Forums

OFFICIAL ELECTRIC CARs in T&T board

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

MRC
Riding on 13's

OFFICIAL ELECTRIC CARs in T&T board

Postby MRC » October 10th, 2018, 3:25 pm

If you have questions about electric cars post them here.

If you own an Electric Car in Trinidad or Tobago, Post it Here!

If you see an Electric Car in Trinidad or Tobago, Post it here!

If you hate Electric Cars, say why here!

If you love Electric Cars saw why here!

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: OFFICIAL ELECTRIC CARs in T&T board

Postby kamakazi » October 30th, 2019, 5:13 pm

So...a bit late to the party.

I do not believe electric cars are the answer that people make them out to be.
Many people think they are but I'm going to put forward some thoughts/observations that will hopefully open your eyes.

The zero emissions story.
Used as a marketing tool. The reality is that they do require more carbon emissions in their production than ICE (internal combustion engines). What most won't tell you is that the carbon emissions have the potential to continue after production. It all depends on what is utilised to generate the electricity that goes into the vehicle. There are still coal powerplants in operation around the world as well as natural gas powerplants. Charging your vehicle with energy generated by fossil fuels will still have harmful emissions... It has simply moved from the vehicle to the powerplant.

Energy efficiency story. Most people believe that their electric cars are more energy efficient than there ICE counterparts. That is true but it ignores the entire picture; and if you take it into consideration it appears to be far less or at it's best on par or very close with ICE.
So locally we use natural gas for electricity generation. Combination gas turbines with exhaust heat recovery have a total thermal efficiency of about 60%. Transmission efficiency is about 80%. Charging the batteries in an electric vehicle has an efficiency of about 80%. The Conversion of energy from batteries to motive force (inclusive of Regen braking) is 80% efficient.
Total system efficiency is down to ~ 31% for electric vehicles. I will admit this calculation is a bit crude but it takes all things into consideration. This figure is even worse if it is a straight gas turbine system without heat recovery. Those have a thermal efficiency of about 30%; if this value is used instead the total system efficiency is now ~ 15%

Have more to write and will edit when I get the chance

MRC
Riding on 13's

Postby MRC » January 10th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Thak you for your post. the only one here since 2018 when i purchased my electric Car.

on the point of zero emission, i know the manufacture process creates esmissions however not all the electricity that poweres the car has to be generated by fossil fuel. As solar and wind farms can generate electricity. therefore this gives the opportunity for much less emissions. ICE cars do not present this opportunity AT ALL!

While the energy effenciency conversion is less that that od ICE cars, if we figure out how to use 100% renewable energy, will we cahre about the conversion effenciency?

Secondly

kamakazi wrote:So...a bit late to the party.

I do not believe electric cars are the answer that people make them out to be.
Many people think they are but I'm going to put forward some thoughts/observations that will hopefully open your eyes.

The zero emissions story.
Used as a marketing tool. The reality is that they do require more carbon emissions in their production than ICE (internal combustion engines). What most won't tell you is that the carbon emissions have the potential to continue after production. It all depends on what is utilised to generate the electricity that goes into the vehicle. There are still coal powerplants in operation around the world as well as natural gas powerplants. Charging your vehicle with energy generated by fossil fuels will still have harmful emissions... It has simply moved from the vehicle to the powerplant.

Energy efficiency story. Most people believe that their electric cars are more energy efficient than there ICE counterparts. That is true but it ignores the entire picture; and if you take it into consideration it appears to be far less or at it's best on par or very close with ICE.
So locally we use natural gas for electricity generation. Combination gas turbines with exhaust heat recovery have a total thermal efficiency of about 60%. Transmission efficiency is about 80%. Charging the batteries in an electric vehicle has an efficiency of about 80%. The Conversion of energy from batteries to motive force (inclusive of Regen braking) is 80% efficient.
Total system efficiency is down to ~ 31% for electric vehicles. I will admit this calculation is a bit crude but it takes all things into consideration. This figure is even worse if it is a straight gas turbine system without heat recovery. Those have a thermal efficiency of about 30%; if this value is used instead the total system efficiency is now ~ 15%

Have more to write and will edit when I get the chance

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » January 10th, 2020, 9:37 pm

https://youtu.be/N-yALPEpV4w

As much as I don't like nuclear... Can't turn a blind eye to the facts stated; and you need a holistic view on all factors when making a decision.

