Forums

Low Idle QG18 Help

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

JesuEric
Sweet on this forum

Low Idle QG18 Help

Postby JesuEric » April 19th, 2013, 11:10 am

So this occurs when the car is warm/hot my car idles really low like just above 500-600rpm. What cud cause this?????

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Re: Low Idle QG18 Help

Postby Sundar » April 19th, 2013, 12:47 pm

my QG16 does the same, i guess cause its a lean burn engine, and the air is so thin that happens

JesuEric
Sweet on this forum

Postby JesuEric » April 19th, 2013, 12:49 pm

do yours get a stutter when pulling off when idling low?

Cheddar
Street 2NR

Postby Cheddar » April 22nd, 2013, 4:54 pm

Most of the time you just have to clean your throttle body along with the air idle control valve. It's pretty simple to do yourself or you check your mechanic.

JesuEric
Sweet on this forum

Postby JesuEric » April 23rd, 2013, 9:22 am

can ur car shut down if it roles back in drive with this dirty trottle body? and what can I use to clean it? cuz I know how to dismantle my intake etc.

Cheddar
Street 2NR

Postby Cheddar » April 23rd, 2013, 1:31 pm

With my experience, when my throttle body and air idle control valve is dirty the car idles low about 500-600rpm and stutters and sometimes cuts off when the car is in drive. You can use CRC throttle body cleaner spraying lightly and wiping with a cloth to clean the butterfly flap while the car is off, but only spray into the intake with the car idling because you don't want to flood the throttle body before starting the car. If you need more advise just holla back because i do this all the time.

JesuEric
Sweet on this forum

Postby JesuEric » April 23rd, 2013, 2:32 pm

ohh thanks man that makes sense hw much that CRC trottle body cleaner is? and by chance if i wanted to switch to a k&n air intake can I use the same trottle body and what not or do I have to change more stuff? and is there a big difference between k&n and ractive?

Cheddar
Street 2NR

Postby Cheddar » April 23rd, 2013, 7:31 pm

The CRC throttle body cleaner is about $35-$40 in most parts stores if i remember properly. I personally use a k&n cone filter with an adapter just before the air flow sensor. If going that way you would have to look for the adapter. You can also go the way of a drop in filter so you can keep your original air box. There are a lot of post that have pros and cons of both filters on tuner you could go through them. As for performance differences K&N, HKS and Ractive are reputable brands so i would go with any one of them, whichever you prefer.

You could also check out some youtube vids, there are quite a few on how to clean your throttle body and Idle Air Control Valve for the average DIY. With the car off clean the throttle flap and idle air control valve and mount back the valve. A point to note also is that the engine would not idle when you remove the air intake hose from the throttle body, you need to un-jack the air flow sensor then start the engine putting it in limp mode. The engine would not have any power but it would idle so you can spray some cleaner unto the flap of the throttle body, don't spray too much just enough to clean the flap thoroughly and get some cleaner inside. When finished cut off vehicle reattach all hoses and jack in air flow sensor. The engine check light would come on when restarted but just cut off vehicle and restart again and the code should clear itself it usually does.

Hope this helps. Holla back if you need clarification with anything else.

JesuEric
Sweet on this forum

Postby JesuEric » April 24th, 2013, 8:52 am

I cleaned it out last night and my idle is back to normal thanks for the help:D but how much did ur cone filter and adapter cost? and I could take out my air box and use the same piping or would I need to change that too?

JesuEric
Sweet on this forum

Postby JesuEric » April 24th, 2013, 8:54 am

I cleaned it out last night and my idle is back to normal thanks for the help:D but how much did ur cone filter and adapter cost? and I could take out my air box and use the same piping or would I need to change that too?

Cheddar
Street 2NR

Postby Cheddar » April 26th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Good to hear your car idling better now. Just take out all the piping and air box before the air flow sensor and bolt up the adapter directly to the air flow sensor housing. As to the cost i can't remember i bought my setup about four years now.

vishal ramkissoon
Riding on 13's

Postby vishal ramkissoon » April 7th, 2021, 2:47 pm

clean iac valve

Rayden6
Sweet on this forum

Postby Rayden6 » February 14th, 2023, 9:08 am

Cleaned a TB with kerosene and it idles at 900rpm is this normal or should it be lower. What is the purpose od the spring loaded valve at the side of the TB? It was removed and cleaned

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”