TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
aaron17
punchin NOS
Posts: 3682
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 8:10 am

Need some advice.
My tank says its half. I went to put gas in the station. It take 16$ and clicking. I went to the mechanic to check the guage in the cluster. They say it good and refuel it back to see if any probs. I went and it only take 30$ with clicking to say its full. I forced to put the gas manually. The fuel indicator says it took more than 3/4. I went back by the mechanic and he check it and says its not venting properly when I fill up. He recommends to insert the nozzle not all the way in the car and see if its still clicking again. If it is..come back. When I reach back home in the garage I notice I am smelling gas fumes overtime. Not sure if that related. But I double check to see if the gas cap is closed properly. Next week I will fill it when it reaches half. Any help will be appreciated.

User avatar
Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12830
Joined: February 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: People's Republic of Bananas

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby Dizzy28 » April 30th, 2021, 8:12 am

Obeah!!

User avatar
teems1
punchin NOS
Posts: 2966
Joined: March 15th, 2007, 4:44 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby teems1 » April 30th, 2021, 8:13 am

Go to a different mechanic.

Is your garage closed? I would air it out thoroughly.

Put the car in neutral and push it onto the road.

You really do not want fumes to be building up in a closed area.

User avatar
aaron17
punchin NOS
Posts: 3682
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 8:17 am

Ok

User avatar
Supra GT-FOUR
3NE 2NR for life
Posts: 111
Joined: April 30th, 2004, 10:46 pm
Location: somewhere I belong

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby Supra GT-FOUR » April 30th, 2021, 8:29 am

Sensor in the tank seems to be faulty.

User avatar
teems1
punchin NOS
Posts: 2966
Joined: March 15th, 2007, 4:44 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby teems1 » April 30th, 2021, 8:34 am

The gas nozzle is independent of any sensors on the car.
Supra GT-FOUR wrote:Sensor in the tank seems to be faulty.

User avatar
gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8711
Joined: May 15th, 2009, 4:40 pm
Location: trinidad

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby gastly369 » April 30th, 2021, 8:37 am

Get the filler neck / tubing inspected...

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 3258
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby Gladiator » April 30th, 2021, 8:40 am

OP just pull out the nozzle a little from the tank. if its too deep it will trigger the pump to cut off... happened to me as well.

User avatar
aaron17
punchin NOS
Posts: 3682
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 8:47 am

Gladiator wrote:OP just pull out the nozzle a little from the tank. if its too deep it will trigger the pump to cut off... happened to me as well.
Ok will do that. But what I read online...ent it does supposed to be all the way in for the click procedure to work properly to ensure its full?

Kenjo
punchin NOS
Posts: 2987
Joined: March 19th, 2009, 10:31 pm
Location: Home

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby Kenjo » April 30th, 2021, 8:48 am

OP please don’t light a match and look inside your gas tank. But the gas station pump should be independent of your car if it’s clicking early

User avatar
aaron17
punchin NOS
Posts: 3682
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 8:50 am

Kenjo wrote:OP please don’t light a match and look inside your gas tank. But the gas station pump should be independent of your car if it’s clicking early
Lol ok cool

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 16368
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby Dave » April 30th, 2021, 8:52 am

Sometimes even when not fully inside the fill tube the pump clicks off with some pumps. When barely inside it may not but may also overfill and spill outside so always watch when filling.

User avatar
aaron17
punchin NOS
Posts: 3682
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 9:04 am

Dave wrote:Sometimes even when not fully inside the fill tube the pump clicks off with some pumps. When barely inside it may not but may also overfill and spill outside so always watch when filling.
Ok...cool.

User avatar
Cantmis
30 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2563
Joined: June 16th, 2010, 11:03 am
Location: 10° 10' N, 61° 40' W

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby Cantmis » April 30th, 2021, 9:10 am

Use other gas station

User avatar
aaron17
punchin NOS
Posts: 3682
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 9:29 am

Cantmis wrote:Use other gas station
Interesting ..cause i use a different pump this time.

User avatar
eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 13377
Joined: March 10th, 2006, 1:36 am
Location: Margamanning
Contact:

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby eliteauto » April 30th, 2021, 9:38 am

Sounds like a venting problem, air in the tank, you may have to hold the nozzle a little higher, might be venting slowly due to a trapped air pocket and venting internally after you drive off hence the smell. Monitor it over the week and see if it continues, I'd run that tank to empty before filling it again

User avatar
aaron17
punchin NOS
Posts: 3682
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 10:43 am

eliteauto wrote:Sounds like a venting problem, air in the tank, you may have to hold the nozzle a little higher, might be venting slowly due to a trapped air pocket and venting internally after you drive off hence the smell. Monitor it over the week and see if it continues, I'd run that tank to empty before filling it again
Cool

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2270
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:01 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby elec2020 » April 30th, 2021, 10:54 am

I would say to use a different station. Not all the nozzels working. One time i went unipet curepe. Used my credit card (for cash back bonus) and filled my tank. The nozzle never clicked when it filled and it was still guzzling out premium when i took it out from the car. I had to flip down the lever on the pump itself to stop it. So it mightnt be your car. It might be the station having faulty nozzles

User avatar
aaron17
punchin NOS
Posts: 3682
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 11:18 am

elec2020 wrote:I would say to use a different station. Not all the nozzels working. One time i went unipet curepe. Used my credit card (for cash back bonus) and filled my tank. The nozzle never clicked when it filled and it was still guzzling out premium when i took it out from the car. I had to flip down the lever on the pump itself to stop it. So it mightnt be your car. It might be the station having faulty nozzles
Oh

User avatar
ProtonPowder
Riding on 17's
Posts: 1442
Joined: April 2nd, 2018, 1:15 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby ProtonPowder » April 30th, 2021, 11:26 am

If it still happening with a different station and pump, change your gas cap, if it still happening after that, check your evap canister.

