TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

agent007
punchin NOS

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby agent007 » October 10th, 2021, 11:38 am

There’s only 5 compact crossovers with a 2.0 NA engine locally. The Qashqai, ASX, CX-3, CX-30 and XV. The CX-3 is no longer imported with the 2.0 though as SS bringing them with the 1.5 now and similarly the XV’s are coming 1.6 now. Anyway, if you line up all of the 2.0s and do some acceleration and roll runs, the 2 that would come out on top would be the Mazda’s. So a CX-30 2.0 for $300k is not a bad deal at all. Knowing what you’re accustomed with I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with that skyactiv 2.0.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » October 10th, 2021, 12:30 pm

agent007 wrote:There’s only 5 compact crossovers with a 2.0 NA engine locally. The Qashqai, ASX, CX-3, CX-30 and XV. The CX-3 is no longer imported with the 2.0 though as SS bringing them with the 1.5 now and similarly the XV’s are coming 1.6 now. Anyway, if you line up all of the 2.0s and do some acceleration and roll runs, the 2 that would come out on top would be the Mazda’s. So a CX-30 2.0 for $300k is not a bad deal at all. Knowing what you’re accustomed with I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with that skyactiv 2.0.
Yea boy, those Mazdas are great to drive, my dad had a Mazda 6, the older version with a 2.3 and that thing used to love to spin tyres lol the Cruze doesn't let you do that easily at all, it's fast in its own way, in terms of power delivery, more subdued, it's not a raucous stop light racer which I think is how most turbo charged cars are at least the small engine turbos, it has that push you back in the seat gently kind of way about it, more torque than the mazda, which is why I think I like a 2.0 na or above better they're more lively.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 10th, 2021, 9:52 pm

Your dad has taste. I remember those 2.3’s very well. SS imported a few of those and they were identifiable with the split exhaust and sunroof. I think those sold for around $275k back then.

Anyway, I was literally just notified that the new Qashqai is coming so I did some googling and saw it’s a 1.3T with a mild hybrid system. This should be interesting.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 11th, 2021, 7:35 am

I saw the new Isuzu Dmax on the highway this weekend.

It's a gorgeous vehicle. Not sure which spec it was but still appealing.

Driving alongside the Dmax (with my window down) I was struck by the quietness of the engine. Compared to the old Dmax, this model's engine noise is reduced. Could be the fact that it is brand new so time will tell how it holds up.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » October 11th, 2021, 10:15 am

carluva wrote:I saw the new Isuzu Dmax on the highway this weekend.

It's a gorgeous vehicle. Not sure which spec it was but still appealing.

Driving alongside the Dmax (with my window down) I was struck by the quietness of the engine. Compared to the old Dmax, this model's engine noise is reduced. Could be the fact that it is brand new so time will tell how it holds up.

Hey do you remember the colour of the DMAX you saw?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 11th, 2021, 10:30 am

A blue TEB series.

Was it you? Saturday PM northbound lane of hiway.

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » October 11th, 2021, 12:31 pm

11th gen Type R

a little disappointed with the styling on this model, nowhere as aggressive styling as the FK8 CTR which is what drew me to it in the first place

i guess they might be appealing to the more mainstream market who may not fancy the over the top styling

waiting to see what power looks like
1228948732.jpg
2057853931.jpg
971691374.jpg
1704029040.jpg

Shalom Vanamson
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Shalom Vanamson » October 11th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Saw MG just released their new electric SUV and the updated ZS EV.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 11th, 2021, 6:17 pm

A172, the 11th gen Civic design is a “F” on a whole. Your Type R is a lot nicer to look at. Subaru messed up as well with the new WRX design. Yuck..

A172

Postby A172 » October 11th, 2021, 6:58 pm

yes the new wrx is pure failure, especially those wheel arches. STi design don't vary much from wrx so not expecting anything mindblowing

usually when new cars come out they are always an improvement over last gen but i don't know what happened with ctr & wrx/sti

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » October 11th, 2021, 10:14 pm

carluva wrote:A blue TEB series.

Was it you? Saturday PM northbound lane of hiway.

