TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby Gladiator » April 8th, 2022, 9:37 pm

carluva wrote:
aaron17 wrote:Broooo.. the amount of Rubicon I seeing on the road makes me want one lol..
*in my dreams
Why?

I mean, it looks good and has some good tech.

But with a 3 star crash safety rating from ANCAP, solid axle instead of IFS (resulting in an unimpressive on road ride quality and handling), what is the appeal if you are not using it for the true off road machine it truly is?

Drove in one the other day (sport not rubicon) and the ride was way better than any of the current pickups on the road (Hilux, Frontier, Isuzu)... I don't know about the crash rating, but it sure felt a lot safer than most smaller vehicles on the road.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 9th, 2022, 12:52 pm

I’m looking forward to the HRV @ $389k getting a huge price drop as a result of the return to tax waivers for hybrids not passing 1600cc.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » April 9th, 2022, 1:28 pm

agent007 wrote:I’m looking forward to the HRV @ $389k getting a huge price drop as a result of the return to tax waivers for hybrids not passing 1600cc.
Wasn't that already removed?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » April 9th, 2022, 3:21 pm

zando wrote:
agent007 wrote:I’m looking forward to the HRV @ $389k getting a huge price drop as a result of the return to tax waivers for hybrids not passing 1600cc.
Wasn't that already removed?
No was for evs only .

Man say in May for the reintroduction of no taxes for hybrid

K_J_R
3NE 2NR for life

Postby K_J_R » April 10th, 2022, 10:17 am

it's not just engine size. electrical motor power and combined power rating is being considered.

the HRV will not meet this requirements.

not even an aqua will meet this requirements. Aqua has a 60kw electrical motor and 86 kW/115hpower total combined power.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1649599297022.jpg

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 10th, 2022, 11:06 am

Hey thanks, I responded to you in the other thread but we can discuss it more here if you want, thanks. Up to you.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » April 10th, 2022, 3:58 pm

K_J_R wrote:

it's not just engine size. electrical motor power and combined power rating is being considered.

the HRV will not meet this requirements.

not even an aqua will meet this requirements. Aqua has a 60kw electrical motor and 86 kW/115hpower total combined power.
Buh wta, the smallest hybrids have more than 78kw

Shalom Vanamson
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Shalom Vanamson » April 11th, 2022, 12:41 pm

If one of the smallest hybrid cars out there (Aqua) does not find itself under this "Tax Waiver" what would persons be able to purchase ? This is hysterical :lol:

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » April 11th, 2022, 12:54 pm

Shalom Vanamson wrote:If one of the smallest hybrid cars out there (Aqua) does not find itself under this "Tax Waiver" what would persons be able to purchase ? This is hysterical
Well we eh riot yet apparently

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » April 11th, 2022, 1:05 pm

And pretty sure we won't either.
Condiments mean more! Not even a leaf would qualify.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 11th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Fellas lol relax and don’t let some random tuner who relies on figures from gran turismo to scare you. Let the release come in May and we’ll take it from there.

**edit**

The whatsapp groups I'm a part of are lit with these discussions and some are posting nonsense. So I'll copy and paste this here:

78kW = 105hp thus vehicles like the Aqua, Fielder, Axio and Sienta Hybrids being 99hp got through unscathed.

Unfortunately it appears the Vezel, Note e-power, Niro and Ioniq hybrid did not. I'm hoping the final release on this is cleaned up a bit cause thus far based on the bacchanal I'm witnessing in these groups, people aren't pleased.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » April 12th, 2022, 3:33 am

agent007 wrote:Fellas lol relax and don’t let some random tuner who relies on figures from gran turismo to scare you. Let the release come in May and we’ll take it from there.

**edit**

The whatsapp groups I'm a part of are lit with these discussions and some are posting nonsense. So I'll copy and paste this here:

78kW = 105hp thus vehicles like the Aqua, Fielder, Axio and Sienta Hybrids being 99hp got through unscathed.

