TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby david12 » December 3rd, 2021, 4:32 pm

Was here for some time now I think October or so. You can see the hints of European here and there.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » December 3rd, 2021, 9:29 pm

Can companies like HSM actually do repairs on these types of vehicles should one encounter a serious issue during the warranty period? I see ANSA has opened for some time now a service area dedicated to FU Hondas.

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 3rd, 2021, 9:43 pm

SLVR1 wrote:Can companies like HSM actually do repairs on these types of vehicles should one encounter a serious issue during the warranty period? I see ANSA has opened for some time now a service area dedicated to FU Hondas.
They have their own service bay with all the goodies. Warranty period might be 2- 3 years and I doubt anything would really go bad in those cars so soon. Long term I'm not sure if they would do work on vehicles that may need more involving jobs than oil and plugs.
Last edited by david12 on December 3rd, 2021, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 4th, 2021, 12:24 pm

Bro, the answer is no.

Let's set up a call, I can get more granular if you like.
SLVR1 wrote:Can companies like HSM actually do repairs on these types of vehicles should one encounter a serious issue during the warranty period? I see ANSA has opened for some time now a service area dedicated to FU Hondas.

SLVR1
Sweet on this forum

Postby SLVR1 » December 5th, 2021, 11:14 am

agent007 wrote:Bro, the answer is no.

Let's set up a call, I can get more granular if you like.

david12, this is what I suspect because I see some are giving the 3 years but not 100,000km but rather 50,000km. IMO they are trying to mitigate risk.

Agent, hope all is well. As I am so happy with the 1.5T CRV (turned 3 in Nov.) I was looking at the Vezel Touring as a second/backup vehicle which also has the 1.5T. I spoke with a reputable FU dealer to bring one in but he kept pushing for the hybrid version which I do not want. When I mentioned issues surrounding them (based on yr./hybrid/recalls) they said they never had those issues with theirs. Made me quite skeptical. I get the impression that these FU/grey mkt. dealers are questionable to some extent with their new vehicles. Figure when I am ready I'll go back the stealership.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 5th, 2021, 11:16 am

Why Nissan why. Non serviceable spark plug tube seals in most of those plastic valve covers. Ahhhhh.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » December 8th, 2021, 12:35 am

So I see Honda gonna put a na 1.5 in the new hr-v, at least the one that the firm will bring, not even the turbo 1.5 from the civic, can anyone say underpowered? This thing with underpowered 'suvs' is annoying me, the rush with it's yaris engine and the Sportage with it's cerato engine .

Sounds like the start of a crappy new trend.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 8th, 2021, 11:28 am

So very true bro! One point of correction though. Kia is a paper brand. Their vehicles are based on Hyundai platforms and drivetrains. The uniqueness of a Kia is its design since the guts of the vehicle is all Hyundai. That said, the Sportage GDi 1.6 uses a variant of a motor found in the Elantra in other markets but I get what you’re saying.

Expect more third world vehicles to enter our market (once there is supply of course due to supply chain, inventory and chip issues).

We will continue to get smaller displacement engines here (some will be fitted with turbos to ease the pain). Middle class and below will have to look out for a 1.0/1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5/1.6 vehicle as opposed to a couple years ago when the middle class could have afforded up to 1.8/2.0/2.2/2.3/2.4/2.5 vehicles easily.

The only bonus here is, the Tucson turbo that I don’t like is a deceptively quick crossover in a sea of 90-150hp cars on the road which incidentally makes up the chunk of our market.

Those older RAV4s that came with the 2.4 and 2.5 engine or the local T31 Xtrails with the 2.5 engine and the CRVs that actually came with a 2.4 K24 iVTEC engine will all get its doors blown away by said 1.6T Tucson. So we know once the little engine has a turbo it can still be fun.

For those little crossovers with small displacements but with no turbo, what can I say. Just humble yourself cause police brutal these days with their road traffic regulations which is not a bad thing.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » December 8th, 2021, 1:19 pm

agent007 wrote:So very true bro! One point of correction though. Kia is a paper brand. Their vehicles are based on Hyundai platforms and drivetrains. The uniqueness of a Kia is its design since the guts of the vehicle is all Hyundai. That said, the Sportage GDi 1.6 uses a variant of a motor found in the Elantra in other markets but I get what you’re saying.

