Forums

Suggestions to the Minister of Sport re: T&T motorsport

Somewhere where to run?

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Suggestions to the Minister of Sport re: T&T motorsport

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 8th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Gary Hunt has just been appointed as Minister of Sport.
Gary has been practicing circuit racing since he was 15yrs old and acquired his FIA license at age 16 from the Puerto Rican ASN.
His father is a founding member and signatory of TTASA for the NACAM and FIA General Assembly.
Gary is a former vice president of TTASA and former president of the Trinidad & Tobago Karting Association and has won the national TTKA championship twice.
He took on a protege young driver (Brandon Steele) in the TTKA who placed 2nd in the 2006 championship.
He was the past chairman of the Trinidad & Tobago Motorsport Federation (TTMF) which held circuit racing events at Wallerfield and did major infrastructural upgrades to Wallerfield circuit track.
Gary also captured the circuit race championship with his civic type r race car.

So with all this motorsport background, TriniTuner would like to put forward the suggestions of this online community to the Minister.

In this thread, state your suggestions to the new Minister of Sport with regards to the restructuring and development of motorsport in T&T. No ramblings please, only productive suggestions are welcome.

We will formalise and forward these suggestions to the minister seeking a response.

State your suggestions here:
Last edited by Duane 3NE 2NR on December 9th, 2007, 11:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz
Location: ......takin it easy on the road we call "Life".....

Postby wagon r » November 8th, 2007, 10:39 pm

1. I know many will call for the removal of TTASA and in comes TTUMRA (sp), but I would really like to see all the bodies come together and take the sport forward.
Let one or two representatives from each discipline sit on a committee and make TnT the leader of motorsport in the caribbean.

2. Ensure that everyone sticks to their dates so that we will not have 3-5 events on the same day. It benefits no one, and the biggest loser are the fans, for without whom, the sport is nothing.

3. I heard him mention it in his interview, to get started on the home for our beloved sport but be sure to include everyone, even us here, as sometimes the general public may see something the planners might forget. Spare no expense as this is our time, after all, just look at how many of our boys are racing overseas and flying the Flag proudly.

4. Forget ego Mr. Hunt. Your praise will not come from building the home but in years to come when the home sprouts seasoned racers in all forms chasing their dreams and the win in international events across the globe.

.....I for one, can't wait for the day we hold out first event.

w.

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » November 8th, 2007, 11:11 pm

First, I must offer our congratulations on this appointment, and I am sure all in the Motor Sport fraternity will be entirely happy that one with a Motor Sport background, (and let us not forget Martial Arts) will certainly now see Motor Sport joining the ranks of those other sports that use a bat or a ball.

And we offer our prayers that the Government will be supportive of the fresh ideas and views that will be brought to the table.

Of course we look forward to our eternal views that all disciplines be EQUALLY represented in the Management of Motor Sport in T&T, which will see fair and equitable treatment all around.

This can only happen if the various Management teams, by their very actions, act in a mature manner and are also fair and equitable in the decision making process within their respective organizations.

Again our prayers and best wishes in this radical change in responsibilities.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » November 9th, 2007, 7:04 am

Finally a minister who actually has a sporting background and understands how it feels on th otherside of the fence so to speak

TTASA doesnt need to be disbanded but policies and operations need to be reviewed

TTASA should just be the governing body that overseas motorsports and ensures that each disciplin keeps within the standards set by international bodies
FIA NHRA SCCA WRC etc

definatly one would say a home for motorsport
and finally the drive would come from a minister who understands too well the uphill battle we have all had for years

i do suggest to stop building more stadiums as most of the present ones are highly under used and a waste of taxpayers money

Also i am sure more effort cane be placed on seeking another location that offers more land for a home for motorsport

maybe even re visiting some of the previous ideas

Mini
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Mini » November 9th, 2007, 7:20 am

when a motorsport facility is constructed, run them pretty much like the stadiums, i.e. under the MOSYA and not by any particular body. The stadiums (well I deal with Ato Boldon all the time) have a facilities manager and admin staff who are responsible for bookings for the use of such by any fraternity for an event.

riderz
3NE 2NR for life

Postby riderz » November 9th, 2007, 9:53 am

SR wrote:Finally a minister who actually has a sporting background and understands how it feels on th otherside of the fence so to speak

TTASA doesnt need to be disbanded but policies and operations need to be reviewed

TTASA should just be the governing body that overseas motorsports and ensures that each disciplin keeps within the standards set by international bodies
FIA NHRA SCCA WRC etc

and finally the drive would come from a minister who understands too well the uphill battle we have all had for years

i do suggest to stop building more stadiums as most of the present ones are highly under used and a waste of taxpayers money

Also i am sure more effort cane be placed on seeking another location that offers more land for a home for motorsport

I totally agree with you SR. TTASA should not be a commercial venture but a governing body. You cant be the approving authority and competeting for the same customer base in a fair world.