User avatar
aaron17
punchin NOS
Posts: 3682
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 12:04 pm

redakkmooz58 wrote:dis did happn 2 me ah time buy $80 and d pump was only clikkcin off n i get d asstitant to pump it. d gage read 3quatter full tank.
nexxt day d car buclkin like racehorse on d hiway n den it shut dong. ah friten bad eh taught it was goin 2 blow up. muh kanic say d tank empty. ah did pay for $80 air. use a next gyas station. forkinn teef n dem,
Running a car on no fuel has a risk of damaging the fuel pump and is expensive to replace.

User avatar
timothymcdavid
Trinituner Peong
Posts: 400
Joined: October 31st, 2003, 9:22 am

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby timothymcdavid » April 30th, 2021, 12:20 pm

I experience this at some stations what i have noticed it is when I set the fill up lever in place or have it pressed it all the way down ... what I do when going to this gas station is dont pull the fuel filler level all the way down maybe 3/4 it will still click when the fuel tank is full but wont do so erratically in my case.

User avatar
wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 13341
Joined: May 18th, 2004, 9:38 am
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.
Contact:

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby wagonrunner » April 30th, 2021, 1:44 pm

CS3 Lancer, if the nozzle is all the way in,, the pump will click immediately and stop.
I tend to hang it back about 2-3 ridges on the pump, and it will then full and click off properly.

been some time, but think it was the same with the jeep.

User avatar
aaron17
punchin NOS
Posts: 3682
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » April 30th, 2021, 5:53 pm

wagonrunner wrote:CS3 Lancer, if the nozzle is all the way in,, the pump will click immediately and stop.
I tend to hang it back about 2-3 ridges on the pump, and it will then full and click off properly.

been some time, but think it was the same with the jeep.
Noted

adnj
punchin NOS
Posts: 4845
Joined: February 24th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby adnj » April 30th, 2021, 9:37 pm

eliteauto wrote:Sounds like a venting problem, air in the tank, you may have to hold the nozzle a little higher, might be venting slowly due to a trapped air pocket and venting internally after you drive off hence the smell. Monitor it over the week and see if it continues, I'd run that tank to empty before filling it again
This.

User avatar
carluva
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1711
Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 2:03 pm
Location: Down in the homeland

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby carluva » May 1st, 2021, 7:28 am

This X2.

It may also help to fill slowly. The pump handle on the nozzle usually has three notches on them. When you pull the handle up to start the fill, you can usually drop the small clip to hold the handle in place without you having to hold it all the while. There are three notches which will lock the handle in three different positions each with a faster flow.

Try locking on the notch which corresponds to the slowest fill rate or simply hold the handle yourself to fill slower. A slower fill rate should match the slower vent rate and the air would vent more efficiently.
adnj wrote:
eliteauto wrote:Sounds like a venting problem, air in the tank, you may have to hold the nozzle a little higher, might be venting slowly due to a trapped air pocket and venting internally after you drive off hence the smell. Monitor it over the week and see if it continues, I'd run that tank to empty before filling it again
This.

kamakazi
30 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2591
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby kamakazi » May 2nd, 2021, 2:06 am

Some fuel filler necks have devices/restrictions to prevent siphoning, which can splash fuel back onto the base fuel filler nozzle when filling causing it to "click" like if it is full.
As others have said try filling slower and don't insert the nozzle all the way.
You can sometimes hear when your tank is approaching full.

Can't say if your gauge is faulty or not. Reset the trip counter if you ever get it full, and monitor your fuel consumption. You will get an idea of how much fuel is required to cover the mileage that was driven after a while

User avatar
aaron17
punchin NOS
Posts: 3682
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: Gas fillup clicking before full..need help

Postby aaron17 » May 6th, 2021, 10:18 am

carluva wrote:This X2.

It may also help to fill slowly. The pump handle on the nozzle usually has three notches on them. When you pull the handle up to start the fill, you can usually drop the small clip to hold the handle in place without you having to hold it all the while. There are three notches which will lock the handle in three different positions each with a faster flow.

Try locking on the notch which corresponds to the slowest fill rate or simply hold the handle yourself to fill slower. A slower fill rate should match the slower vent rate and the air would vent more efficiently.
adnj wrote:
eliteauto wrote:Sounds like a venting problem, air in the tank, you may have to hold the nozzle a little higher, might be venting slowly due to a trapped air pocket and venting internally after you drive off hence the smell. Monitor it over the week and see if it continues, I'd run that tank to empty before filling it again
This.
I never knew the 3 part fill speed. I will pump slow next time.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests