TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Alignment issue U14 Bluebird

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Alignment issue U14 Bluebird

Postby skylinechild » February 23rd, 2013, 2:34 pm

good day all i need some technical info.
long story short i'm having alignment issues. i took the car to align TWICE by the Ac delco place in Balmain couva and the car STILL pulls slightly left. the car is cutting tyres but ever so slightly.
took it back to them this morning and again they say everything is ok. rim and tyre were speed/ spin balanced and rotated - i put the cut tyres in the back and vice versa.

STILL having the issue. Steering rack was checked and ends and such are ok. no sort of noises or anything.

what else can be causing this and what i check???
help appreciated :?:

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Re: Alignment issue U14 Bluebird

Postby hong kong phooey » February 26th, 2013, 8:40 pm

might sound stupid but try another driving route, try the highway and see iif it pulls.
did they lock the steering/or is the steering straight when the wheels are straight.
when you say steering rack did you check the rest of components, like ball joints ?
are your tires in good condition? and correctly pressured?
what about your brakes is one tire getting hotter than the next. drive for a short distance and slow down with out mashing brakes feel athe rims and see if one brake is binding a little.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » February 27th, 2013, 6:22 am

hong kong phooey wrote:might sound stupid but try another driving route, try the highway and see iif it pulls.
did they lock the steering/or is the steering straight when the wheels are straight.
when you say steering rack did you check the rest of components, like ball joints ?
are your tires in good condition? and correctly pressured?
what about your brakes is one tire getting hotter than the next. drive for a short distance and slow down with out mashing brakes feel athe rims and see if one brake is binding a little.

there are no stupid suggestions my friend....

i did run the car on the highway and it pulls to the left-
1. my dad took the car to be aligned so i cant say the actual procedure.
2. steering rack and all other components are ok. car was bought recently and serviced by the previous mechanic before i bought it
3. tyres are literally new......pressure is ok...
4. brakes are ok....however i did notice that the front right disc pads are more worn than the left

car was bought pulling to the left- as the owner didn't have time to align it after his mechanic serviced it....
i will take the car to my mechanic to be checked.

any more suggestions will be appreciated.....

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » February 27th, 2013, 11:21 am

Check your Brakes first, might have sticking components

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » March 16th, 2013, 2:25 pm

UPDATE - since the initial issue the car started squeaking- 2 days now so i took the car to have it checked PROPERLY - and the issue is the right side lower cradle. the bushing is worn down- hence the squeaking...and the ball joint is bad. also the lower cross member engine mount is bad

seems there is a slight leak with one power steering line causing fluid to leak onto the cradle and then with the fluid--cradle bushing / rubber get worn down VERY quickly.... hence the squeaking.

my suspicion is when the car gets aligned they "straighten" it but since the right cradle is bad when driving the car pulls to the left..... will confirm when the cradle is replaced....will update after repairs is done

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » March 17th, 2013, 5:04 am

hoss fire your alignment person. Find a new place or next time ask him to do a check first. they normally check out your vehicle for free and tell you what needs repair before doing an alignment.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » March 17th, 2013, 12:36 pm

hong kong phooey wrote:hoss fire your alignment person. Find a new place or next time ask him to do a check first. they normally check out your vehicle for free and tell you what needs repair before doing an alignment.

alignment person was fired...he sayin the car have on REAR wheel drive rims....and my car being a front wheel drive car this was the problem.

i guess rear wheel drive rims can be bought at the same place that sells checkered paint, tape extenders, the solar powered flashlight, blinker fluid and the waterproof towel.

new alignment place checked everything for me...the guy gave me his name and contact info and EVEN went the extra mile - offered to replace the lower& upper cradle the engine mount AND align the car for $300 -SERVICE FTW

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 7th, 2013, 2:43 pm

UPDATE- changed the cradle on Saturday - along with the power steering hose- new clamps on hose as well - as well as a new power steering belt- old one was shredding out...

the power steering belt and hose was bought new from steal and massey, clips and p.s fluid by billy ( prestone fluid btw) car pulls to the left once more - to be expected as the cradle is not worn down- car will be aligned tomorrow...lets see how it goes.

Back2Studio
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Back2Studio » May 7th, 2013, 7:03 pm

8-) hope u get thru bro

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 8th, 2013, 9:29 pm

UPDATE
aligned the car today and it was perfect when i left...driving and letting go of the steering and it stays centered......got home and the old man drove it....pulls to the left again.....

what gives....any more suggestions....i'm open to them..