Expect more third world vehicles to enter our market (once there is supply of course due to supply chain, inventory and chip issues).

We will continue to get smaller displacement engines here (some will be fitted with turbos to ease the pain). Middle class and below will have to look out for a 1.0/1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5/1.6 vehicle as opposed to a couple years ago when the middle class could have afforded up to 1.8/2.0/2.2/2.3/2.4/2.5 vehicles easily.

The only bonus here is, the Tucson turbo that I don’t like is a deceptively quick crossover in a sea of 90-150hp cars on the road which incidentally makes up the chunk of our market.

Those older RAV4s that came with the 2.4 and 2.5 engine or the local T31 Xtrails with the 2.5 engine and the CRVs that actually came with a 2.4 K24 iVTEC engine will all get its doors blown away by said 1.6T Tucson. So we know once the little engine has a turbo it can still be fun.

For those little crossovers with small displacements but with no turbo, what can I say. Just humble yourself cause police brutal these days with their road traffic regulations which is not a bad thing.
How many of us just commute as opposed to driving? This discussion about displacement and power etc is only true for a bare minimum of enthusiast drivers. We don't have a functional track or many drivers' roads to let our vehicles loose on (although the north coast road from maracas to blanchicheusse is pretty good). Let's stop pretending that Trinidad is the home of the Nurburgring and the dealers will bring down the good stuff. It's all about the bottom line....if you want something to zip around in, bring it in yourself. Motorsport isn't for sufferers though...

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 8th, 2021, 4:26 pm

Make the most of what you have.

So Mazda released a Japan only Miata with a 1.5 engine cause somebody realized that you don't need a lot of power to have fun.

Should also try how it feels to have you foot to the floor almost all the time.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » December 8th, 2021, 6:01 pm

agent007 wrote:So very true bro! One point of correction though. Kia is a paper brand. Their vehicles are based on Hyundai platforms and drivetrains. The uniqueness of a Kia is its design since the guts of the vehicle is all Hyundai. That said, the Sportage GDi 1.6 uses a variant of a motor found in the Elantra in other markets but I get what you’re saying.

So before I got the taste of more power I was quite fine with my lil 1.6 and 1.5 cars, revving and screaming it's heart out, but the extra power really does help, I barely if anytime ever go over 100 because I don't like stressing the engine in my car by revving it high, but it's such a difference with just hitting a 2000 rpm and reaching the speed limit so effortlessly and quickly vs screaming past 4000rpm just to hit 100km in some sort of reasonable year.

Like with the north coast road, it's so effortless and easy, I don't have to shift down gears or anything or worry about going up hills. One time I went paramin for parang, this was before covid and before I used to worry if my little 1.6 would make it, but that time I went with the Cruze, I didn't even worry because I knew the car had the torque to make it and it did it so impressively well.

Some people will say oh, ' yuh wha speed ' and 'fas ting' but the older I get the more I understand why my dad liked big engines or more powerful vehicles, when I throw 4 friends in and a cooler I won't stress because I know we will make it and won't roll down the hill.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » December 8th, 2021, 6:02 pm

kamakazi wrote:Make the most of what you have.

So Mazda released a Japan only Miata with a 1.5 engine cause somebody realized that you don't need a lot of power to have fun.

Should also try how it feels to have you foot to the floor almost all the time.
They always knew that, old mg and Morris knew that, those cars are tiny and act like go carts so yea a 1.5 would be more than enough, some people like to turbo them or chip them to get more power but I prefer bigger vehicles, it's a personal thing really.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » December 8th, 2021, 6:09 pm

Japan only means FU market would be having those.

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 8th, 2021, 8:05 pm

There's surprising and then there's "well yeah it's a xyz it fast"

The Cruze pulls it's a real fun car to drive. Feels like it's a na 2 litre. Definitely falls under that surprising category. Aftermarket support is great for bolt on parts (intake, exhaust, coil overs etc.) hardest thing to get is rims because it's an odd 5x105 bolt pattern.
Last edited by david12 on December 8th, 2021, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 8th, 2021, 9:02 pm

Zando, do I sense that you're in a predicament? Spoilt by the power to weight of the Cruze turbo but willing to accept a non turbo vehicl? Question is, what sedan (leaving crossovers out for now) could fill that void?