I also agree that the government should divert some of its funding from Stadiums to motorcircuits. We have x amount of stadiums already and they are hardly filled with all the football and cricket events.

Motor sports pulls in the largest crowds and there is no where proper to provide the security and safety to the following.

kes_vtec
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kes_vtec » November 9th, 2007, 10:19 am

riderz wrote:Motor sports pulls in the largest crowds and there is no where proper to provide the security and safety to the following.

no true...
football is very big in trinidad... but motorsport now has a change to grow in to something that we all can all be proud of...

Mini
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Mini » November 9th, 2007, 11:06 am

kes_vtec wrote:
riderz wrote:Motor sports pulls in the largest crowds and there is no where proper to provide the security and safety to the following.

no true...
football is very big in trinidad... but motorsport now has a change to grow in to something that we all can all be proud of...

i think he's talking about the usual run of the mill events... a typical PFL final or SSFL final pulls what about 10,000 people just a couple times for the year as opposed to a drag event that pulls the same number at each event. Living next to one of the stadiums, I can attest that most PFL games are not patronized as they should be.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 9th, 2007, 11:23 am

^ limit the discussions please - just state your suggestions

Mini
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Mini » November 9th, 2007, 2:24 pm

1. workshops for handling the media... not everyone can talk on camera.. as events grow caribbean and international media coverage will also.

2. workshops for developing sponsor proposals... fixing yuh car easy.. preparing a media kit and budget and getting sponsors convinced... not so easy

3. import duty exemptions on race parts - coordinated by the NSO(s) and Ministry of Trade & Industry and MOSYA.

4. make it easier for cars to be off the port for international events (and well cars going out too)

5. have representation of all disciplines at the MOSYA level... currently only TTASA and TTRC are NSOs... non for drag racing, karting, etc.

6. training for officials... referees and (cricket) umpires have their training workshops... why not marshals?

White CZ4A
30 pounds of Boost

Postby White CZ4A » November 9th, 2007, 3:36 pm

SR wrote:Finally a minister who actually has a sporting background and understands how it feels on th otherside of the fence so to speak

FIA NHRA SCCA WRC etc

+1
I believe our problem now would no longer be finding a place or building a facility.
I'm just interested in how the completed project/s will be managed.

Strongly would suggest foreign participation(international standards) in the design and management of the facility.

miguel granville
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby miguel granville » November 9th, 2007, 4:36 pm

just hope all pans work out good luck and congrats to the minister

cant type any big thing i usin cell phone

shapeshop
Riding on 13's

Postby shapeshop » November 9th, 2007, 9:26 pm

Yes Guys...now is the time...Bring in International Track developers built to FIA Specs. Let them build it manage it and run it..get the systems in place to ensure proper operation and then let gov't or the property mgr buy it and continue its operation. There should be room for growth with an options to revisit for upgrades and expansion....that the facility will naturally have had an accomodation for....Congrats Gary...Make us proud

De Bench
Riding on 17's

Postby De Bench » November 10th, 2007, 8:47 am

legalise auto racing so we can get a "face"

second to that, issue some sort of legistation so "full race" cars can get insurance without it having to cost a vital organ

have registered race cars exempt for the current inspection requirement

educated the police about a race cars so they stop accusing true racers of being holligans when they are merley trying to get to and fro from an event

design a penalisation system for registered racer caught in illegal activities; "de Cross" etc......

Instate the 150% tax break for sponsorship of a race car
to ensure transperancy, have every race team registered and audited so the tax break is not used to repair beach houses, holidays etc.

seeing that the Go'vt still have shares in caribbean Airline, I am asking they subsidise the airfares of the teams and crew that will be representing T&T in event overseas.