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 13th, 2013, 2:54 pm

still open to suggestions....goin back to the place and swap / rotate tires to see if it solves it........ more suggestions guys....

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 15th, 2013, 5:38 pm

UPDATE - took the care back to the alignment place -swapped tyres - left to right....same thing....

the thing is 3 of the tyres have the same amount of wear while the 4th have more "life" on it- this tyre is on the front right - was on the front left previously - i know tyres have rotation etc etc....

SAME thing.....thinking about buying two new tyres to see if that solves it --- but i want to be ABSOLUTELY sure it is the right course of action- cause i brokes.....

more suggestions needed guys

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 18th, 2013, 6:50 am

UPDATE
bought two new tyres yesterday (17-05-2013) bought same size -205-55-R15
bought nexen cause i wanted to see if it was still pulling- cause if it was -after i bought new tyres i didnt want to buy expensive ones to sacrifice.....

so installed Nexens.....and it still pulls....slightly.....STILL having the issue....what else can i try...???
can the shock and shock mount cause this pull on the left....????

more suggestions needed guys !!!!

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 19th, 2013, 3:32 pm

UPDATE...I'm thinking its more of a caster problem than camber.....going to an alignment place that specializes in caster adjustments.....will update soon.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 4th, 2013, 9:26 am

UPDATE- dont ask when it was done...

so took the car to another alignment place... the cross member rubbers are gone....
when i initially replaced the right cradle the mechanic said that the lower support beam
( i call it front apron) that the radiator fits into is rotten..this is also where the cross member bolts onto...those bolts are spinning..they cant be tightened. so that entire piece has to be replaced.

i consulted my straightener and he said i have two options

1.he can remake that piece for me...involves scrapping out the front of the car...grinding out the rotten areas and attaching new pieces of metal.

2. replace the entire piece - which is a better work than option #1

only way i can get that entire piece is to buy a nose cut. the mechanic also said that this could also be the reason why the car pulls to the left- slightly.....the engine has a slight lean to the left because there is no support on the left side- due to the cross member not bolting on properly....which causes the car to pull slightly on the left....

ive done everything imaginable to fix the slight pull.....so i'm thinking this definitely has to be it.

therefore...i purchased new cross member rubbers....bought from neal and massey...paid like $40 for the front and $70 for the rear... bought 4 new ones...also ordered new radiator hoses...the ones i'm using needs to be changed....

I'm also purchasing a nose cut...the SSS model- comes complete with sport headlights & bumper...plus with that i get back the original nissan fans (i'm using a brand called cal sonic- they fit bolt for bolt and wire up exactly as the original - they work find but i prefer the original) and a 3 core metal radiator- an upgrade from the 2 core i currently have.

the electrical work...rewiring for the new headlights indicators and fog lights - will be done as well.

will update when nose cut is bought and work is ready to begin.

for those interested on buying the rubbers hers a link to one of the rubbers online - just a simple google of the part numbers gave the link- and its on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Febest-Nissan-Eng ... B00C6MYF4C
Last edited by skylinechild on March 6th, 2014, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » June 6th, 2013, 3:53 pm

its all linked man, u have had a first hand experience of how far an alignment issue can reach

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » June 6th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Sundar wrote:its all linked man, u have had a first hand experience of how far an alignment issue can reach

yes..i do.. but after its all said and done lets hope this FIXES the issue. the write up is so that hopefully i DO help out someone...in the future.

UPDATE: 06/06/13
collected the radiator hose and cross member rubber mounts today. total - $600
need to buy a gallon of radiator coolant and time to buy the nose cut.

Last edited by skylinechild on March 6th, 2014, 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 7th, 2013, 7:00 am

UPDATE 06-07-2013
changed out the studs and wheel nuts....the studs were VERY VERY worn and the wheel nuts were barely holding - only like 3-4 threads at MOST....VERY DANGEROUS :shock:
spent like $860 and got longer studs and newer bolts....studs soo long that i had to cut them...:lol:
the whole nut fits comfortably now- the wheel is not longer being held on by 3-4 threads..the flapping noise on the LEFT side stopped...i also swapped out the upper right side cradle as well...squeaky noise stopped.... :)

car pulls VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY slightly to the left now....even less than before....almost there... :) :)
crankshaft oil seal needs to change...will swap that out this weekend...hopefully :idea:

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » July 7th, 2013, 7:32 am

i have a complete U14 harness with ECU if u want as spare.

any update on the 12?