Unfortunately it appears the Vezel, Note e-power, Niro and Ioniq hybrid did not. I'm hoping the final release on this is cleaned up a bit cause thus far based on the bacchanal I'm witnessing in these groups, people aren't pleased.
Smh, other governments worldwide offering incentives to make buying hybrid/electric vehicles affordable, but no, our government with the most brilliant MoF (sarcasm) trying smart sheit to make it so people who want a decent hybrid/electric vehicle cannot get one at an affordable price, it's sickening and a slap in the face to the public.

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » April 12th, 2022, 7:53 am

so wondering here
Based on the exemption of duties on Hybrids what happens to the dealers who have stock currently ?
are they reducing price on older hybrid stock and claiming back from GOVT - MOT. ?
are they just selling the higher price ?
or the new stock will account for them to make back their profit margin ?
@ agent, carluva

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » April 12th, 2022, 7:57 am

mitch1980 wrote:so wondering here
Based on the exemption of duties on Hybrids what happens to the dealers who have stock currently ?
are they reducing price on older hybrid stock and claiming back from GOVT - MOT. ?
@ agent, carluva

Nothing will happen, prices will remain. In the next coming months prices will be the same as now or even more and the grey market will come up with another excuse why they need more money for their cars

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 12th, 2022, 8:14 am

The feedback coming in is that the proposal was not properly discussed with the relevant stakeholders. As such, based on the discussions happening in the background, let's see if there would be changes. All I can say for now is, if the current proposal nonsense prevails then this can possibly have a negative impact on some dealers.

assassin
Shifting into 6th

Postby assassin » April 12th, 2022, 8:53 am

As is the case with too many things, this was announced before it was properly developed.

Imbert says tax exemption only on lowest tier hybrid vehicles because ppl were abusing the exemption and buying luxury hybrid. Is there not a life long fuel savings and fuel subsidy savings through use of hybrid?

Why should it matter whether ppl buying aqua or X5? Government should be moving to push as many ppl as possible to hybrid or EV

Shalom Vanamson
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Shalom Vanamson » April 12th, 2022, 9:47 am

assassin wrote:As is the case with too many things, this was announced before it was properly developed.

Imbert says tax exemption only on lowest tier hybrid vehicles because ppl were abusing the exemption and buying luxury hybrid. Is there not a life long fuel savings and fuel subsidy savings through use of hybrid?

Why should it matter whether ppl buying aqua or X5? Government should be moving to push as many ppl as possible to hybrid or EV

I really dont understand the mentality or agenda behind the government ensuring that citizens of this country have a difficult time buying whichever Hybrid vehicle they so choose with the help of a tax concession. They gave us (reduced) engine size allowed under that tax break to 2000cc persons bought X trails, Prius, but the favorite seemed to be the X5, XC90s some Benzes and other BMWs. They saw that and basically got jealous revisited the incentive talkin about Foreign Exchange issues and the PURPOSE of the tax concession was not for buying LUXURY vehicles brought down the engine size requirement to 1600cc. That wasnt enough for them ofcourse they took that away, to now bring it back with all this rigmarole. No other country is making it this hard to purchase a Hybrid vehicle and it sucks that we have to be putting up with this.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 12th, 2022, 10:33 am

In Barbados and Singapore, vehicles are expensive and notice they using fuel prices in other countries as a means to justify our increase. So what is the picture being painted here? It's clear the agenda is to dissuade us from private means of transportation and rely more on public transport.

Don't be surprised they announce rapid rail part 2 on us. Gone are the days when we use to take we family on a Sunday drive. Now when we start our cars, it must be with a justifiable mission in mind.

