Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » July 22nd, 2005, 7:46 pm

how much for the shell helix ultra???

cheese pie
punchin NOS

Postby cheese pie » July 22nd, 2005, 7:58 pm

Now, cheese pie, you referred to using Shell or Mobil in your "older" Accent. What grade did you use, and what was recommended by your manufacturer?

ah believe it was 10W 30 recomended but with an older engine and our hot climate , i used castrol GTX the 10 W 50 or was it 20 W 50

Terran
punchin NOS

Postby Terran » July 23rd, 2005, 2:30 pm

~˜VëgŲ˜~,

It usually retails for about $220 - $240 for a 4-litre bottle. I can get it for $145.

Terran
punchin NOS

Postby Terran » July 23rd, 2005, 2:35 pm

cheese pie wrote:
Now, cheese pie, you referred to using Shell or Mobil in your "older" Accent. What grade did you use, and what was recommended by your manufacturer?

ah believe it was 10W 30 recomended but with an older engine and our hot climate , i used castrol GTX the 10 W 50 or was it 20 W 50

Pretty much the same with my Tercel... they recommended 10W-30, which I still found was a bit too thin because at ambient temperature, the oil thickened to that of a 30-body. Smaller engines like these usually require a 50-body in our climate at ambient temperature. So, usually a good viscosity band to use would be 15W-50 or 20W-50. Turbocharged engines, however, usually require the use of a fully synthetic oil as they continue to provide maximum protection at the extreme temperatures of forced induction engines.

Terran
punchin NOS

Postby Terran » July 23rd, 2005, 2:36 pm

By the way, if anyone is interested, I can get the Shell Helix Ultra by the case - might work out a few $$$ cheaper for everyone.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 23rd, 2005, 7:05 pm

I used to run NP Ultra in my KE30 corolla and never had any trouble :D used to run it rel hard too.........no modern thingamabobs in the engine to fuss over the oil :D :D :D

I've heard mechanics say the use NP to break in new engines cuz if they used imported stuff, they work so well that the rings wou,d never bed properly :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

bleedingfreak
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby bleedingfreak » July 23rd, 2005, 9:07 pm

^^ hahah... i hear that one too!

nah I fried NP yes... they does lie too much!

Marketing marketing marketing! :x

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » July 23rd, 2005, 10:49 pm

Terran wrote:~˜VëgŲ˜~,

It usually retails for about $220 - $240 for a 4-litre bottle. I can get it for $145.

Dat eh too different from what I used to pay fuh Mobil and sytec, so it ain't no scene.........BUT!!!!!!!! if yuh getting fuh $145 put me down for dat......how we gonna arrange this scenes now????

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 25th, 2005, 10:10 am

anybody does import Miller Oils??? Miller makes the oil best suited to de HSR gearbox (getrag).......how difficult would it be to import the stuff myself???

http://www.millersoils.net/index2.html

Terran
punchin NOS

Postby Terran » July 25th, 2005, 8:00 pm

~˜VëgŲ˜~ wrote:
Terran wrote:~˜VëgŲ˜~,

Dat eh too different from what I used to pay fuh Mobil and sytec, so it ain't no scene.........BUT!!!!!!!! if yuh getting fuh $145 put me down for dat......how we gonna arrange this scenes now????

You tell me when yuh ready.... I go organize fuh yuh.

dragaholic
Riding on 18's

Postby dragaholic » July 26th, 2005, 11:07 am

Terran I put in the shell 20/50(conventional) in my car yesterday. Whats with the strange smell from the bottle.

fearfactor
Riding on 13's

Postby fearfactor » July 26th, 2005, 11:48 am

[quote="1NZ-FE Powered"]Never trusted NP oils after my old man did an enging job on a bluebird some years back. He used NP Ultra oil in the car - at that time it carried the "SH" rating which NP touted as the highest industry standard for engine oils]

My old man uses nuttin but NP 2

Terran
punchin NOS

Postby Terran » July 26th, 2005, 12:44 pm

dragaholic wrote:Terran I put in the shell 20/50(conventional) in my car yesterday. Whats with the strange smell from the bottle.