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » July 7th, 2013, 11:01 am

check your steering rack.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 7th, 2013, 11:29 am

sound boy 64 wrote:check your steering rack.

u know how much times i checked that..any more checking and i'll be an accountant.... :lol:

i goin to redo the whole front and rear suspension very soon...still deciding on weather i should use monroe shocks ( yea i dont deal with KYB) with OEM spring or upgrade to BILSTEIN sport shock
(yellow ones) with TEIN springs...decisions decisions decisions...

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » July 7th, 2013, 11:58 am

yellow with tein gets my vote

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 7th, 2013, 5:05 pm

sound boy 64 wrote:yellow with tein gets my vote

they both have their pros an cons....

monroe shock with OEM spring-
pro: it cheaper and stock height with good dampening will last longer with our roads
con. cant hold up with "spirited driving ex. dex

yellow BILSTEIN and TEIN spring-
pro superior handling and dampening
con: cost ride height is lower- have to turn steering 89 times to go over a hump. strut life will be decreased due to the poor quality of road

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 29th, 2013, 8:21 pm

UPDATE 28-07-13
the crankshaft oil seal was changed ( dont ask me when- i forgot :oops: )....leak stopped :) :)
time to under wash to see if anywhere else is leaking.

Also new fuel filter was purchased....vehicle is ready to be professionally serviced.
going to have the injectors, throttle body, intake system, and MAF sensor properly cleaned and calibrated..... will update when done.

also the blower motor stopped working on #1 speed...works on #2,3,&4. blower motor resistor needs to be replaced. ordered that today. should collect it by friday.

still havent bought the nose cut as yet....funds low... :oops: vehicle is not pulling as much as it was...very very very very very very very slight....so its safe to drive...

will update soon.! :mrgreen:

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » July 29th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Sr20de?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 29th, 2013, 9:52 pm

^^ if i have a SR20DE or am i installing an SR20DE???
EDITED :D
the answer is neither...:lol: my car is actually QG18DE...runs really well...not going to swap out for an SR. the QG has enough power for me.

My thing is I want to upgrade the car but keep it as close to (an SSS) original as i can.

engine- cold air intake, extractors and a full catback system, iridium plugs, fram air filter ..or possibly a K&N...(already using a fram oil filter- loving it) three core metal radiator (from the SSS) should gain about 15-25 HP or so.

brakes / suspension- P11 M6 rotor and caliper, Rear wheel disc brake assembly, strut bars front upper and lower- rear upper as well...rear lower if i can find it. energy suspension bushings all around...hawk HPS disc pads...upgrade brake booster if necessary and DOT 4 fluid with steel braided lines...
havent decided if to drop or stick with normal height...bilstein with TEIN or monroe with OEM spring

Visual- original metallic paint, sport headlights and sport bumper with fogs llumar security film
(window tint) enkei EV5 bronze rims power coat the calipers and engine cover and extractors..

ICE- will have to discuss with my tech/ supplier.

forgive me if i missed out anything else....i hav a list but i not going to look for it ATM :oops:
Last edited by skylinechild on July 29th, 2013, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » July 29th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Nice plan.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » July 29th, 2013, 10:03 pm

sound boy 64 wrote:Nice plan.

I was at one time contemplating (and contem-spooning an contem-forking :lol:) the upgrade to SR... but why..whats the reason..whats wrong with my current engine...??
so i decided to have it look original with a few minor upgrades to get the peppy feel of an SR....

oh yea i edited my previous post....forgot some stuff :oops:

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » August 1st, 2013, 2:11 pm

UPDATE 1-08-2013

appointment made by Ryan Ramdeen (Ryotech Performance) for the 03rd of August to have the vehicle professionally serviced
servicing will include:

1. injectors & fuel system cleaning & recalibration
2.throttle body cleaning- removing carbon building up from throttle body and valves etc.
3.MAF sensor cleaning and recalibration
4. Replacing fuel filter

Will update when service is done.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » August 1st, 2013, 3:54 pm

Last edited by Ted_v2 on August 4th, 2013, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”