Forums

Camden concerns - Letter to TTASA

Somewhere where to run?

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Camden concerns - Letter to TTASA

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » June 17th, 2008, 9:33 pm

Sheldon Bissessar sent this letter to Dr. Michael Baboolal, Chairman of the Board of Trustees for TTASA:

Sheldon Bissessar wrote:June 16, 2008

Chairman of Trustees

Trinidad & Tobago Automobile Sports Association

Attn: Dr. Baboolal

With reference to the letter dated May 21, 2008, Sheldon Bissessar and the Party Time Racing Team has taken an in depth look into the situation regarding drag racing at Camden, the concerns of Briko and the findings of the audit conducted by the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) in May 2008. We are of the opinion that these concerns can be rectified in a manner that can be beneficial to all parties involved thereby trying to find a way to keep our beloved sport of drag racing alive and growing. As you are aware drag racing is a national sport that has always been an inspiration to the young people of our country. It instills discipline, dedication and and a relentless thirst for knowledge with the aim of having an advantage and becoming the best one can be.

The following are the concerns noted by Briko and possible remedial steps:

Concern 1. The restricted area will be not less than 1000 feet East from the fueling facility.
Absolutely no person or vehicle would be allowed within this area.

Concern 2. The facilities would be returned to its original state by the following day.

Concern 3. The use of alcohol is prohibited.

Concern 4. TTASA would erect a temporary fence to ensure that no person or vehicle is allowed within the restricted area.

Concern 5.There would be no tampering of the runway surface either land or airside areas within the airport.

Concern 6. TTASA has created a dump heap on the eastern end of the runway with the burning of tyres and garbage. This is to be cleared immediately.

Concern 7. There are obstacles – concrete pillars on the southern side of the runway. This must be cleared immediately.

Concern 8. The illegal dredging of the southern side of the airstrip, a drain and a raised area about 2 feet above the ground level. This area of obstacles are to be restored to its original state.

Concern 9. There are tyres and other obstacles on the runway. These obstacles are to be removed immediately.

Concern 10. The CAA has advised that no chemical application is to be made on the runway.

Concern 11. During an audit conducted by the CAA around the second week in May 2008, a 10 inch, ½ inch piece of steel was found embedded in the centre line of the runway protruding 6 inches in the direction of take off.

Dr.Baboolal, our two main issues are concern no. 5 and concern no. 10. We believe with the information we have acquired we can safely work with the application of track bite for drag racing and the removal of track bite to meet airstrip requirements. Our request to you for approaching Briko is for the approval to prepare only 300 feet on both sides of the airstrip. This
would solely be for the application and removal of track bite. No solvents whatsoever would be used so as to eliminate the solvent degradation of asphalt surface. We have had dialogue, through it’s local agent, Lube Tech Ltd. with Mr. P. J. Harvey, President of PJ Brands, owner and manufacturer of VHT and PJ1 products, who coincidentally is a licensed pilot. We asked him for his recommendation on the removal of traction compound. He indicated to us that he understands the safety concerns but this procedure of applying track bite for drag racing and the removal of track bite for airstrip operations, is a fairly common practice being used throughout the United States. His recommendations for the removal of track bite is as follows:

1. Scrape entire area prepared with track bite and rubber, so as to remove same.
2. Sweep area.
3. Scrub entire area with Tide Ultra 2X, as recommended by PJ Brands. This would restore surface to original condition, thereby eliminating safety issues.

All of the concerns appear to be fairly straightforward and can be addressed with proper planning, finance and manpower. The Party Time Racing Team is willing to approach the corporate business community to try and obtain manpower and equipment to address Briko’s
concerns. Should this not be entirely possible, the support of TTASA, promoters and drivers may be required. Sheldon Bissessar and The Party Time Racing Team is of the opinion that if all of these concerns are addressed and adhered to, and we receive approval to prepare a 300 foot
launching pad and remove same, the sport of drag racing can continue in a safe and enjoyable manner for all.