In the meanwhile, I don't mind looking at some electric scooters for those short runs I have to make.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » April 12th, 2022, 10:37 am

Imberts aim has always been to help the 1 percent while appearing to help the 90 percent

Under the NAR when we had a problem with FOREX the approach was to restrict the importation of high end cars

Imberts response is to put back taxes on small vehicles for the small man

The UNC approach was to start the property tax with businesses

Imbert response was despite pleading from ministry officials is to start with private homes

Notice that he and Stuart are untouchables. Reason is that yhe master they serve is not Rowley so he cannot remove them

The UNC allowed 6 year old used vehicles . The PNM always try to shorten the period when they are in power

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » April 12th, 2022, 10:39 am

agent007 wrote:In Barbados and Singapore, vehicles are expensive and notice they using fuel prices in other countries as a means to justify our increase. So what is the picture being painted here? It's clear the agenda is to dissuade us from private means of transportation and rely more on public transport.

Don't be surprised they announce rapid rail part 2 on us. Gone are the days when we use to take we family on a Sunday drive. Now when we start our cars, it must be with a justifiable mission in mind.

In the meanwhile, I don't mind looking at some electric scooters for those short runs I have to make.
They logical thing would be to fix the public system first .

That is provided the powers that be actually care for the 99 percenters

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 12th, 2022, 9:00 pm

@ agent, carluva

Honestly speaking, car prices will not drop. The cost of the vehicles is a sunk cost. So the dealer has already expended that cost and will have to make it back up at the consumers' expense.

The general trend for vehicles world wide is an increase in cost. US, Europe, Australia all are seeing vehicle prices increase. Maybe not as exorbitantly as they are here, but increasing nonetheless.

Case in point, I have recently been alerted that the Hi-spec Hilux has increased by 10k. So, the great Hilux hi-spec will now set you back 405k compared to the 395k it was but a few weeks ago. And, bet your bottom dollar that this vehicle will probably cross 425k before year's end.

One has to be mindful that the Caribbean market, let alone T&T is not a huge market b any means when compared to say Australia. So, Toyota may get away with selling large quantities of Hiluxes in the Australia market (which they do as the Hilux is the #1 selling Ute in Australia) at a small margin but having to redirect some of their production line to T&T will mean a larger margin per production cost of vehicle. So from the factory, the vehicle is probably already a higher cost that the same vehicle destined for Australia. Then you have to factor the dealer markups and of course our horrific taxes. Ergo, the ridiculous prices.

Hybrids will be no different and yes, dealers will make their markup and continue to do so because consumers do not know how to bargain. Many consumers feel that they get a tint, mats and a free year GPS and they have come out good. But as I have repeatedly said, consumers have the power. However in our banana republic, we do not know how to exercise our power in a united front... This is so clear when I was told that Massy stocks of Frontiers are booked for the next two shipments. Imagine T&T consumers buy a vehicle before test driving it. But yet these same people will have to lime and court their significant other for years before making it official. Logic is not always logical.

We have to know how to bargain and how to leverage on contacts who may be able to bargain on our behalf.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 12th, 2022, 9:39 pm

PariaMan wrote:Imberts aim has always been to help the 1 percent while appearing to help the 90 percent

Under the NAR when we had a problem with FOREX the approach was to restrict the importation of high end cars

Imberts response is to put back taxes on small vehicles for the small man

The UNC approach was to start the property tax with businesses

Imbert response was despite pleading from ministry officials is to start with private homes

Notice that he and Stuart are untouchables. Reason is that yhe master they serve is not Rowley so he cannot remove them

The UNC allowed 6 year old used vehicles . The PNM always try to shorten the period when they are in power

Pariaman, as much as I wholeheartedly agree with everything you have said, consider the government looking at it from this angle.

Our esteemed Prime Minister knows the population of this country the way a parent knows his/her child. Have a look at how he has addressed our nation numerous times during the pandemic and was able to hit the nail on the head many, if not all times, especially when it related to the behaviour of our citizens.

Relevance? Trinidadians are all smart men who look for a loop hole and try to beat the system to benefit ourselves.

Remove taxes on laptops for the benefit of those in need of cost effective laptops and to support online learning - every Trini taking advantage to buy Surface and Macbooks and flouting on social media on the cheap price they paid.

Remove taxes on mobile phones - every Trini jump on the Galaxy S-whatever or Iphone 13 max blah blah.