I personally saw a Cruze 1.4t obliterate a Kia Optima 2.0. I have a feeling the Mazda 6 2.0 won't stand a chance either but the Accord 1.5t for 425k is a good option.

If Zando and Drchaos is up for it, I would like to see some short mature highway pulls between said Cruze turbo vs the Civic turbo to understand what the gap would be like. If there's any properly functioning (lol) stock Jetta TSI's out there willing to join in, pm me let's organize something.

Sadly all those cars are dead locally except the Accord and Civic. The Accord can be the new sedan benchmark that gives us luxury, space, fuel economy and reasonable power/performance especially if you're not a crossover person.

In terms of crossovers now, only 3 reasonably priced ones I can think of that has that blended mix of reasonable power, economy and comfort etc would be the Tucson 1.6t, Eclipse Cross 1.5t and CRV 1.5t. I would actually love to see some highway pulls with these as well as an Equinox 1.5t.

Small engine with turbo Olympics lol.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » December 9th, 2021, 12:23 am

I'm up, let me know lol the civic is clearly faster but yea it'll be fun!! Would love to meet y'all.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 9th, 2021, 12:21 pm

I'll pm you.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » December 11th, 2021, 9:13 pm

I drove Sentra fabric for a few days, for a car that’s 190k, very disappointed in features and tech. Very basic car - not much changes from my 1994 Sunny Super Saloon.

I would classify it as a trouble free basic car, for anyone looking at a new car. I’d prefer the Mazda 3, Elantra or Cerato.

Mazda 3 is number 1.
Last edited by triniboi49 on December 11th, 2021, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 11th, 2021, 9:52 pm

Agreed. People complained about the CY Lancer on how Mitsubishi never really updated the car and sold it for about 11 years.

Nissan's B17 is out 9 yrs going into 10 and after getting 5 years to work on a competitor to Mitsubishi's CY, they released an inferior car where performance and crash safety is concerned. What a shame! It's like the only car Nissan benchmarked when they were making the B17 was the Bluebird Sylphy G11 which is another hideous looking lackluster car prone to a dashboard getting chicken pox. Thats the only thing the B17 is better than.

Also, the 4A91/2 engine combo appears to be more robust than the HR15/6 combo. I also have no reason to doubt if we line both up, the 4A92 will put the hurt on that HR16.

It was disappointing then and even more lackluster now. For me to pick a Kia Cerato over a Nissan product tells you something....

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » December 12th, 2021, 9:09 am

That B-17 is truly a basic car which is in typical Nissan form...easy and cheap to maintain once it is maintained.
However I will throw my hat in the ring anyone wishing to test a HR16 against fellow similar counterparts. I'm always up for challenge. Once I have had it to where the air is rare in the JDM market and it reached there very steadily.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 12th, 2021, 10:59 am

^^I'll also pm you.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » December 13th, 2021, 11:05 am

Dave wrote:That B-17 is truly a basic car which is in typical Nissan form...easy and cheap to maintain once it is maintained.
However I will throw my hat in the ring anyone wishing to test a HR16 against fellow similar counterparts. I'm always up for challenge. Once I have had it to where the air is rare in the JDM market and it reached there very steadily.

But at the price Massy quoting - you can local user options that will give you better utility - Corolla, Civic you can even get a uses SUV. The value to me does not make sense. And it’s not much - Apple Car Play/Android Auto. Rear Disk Breaks.

The deck straight out off early 2000s.

CloudBoi
Ricer

Postby CloudBoi » December 13th, 2021, 5:21 pm

This is a bit of a Hail Mary but if any of the 2 other people who pre-ordered on this current 2022 civic shipment frequent this thread, please pm me. Honda is doing some VERY bad business.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » December 13th, 2021, 6:18 pm

For some ppl that is an advantage.
triniboi49 wrote:
Dave wrote:That B-17 is truly a basic car which is in typical Nissan form...easy and cheap to maintain once it is maintained.

But at the price Massy quoting - you can local user options that will give you better utility - Corolla, Civic you can even get a uses SUV. The value to me does not make sense. And it’s not much - Apple Car Play/Android Auto. Rear Disk Breaks.

The deck straight out off early 2000s.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 13th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Is everything okay buddie?
CloudBoi wrote:This is a bit of a Hail Mary but if any of the 2 other people who pre-ordered on this current 2022 civic shipment frequent this thread, please pm me. Honda is doing some VERY bad business.