Extend the GATE program to racer who wnat to attend Racing School

reduce or remove the duties on parts for the specific race car, currently TTASA has control of this and nobody but a select few benefits from it.

I also believe that they COMMAND TTASA be a governing body and not a host of events, promoter etc.
When TTASA reject this; go to or start another group of young energetic full of ideas people who TTASA can have no control, input or direction on with regards to the direction and legistation they indite.
At this time the Min of Sort should also get involved with FIA, NACAM, NASA, NHRA etc.. and the other International Governing bodies and offically notify them of the group/organisation's role in the sport in TnT

This group should be accountable to the Min of Sport, that is until the sport can stand on it's own in terms of managment, finance and disiciplin.

If we, TnT want to get all the recognition we keep yapping about, WE need to start thinking about the future and not the here and now.

Times change, people change, administrations change, it's time for us to change as well.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » November 12th, 2007, 6:58 am

De Bench wrote:legalise auto racing so we can get a "face"

second to that, issue some sort of legistation so "full race" cars can get insurance without it having to cost a vital organ

have registered race cars exempt for the current inspection requirement

educated the police about a race cars so they stop accusing true racers of being holligans when they are merley trying to get to and fro from an event

design a penalisation system for registered racer caught in illegal activities; "de Cross" etc......
Instate the 150% tax break for sponsorship of a race car
to ensure transperancy, have every race team registered and audited so the tax break is not used to repair beach houses, holidays etc.

seeing that the Go'vt still have shares in caribbean Airline, I am asking they subsidise the airfares of the teams and crew that will be representing T&T in event overseas.

Extend the GATE program to racer who wnat to attend Racing School

reduce or remove the duties on parts for the specific race car, currently TTASA has control of this and nobody but a select few benefits from it.

I also believe that they COMMAND TTASA be a governing body and not a host of events, promoter etc.
When TTASA reject this; go to or start another group of young energetic full of ideas people who TTASA can have no control, input or direction on with regards to the direction and legistation they indite.
At this time the Min of Sort should also get involved with FIA, NACAM, NASA, NHRA etc.. and the other International Governing bodies and offically notify them of the group/organisation's role in the sport in TnT

This group should be accountable to the Min of Sport, that is until the sport can stand on it's own in terms of managment, finance and disiciplin.

If we, TnT want to get all the recognition we keep yapping about, WE need to start thinking about the future and not the here and now.

Times change, people change, administrations change, it's time for us to change as well.

Love this suggestion in bold.

zaxxon1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zaxxon1 » November 12th, 2007, 10:30 am

Firstly I want to congratulate Gary.

SR wrote:TTASA should just be the governing body that overseas motorsports and ensures that each discipline keeps within the standards set by international bodies
FIA NHRA SCCA WRC etc

I think TTASA should be mandated by the sports ministry to include representatives from all motorsports factions and chaired by a representative or someone from the sports company or ministry. They should not be involved in hosting or putting on an event. They should be only administrative. Let the circuit racing faction form their own body to promote and host events just as the other disciplines and/or private promoters do.

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » November 12th, 2007, 10:38 am

1) 200-300 Acre Motor sports complex, Circuit, Kart, Drift, Drags, Motocross, HUge parking Lot for Solodex etcetc etc..

2) tax Breaks & incentives for companies investing in motor sports (facilities)

3) Severe Penalties for street racing, and public awareness of road safety and defensive driving programs to curb street racing and aggressive unnecessary hard driving on the nations roads

4) Pulbic Awareness programs - put together historical documentaries of motor sports and the famous racers of Trinidad recent, past and present.

5) Embrace the community and publicly acknowledge them in a public forum and appeal to them to be patient and await a great facility in the next 5 years, in phases that will satisfy everyone, and to please stop misrepresenting the professional racers by behaving in an unprofessional manner.

congrats to Hunt

bless..

Mini
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Mini » November 13th, 2007, 6:59 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:^ limit the discussions please - just state your suggestions

Tweety wrote:Lots of good suggestions but remember the Minister, whilst an advocate for motorsport, is a member of a democracy and still has to get the approval of others for his proposals fly. He will still need our support and by this I mean, unity amoung the different disciplines (yesterday's event was a fantastic start to this end), each body, club, association etc having their houses in order. The Government is not going to take true notice until were organised and professional in our approach to our beloved sport.