Sorry no no... I dont have a Dmax yet.... but I saw a silver that looked good. I want to see the fully loaded one that SS bringing. They have none to show at the moment. I would keep a lookout for that blue.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » October 12th, 2021, 2:05 pm

A172 wrote:
11th gen Type R

a little disappointed with the styling on this model, nowhere as aggressive styling as the FK8 CTR which is what drew me to it in the first place

i guess they might be appealing to the more mainstream market who may not fancy the over the top styling

waiting to see what power looks like1704029040.jpg971691374.jpg2057853931.jpg1228948732.jpg

much preferred the back of the fk2

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » October 12th, 2021, 3:55 pm

Guys,

I’m looking for a vehicle for my mom. She short listed her choices to be between the mid spec Corolla cross and the fully loaded Subaru XV. The XV is cheaper by about 30k

XV has loads more features than the Corolla Cross but the 1.6 Cvt feels anaemic compared to, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, the Toyota. But that carries a 1.8 CVT.
The Corolla Cross actually feels more connected to the road too. Surprisingly.

Cons of the Corolla Cross:
No infotainment screen so no apple CarPlay, no reversing camera, etc
Fabric seats (although mom prefer fabric)
Manual seats
Halogen headlights. No DRL.

Pros of the Corolla Cross
9 airbags.
More powerful and responsive drivetrain.
It’s a Toyota

My mom is leaning towards the Toyota mainly cuz it’s higher and looks more SUVish and it’s a Toyota. They purchased a Corolla, Rav4 and Camry from the firm in the past.
But the XV is obviously more value for money.

My only other qualm about the Corolla cross is that it being a new model with a new engine/transmission? So not much research around and I’m not sure about it’s reliability etc.

Anyone has any opinions or info to help make a decision?

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » October 12th, 2021, 4:06 pm

agent007 wrote:Your dad has taste. I remember those 2.3’s very well. SS imported a few of those and they were identifiable with the split exhaust and sunroof. I think those sold for around $275k back then.

Anyway, I was literally just notified that the new Qashqai is coming so I did some googling and saw it’s a 1.3T with a mild hybrid system. This should be interesting.

This is the 1.3 Nissan/Renault motor? Same in the new Mercs?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 12th, 2021, 11:10 pm

Hi Scott,

Firstly your mom has good taste. Both are good vehicles, however the CC is fwd only with a lower ground clearance than the XV.

The XV may be slower but I doubt Mom would be utilizing every horse the diminutive FB16 has to offer 100% of the time in all of her typical commutes. With our poor roads, excessive traffic and random road blocks/speed traps etc, the XV seems perfectly adequate.

Also, I need clarification on that airbag count. AFAIK, both carry 7 (frontal, front seat mounted side, knee and full length curtains).

The XV EyeSight package is exactly $30k cheaper than the mid spec CC which is what you alluded to. Said CC has nothing comparable to Subaru’s EyeSight system so another major advantage here.

From a body structure perspective (minus the help of airbags and EyeSight) it is in my opinion that the Subie would still be far superior to the CC.

Lastly, having the assurance of permanent symmetrical AWD with X-Mode which has been regarded by automotive pundits across the globe to be far superior to the typical AWD setup found in scores of other competitors to me helps the XV win this comparo hands down. Did I mention the XV is built in Japan? To me it’s an honor to still drive/own a Jap branded vehicle built in the good ole land of the rising sun and we all know about Nippon’s history of TQM in their production/manufacturing processes. Is the CC built there too or are they coming from Thailand?

About your concern on the engine being new on the CC, you would be pleased to know that the engine code is 2ZR-FE. That engine can be found in a handful of Corolla E14x units imported via TTTL and via roro. The Atkinson cycle variant bearing “FXE” in its last 3 letters made its way in the 3rd and 4th gen Prius (we have quite a few locally, more so the 3rd gen), the Prius V which is the 7 seat version, Voxy hybrid, Lexus CT (yes there’s a few on our roads) and the CHR hybrid. So I don’t think engine parts ought to be too much of a concern. The CVT transmission is probably supplied by Aisin so I think you should be fine here as well. All in all, I don’t think if your Mom chooses the CC that she would be facing issues anytime in the immediate future and even if she does, there’s always warranty for it.

RE: reference to the 1.3T Renault/Nissan engine, you’re correct!

I was talking to a roro CLA180 AMG owner just recently and I raised a geeky fun fact with him about having a Nissan engine under the hood and he basically told me that I was absurd to think that. “An AMG Benz would neva share an engine with ah Nissan”. He believes his engine is hand crafted in an AMG factory. Poor fella, I knew he was a bit off thinking he in the game with his “AMG” built car and “hand crafted” engine. One day he will question life when a Jetta/Cruze/Civic turbo opens a can of cuta$$ on him.

scotty_buttons
Riding on 18's

Postby scotty_buttons » October 13th, 2021, 11:54 pm

agent007 wrote:Hi Scott,

Firstly your mom has good taste. Both are good vehicles, however the CC is fwd only with a lower ground clearance than the XV.