Hydro is out in Trinidad
Solar is only dependable when the sun is out. The panels are usually constructed with heavy metals and carcinogenic chemicals which aren't easily handled or disposed.
Wind needs land space and is also inconsistent.
Wave; depends on wind actually
All these are not energy dense.

My thinking is to not create more problems in coming up with solutions.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 10th, 2020, 11:22 pm

Strictly on quality I want a Tesla model 3

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 10th, 2020, 11:33 pm

I willing to do the tesla stretch

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » January 11th, 2020, 2:17 am

Check it out
Screenshot_20200110-233438_Chrome.jpeg

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » January 14th, 2020, 12:03 pm

kamakazi wrote:https://youtu.be/N-yALPEpV4w

As much as I don't like nuclear... Can't turn a blind eye to the facts stated; and you need a holistic view on all factors when making a decision.

Hydro is out in Trinidad
Solar is only dependable when the sun is out. The panels are usually constructed with heavy metals and carcinogenic chemicals which aren't easily handled or disposed.
Wind needs land space and is also inconsistent.
Wave; depends on wind actually
All these are not energy dense.

My thinking is to not create more problems in coming up with solutions.

the East coast faces the Atlantic Ocean, we could utilize this, however i feel only when a private company initiates this.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » January 15th, 2020, 10:07 am

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 4th, 2020, 3:33 pm

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » February 4th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Love how the tesla share reach 900us it was 190us in may 2019

It is obvious that evs are making traction

The UK plans to ban sales of all ice vehicles by 2035

I hope I will one get a chance to buy one from a local store

I will do the tesla stretch and pay extra than I would normally pay for a vehicle

Tesla make fantastic vehicles

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » February 5th, 2020, 4:32 am

https://www.euronews.com/2020/02/04/bri ... 5-n1129616

LONDON — Britain will ban the sale of new gas, diesel and hybrid vehicles from 2035, five years earlier than planned, in an attempt to reduce air pollution and fossil fuel emissions, the government announced on Tuesday.

Britain's step amounts to a victory for electric cars that if copied globally could hit the wealth of oil producers, as well as transform the car industry and one of the icons of 20th Century capitalism: the automobile itself.

The U.K. isn't alone in its efforts. More than a dozen countries around the world have announced plans to crack down on new sales of gas and diesel vehicles in the next decade or two. France plans to ban the sale of fossil fuel-powered cars by 2040 and Norway's Parliament has set a non-binding goal that by 2025 all cars should be zero emissions.

In addition to bringing forward to the date of the ban on new sales of gas and diesel vehicles, the government also included hybrid vehicles in the ban for the first time. It said that it would bring forward the date even closer if it is possible.

Last year, the U.K. pledged to cut its greenhouse gas emissions to net-zero by 2050, one of the most ambitious targets of any leading economy. The ban on sales of new gas and diesel vehicles fits into that goal.

"We know as a country, as a society, as a planet, as a species, we must now act," said Prime Minister Boris Johnson at a launch even for a U.N. Climate Change Conference planned for November in Glasgow, Scotland, known as COP26.

According to experts, the targets of countries to ban sales of new gas and diesel vehicles won't be effective without accompanying action.

"Those targets need to be complemented by whole range of measures at the national and regional level, such as informing consumers about the vehicles on offer or building of the necessary charging infrastructure," said Peter Mock, managing director of the International Council on Clean Transportation in Europe.