^^ that point can't be repeated enough

Yorkshirelass
CARS Member

Postby Yorkshirelass » November 13th, 2007, 6:26 pm

First of all, congratulations to Gary on his appointment as Minister of Sport.
Let's all remember that Gary's portfolio includes ALL sports not just the Motor Racing Fraternity. However, we look forward to his inclusion of motor sport as part of the whole sporting arena. I am sure we will all agree that for too long, we have been ignored except for in a bad light when so called "drag racers" cause accidents on the roads.
I hope that the in fighting that currently exists can stop as we come together under his guidance for the betterment of the sport as a whole.
CARS with solodex is probably one of the few associations whose needs are not so demanding. As we saw this weekend, dex drivers definitely have potential and solodex allows drivers to learn how to handle their everyday cars in a safe manner. The restrictions upon where our events can be held due to the availability and size of clear areas are few and far between. With all the talk of a new sporting arena I would like to ask that an adequate size piece of land be available for us to use and not necessarily the car park that goes with this "arena". The reason for this is that if it is an arena that is to house drags, circuit, Karting, and all the other small driving associations, then the car park will be in use. There are only 4 weekends in a month and if we all have to share, well we may get it once every 3 or 4 months!
I agree with many of the educated suggestions that have gone before, with reference to tax incentives, Sponsorship, penalties for misconduct on the roads. I would also however, appeal for an investigation into the operations of the Licensing Office and the awarding of driver licences and inspection of vehicles. I know this doesn't fall under Gary's portfolio but let's hope that he can lean on the right people to change what goes on because as long as these problems exist, it will always be "drag racers" who cause the accidents.

dbesson
Sweet on this forum

Postby dbesson » November 13th, 2007, 10:06 pm

great points made so far by everyone... congratulations to Gary Hunt on his appointment as Minister of Sport.

aside from the urgent need of a home for motor sports, which will not happen over night. most likely over the next 3 - 5 years, if so short.

More event like the VK Super Special event should be done more often, this is a huge step in the right direction, these sort of events can only be beneficial to motor sports. it will aid in progression of the drivers competing and the committees planning and hosting events in the future, there is much to be learnt by the many bodies that host events such as this. it will prove fruitful in the future when we actually have a track/tracks for all motor sports disciplines, these committees will have gained the knowledge of how to manage such an establishment and host events in safe environment. and maybe will lead to the formation of one soul body to over see all factions of motor sports.
these events can be used to train marshals and other officials up to international standards.

Which leads me to the topic of closed road racing circuit events, which could be held on public roads as done in many other countries. this can be done between now and the time a new facility is put in place. here is a link where it was discussed
http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/vie ... highlight=

it was done in San Fernando several years ago as seen here...

so who is to say it can't be done again.

we can't just sit and wait for a track to be put in place we need to continue to grow in any form possible, and these events seem to be an excellent stepping stone to a future and home for motor sports in Trinidad and Tobago.

De Bench
Riding on 17's

Postby De Bench » November 13th, 2007, 11:49 pm

jed, dat is a really old picture sa, is that not the round about by the fire station in mon repo ?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 14th, 2007, 12:49 am

^ not Mon Repos - that is Union Hall / Cross Crossing roundabout which is now the interchange at Union Hall by the bridge

that was a great event!

NarendZORCE
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NarendZORCE » November 14th, 2007, 1:25 am

• Please: An agreed governing structure for motorsport with equal representation from all disciplines with a bulletproof ISO9000-certified system of operations run by honest, intelligent people.

• In the interim: Support for carefully managed makeshift events and concessions for competitors who travel out of T&T to represent our country.

• Long term: A self-sufficient private or semi-private (public owned but managed like a private sector co) motorsport facility that is to be run like a business in terms of organisation, integrity and professionalism. It should provide the country with advanced driver license training (like the German system), practice time for budding champions, R&D wrt racing/testing/eco & alternative energies and mainstream racing in all forms. At the end of the day it should be light years ahead of the BWIA business model and take the image of T&T forward while promoting both private and public sector companies and initiatives.

• Would be great: Provisions/support and collaboration with the media for the showcasing of all activities at the facility and the progress of our champions in the making, in bloom and in their prime who ultimately promote our country.