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 13th, 2021, 9:01 pm

CloudBoi wrote:This is a bit of a Hail Mary but if any of the 2 other people who pre-ordered on this current 2022 civic shipment frequent this thread, please pm me. Honda is doing some VERY bad business.
Give us some insight (no pun intended)

ALady4ALady
Ricer

Postby ALady4ALady » December 14th, 2021, 6:28 am

Season Greetings, all.

I had to go peer at what the new Honda Civic looks like.
It's got some grace; it's sporty; it's cute.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yqqRh_J8gw[/youtube]
Honda products are a bit more pricey [than usual] but considering the safety tech that they come with, I may be more understanding. Well, David12, waiting to hear what's the BB's about.

david12 wrote:
Give us some insight (no pun intended)

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » December 14th, 2021, 9:08 am

Previous generations of the CRV 2.0’s came with 2 airbags in base trim. With leather some got up to 4 airbags. With the 2.4 model, those came with 6 airbags. All came standard with all wheel disc brakes for the last 2 decades in our market with ABS. The new model continues the status quo, ie. 2 airbags for base fabric and 6 for leather.

CRV’s have historically been more expensive than an Xtrail yet in terms of safety equipment, the Xtrails gave us more. For example, all local Xtrails for the last 14 or so years came standard with 6 airbags whether you purchased the entry model or the top tier model. Same cannot be said for the CRVs of that era.

In fact, for the T31, those came standard 2.5 and cost less than the CRV 2.4 of that era. I am left to wonder why was this so? Perhaps Honda’s legendary ACE body structure has to count for something right?

Now the tables have turned. This current CRV is cheaper than the T32 because it enjoys less taxation. It actually is superior to the T32 in almost all key measurements and one has to be a complete nut case to by-pass a cheaper superior CRV to get an Xtrail that barely pushes past 140hp.

The 9th gen Civic broke a record for being one of the most expensive in the segment locally. I recall the very rare 1.8 VTi-S with sunroof was like $298k but with the IO package. Compare the safety cage of that Civic against the Corolla, Sentra, Mazda3, Elantra, Cerato, Cruze and Focus of that era and Honda comes out on top for safety. Then the R18 engine gave it a nice little punch that the others lacked except a Lancer GT. The sad thing is, even though the Lancer’s RISE 2 structure was ahead of it’s time, we got them with 2 airbags only. Other markets got up to 7 airbags where said Lancer was one of the first to boast of the inclusion of a driver’s knee airbag.

You all remember those days? The rare Corolla 1.8, Civic 1.8 and Lancer 2.0 were the 3 most expensive in the entire compact segment locally. That particular 1.8 Corolla came with leather, sunroof and 6 airbags as well but the safety cage iirc was not as good as the Civic and Lancer.

I’m expecting the 2022 Civic to be in the $300k range and it’s safety equipment may come close (we know it ain’t passing it) to the levels found in a Subaru vehicle equipped with EyeSight.

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Budget 6.5/ Now car audio advice thread

Postby david12 » December 14th, 2021, 9:54 am

In my opinion Honda in Trinidad of recent years has been aimed as an executive car (except the City). So prices were high and people who wanted a car with a certain status and Japanese reliability would buy a Honda. It's odd to say but a new Civic feels way ahead of a Lancer, Corolla, Sentra etc. The only real competition is the Korean cars with a ton of features and even these cars don't feel that special with the amount of them out there. Imagine a top tier CRV can cost something like 430k.

agent007
punchin NOS

Re: Budget 6.5/ Now car audio advice thread

Postby agent007 » December 14th, 2021, 10:14 am

The CRV and CX5 are tops imo. $430k and $360k respectively? Those are good deals all things considered. The Mazda's downfall is that we get them fwd and with no sunroof. When you compare it to a $490k Forester Massy is overdoing it with that price man.
david12 wrote:In my opinion Honda in Trinidad of recent years has been aimed as an executive car (except the City). So prices were high and people who wanted a car with a certain status and Japanese reliability would buy a Honda. It's odd to say but a new Civic feels way ahead of a Lancer, Corolla, Sentra etc. The only real competition is the Korean cars with a ton of features and even these cars don't feel that special with the amount of them out there. Imagine a top tier CRV can cost something like 430k.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”