Boy, well me eh know what you find is strange. I know that within the last couple of years, Shell has procured their raw materials from other suppliers. Not that the formulation has changed, but in order to maintain quality and affordability, maybe the combination is kicking up an unusual scent.

Perhaps like NP, you can SMELL the difference technology makes! :lol:

dragaholic
Riding on 18's

Postby dragaholic » July 26th, 2005, 1:55 pm

I just found that it was strange to get a scent from the oil unlike other brands that I haved uses(quaker, castrol, mobil etc.)

Terran
punchin NOS

Postby Terran » July 26th, 2005, 4:23 pm

I'm sure that any oil carries a scent, perhaps the one you got is more "pronounced". To me, I've always got a smell from Shell oils, and they all smelt like... oil.

trini mk5
punchin NOS

Re: how would u rate NP engine oils....

Postby trini mk5 » April 6th, 2013, 8:16 am

MEGA :bump:
Whats the latest with NP oil? I trying to find some ranking on an international chart for NP oil but nada so far.
Me and my old man was having this debate/discussion about NP why he dont and wont trust NP oil and he is a mechanic. He swears by castrol and would choose any other foreign brands over NP because they have to be accountable to somebody as opposed to NP who is accountable to no one since it is state owned.
He also said that he have never seen oil burn in an engine until a car that was overheating was using NP oil. This was back in the 90's. He also said that the first and only time he spun a bearing in his engine was when he used NP oil, lol
My thinking is that if NP uses an API rating for their oils then the oil must be of a standard in order to have an API sticker on the bottle.Otherwise its salt. He believes NP can fabricate anything they want as they accustom doing to make themselves look good. Just like the gasoline quality some years back where people were complaining about it, and NP said, they see nothing wrong with it.

So has NP improved their standard? Anybody using their new line of oils? Because NP prices just as much as the foreign brands.

jattsrobby
Sweet on this forum

Postby jattsrobby » April 6th, 2013, 9:43 am

My 2cents worth, Used quaker for as far as i can remember, good oil good performance. Used NP in a bluebird, changed oil after 3 weeks, couldn't believe the amount of sludge in the engine even in the oil cover, not me again..........

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » April 6th, 2013, 1:38 pm

When I used to run NP Ultra Premium (20W-50), I never had any issues with sludge build-up. At the oil change interval of 5,000km, the oil was no blacker than when I used to run the Shell Helix Semi-Synthetic (15W-50).

I tried the NP Ultra Tec (5W-40) a few times, but I ran that oil to 10,000km before changing it (I also used and currently use Bosch long life oil filters with the full synthetic oils). Again, no issues whatsoever, and this was on a high mileage engine.

Right now I am running the Kendall GT1 full synthetic oil (5W-40), primarily because it is rated using the API system for both gasoline and diesel engines. Theoretically, this oil should have a higher detergent package than an oil that is rated only for gasoline engines (as the NP Ultra Premium and Ultra Tec are).

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 6th, 2013, 2:44 pm

jattsrobby wrote:My 2cents worth, Used quaker for as far as i can remember, good oil good performance. Used NP in a bluebird, changed oil after 3 weeks, couldn't believe the amount of sludge in the engine even in the oil cover, not me again..........

Quite possibly the NP detergents dislodged the sludge that was already present in the engine?

Sludge buildup is not going to happen over a period of 3 weeks unless you boil that oil.

jattsrobby
Sweet on this forum

Postby jattsrobby » April 6th, 2013, 9:58 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:
jattsrobby wrote:My 2cents worth, Used quaker for as far as i can remember, good oil good performance. Used NP in a bluebird, changed oil after 3 weeks, couldn't believe the amount of sludge in the engine even in the oil cover, not me again..........

Quite possibly the NP detergents dislodged the sludge that was already present in the engine?

Sludge buildup is not going to happen over a period of 3 weeks unless you boil that oil.