As I told anyone who asked me even before elections, Gary is capable of moving things forward as was the case most recently with TTMF and TTKA where great things happened under his tenure. For that he has my respect. So once again, congrats Gary and of course we are all looking forward to the great things to come.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » November 14th, 2007, 11:56 pm

1. Sort out the political and managerial side of things first..its obvious that the vast majority would like to see TTUMRA lead the pack and organise everything down here, so lay out what is expected wrt organisation, members, legislation etc., let them get their house in order, and make them the primary NSO for local motorsports...who it includes goes down to the organisational aspects, such as members of all the diff. promoters as well as ttasa etc...atm ttasa has a very bad reputation both locally and regionally and attempting to restructure that would probably not be as fruitful...the majority (as can be seen from all the posts above me calling for the same change) should rule and thus TTUMRA should be given their fair chance...

2. Secure a permanent or semi-permanent home for motorsport and lay the groundwork for construction of a proper facility in the lands TTASA claim to have been given. If it cannot all be done now, leave room for future development so that the basics are there and eventually racing may hopefully be able to take off on its own...

3. Banzai had the really good idea of teaming up with the likes of the Min. of Education to inform youths and the public in general of the dangers of street racing etc and letting them know that real racers don't indulge in that sort of behaviour...

4. Tax levies etc. are the order of the day, so that kinda thing if possible as has been mentioned before...same goes for media education and increased coverage (although i'm not sure how, if at all, the latter falls into your portfolio)...

5. Regional and international involvement...attempt to make it easier for competitors from other countries to come in and strut their stuff here in events such as the very succesful VK Super special that just took place...international exposure can only help matters and open more eyes into what we really want racing to be seen as...

All in all...you've got a fantastic track record (karting accidents aside :lol: ) as head of both TTMF and TTKA, and i have little doubt that you'd be fine as Min. of Sport as well...as i'm sure you know already and don't need me to say, other sporting organisations would be watching you carefully wrt how you handle motorsport and martial arts, esp on the funding/financial aspect of things, given the fact that you have strong backgrounds in both respects...good luck and many congrats on both winning your seat and the appointment of your position...make local motorsports proud!

nigie
Shifting into 6th

Postby nigie » November 15th, 2007, 2:30 pm

Congratulations to Gary Hunt

1. The Govt of TT should have a plan for motor sports in TT and the wellfare of those engaged in the sport should form the basis for these plans. Those engaged include -:
a) Those willing to invest in motorsports
b) Those participating in motorsports.
c) The patrons of motorsports

Obviously the Govt has recognized the value of the motorsporting industry and a suggestion to the minister is for The “planâ€

dbesson
Sweet on this forum

Postby dbesson » November 15th, 2007, 4:11 pm

thought this may be helpful.

Wilson Motorsport Inc.
http://www.wilsonmotorsport.com/default.htm

The exciting world of auto racing is fast paced both on and off the track. It is a multi-billion dollar world wide industry involving major corporations, cutting edge technologies, national media, high visibility sponsors, professional race teams, thousands of competitors and millions of committed and intensely loyal fans.

It is a complex world that presents ever increasing challenges to competitors, sponsors, track developers and owners and to event promoters. Both new and established participants in this fast changing and competitive environment face numerous obstacles in establishing and maintaining effective, profitable and successful programs.

Wilson Motorsport has been helping major players in the racing world meet these kinds of challenges since 1978. Offering extensive international experience in race facility design, motor sport operations and event development and marketing, it provides quality, cost effective and practical solutions for all types and phases of auto racing program.

With a deep understanding of the intricate and complex requirements inherent in developing and operating a complete auto sports complex or major event Wilson Motorsport is uniquely able to provide an extensive range of design, planning, management, operations and marketing services that cover all aspects of the racing industry.

Wilson Motorsport is ready to put it's experience to work for you to increase the profitability, efficiency and effectiveness of your auto racing program.

From its inception in England in 1978, Wilson Motorsport has been an active participant in world class professional motor sport, providing organizational, management, promotional, design and consulting services to the professional auto racing industry. In 1983 the company relocated to the USA where it has served a unique role in assisting many different companies in the development of their race facilities, race series, events and marketing programs. Included amongst the many Wilson Motorsport projects are: go to link for more info.
http://www.wilsonmotorsport.com/public_ ... rience.htm

Advertisement

Return to “The "NEW Race Track" Issue”