Dr. Baboolal, in conclusion the message we are trying to convey is that we are gravely concerned about the immediate future of drag racing in Trinidad & Tobago. It is not an issue of money, business, promotion or fame and neither is it an ego trip. It is an issue of national concern pertaining to a sport, and as you know this should not be taken lightly. I have personally met Mr. Dass (CEO of Briko) while conducting work at the airstrip and he seems to be a very intelligent and reasonable individual. Therefore your approach to him in trying to obtain approval for the application and removal of traction compound to only a mere 300 feet is
crucial. As outlined before, we have data and support from the manufacturers of the product to substantiate this procedure.

Dr. Baboolal, it is my view that we abide by the opinion of Briko’s CAA audit and the stipulations outlined by Briko. Please try your utmost best to convince Mr. Dass that we can work together with him so as to ensure a beneficial outcome for the sport and our country.

So Dr.Baboolal let governing bodies govern, let the promoters promote and let the drag racers drag. As Abert Einstein said IMAGINATION is more important than knowledge.

SHELDON BISSESSAR
MANAGER, PARTY TIME RACING TEAM

Contact Nos. : P.J. Harvey : 1â€
Last edited by Duane 3NE 2NR on June 27th, 2008, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » June 17th, 2008, 9:49 pm

I note with the concern the points outlined by Sheldon and his Team. And it is unfortunate that we are again facing a situation of losing Camden because of a lack of proper controls by those in Authority.

One major point missing here is the concerns about Street Racing. It is a fact that a lot of those who indulged in street racing took the opportunity to race at Camden. However there were no stipulations that street racing must be discontinued by said competitors, under pain of being banned.

And now with the cancellation of the S2 Event, and no immediate new dates in mind because of the major concerns raised in a document sent to TTASA by Briko, already we are hearing of a new upsurge in street racing.

The suggestions by Sheldon and his team are reasonable and implementable, if the authorities take a serious look at the points raised, and have faith in those who will have to make and keep the promises indicated.

It is hoped that a broad-minded approach will be taken in resolving this matter in the shortest possible time frame.

link
18 pounds of Boost

Postby link » June 17th, 2008, 10:09 pm

why hasen't autosport promotions ltd applied to TTASA for a drag racing date at Camden ??

southside crew
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby southside crew » June 17th, 2008, 10:32 pm

WHY was TTASA charing Promoters to use CAMDEN when THEY GOT IT FREE ???

also why the hell they didn't pay 2 ppl ( or how much you need) to inspect Camden after the events? so we wouldn't be in this scenario today?

Seeing as money passing..^^^

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 17th, 2008, 10:56 pm

just remember that the concorde crashed because of a 6 inch piece of steel left on the runway which broke off from some other plane

it will be very hard for any aviation authority to take the word of an organization saying that their people "will clean up by the next day"
when lives and aircraft are at stake

honda hoe
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby honda hoe » June 18th, 2008, 1:15 am

AutoSport wrote:One major point missing here is the concerns about Street Racing. It is a fact that a lot of those who indulged in street racing took the opportunity to race at Camden. However there were no stipulations that street racing must be discontinued by said competitors, under pain of being banned.

And now with the cancellation of the S2 Event, and no immediate new dates in mind because of the major concerns raised in a document sent to TTASA by Briko, already we are hearing of a new upsurge in street racing.

careful.. SR will cum in here jus now an bash dem for not bein interested in solodex :roll:

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » June 18th, 2008, 7:33 am

suggestion - sweep track with metal detectors after event.

solo
punchin NOS

Postby solo » June 18th, 2008, 8:36 am

A very reasonable solution by the Party Time team.
I think apart from the sport instilling discipline in the drivers involved, the clean up mandate by Briko ensures that discipline is instilled in the governing body and those responsible for hosting events also.
And to be completely honest, from the wallerfield days the only promotion company that I have ever seen emphasising on clean up after an event was Autosport promotions ltd....

swag
Street 2NR

LINK, PLEASE USE THE SPACE BETWEEN YOUR EARS CONSTRUCTIVELY

Postby swag » June 18th, 2008, 8:51 am

It blows my mind to see such an important issue being discussed/reviewed and the response from "link" is to bash Autosport about not applying for a date?

Truly shows the love and commitment this guy has for motorsport and our sports men and women.

PLEASE WRITE CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS LINK AND KEEP YOUR PERSONAL PROBLEMS TO YOURSELF.