Lower taxes for vehicles 1999cc and under a few years ago - Trinis start to buy the luxury vehicles.

Offer tax exemptions on hybrids - Trini looking to buy Tesla.

Yet, the same Trini complain that fuel price too high and water rates going up and electricity rates will skyrocket, but have excess money to buy luxury items, luxury cars etc.?

Yes I know we work hard to deserve and earn our amenities and luxuries, but the Government does not see it this way and rightfully so. If you have money to afford a Tesla or Benz or RR or Bentley etc, you damn well have money to pay taxes and damn well have money to buy gas and pay for electricity to charge your luxury car. So, as the MoF said so cleverly and truthfully: "They eh riot yet".

As long as we show that we are a materialistic society or have the money to buy that luxury item, the Government will always see it through the lens that these folks have more money so they can definitely afford the taxes.

And until we realise we have a strong voice as consumers, we will continue to take jam from all governments.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » April 13th, 2022, 12:44 am

carluva wrote:
@ agent, carluva

Honestly speaking, car prices will not drop. The cost of the vehicles is a sunk cost. So the dealer has already expended that cost and will have to make it back up at the consumers' expense.

The general trend for vehicles world wide is an increase in cost. US, Europe, Australia all are seeing vehicle prices increase. Maybe not as exorbitantly as they are here, but increasing nonetheless.

Case in point, I have recently been alerted that the Hi-spec Hilux has increased by 10k. So, the great Hilux hi-spec will now set you back 405k compared to the 395k it was but a few weeks ago. And, bet your bottom dollar that this vehicle will probably cross 425k before year's end.

One has to be mindful that the Caribbean market, let alone T&T is not a huge market b any means when compared to say Australia. So, Toyota may get away with selling large quantities of Hiluxes in the Australia market (which they do as the Hilux is the #1 selling Ute in Australia) at a small margin but having to redirect some of their production line to T&T will mean a larger margin per production cost of vehicle. So from the factory, the vehicle is probably already a higher cost that the same vehicle destined for Australia. Then you have to factor the dealer markups and of course our horrific taxes. Ergo, the ridiculous prices.

Hybrids will be no different and yes, dealers will make their markup and continue to do so because consumers do not know how to bargain. Many consumers feel that they get a tint, mats and a free year GPS and they have come out good. But as I have repeatedly said, consumers have the power. However in our banana republic, we do not know how to exercise our power in a united front... This is so clear when I was told that Massy stocks of Frontiers are booked for the next two shipments. Imagine T&T consumers buy a vehicle before test driving it. But yet these same people will have to lime and court their significant other for years before making it official. Logic is not always logical.

We have to know how to bargain and how to leverage on contacts who may be able to bargain on our behalf.
Can you give us a crash course on how to bargain with these dealers?

Also Australia afaik only has a population of 27 million or so for being such a huge country, so saying X vehicle is the best selling in that country doesn't mean much.

I agree that vehicle prices are rising, however it's not at the same margin here as other countries as those other countries have multiple dealers selling the same brand so there is competition which reduces prices or at least gives you better negotiating power, buying vehicles in Trinidad is like going up against the kobayashi Maru, if you like star trek, you know it's a no win situation matter what you do.

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » April 13th, 2022, 6:25 am

I read this discussion occasionally and all i see are people stating problems but not even trying to suggest a solution.
The problem is the politicians and dealers are one entity out to make as much money as possible,smiling in your face and telling you they care while fcuking you in the bank account.

We were told under no uncertain circumstances that if we want anything we have to riot but as usual the only people to listen and act and get what they want always are the people of the Beetham.
So since trinis too arrogant to act to get anything done the next laziest thing to do is education. It won't be as effective but it's a step in the right direction until somebody comes up with a better one.

Take this same discussion and make it public on social media and try to educate as many people as possible about how they are being raped when it comes to new cars in this country. Monitor vehicle prices with the lists on page 1 so people can see over time how prices have changed.