Actually someone did suggest this, however even after several oil changes( using NP ) there was still much sludge, go figure.

krisjoseph_2000
3NE 2NR for life

Postby krisjoseph_2000 » April 6th, 2013, 10:59 pm

I got advice from a well known diagnostic man who does scores of cars a day saying he had several engines that spun bearings recently and the only common thing was their use of np and castrol oil. The ones that did not break down - when he made dem change the oils from np/ castrol they immediately stopped knocking and worked fine. I used in in my b13 For 3 years with no problems so in my opinion it's which car you intend to use it in because it lasted 1 month in my v6 and then knock knock. Cars like Mazda with higher operating temperatures would make the oil loose it's viscosity quicker.

trini mk5
punchin NOS

Postby trini mk5 » April 6th, 2013, 11:27 pm

0X 0X 0X

krisjoseph_2000
3NE 2NR for life

Postby krisjoseph_2000 » April 6th, 2013, 11:30 pm

Actually it was some unexplained minor knocks when they were driving for over an hour and that was when the oil was losing it's viscosity not worn bearing knocks. It was setting off the knock sensor and making the ecu do all kinds of adjustments to the timing causing the cars to loose power.

evolution91
Sweet on this forum

Postby evolution91 » April 7th, 2013, 1:10 am

Shell is really good, i was a castrol magnatec user since they started sellin it , but decided to try shell sometime and realized the difference, its not much of a power difference but u'll see it when ur changin oil, castrol magnatec 20-50 afterr 3000 miles come out black used shell and after 3000 miles the oil still had its original colour

trini mk5
punchin NOS

Postby trini mk5 » April 7th, 2013, 10:50 am

but castrol prices so high right now for the normal 20w-50.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » April 8th, 2013, 9:21 am

Oil when removed retaining original colour may not be a good thing.
Oil is supposed to "hold" dirt suspended in it after it has cleaned the internal parts.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » April 8th, 2013, 9:46 am

Dave wrote:Oil when removed retaining original colour may not be a good thing.
Oil is supposed to "hold" dirt suspended in it after it has cleaned the internal parts.

correct
If your oil 'clean' after 5k, something wrong

Wolla
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Wolla » June 27th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Some good discussion going on here.

I used to use Shell in my MIVEC and it really worked great. No complaints. Once a high pressure hose line for my oil pressure gauge split on me while driving without warning, so I pulled up at a gas station and put NP oil in it just to get home without the chance of running out of oil and destroying the engine. After replacing the hose the next day, I drove with the NP oil in the engine for about another week just to make sure the hose and its fittings were not leaking. I then changed my oil (and filter) back to Shell and wow, it was an obvious difference. Engine ran quieter and smoother.

Anyone ever used Royal Purple? They market themselves as an oil for high performance engines, but I cant say I've ever used them.

Mr. Fixables
Trinituner Peong

Postby Mr. Fixables » June 28th, 2013, 8:30 am

I have used NP Ultra in some of my cars with no bad experiences. The regular NP I won;t try, but the Ultra seems fine.

Terran, what makes you think Shell Helix is the most advanced engine oil made? Hearing those ads huh? There are many good performing oils out there, it boils down to personal choice and experience.

Kirk

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » October 27th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Bumping an old thread....
Looking to change oil.in my diesel engine soon but the oils are getting so expensive.....I use castroll vecton...two gallons....
Was by an oil man today....retailer...and he said that oil is oil...no oil is really better than the other in terms of brands.......I saw the np oil...gallon...sell for almost half the cost of the castroll I currently use....if I go with np I'd be saving close to $200 per oil change.....4 oil chAnges for the year....amounts to $800 savings.....also that we lost all savings in diesel fuel...there really isn't any savings now that would be used to spend on maintenance.....

So does brand of oil really matter?....
I know the np would be cheaper as it would be local and the other brands there would be importation fees etc...that would make them expensive....but does the more expensive price mean that they are better than np????

I used np in cars along time ago with no issues.....so the thought of saving some cash on maintenance seems good as I never heard oil damaging a engine...

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”