I dont normally get involved with this stupid type of behavior but when one of the types of motorsport we all love is being threatened to be shut down once more and a professional like Sheldon Bissessar takes his time to try to resolve some of the issues and concerns, it is rather stupid to spend time bashing each other.

Is this going to solve any of these concerns or problems link. Please use you intelligence constructively link.

zaxxon1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zaxxon1 » June 18th, 2008, 10:14 am

We need to have positive comments for an issue like this. If it means we have to have a trial meet we could do that also to show these things can be done successfully. People are building again and the interest is there, so we should be working to foster it and not point fingers or be negative. For sure there will be free race days starting from next weekend, so we could pull off a mock race meeting and just make money for the track preparation and de-prepration (new word here). I am sure there are a lot of drivers and supporters that will come forward if called upon.

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » June 18th, 2008, 10:45 am

I for one will have no problem with helping the cleanup even the prep if I can in some way. I just want to see the sport take off and hopefully at some point get to run my project on the track. I know lots of people that have spent the greater part since Wallers was closed building their projects in anticipation of a new track and to this just come and gone in a wink really disheartens folks. Let's try and keep the flame lit.

honda hoe
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby honda hoe » June 18th, 2008, 10:55 am

zaxxon1 wrote:For sure there will be free race days starting from next weekend

:shock: :shock: :shock:

really?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » June 18th, 2008, 11:21 am

keep us updated with wats takin place....
seems like ptrt and crew has to step in to sort out sheit that was done

link
18 pounds of Boost

Re: LINK, PLEASE USE THE SPACE BETWEEN YOUR EARS CONSTRUCTIV

Postby link » June 19th, 2008, 8:31 am

swag wrote:It blows my mind to see such an important issue being discussed/reviewed and the response from "link" is to bash Autosport about not applying for a date?
Truly shows the love and commitment this guy has for motorsport and our sports men and women.

PLEASE WRITE CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS LINK AND KEEP YOUR PERSONAL PROBLEMS TO YOURSELF.

I dont normally get involved with this stupid type of behavior but when one of the types of motorsport we all love is being threatened to be shut down once more and a professional like Sheldon Bissessar takes his time to try to resolve some of the issues and concerns, it is rather stupid to spend time bashing each other.

Is this going to solve any of these concerns or problems link. Please use you intelligence constructively link.

you completely missed the intent.......
I'll re-word :

seeing that everyone in general) is so confident of Autosport Promotions Ltd ability to successfully promote drag racing events, why hasn't ASPL (or is it Autosport Racing Association ?) not applied & executed dates at Camden.
now, don't get me wrong....this is the flavour of your posts (in general).......
but...I'm curious.......why not??
I am all for ASPL (or ANY OTHER PROMOTER) promoting an event.........all the systems are there...equipment, fences, etc,etc......
and a facility is available.

link
18 pounds of Boost

Postby link » June 19th, 2008, 8:48 am

zaxxon1 wrote:We need to have positive comments for an issue like this. If it means we have to have a trial meet we could do that also to show these things can be done successfully. People are building again and the interest is there, so we should be working to foster it and not point fingers or be negative. For sure there will be free race days starting from next weekend, so we could pull off a mock race meeting and just make money for the track preparation and de-prepration (new word here). I am sure there are a lot of drivers and supporters that will come forward if called upon.

very important point here..........along with a most appropriate post....
zaxxon1...please liase with Dr.Baboolal so as to ensure all round efforts are maintained.....
rgds

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » June 19th, 2008, 8:49 am

come on link

tell the rest of the story

why dont you tell eveyone that there are certain individuals within TTASA who does not want rawle mahabir to step foot into camden nor promote an event including yourself

link
18 pounds of Boost

Postby link » June 19th, 2008, 8:55 am

SR wrote:come on link

tell the rest of the story

why dont you tell eveyone that there are certain individuals within TTASA who does not want rawle mahabir to step foot into camden nor promote an event including yourself

Please sr...

