st, 2005, 11:11 am
Location: Second star to the right.

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby Strugglerzinc » January 10th, 2022, 7:02 pm

redmanjp wrote:
Strugglerzinc wrote:
redmanjp wrote:Have a old Y10 AD wagon. recently the only fan speed that is working is 4. 1 to 3 isn't working but i can hear the compressor come on. what could be the issue?


Blower resistor card


by chance is that underneath the dashboard by the front passenger seat?


Not 100% sure on a Y10 but yes should be.

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 16609
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby Dave » January 10th, 2022, 7:41 pm

Those older cars had resistor cards?

User avatar
skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5665
Joined: January 13th, 2008, 11:38 pm
Location: In a Skyline

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby skylinechild » January 11th, 2022, 4:02 pm

timelapse wrote:
Vehicle is a 2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Issue 1.
When the ac is OFF, the vehicle voltage drops from 14.8 or thereabouts to about 13.4 or thereabouts.I find that really weird

Issue 2.
I was told by an ac guy that the ac fan is malfunctioning and not coming on sometimes.He said that when the fan doesn't come on , there is a safety mechanism that dumps the ac gas to the outside.Sounds kinda weird to me also.

Can anybody shed some light on this?


Strugglerzinc wrote:Most modern vehicles have:

Computer controlled voltage regulation where the ecu increases alternator output depending on load.
&
Pressure release on the ac to prevent damage due to over pressure which occurs if the fan doesn't work or other issues.

So both situations described are possible.


correct on #1,
i you use a simple multi meter and load the engine - you will see the voltage rise according to the load and drop off when there is less load.

i unsure of #2 as it is not recommended to vent R134 refrigerant or even worse the old R12 refrigerant into the atmosphere. obvious reasons...

cars are soon going to start replacing the old R134gas for HFO-1234yf..

User avatar
skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5665
Joined: January 13th, 2008, 11:38 pm
Location: In a Skyline

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby skylinechild » January 11th, 2022, 4:16 pm

redmanjp wrote:Have a old Y10 AD wagon. recently the only fan speed that is working is 4. 1 to 3 isn't working but i can hear the compressor come on. what could be the issue?



Dave wrote:Those older cars had resistor cards?


yes silly rabbit .....tricks are for kids ....lol.

how else it supposed to vary the blower motor speed...i know in some cases ...rel rel ole cars the blower motor resistor is built into the speed selection switch itself..

one you hear the compressor kick on - that means the switch itself is fine .

this is the diagram for the blower motor assembly - the part code labelled -27077 is the blower motor resistor - the full part number is 2715060R00

it looks like a b14 /b15 serena one ....very very similar - dont be surprised if nissan used the same resistor card on other cars.

take it out -its easy to come out and go checking in the bamboo for it .

Image

good luck.

axe
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1046
Joined: May 2nd, 2007, 11:52 pm
Location: central
Contact:

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby axe » January 11th, 2022, 9:58 pm

I think he was being sarcastic....

User avatar
nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 22502
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: The world is fl4t

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby nervewrecker » January 12th, 2022, 12:53 am

skylinechild wrote:
timelapse wrote:
Vehicle is a 2014 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Issue 1.
When the ac is OFF, the vehicle voltage drops from 14.8 or thereabouts to about 13.4 or thereabouts.I find that really weird

Issue 2.
I was told by an ac guy that the ac fan is malfunctioning and not coming on sometimes.He said that when the fan doesn't come on , there is a safety mechanism that dumps the ac gas to the outside.Sounds kinda weird to me also.

Can anybody shed some light on this?


Strugglerzinc wrote:Most modern vehicles have:

Computer controlled voltage regulation where the ecu increases alternator output depending on load.
&
Pressure release on the ac to prevent damage due to over pressure which occurs if the fan doesn't work or other issues.

So both situations described are possible.


correct on #1,
i you use a simple multi meter and load the engine - you will see the voltage rise according to the load and drop off when there is less load.

i unsure of #2 as it is not recommended to vent R134 refrigerant or even worse the old R12 refrigerant into the atmosphere. obvious reasons...

cars are soon going to start replacing the old R134gas for HFO-1234yf..


Soon? A number of manufactures have already switched.

But just like R22 there is stock for all the vehicles still using R134A. I am very open to correction but hybrid vehicles use 1234yf as well as korean built rides.

And just for rushing me hold this and the ozone cycle.
Attachments
ozone cycle.jpg
refrigerant chart.jpg

User avatar
timelapse
punchin NOS
Posts: 4419
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: Weird questions auto ac related

Postby timelapse » January 14th, 2022, 7:07 pm

So we changed the bad ac fan today.In the biggest mindfvck, the voltage problem disappeared.Not complaining at all

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests