TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Concerned Drag Racers of Trinidad and Tobago

Somewhere where to run?

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

professor
Trinituner Peong

Postby professor » April 26th, 2009, 10:46 pm

I thought that was why MATT was formed, to approach the goverment as a unified body. Strength in numbers BS etc ?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 26th, 2009, 10:51 pm

^ Professor I think they are part of MATT.

It was announced at the Ministry of Sport public consultation on motorsport that ARA is a member of MATT.

Computerman
Riding on 18's

Postby Computerman » April 26th, 2009, 11:10 pm

SR20VE-T wrote:basically ARA (Autosport Racing Association) needs our support so they can go to the government with a proposition for a permanant home for drag racing.
That statement is misleading.

Many of us believe we can greatly benefit by uniting. Although this has been talked about for years nothing worthwhile has been done until now. A select few of the drag racing drivers have taken it upon themselves to try and change the status quo. They have held discussions with ARA regarding, but not limited to, representation for the drivers of drag racing. ARA identified several options regarding this. The select few who had the courage to start this process then asked the rest of us to come listen to what they had to say, offer our input and ask questions. This a few of us did.

Many of us have decided that it is in our immediate best interest to apply to ARA for membership being that it is already a well established and recognised association (ARA is a MATT member). ARA will then proceed to act on behalf of it's members.

NOTE: Please be advised that regarding the post above I tried my utmost to keep my explanations simple and clear. The actual events and dialogue that led to and took place at the meeting were much more intricate and too detailed for a person of my limited intellect and poor memory to post here. So before you begin the 'flaming' get all the facts!

professor wrote:I thought that was why MATT was formed, to approach the goverment as a unified body. Strength in numbers BS etc ?
There is a clear lack of understanding by the public regarding roles and functions of various bodies when it comes to proper representation, unification, negotiation and regulation.

honda hoe wrote:ole talk as usual den
No. On the contrary, many of us truly believe that we are finally making progress to achieve our goals.

Flyin Fcuk

Postby Flyin Fcuk » April 27th, 2009, 2:16 am

Firstly i want to big up Duane...and all the rest of my fellow Tuners!

Fellas, this is what i feel about the whole situation( although i am just a "small fry" when it comes to drag racing etc.) :

In my mind....Drag racing...and any motorsport on the whole in Trinidad will always be neglected because of one individual! And allyuh could shoot meh if allyuh want (at least try :wink: ) The present Minister of Sport, Mr.Gary Hunt will never support any auto Association Body in Trini because of past incidents. I believe he said it out LOUD in a particular meeting way back in Waller days. As I said before...that is just how i feel.
I will always back u guys when it comes to any type of racing.....but it's sad we will have to depend on fellow enthusiasts to take money out of there own pockets to build drag strips and racing tracks. just because of one persons Selfish ways and "small man syndrome". Ah doh usually get on so....but das just how ah brother feels! Big Up! :lol:

Computerman
Riding on 18's

Postby Computerman » April 27th, 2009, 7:07 am

Flyin Fcuk wrote:As I said before...that is just how i feel.
There are many of us who empathise with what you said. However, from what I have seen and heard over the past few months I can honestly say that my opinion of Mr. Hunt (and by extention the Ministry of Sport) has changed, to an extent. They have told us what they require us (motorsport enthusiasts) to do before they can consider assisting us in any meaningful way. In my opinion what the Ministry has asked of us is in no way outside the scope of what we should have done ourselves years ago. Over they years we have become complacant and taken for granted the privaleges given to us. We have also been taken advantage of by unscroupulous parties and said and done nothing to change the status quo. It seems we just needed an authoritative body (and persons with the courage to accept this challenge of change) to tell us to do 'it' or 'salt'!

People, please do not fool yourselves into believing that this was an 'overnight' initiative. This change has been in the planning for years and many persons have worked tirelessly with no expectation of reward, compensation or recognition to reach were we are today. To these hard working corageous persons I say "Thank you"!

professor
Trinituner Peong

Postby professor » April 27th, 2009, 7:59 am

SR20VE-T wrote:basically ARA (Autosport Racing Association) needs our support so they can go to the government with a proposition for a permanant home for drag racing.