In Britain, diesel and gasoline models still account for most new vehicle registrations in Britain. However, registrations of electric vehicles rose 144 percent between 2018 and 2019, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders.

wildeapache1
Ricer

Postby wildeapache1 » September 3rd, 2020, 6:47 pm

Hello everyone. What local companies currently offer electric cars (not hybrid) for sale and what models are currently registered (on the road) in TnT?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 3rd, 2020, 7:10 pm

A pal if mine bought a nissan leaf from the P and V marketing works great so far
wildeapache1 wrote:Hello everyone. What local companies currently offer electric cars (not hybrid) for sale and what models are currently registered (on the road) in TnT?

wildeapache1
Ricer

Postby wildeapache1 » September 3rd, 2020, 7:33 pm

Thanks. I'm doing some research into electric vehicles in TnT so im greatful for the info.

wildeapache1
Ricer

Postby wildeapache1 » October 28th, 2020, 9:21 pm

Hey Paria Man, could ask your pal with the Nissan Leaf if he will be willing to answer a questionnaire for my research on electric vehicles please. The link for the survey is below:

https://forms.gle/sWhQfGSMceWW2uyy7

Also if anyone has a direct number for Mr Visham Babwah, the owner of P & V Marketing, I would be grateful for it. The staff there are only promising but not helping me.

wildeapache1
Ricer

Postby wildeapache1 » December 5th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Hi everyone. I'm doing a survey among car enthusiasts concerning electric vehicles for my MBA dissertation. I would appreciate if members could spare 5 minutes to complete it. Thanks for your support. The following link is for the questionnaire: https://forms.gle/dkm1mmP5WGUQHHMY9

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » March 12th, 2021, 9:45 am

Prepare for hybrid or electric vehicles – major vehicle manufacturers are shifting production to hybrid or fully electric vehicles and local players will eventually have to fall in line .

And Government’s policy for electric (e) mobility is projected be completed in the next three months .

The information came yesterday from Finance Ministry economic adviser Hayden Manzano and Kishan Kumarsingh, head of Multilateral Environmental Agreements Unit, in the Ministry of Planning..

Both were among officials interviewed by Parliament’s Public Accounts and Appropriation (PAAC) committee headed by Bridgid Annisette-George.

The PAAC questioned officials of Finance and Planning and the Environmental Management Agency of T&T (EMATT) on implementation of the 2021 Budget where the Green Economy is concerned.

On phasing out of fossil fuel use globally, Manzano said some companies say this could be as early as 2025.

On major vehicle manufacturers shifting production to hybrid or fully electronic vehicles and the view that local players will eventually have to fall in line , he said the ministry was looking at the situation from that standpoint.

Electric vehicle policy isn’t set up yet. But areas are being examined and once lift off is obtained Finance can move on to the next stage, he added. The matter will be handled by Finance, Planning and the Energy Ministries .

Kumarsingh indicated that said based on Green Economy and climate change demands, his ministry and University of Denmark are working on an electric (e) mobility policy expected ready by June.

Kumarsingh said the ministry’s also working on a “Just Transition” policy needed to deal with fallout from the “greening” of the economy.

The policy is geared so that workers – particularly in carbon intensive industries will be buffered and – won’t be unduly affected by retooling and reskilling that will be necessary in the new economy where some traditional jobs may be reduced .

Through the Labour Ministry, new jobs to be created will involve training for workers to retool skills needed in the “greening” of the economy.

Manzano said the Ministry of Finance , collaborating with Planning is holding discussions with stakeholders on moving from fossil fuels to solar energy especially in the agro-processing sector.

Discussions include using the levy under the Green Fund to make the proposal attractive for operators to make the kind of reduction they need to. Through that programme they’d access rebates in payments to the levy.

Work on systems to further track and deal with emissions – where a reduction goal of 15 per cent by 2030 is targeted – is being done by Planning.

Certain draft laws may be ready by end of May.

Managing director of EMATT Hayden Romano said EMATT’s project on collection of beverage containers, plastics and other items has been very successful.

Approximately 788 collection bins were placed around Trinidad . The project is now in Tobago.

The project was supposed to lead the recycling industry and that’s now in infancy stages .

EMATT hopes to get people to take responsibility for disposing of packaging of their items and to have a deposit refund system not only for beverage containers but also electronics.

Romano said EMA did well with beverage containers and glass containers but not as well with electronics and tires.

EMA started small scale work with electronics and entrepreneurs who requested used electronics.