I'm not going to fall for your mudslinging ploy again......
also...very respectfully...I say that you don't speak for me......please remember that...
I hope swag takes you to task here...
:wink:

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » June 19th, 2008, 8:59 am

who's mudlinging

why is it you keep harping in every thread about aspl not applying for dates

why dont you make your own thread and ask the question and state your point

and stop straying off topic from a constructive post made by someone

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » June 19th, 2008, 9:21 am

oh and link seeing that yuh not too well informed lemme bring yuh up to speed ah know yuh a bit slow like yuh circuit cars

as far as I know ASPL did apply to TTASA for dates and was given ONE, for the whole of 2008, on mother's day, a bound tuh buss date.

Speed promotions were given 8 dates

ASPL was being charged $15,000 per day to "rent" Camden and TTASA still wanted control. TTASA got the venue free from the gov't and were subletting it out for $15K per day!

ASPL also were the ones who ran off the ONLY two successful competition events at Camden, EVER! And this was FOR TTASA!

The user "MANIAC" on this forum even assisted ASPL with this task of helping TTASA run competiton for free, so he can confirm.

For TTASA's championship points events, competition was handled by ASPL and all brackets were run off, organised and on time, with proper point standings, check and see, the only drag events where trinituenr was able to publish points properly, go ask TTASA's competitions chairman.

and ASPL did this for TTASA for FREE! ASPL even had to bring their own paper!

tell me I lie!

DF1_2nR
Trinituner Peong

Postby DF1_2nR » June 19th, 2008, 9:33 am

Oh gosh SR, you know he just going to pick out one statement that have nothing to do with the point of your post and go off on it.

Why even bother?

It's not every idiot you can help. Some should just be left to fade out of existence of their own accord.

link
18 pounds of Boost

Postby link » June 19th, 2008, 9:38 am

so I can look forward to ASPL assisting in this concerted effort being rallied by zaxxon1..............
c'mon sr...slacken yr belt & get with it...
:wink:

kes_vtec
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kes_vtec » June 19th, 2008, 9:55 am

dem small islands must be ral laughing at us now... :oops: :oops: :oops:

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » June 19th, 2008, 12:09 pm

It is with interest I read Link’s comments here and his demand to see or know whether Autosport requested any dates …

FYI. We did via letter of 17th March and received a reply on the 5th April, via letter dated 19th March from TTASA.

And we responded to TTASA’s letter dated 14th April as follows:

We refer to letter dated 19th March 2008, in response to our request for Drag Racing dates for 2008, for events to be staged at Camden Couva. We carefully selected our dates based on your dates published and previously submitted to Trinituner, to ensure that they were not clashing with any other organization’s events.

And to now note that ASPL has only been granted one Test and Tune date, and another “to be determinedâ€

turbo master
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby turbo master » June 19th, 2008, 12:23 pm

lemme get in a bit..
SR fair is fair..frankie actually ran off the entire competition n prizegiving at his last event.
if im not mistaken TTASA was charging 15k per drag event,not per day.

http://ttasaonline.com/calendar.php -for dates

FYI it was announced by TTASA members that ASPL assissted with the mother's day event by donating the bleachers for FREE as the profits were going toward jameer's cause. afaik they HAVE and WILL continue to assisst with the promotion of motorsport.

link, abt the $ thing. there was need for a drag racing promoter to get things organised properly to move drags ahead in T&T.ASPL stepped up, ASPL is a business and made $..whats your point?ASPL has assissted with not jsut drags but in other areas of motorsport as well¬ just T&T either :idea: give jack his jacket
alot of people are unaware&unconcerned with the history between TTASA & ASPL.at the end of the day, ppl want a place to race&ppl want proper drag racing.whoever can deliver that to them, they're happy.

kes-u know mervyn bonnet? works w david vizard n builds n tunes the majority of grenada v8s he said this to me when we were still fighting for camden "TNT is supposed to be the mecca for caribbean motorsports"

actually kes..antigua has a corner at the end of the track.but their automotive industry is still thriving!barbados,guyana are smaller countries yet still their mospo is at a higher level. heck think abt st croix,aruba,curacao wrt to drags!

