TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby PariaMan » October 31st, 2022, 2:11 pm

kamakazi wrote:Problem if those cells ever catch fire.
Gasoline , Cng , Batteries

Any of those catches fire is trouble

Even the LPG in your house can catch fire and explode like a bomb

Fortunately the odds of these things happening is very small

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 31st, 2022, 3:51 pm

PariaMan wrote:
kamakazi wrote:Problem if those cells ever catch fire.
Gasoline , Cng , Batteries

Any of those catches fire is trouble

Even the LPG in your house can catch fire and explode like a bomb

Fortunately the odds of these things happening is very small
Should have said that putting the fire (lithium ion battery) out is the problem once it is started

Not dismissing the dangers of gasoline and other fuels

greggle71
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby greggle71 » October 31st, 2022, 8:43 pm

Electric is the way of the future it just is, 20 years seems far but I dare say not another ICE vehicle will ever be manufactured by 2040

My assumption is that as manufacturers transition their plants to build exclusive for electric more economies of scale will be derived and better cheaper battery technology as well. This will mean more options priced for mass market.

For T&T In theory charging stations will only be needed for public hire vehicles, the range of most vehicles for private use can cover most round trips in T&T, you can just charge at your residence.

I think being skeptical about EVs is fair, it’s relatively new tech, and still rare in the local market, I have no stats but I dare say it’s comfortably less than 5% of all vehicles. My own concern is less about flooding but general climate, markets with more EVs are generally temperate (Europe and North America) how do the battery cells and other components hold up under more tropical climate conditions long term under daily peak traffic

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » November 1st, 2022, 9:06 am

greggle71 wrote:Electric is the way of the future it just is, 20 years seems far but I dare say not another ICE vehicle will ever be manufactured by 2040

My assumption is that as manufacturers transition their plants to build exclusive for electric more economies of scale will be derived and better cheaper battery technology as well. This will mean more options priced for mass market.

For T&T In theory charging stations will only be needed for public hire vehicles, the range of most vehicles for private use can cover most round trips in T&T, you can just charge at your residence.

I think being skeptical about EVs is fair, it’s relatively new tech, and still rare in the local market, I have no stats but I dare say it’s comfortably less than 5% of all vehicles. My own concern is less about flooding but general climate, markets with more EVs are generally temperate (Europe and North America) how do the battery cells and other components hold up under more tropical climate conditions long term under daily peak traffic

In the real world the continents of Africa and Asia still exist. They also host 77% of the world's population.
You really think in 2040 those continents would be sufficiently developed to only allow electric car sales?

It's 2022 and the world still depends on coal for the majority of the electricity generated globally.
Capture.JPG

And to what end are we building electric cars when the energy mix is carbon heavy?
There are things which need to happen before mass adoption of electric vehicles.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » November 1st, 2022, 9:08 am

worksux101 wrote:Any thoughts on the LR defender?

I have never seen the inside of one but I have seen two locally on the roads - The UK Ambassador and one of the brothers from HADCO.

If I had money to play at that end of the market it's something I definitely would consider just from the looks alone. And if they are anything like the Defenders of old then quality concerns should not be an issue.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » November 1st, 2022, 2:22 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:

I have never seen the inside of one but I have seen two locally on the roads - The UK Ambassador and one of the brothers from HADCO.

If I had money to play at that end of the market it's something I definitely would consider just from the looks alone. And if they are anything like the Defenders of old then quality concerns should not be an issue.

Land rovers are notoriously unreliable and the new ones already carry on that reputation.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » November 1st, 2022, 5:33 pm

jamesblunt1 wrote:Does it make sense to have an electric vehicle if you have to pass through flood waters? I’m not sure if there’s a way they’re protected, but I’m thinking the electronics and water could never mix.

1) Unless you're drving something from the 1980s or a Lada Riva (j/k), most 90s onward cars have more electronics than most folks realise.

