TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

WTK Best oil for Y12 Wingroad

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

WTK Best oil for Y12 Wingroad

Postby Chris00007 » December 28th, 2020, 3:52 pm

I have a 2007 Y12 Wingroad with 170k km on it. I believe it's the original engine and transmission etc. It doesnt burn oil or have any oil leaks.

What's the best oil to use in it? I'm accustomed to using Shell Helix HX7 10w40 (semi-synthetic) but I thinking of using Valvoline Fully Synthetic 10w-30

What's the best body oil to use in a Y12?

plan4cars9986
Riding on 13's

Re: WTK Best oil for Y12 Wingroad

Postby plan4cars9986 » December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 28th, 2020, 6:00 pm

the viscosity of the oil is resistance to movement. so always use the thinnest oil u can use that doesnt cause too much blow by, too much wear, and too much heat. the only time u want to increase the body of an oil, is if ur rings dont seal as good. not bad enough to do a ring job, but not good enough that its unnoticed. that way, the viscosity of the extra body assists the rings.
if u run a car hard with higher body oil, u can potentially wear down ur rings prematurely.

i running 10w30 in a hr16, so stick to that. the only time i will step up the body is if i getting extra back pressure or burning more oil than normal. usually, the only time i have to top up oil is around the time to change any ways. that good enough for me.

mind u, the ga15 and the sr20 never had to top up. both of those were 20w50, and up to the last i try a 15w30 in the sr and i find it was nicer. never got to use it enough to get a good observation of the performance.

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » December 28th, 2020, 6:37 pm

sMASH wrote:the viscosity of the oil is resistance to movement. so always use the thinnest oil u can use that doesnt cause too much blow by, too much wear, and too much heat. the only time u want to increase the body of an oil, is if ur rings dont seal as good. not bad enough to do a ring job, but not good enough that its unnoticed. that way, the viscosity of the extra body assists the rings.
if u run a car hard with higher body oil, u can potentially wear down ur rings prematurely.

i running 10w30 in a hr16, so stick to that. the only time i will step up the body is if i getting extra back pressure or burning more oil than normal. usually, the only time i have to top up oil is around the time to change any ways. that good enough for me.

mind u, the ga15 and the sr20 never had to top up. both of those were 20w50, and up to the last i try a 15w30 in the sr and i find it was nicer. never got to use it enough to get a good observation of the performance.

Nice man, thanks for the info.

But which brand of oil better between Shell and Valvoline? Both cost the same price

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 28th, 2020, 8:55 pm

hoss, the most bess oil i ever use was penzoil... once. before that, was castrol. but from castrol i switch to np about a decade now... srs. np good enough for me.

i cannot comment if the bigger brand oils are better or have more advantages, cause i never used them. they may very well be better than np, leading to longer intervals between changes, but i cannot say.

i have tried a few cheap ones, and they broke down, loosing body, getting blacker/sooty way before the 5k mark. so i can say, in the lower end of the spectrum, ur safe with np.

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”