The XV may be slower but I doubt Mom would be utilizing every horse the diminutive FB16 has to offer 100% of the time in all of her typical commutes. With our poor roads, excessive traffic and random road blocks/speed traps etc, the XV seems perfectly adequate.

Also, I need clarification on that airbag count. AFAIK, both carry 7 (frontal, front seat mounted side, knee and full length curtains).

The XV EyeSight package is exactly $30k cheaper than the mid spec CC which is what you alluded to. Said CC has nothing comparable to Subaru’s EyeSight system so another major advantage here.

From a body structure perspective (minus the help of airbags and EyeSight) it is in my opinion that the Subie would still be far superior to the CC.

Lastly, having the assurance of permanent symmetrical AWD with X-Mode which has been regarded by automotive pundits across the globe to be far superior to the typical AWD setup found in scores of other competitors to me helps the XV win this comparo hands down. Did I mention the XV is built in Japan? To me it’s an honor to still drive/own a Jap branded vehicle built in the good ole land of the rising sun and we all know about Nippon’s history of TQM in their production/manufacturing processes. Is the CC built there too or are they coming from Thailand?

About your concern on the engine being new on the CC, you would be pleased to know that the engine code is 2ZR-FE. That engine can be found in a handful of Corolla E14x units imported via TTTL and via roro. The Atkinson cycle variant bearing “FXE” in its last 3 letters made its way in the 3rd and 4th gen Prius (we have quite a few locally, more so the 3rd gen), the Prius V which is the 7 seat version, Voxy hybrid, Lexus CT (yes there’s a few on our roads) and the CHR hybrid. So I don’t think engine parts ought to be too much of a concern. The CVT transmission is probably supplied by Aisin so I think you should be fine here as well. All in all, I don’t think if your Mom chooses the CC that she would be facing issues anytime in the immediate future and even if she does, there’s always warranty for it.

RE: reference to the 1.3T Renault/Nissan engine, you’re correct!

I was talking to a roro CLA180 AMG owner just recently and I raised a geeky fun fact with him about having a Nissan engine under the hood and he basically told me that I was absurd to think that. “An AMG Benz would neva share an engine with ah Nissan”. He believes his engine is hand crafted in an AMG factory. Poor fella, I knew he was a bit off thinking he in the game with his “AMG” built car and “hand crafted” engine. One day he will question life when a Jetta/Cruze/Civic turbo opens a can of cuta$$ on him.

Thanks for your always helpful input, Agent!

I’m personally leaning towards the XV as well for the same reasons above. Unfortunately, my mom’s opinion of higher seating position, and Toyota name outshines most of the benefits of the XV.

Sitting inside the Corolla Cross is really a depressing place to be.

The salesperson and manager told me that the CC has 9 airbags. I took that as fact but didn’t double check myself.

And LOL at the guy thinking he has a handcrafted AMG engine. Poor fella. I just nod and say ok with those kinds of people yes. Only way that 1.3T Merc gonna give any of those vehicles any competition, is if it’s in the CLA250e

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » October 14th, 2021, 7:28 am

scotty_buttons wrote:. . .Unfortunately, my mom’s opinion of higher seating position, and Toyota name outshines most of the benefits of the XV. . .

Tell your Mom that Toyota owns 20% of Subaru. So the XV is 20% Toyota.

mtec
Street 2NR

Postby mtec » October 14th, 2021, 8:25 am

The XV has slightly higher ground clearance than the CC.
Comparable the CC probably has a higher mounting position for the driver's seat but check the XV's seat controls for scope of height adjustment. The CC is a new model and wears the Corolla name proudly, I can't see it fading away any time soon. On the flipside the XV is great value (IMO) and the overall package, namely the AWD and safety sealed the deal for me.

foss

Postby foss » October 14th, 2021, 9:38 am

If I was in the market for a car.. the XV would be my choice hands down

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 14th, 2021, 4:35 pm

The XV and Vitara AllGrip should be selling way more than nonsense like Creta, Venue, Seltos and Sonet.

I have personally seen how capable an AllGrip Vitara is and also got the opportunity to see one that was completely written off in a major accident and the driver walked away.

Subaru's are on a whole different level of safety. That safety cage is based on alien technology. Ask the top garages in this country to strip a modern Subaru based on their new SGP and watch the seems, spot welding, use of ultra high strength steel, watch the subframe mounting points and suspension and steering design. Research exactly why the AWD is given the term symmetrical and understand how torque is distributed to all wheels. Finally, those boxer engines are mounted longitudinally as opposed to transverse.