Brake/ABS/EBD sensors, speed sensors, electronic fuel pump(s), relays and solenoids galore, sensors on your transmission (probably - MMC cars had them IIRC since the CK) etc etc.

2) If you're worried that flood water can ruin your electric drivetrain, have no fear, it can just as easily ruin a conventional drivetrain of an average commuter car not designed for immersion.

If floodwater traversal is a regular issue, then a car is not for you at all. Get a high 4x4 or something else (electric or conventional) that is more suited to offroad use and can handle traversing streams/ standing water.

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » November 3rd, 2022, 1:27 pm

PariaMan wrote:Range is too small results in too many visits to gas station

Performance is reduced

With electric hybrid the opposite is true you get greater range and enhanced performance
Never had CNG but range seems comparable on Google

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » November 3rd, 2022, 1:40 pm

Range is about 220km
Depends on driving style

If you driving taxi or making long runs that's about 2 or 3 days

I do not about you buy I certainly not going gas station every 3days

I do about 440km ever 5 days

That's 2 trip to gas station trips every 5 days

That's double what I do in my pickup

For me that's too much

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » November 3rd, 2022, 1:50 pm

A guy on tuner said a full tank will take you from pos to sangre grande and back with 2 /3 of tank leaving 1/3

Meaning if you want to continue making another Trip using only cng then you have to go gas station

That is really not enough

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » November 6th, 2022, 12:16 am

Dizzy28 wrote:

Even the Defenders of old had major reliability issues...

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » November 7th, 2022, 12:13 pm

^ Guess its important to get a greater feedback. The people who I know owned Defenders are both beekeepers who have hives in some hard to reach places. They would vouch for it.

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » November 8th, 2022, 8:12 am

PariaMan wrote:A guy on tuner said a full tank will take you from pos to sangre grande and back with 2 /3 of tank leaving 1/3

Meaning if you want to continue making another Trip using only cng then you have to go gas station

But wouldn't the cost be significantly less?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » November 9th, 2022, 1:15 am

Yes but to many gas station visits
metalgear2095 wrote:
PariaMan wrote:A guy on tuner said a full tank will take you from pos to sangre grande and back with 2 /3 of tank leaving 1/3

But wouldn't the cost be significantly less?

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » November 9th, 2022, 11:18 am

I think most would overlook that if saving hundreds a month though

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » November 9th, 2022, 1:15 pm

metalgear2095 wrote:I think most would overlook that if saving hundreds a month though
Actually no that's one of the reason why it has never really taken off while hybrid battery has

More range yet cheaper to fuel

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » November 9th, 2022, 3:21 pm

I'd say it hasn't taken off because of the huge tank that's needed

kkallicharan
Street 2NR

Postby kkallicharan » November 9th, 2022, 4:36 pm

PariaMan wrote:
metalgear2095 wrote:I think most would overlook that if saving hundreds a month though
Actually no that's one of the reason why it has never really taken off while hybrid battery has

More range yet cheaper to fuel

I believe it depends on your personal situation. For example, my job requires me to be all over the country. I do possibly 1500km -2000km per month. My daily commute involves passing by St Christopher's, that CNG station by Aranguez, Trinicity gas station, that station by couva exit and the CNG gas station in Diego Martin next to Starlite. On long runs, I fill up CNG at the last station ie if Rio Claro, I fill at Couva etc. I rarely ever run out of CNG. Neither do I feel any lack of power using CNG and this is coming from owning a Sportero before. I put 1/4 tank of gasoline every 3 weeks or so. So right now I average about $300/month in gas doing 1500km-2000km per month. I paid $169,950 for that Honda City 2 yrs ago. Are there any Hybrids that can give you that kind of mileage/dollar? I'm sure electric cars could do better re mileage/dollar but I'm sure at a significantly higher cost price for the car.
If a CNG station isnt within your daily commute or close to your route, or you dont drive anywhere close to 1500km/mth at least, the actual dollar savings may not be worth it...maybe. And I'm sure this situation is more common than mine so it's understandable that CNG cars won't be more popular.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » November 9th, 2022, 6:39 pm