Waste rules are expected by June for larger generators of waste. He said the private sector must be involved in the greening of the economy as they’re the economy’s drivers.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 5th, 2021, 7:28 pm

Anyone knows how electric vehicles cope with surges and brownouts.
Can our grid handle the additional load of electric vehicles.

agent86
Riding on 13's

Postby agent86 » February 14th, 2022, 12:18 pm

frequently asked questions about electric cars in Trinidad and Tobago - https://www.ttsmartenergy.com/single-po ... n-trinidad

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 15th, 2022, 7:26 am

So how long is that warranty.

justfred
Riding on 13's

Postby justfred » April 17th, 2022, 3:20 pm

kamakazi wrote:Can our grid handle the additional load of electric vehicles.

I don't think the grid will be a major issue (but it is Trinidad after all).
Charging and EV will be similar to running your air conditioning unit, electric water heater or electric stove.

The challenge that I see in some places is where several households in the same area have electric vehicles and everyone wants to charge at the same time they are running the heating and cooking on an electric stove.

In some countries they are now requiring load balancing equipment and/or smart home chargers to be installed.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » April 17th, 2022, 3:28 pm

justfred wrote:
kamakazi wrote:Can our grid handle the additional load of electric vehicles.

I don't think the grid will be a major issue (but it is Trinidad after all).
Charging and EV will be similar to running your air conditioning unit, electric water heater or electric stove.

The challenge that I see in some places is where several households in the same area have electric vehicles and everyone wants to charge at the same time they are running the heating and cooking on an electric stove.

In some countries they are now requiring load balancing equipment and/or smart home chargers to be installed.
I seem to disagree this is Trinidad where ppl have a vehicle for each person in the house hold so more than likely that will be a minimum of 3 vehicles charging overnight. We bringing in electric vehicles but we have no infrastructure for such.

justfred
Riding on 13's

Postby justfred » April 18th, 2022, 3:33 pm

hover11 wrote:I seem to disagree this is Trinidad where ppl have a vehicle for each person in the house hold so more than likely that will be a minimum of 3 vehicles charging overnight. We bringing in electric vehicles but we have no infrastructure for such.

If I take the scenario presented and say everyone in my housing development tried to charge 3 electric vehicles every night, with no load balancing equipment, which would be close to 300 vehicles then you are correct.

In fact there probably isn't a grid system in the world that could handle that.

I would say I don't think electric vehicles are suitable for every use case so I personally don't see everyone going electric.

I can't argue with this being Trinidad. We probably have another decade to put the infrastructure in place before electric vehicles are more than a few percent of vehicles sold but will we do it. History would suggest we won't.

justfred
Riding on 13's

Postby justfred » May 2nd, 2022, 9:35 am

As we are talking about lack of charging infrastructure has anyone used the DC charger at the NP Preysal station.

Was at that station today but couldn't figure out how to get it to accept payment and it eventually gave me a fault error.

TTbago
Riding on 13's

Postby TTbago » May 16th, 2022, 10:54 pm

Looking for the find the cost to bring a new electric vehicle. With the tax exemptions for VAT, MVT and Customs tax, what are the other cost?

justfred
Riding on 13's

Postby justfred » May 30th, 2022, 12:24 pm

TTbago wrote:Looking for the find the cost to bring a new electric vehicle. With the tax exemptions for VAT, MVT and Customs tax, what are the other cost?

Should just be the shipping cost and customs documentation.

You may need to hire a licensed broker for the documentation part or you could have a freight forwarder handle both the shipping and local documentation.

I would suggest speaking to a local shipping/customs company, if you haven't done so already.

Leokenn
Riding on 13's

Postby Leokenn » November 20th, 2022, 5:14 pm

So im seeing in Trinidad and Tobago a lot of vehicles being converted to cng. Is there anyone retrofitting, converting from conbustion engine to electric vehicle?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » November 22nd, 2022, 11:00 am

That will be too costly. Saw some YouTube on that cost is very high

Then to drive on our terrible roads the rest of the car will not hold up

Same issue with converting to CNG

By the time you get payback the vehicle suspension and other parts will be shot

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » November 22nd, 2022, 2:14 pm