Correct me if i am wrong.

I did not attend the meeting, this above quote is what I based my comment about MATT on.

Hear that the Highway was a Drag Strip after the meeting, this should go down good with the Ministry.
Maybe someone should speak to the drag racers about keeping a low profile while the people who is representing them do their thing.

SR20VE-T
Street 2NR

Postby SR20VE-T » April 27th, 2009, 8:04 am

I did say correct me if I am wrong eh :) :) :)

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » April 27th, 2009, 9:33 am

So we have some who have their opinion, as wrong and disgusting as it may be, and they freely have the right to do so. There are others who continue to pursue going somewhere and also having the right to do so.

And Computerman has accurately expressed what transpired.

But Professor, are you trying to link the meeting, and those who attended with this… “Hear that the Highway was a Drag Strip after the meeting“

It was made very clear in the meeting that:
(a) Street racing is being done to the detriment of all Motor Sport initiatives.
(b) Those who indulge in such illegal activities will not be welcome in being part of this new initiative
(c) And those who attend also directly support such illegal activities, doh care how they try to spin it.

For those who wish to continue to be cynical, that is their right, and those who wish to continue trying to do something positive, you are most welcome.

S-Type
Street 2NR

Postby S-Type » April 27th, 2009, 10:23 am

Professor i am sorry that such an educated individual would make statements not based in fact.

whatever the cause it happens to the best of us at times.

i do though want to encourage u as an auto enthusiast to try to help us in our efforts in getting our voice heard instead of spreading rumors.

Who knows you too might benefit from it.

Computerman
Riding on 18's

Postby Computerman » April 27th, 2009, 10:28 am

professor wrote:Hear that the Highway was a Drag Strip after the meeting, this should go down good with the Ministry.
Which part was this, the new overpass? We went by Kelvin & Rose after the meeting... then headed back down south. I didn't see any illegal street racing... just plenty ppl driving over the speed limit as per usual... including us (we were between 90-100Kmph coming down the road).

Flyin Fcuk

Postby Flyin Fcuk » April 27th, 2009, 10:42 am

AutoSport wrote:So we have some who have their opinion, as wrong and disgusting as it may be

^^^^That's your opinion buddy :twisted:
Pump your center pedal.
I didn't post my opinon to hurt or disrespect anyone.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » April 27th, 2009, 10:47 am

^^^^
perhaps, just perhaps he's possibly not speaking about you. :?

Computerman
Riding on 18's

Postby Computerman » April 27th, 2009, 12:35 pm

This post is not directed at anyone!

This is what I usually see:

I have always been among those who believed that the greatest freedom of speech was the greatest safety, because if a man is a fool the best thing to do is to encourage him to advertise the fact by speaking. - Woodrow T. Wilson

This is what I would like to see:

Speech is power: speech is to persuade, to convert, to compel. It is to bring another out of his bad sense into your good sense. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » April 27th, 2009, 2:51 pm

^^^^ AMEN!

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 27th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Flyin Fcuk wrote:Firstly i want to big up Duane...and all the rest of my fellow Tuners!

Fellas, this is what i feel about the whole situation( although i am just a "small fry" when it comes to drag racing etc.) :

In my mind....Drag racing...and any motorsport on the whole in Trinidad will always be neglected because of one individual! And allyuh could shoot meh if allyuh want (at least try :wink: ) The present Minister of Sport, Mr.Gary Hunt will never support any auto Association Body in Trini because of past incidents. I believe he said it out LOUD in a particular meeting way back in Waller days. As I said before...that is just how i feel.
I will always back u guys when it comes to any type of racing.....but it's sad we will have to depend on fellow enthusiasts to take money out of there own pockets to build drag strips and racing tracks. just because of one persons Selfish ways and "small man syndrome". Ah doh usually get on so....but das just how ah brother feels! Big Up! :lol:

Me?! I didnt do anything, yet.

Since my name was called I feel compelled to reply to you.
I have to disagree with your statements and I disagree not on past and present personal/public battles, personal agendas etc. but on what I've seen happen over the past year.