Guess it works for you

I personally hate to go gas stations

Would love to have an EV and start every morning with a full "tank"

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » November 12th, 2022, 4:44 am

Yep. You'll have to drive a good few years before you break even with an electric vs cng. For the average man CNG is still a great option.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » November 12th, 2022, 6:40 am

You more compare hybrid with cng. They are both mixed fuel

And people have already spoken about that . Watch how much hybrid on the road

To retrofit a car for 12000 doh make sense. By the time you make back your money time to sell

The EVs right now are too expensive that's a fact but the price will go down as choices increase as is happening in China where the Model y is cheaper than in the US.

It's just a matter of time

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » November 12th, 2022, 9:57 am

EVs are too expensive. The market needs more affordable options, similar to the Nissan Leaf.

I seeing it as still the era of the expensive huge cellphones, when anything with a camera and a colour screen was $2500 and up in 2002-2003 from TSTT.

Things will get cheaper for the budget commuter.

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » November 12th, 2022, 6:39 pm

Anyone knows the difference between the Mitsubishi eclipse cross dynamic and dynamic +?

snypaz
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snypaz » November 14th, 2022, 1:29 pm

A couple things. My Ioniq still gets 900km+ per tank on a full tank of gas. Some owners get more. Some get as low as 850km. So the cost does well for me cause I do more driving now because of work. Car on 110000+km on the odometer.

Also my new Kia Sportage, that I ordered since June, and was set to arrive in November, the sales rep is telling me now it's delayed again and now due to arrive in February. (Mind you I am seeing some on the roads but from what in understanding is most went to the south offices and persons waiting before me). I no longer feel like I want it.

Shalom Vanamson
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Shalom Vanamson » November 14th, 2022, 2:55 pm

snypaz wrote:A couple things. My Ioniq still gets 900km+ per tank on a full tank of gas. Some owners get more. Some get as low as 850km. So the cost does well for me cause I do more driving now because of work. Car on 110000+km on the odometer.

Also my new Kia Sportage, that I ordered since June, and was set to arrive in November, the sales rep is telling me now it's delayed again and now due to arrive in February. (Mind you I am seeing some on the roads but from what in understanding is most went to the south offices and persons waiting before me). I no longer feel like I want it.

By the time you get that vehicle the facelift would of already came out :lol:.Thats alot of run around but hey they say chip shortages :roll:

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » November 14th, 2022, 5:40 pm

Good news for anyone buying a SsangYong I really hope they bring the Torres.
Screenshot_20221114-173532__01.jpg

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » November 15th, 2022, 1:38 pm

Good news for lifestyle motors

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » November 16th, 2022, 11:22 am

Kenjo wrote:Good news for lifestyle motors

There is also a full EV version of the Korando.....think they call it the Korando e-Motion....would be interesting to see if they bring it.

While on LSM I saw that they have a new Hybrid Ertiga (mild Hybrid).....First hybrid vehicle in the Suzuki range to hit LSM's showroom. Quite possible that next year they may have more hybrid and EV options available......

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » November 17th, 2022, 4:49 am

Capleton wrote:

There is also a full EV version of the Korando.....think they call it the Korando e-Motion....would be interesting to see if they bring it.

While on LSM I saw that they have a new Hybrid Ertiga (mild Hybrid).....First hybrid vehicle in the Suzuki range to hit LSM's showroom. Quite possible that next year they may have more hybrid and EV options available......
Doesn't the s-cross have a mild hybrid set up also? Like barely hybrid to assist the engine.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » November 17th, 2022, 8:32 am

zando wrote:
Capleton wrote:

Doesn't the s-cross have a mild hybrid set up also? Like barely hybrid to assist the engine.

nah S-Cross they have has a 1.4L Turbo......There is a hybrid version but not currently in T&T (LSM)

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”