It can't be that all the members of the government and opposition are driving range rovers and Porsche but the general public must drive aqua and note because fuel prices high and cars expensive in Barbados and Singapore. Trinis dotish awah?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 13th, 2022, 4:02 pm

Suzuki fan boys would be pleased to know that the all new 2022 S-Cross 1.4T is on its way.

Shalom Vanamson
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Shalom Vanamson » April 14th, 2022, 9:02 am

Skanky wrote:I read this discussion occasionally and all i see are people stating problems but not even trying to suggest a solution.
The problem is the politicians and dealers are one entity out to make as much money as possible,smiling in your face and telling you they care while fcuking you in the bank account.

We were told under no uncertain circumstances that if we want anything we have to riot but as usual the only people to listen and act and get what they want always are the people of the Beetham.
So since trinis too arrogant to act to get anything done the next laziest thing to do is education. It won't be as effective but it's a step in the right direction until somebody comes up with a better one.

Take this same discussion and make it public on social media and try to educate as many people as possible about how they are being raped when it comes to new cars in this country. Monitor vehicle prices with the lists on page 1 so people can see over time how prices have changed.

It can't be that all the members of the government and opposition are driving range rovers and Porsche but the general public must drive aqua and note because fuel prices high and cars expensive in Barbados and Singapore. Trinis dotish awah?

Honestly people need to be educated about this whole Hybrid and Electric thing especially where tax concessions are given. Persons seem to be comfortable with the notion of if you can afford those hybrid luxury vehicles with a tax break you could afford to pay for them without a tax break in other words you could pay the tax....Rubbish. The government has literally gone out their and continue to do so in ENSURING that only them or a certain class of society drive specific vehicles (luxury brands) whereas everyone else drives Aquas and those class of vehicles.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » April 14th, 2022, 1:43 pm

carluva wrote:. . . This is so clear when I was told that Massy stocks of Frontiers are booked for the next two shipments. Imagine T&T consumers buy a vehicle before test driving it. But yet these same people will have to lime and court their significant other for years before making it official. Logic is not always logical.

:| If you eh get the significant other right, that mistake go cost you a hell of a lot more than a low quality frontier pickup truck.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » April 14th, 2022, 1:45 pm

agent007 wrote:Suzuki fan boys would be pleased to know that the all new 2022 S-Cross 1.4T is on its way.

Any word on if the Vitara with that engine will be coming our way?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 14th, 2022, 2:04 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
carluva wrote:. . . This is so clear when I was told that Massy stocks of Frontiers are booked for the next two shipments. Imagine T&T consumers buy a vehicle before test driving it. But yet these same people will have to lime and court their significant other for years before making it official. Logic is not always logical.

:| If you eh get the significant other right, that mistake go cost you a hell of a lot more than a low quality frontier pickup truck.

:D

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 14th, 2022, 2:31 pm

zando wrote:Can you give us a crash course on how to bargain with these dealers?

Unfortunately, no. I will make a few pertinent points.

Dress properly. Who will be taken more seriously between the buyer with the short pants, cap and flip flops and smelling green OR the buyer who is at least wearing a nice pair of Dockers, a properly ironed shirt with a good pair of office shoes and smelling fresh and clean? And if you are able to get a meeting with a Sales Manager or even better, a General Manager, remember these are very senior persons you are meeting so dress the part when meeting with these offices.

Your success in bargaining starts with one simple action - demonstrating you are serious about the purchase. A serious purchaser is one who makes the refundable deposit to secure the vehicle for a week or two, during which time you attempt to seek a better price. Even so, if you know you are taking the vehicle and are not out to waste time, you may be better off making a larger deposit on the vehicle whilst you try to have the meaningful conversations. This shows your are certain on buying into the brand and gives the seller confidence your are not here to BS them.

How many customers walk into a showroom to look at a vehicle and stupidly ask "Waz de best price ah cud geh on de cyar?" Do these people honestly think a sales rep will take you seriously? I am sure many here have sold a vehicle on the second hand market (and purchased as well). How do you feel when someone calls you on your vehicle and then asks that stupid question? How do you respond?

G'luck.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”