An early 2000s Subaru Impreza TS would embarass many new cars today in crash safety so you can only imagine the torsional rigidity of a modern Subaru frame.

Without a turbo we know they slow. We've been poking fun at them for years because of that. What can we expect from an engine that propels 4 wheels all of the time? The end result will be less whp per wheel as opposed to a fwd vehicle.

Like I've mentioned many times before, take the opportunity while you all can to purchase your XVs and Vitara AllGrips while you can. They both use port injected EFI as opposed to DI which stands a better chance with our fuel quality and gas stations with pump filters that probably never change before. Soon the market will no longer offer any port injected engines so it would be DI right through which would kinda suck from an engine head maintenance standpoint.

The RAV4 and Eclipse Cross uses both DI and port injection in their engines. Brilliant engineering I call that but unfortunately both are fwd only for our market.
Last edited by agent007 on October 14th, 2021, 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 14th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Another selling point for the Vitara is 5 years/100k km warranty.

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » October 14th, 2021, 5:26 pm

agent007 wrote:The XV and Vitara AllGrip should be selling way more than nonsense like Creta, Venue, Seltos and Sonet.

I have personally seen how capable an AllGrip Vitara is and also got the opportunity to see one that was completely written off in a major accident and the driver walked away.

Subaru's are on a whole different level of safety. That safety cage is based on alien technology. Ask the top garages in this country to strip a modern Subaru based on their new SGP and watch the seems, spot welding, use of ultra high strength steel, watch the subframe mounting points and suspension and steering design. Research exactly why the AWD is given the term symmetrical and understand how torque is distributed to all wheels. Finally, those boxer engines are mounted longitudinally as opposed to transverse.

An early 2000s Subaru Impreza TS would embarass many new cars today in crash safety so you can only imagine the torsional rigidity of a modern Subaru frame.

Without a turbo we know they slow. We've been poking fun at them for years because of that. What can we expect from an engine that propels 4 wheels all of the time? The end result will be less whp per wheel as opposed to a fwd vehicle.

Like I've mentioned many times before, take the opportunity while you all can to purchase your XVs and Vitara AllGrips while you can. They both use port injected EFI as opposed to DI which stands a better chance with our fuel quality and gas stations with pump filters that probably never change before. Soon the market will no longer offer any port injected engines so it would be DI right through which would kinda suck from an engine head maintenance standpoint.

The RAV4 and Eclipse Cross uses both DI and port injection in their engines. Brilliant engineering I call that but unfortunately both are fwd only for our market.
The XV and Impreza ( if they keep it around ) has a high change of getting a 1.5 turbo boxer for their next models, as far as I saw it's a rumour but I think Subaru will have no choice but to go that route as other manufacturers are doing that, maybe they might make it an xt version, who knows but I predict it will happen.

mtec
Street 2NR

Postby mtec » October 14th, 2021, 9:05 pm

Many years ago I went to a garage in La Romain to get some paint work done. They just got a Forester Cross Sport to work on which was in an accident. The garage owner said it flipped at least 4 times and I thought he was exaggerating. At that time I knew nothing about Subaru. To my eyes the cabin/cell basically maintained full shape. Panels damaged, windscreen and windows broken but you wouldn't look at it and think it rolled multiple times. I once read that Subaru engineers their vehicles to meet and exceed safety tests/standards of future requirements.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » October 14th, 2021, 10:13 pm

foss wrote:If I was in the market for a car.. the XV would be my choice hands down

Ditto, especially after Agent's analysis. And well tbh, I am in the market but neither can hold 3 car seats so..meh. :cry:

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » October 15th, 2021, 9:01 am

Having owned a couple subbies, I can tell you that they are pretty well built and can take jamming. Only down side is that I never liked working on the engine. Boxer engine set up is pretty tight on space in the engine bay and makes doing some simple things like changing spark plugs and rocker cover gaskets a real pain in the ass.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 15th, 2021, 10:47 am

Zando, you’re right. They will release the 1.5t soon. Currently they already have the 1.6t, 1.8t, 2.0t, 2.4t and 2.5t. I just found it strange given their current inventory, why subject the heavy for its class XV/Crosstrek and Forester with those NA 1.6, 2.0 and 2.5 engines.

Maybe they wanted to go for a little more reliability and fuel economy but the market demands more power especially more torque on the lower rev range which turbos satisfy.