rite now I believe we need someone w knowledge&experience to step up. I believe that person is sheldon&PTRT. in trinidad the First 9,8,7,6 and who knows 5second passes were run by him.there's nothign for the PTRT down here.sheldon races away yet still is involved in trying to secure a track and prepare it for the other racers. ryan also is another person to consider.his 18 month campaign in the states took him to the top. not just running a 7sec pass but also winning his class in the finals. vijai ramkissoon was the first rail driver in the caribbean and is still setting records in the states! we need the assisstance from these guys.

this petty arguing is one of the main reasons that a lot of racers are discouraged from racing & why people have stopped building projects :idea: we need to focus on a way FORWARD & on the positive. The negatives are a hindrance to the promotion of drag racing.

now as far as i see it, if there is to be racing in camden again, volunteers are needed for various aspects.i have been making this call for assisstance repeatedly.(not for TTASA/ASPL/S2/SPL/etc but for motorsport!) all the time big protest to GET a track,now we have one..who is helping to ensure we KEEP it :idea: (no its not TTASA fault alone..we all are involved & stakeholders in the track)

..let's hope next time, people could put their $ where their mouth is & come forward to help take motorsports to higher standard..

caura4life
Riding on 13's

Postby caura4life » June 19th, 2008, 1:36 pm

turbo master wrote:lemME get in a bit
mervyn bonnet said this to ME
rite now I believe we need someone
I have the answer
as far as I see it, there is to be racing
we all are involved & stakeholders in the track

I, me, we? who d firetruck is u?

turbo master wrote:let's hope next time, people could put their $ where their mouth is & come forward to help take motorsports to higher standard

all dis me me me, u have $$$? cuz all i c u doin is talkin

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » June 19th, 2008, 1:43 pm

caura4life, :lol: :lol: :lol:

link
18 pounds of Boost

Postby link » June 19th, 2008, 3:02 pm

AutoSport wrote:So Link, you see proof of Autosport requesting dates, what next?

Really is there any need to continue this…

Please ctc sheldon & co to make the way forward more of a collective effort...

Really is there any need to continue this.
...ditto.......there is no other reality...is there ??
:idea:

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » June 19th, 2008, 9:59 pm

It is just amazing how you Link, shout and scream in multicolour at certain people to get answers, and when you are proven wrong, you squirm and try to divert to other matters.

Why not look at the response to AutoSport's letter,
see the type of management we have all had to deal with,
the allocation of dates to those with questionable or no track record,
the setting of dates that clash with others, then telling AutoSport to avoid calshes
and now you simply say go contact someone else.
Wasn't Autosport the first responders to this thread?

But then , once Link throw his dirty comments, and proven wrong, AGAIN, he darts off to the next bit of nonsense he wants to stir up.

Eslewhere you talk about cooperating, but all of the other parties are together trying to get one other to cooperate, and this is what is messing up Motor Sport today, where is the divide and rule in this?

Link, simply put, you and a few others are the ones who are messing up progress!

We are moving on, until the injunction comes!

link
18 pounds of Boost

Postby link » June 20th, 2008, 5:39 am

AutoSport wrote:....
and now you simply say go contact someone else.
Link, simply put, you and a few others are the ones who are messing up progress!

the way forward is in steps and solving issues like this latest round of 'new' requirements at Camden is one step.......
I don't understand how agreeing with Sheldon's assessment of the 'Camden situation' leads you to continue along divergent lines....
is this a case of 'damned if you don't & damned if you do'... :?: :?: :?:

link
18 pounds of Boost

Postby link » June 20th, 2008, 6:06 am

AutoSport wrote:....

And link this other joke... "all the systems are there...equipment, fences, etc,etc...... "
Whose own???? I really remenber back in October you saying Equipment coming, it on the seas.."

Really is there any need to continue this…

I, personally, am of the opinion that a promotor who has been contracted by any organisation to provide various elements of that production should supply all necessary equipment needed for the job.........
The rental (or purchase) of said equip, etc,etc...., is normal practice & has nothing to do with "whose own", except where $$ charged for that service is comparative to similar services & there is a requirement to select the lowest provider.
In this same light, you see many caterers not owning a single knife, plate, spoon or fork.......but successfully provide the service to contracted functions.........& nobody asks "whose own" ...

Advertisement

Return to “The "NEW Race Track" Issue”