The current Minister of Sport Gary Hunt is the only Minister of Sport to EVER in the history of motorsport in T&T give the sport a public consultation and mobilise his Ministry and the Sporting Company to find a way for motorsport to move forward.

If what you say is true then that would have never happened. He would have just ignored any mention of motorsport.

professor
Trinituner Peong

Postby professor » April 27th, 2009, 3:56 pm

AutoSport wrote:So we have some who have their opinion, as wrong and disgusting as it may be, and they freely have the right to do so. There are others who continue to pursue going somewhere and also having the right to do so.

And Computerman has accurately expressed what transpired.

But Professor, are you trying to link the meeting, and those who attended with this… “Hear that the Highway was a Drag Strip after the meeting“

It was made very clear in the meeting that:
(a) Street racing is being done to the detriment of all Motor Sport initiatives.
(b) Those who indulge in such illegal activities will not be welcome in being part of this new initiative
(c) And those who attend also directly support such illegal activities, doh care how they try to spin it.

For those who wish to continue to be cynical, that is their right, and those who wish to continue trying to do something positive, you are most welcome.

A young lady who works with Trinmar came up to me this morning and asked me why we have to drive so reckless, I asked her what she meant by that ? She asked if there was not some car meeting in Grand Bazzar, I said I believe there was, she then said, "after the meeting the cars were flying down the road". Not being very educated, but could put one and one together, that's the number I came up with. As to driving fast on the road, I do it from time to time, so much so, that when the last Police stopped me, I thanked him, as it seemed like I needed that help to restrain myself. A reformed drunk is always the biggest advocate against drinking (don't get uptight about that remark, it refers to me)

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » April 27th, 2009, 4:38 pm

^^^^^ AMEN Also!

787B
Street 2NR

Postby 787B » April 27th, 2009, 7:00 pm

To those who say "it eh go wuk", ent dey try dat", could you please give us some suggestions on what you think is the way forward?

Or should we just sit an wait and hope for a track:?: :?: :?:

MAZTUNE
Riding on 17's

Postby MAZTUNE » April 27th, 2009, 7:22 pm

this meeting was the most positive meeting(25th April) i have ever went for drag racing i hope its a start of something good for the future! lets keep it up and work together as one drag racer body.

southside crew
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby southside crew » May 7th, 2009, 8:52 pm

Is there a next meeting coming up?

AutoSport
Riding on 17's

Postby AutoSport » May 8th, 2009, 4:25 pm

Yes, working on an available date for the venue for the next general meeting.

And after this, possibly the first week in June
the holding of the first gathering of members and supporters with a Swap Meet at Grand Bazzar.

Confirmation on all of the above will be announced shortly.

professor
Trinituner Peong

????????????????

Postby professor » May 21st, 2009, 1:24 pm

AutoSport wrote:Yes, working on an available date for the venue for the next general meeting.

And after this, possibly the first week in June
the holding of the first gathering of members and supporters with a Swap Meet at Grand Bazzar.

Confirmation on all of the above will be announced shortly.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????May 21st, 2009.

bOOsTmaN
Sweet on this forum

Postby bOOsTmaN » May 22nd, 2009, 2:54 pm

Meeting on the 19th, May was the most positive meeting ive been to also.

Swap meet is carded for Sunday 31st May 2009 in Grand bazzaar. This should be a good event.

I'll be there! details shoould be available soon

kidlex
3NE 2NR for life

Postby kidlex » November 20th, 2009, 11:33 am

As 2009 is near its end has there been any headway(concrete evidence plz) into an OFFICIAL race track in trinidad, be it for drag or circuit racing by the gov't.

If so plz guide me to links or documentation so i can be informed,

Thks

boost-infestation
Street 2NR

Postby boost-infestation » March 1st, 2010, 11:35 pm

kidlex wrote:As 2009 is near its end has there been any headway(concrete evidence plz) into an OFFICIAL race track in trinidad, be it for drag or circuit racing by the gov't.

If so plz guide me to links or documentation so i can be informed,

Thks

It is 2010 and the month of March has come upon us already. I have the same concern as in the above quote X2. Anything OFFICIAL yet?

Advertisement

Return to “The "NEW Race Track" Issue”