Capleton, one thing I’ve learnt about Subaru engines is that you need to service it on time. Keep missing those key servicing areas and it would be problems. Long time engines like Toyota 4A-FE, 5A-FE, 4E-FE and Nissan engines like GA16DE, GA15DE, SR18DE and SR20DE continue to be reliable even when abused, but with Subaru, it demands that you change oil on time and always maintain the correct viscosity otherwise you’re screwed.

You may have to correct me if I’m wrong here but I think the FB has more clearance between the coil pack and the frame vs an EJ or EL engine. I mean it won’t be much but I took a roro GP2 to a garage and saw the mechanic change the plugs without having to remove much except the battery and air box.

Mtec, that’s so true. I will feel safer seated inside a 21yr old TS than a 10 yr old Tiida or a brand new B17.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » October 15th, 2021, 11:17 am

I like vitara.which crossover is better for bad roads?

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » October 15th, 2021, 12:02 pm

agent007 wrote:Zando, you’re right. They will release the 1.5t soon. Currently they already have the 1.6t, 1.8t, 2.0t, 2.4t and 2.5t. I just found it strange given their current inventory, why subject the heavy for its class XV/Crosstrek and Forester with those NA 1.6, 2.0 and 2.5 engines.

Maybe they wanted to go for a little more reliability and fuel economy but the market demands more power especially more torque on the lower rev range which turbos satisfy.

Capleton, one thing I’ve learnt about Subaru engines is that you need to service it on time. Keep missing those key servicing areas and it would be problems. Long time engines like Toyota 4A-FE, 5A-FE, 4E-FE and Nissan engines like GA16DE, GA15DE, SR18DE and SR20DE continue to be reliable even when abused, but with Subaru, it demands that you change oil on time and always maintain the correct viscosity otherwise you’re screwed.

You may have to correct me if I’m wrong here but I think the FB has more clearance between the coil pack and the frame vs an EJ or EL engine. I mean it won’t be much but I took a roro GP2 to a garage and saw the mechanic change the plugs without having to remove much except the battery and air box.

Mtec, that’s so true. I will feel safer seated inside a 21yr old TS than a 10 yr old Tiida or a brand new B17.

Yea battery, air filter box needed to be taken out to get access. But from a DIY perspective, I hated having to do this as opposed to a traditional mounted engine. Used to basically service my SG5 Fozzy and yes, service is the key. But for the most part the EJ20 stood up pretty well. Only recurrent issue I had with the SG5 XT model were transmission solenoids, that was the achilles heel of the XT Forester. But I would still stand behind the Fozz. Once I was pelting down the hway (1am) and my centre diff basically imploded (pinion, crown smashed to bits). Not a wrecker in sight, but ole reliable got me home on rear diff alone, albeit i crawled at 20kph!

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 15th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Aaron, the Toyota Rush is easily overlooked but it’s not a crossover per say. It’s actually a body on frame vehicle with a longitudinal engine powering the rear wheels with a more conventional 4AT torque converter transmission. No CVT or DCT here. It’s ground clearance is best in class which is same as the Subarus at 220mm.

So if you don’t necessarily need AWD or 4WD, the Rush is perfectly capable of navigating its way through rough and undulating terrain and I reckon it’s sheer simplicity is its core strength. Lacking tons of electronics and fancy gizmos etc means the Rush theoretically can last a long time and before I forget, it uses a regular port fuel injection system. No direct injection here.

Capleton, awesome experience there….it took you back home on the rear diff! Makes me wanna walk in Massy and relieve them of a new Forester lol (but can’t).

noobie
Street 2NR

Postby noobie » October 16th, 2021, 10:31 am

Gladiator wrote:
Wolfgang123 wrote:Good day tuners, what are the prices for the BMW 3 series right now?

320i Active $490,000.00
320i MSport $615,000.00
320i Sportline $540,000.00

March 2021 prices

So the 3 Series with the 240+ Horse power, I think that is called the 330, that would be more than $615,000? :roll: So BMW have effectively priced themselves out of the market? I don't understand this.

You can get an Audi Q5 2.0 252hp for 566,000 and those Audi interiors are beautiful.
The A4 is 525,000 with all wheel drive.
The forums don't have the price of any 2.0 engine Mercedes Benzs. but the C Class with the 1.6 engine is 464,000.

The price of what is supposed to be the mid-range Sedan from BMW, the 3-series, is just way way out of whack with the pricing of other 2.0 engine luxury models. Why?? :?

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”