TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Re: T&T OFFICIAL New Vehicle Prices & Discussion Thread

Postby A172 » October 16th, 2021, 12:08 pm

cus nobody coming outside to see your brand new audi

triniboi49
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniboi49 » October 16th, 2021, 4:29 pm

agent007 wrote:Hi Scott,

Firstly your mom has good taste. Both are good vehicles, however the CC is fwd only with a lower ground clearance than the XV.

The XV may be slower but I doubt Mom would be utilizing every horse the diminutive FB16 has to offer 100% of the time in all of her typical commutes. With our poor roads, excessive traffic and random road blocks/speed traps etc, the XV seems perfectly adequate.

Also, I need clarification on that airbag count. AFAIK, both carry 7 (frontal, front seat mounted side, knee and full length curtains).

The XV EyeSight package is exactly $30k cheaper than the mid spec CC which is what you alluded to. Said CC has nothing comparable to Subaru’s EyeSight system so another major advantage here.

From a body structure perspective (minus the help of airbags and EyeSight) it is in my opinion that the Subie would still be far superior to the CC.

Lastly, having the assurance of permanent symmetrical AWD with X-Mode which has been regarded by automotive pundits across the globe to be far superior to the typical AWD setup found in scores of other competitors to me helps the XV win this comparo hands down. Did I mention the XV is built in Japan? To me it’s an honor to still drive/own a Jap branded vehicle built in the good ole land of the rising sun and we all know about Nippon’s history of TQM in their production/manufacturing processes. Is the CC built there too or are they coming from Thailand?

About your concern on the engine being new on the CC, you would be pleased to know that the engine code is 2ZR-FE. That engine can be found in a handful of Corolla E14x units imported via TTTL and via roro. The Atkinson cycle variant bearing “FXE” in its last 3 letters made its way in the 3rd and 4th gen Prius (we have quite a few locally, more so the 3rd gen), the Prius V which is the 7 seat version, Voxy hybrid, Lexus CT (yes there’s a few on our roads) and the CHR hybrid. So I don’t think engine parts ought to be too much of a concern. The CVT transmission is probably supplied by Aisin so I think you should be fine here as well. All in all, I don’t think if your Mom chooses the CC that she would be facing issues anytime in the immediate future and even if she does, there’s always warranty for it.

RE: reference to the 1.3T Renault/Nissan engine, you’re correct!

I was talking to a roro CLA180 AMG owner just recently and I raised a geeky fun fact with him about having a Nissan engine under the hood and he basically told me that I was absurd to think that. “An AMG Benz would neva share an engine with ah Nissan”. He believes his engine is hand crafted in an AMG factory. Poor fella, I knew he was a bit off thinking he in the game with his “AMG” built car and “hand crafted” engine. One day he will question life when a Jetta/Cruze/Civic turbo opens a can of cuta$$ on him.

If rear cargo space is not an issue - the XV EyeSight. Really car.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 16th, 2021, 8:43 pm

RWD platforms are more expensive to engineer and produce than a fwd one, so it explains why a 3 series should be more expensive than an A4.

Capleton
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Capleton » October 19th, 2021, 9:42 am

A172 wrote:cus nobody coming outside to see your brand new audi

Br00tal! lolz. In that price range I would def wanna gape a Jeep Gladiator. No offense to Audi.

ABM28
Riding on 13's

Postby ABM28 » October 19th, 2021, 11:55 am

good day everyone. i am currently looking to buy a new vehicle and i am more inclined towards going the route of buying an SUV. my options currently are between the BMW X3/4, the mercedes GLC and an Audi Q5. would anyone be able to tell me what would be my best bet in terms of reliability, performance, features and overall value?

simplejack
Sweet on this forum

Postby simplejack » October 19th, 2021, 12:05 pm

Hey tuner,

The CX-30 Core and the Subaru XV mid-spec are around the same price (CX core = $288k and XV 1.6i-S = $289k). Seems like the majority of the tuners stated the XV is the best bang for your buck but any Mazda enthusiasts had any thoughts? Or is the XV the best value crossover?

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » October 19th, 2021, 12:56 pm

simplejack wrote:Hey tuner,

The CX-30 Core and the Subaru XV mid-spec are around the same price (CX core = $288k and XV 1.6i-S = $289k). Seems like the majority of the tuners stated the XV is the best bang for your buck but any Mazda enthusiasts had any thoughts? Or is the XV the best value crossover?

Aren't you comparing a FWD (Mazda) to an AWD (Subaru) vehicle? You are comparing apples and oranges.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 19th, 2021, 1:02 pm

I don't think you need awd to harness all the HP coming out of that 1.6...
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Aren't you comparing a FWD (Mazda) to an AWD (Subaru) vehicle? You are comparing apples and oranges.

simplejack
Sweet on this forum

Postby simplejack » October 19th, 2021, 1:47 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:

fair enough, if you had that budget which would you choose then? the XV because of the AWD and safety aspect over the Mazda?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 19th, 2021, 2:39 pm

ABM28 wrote:good day everyone. i am currently looking to buy a new vehicle and i am more inclined towards going the route of buying an SUV. my options currently are between the BMW X3/4, the mercedes GLC and an Audi Q5. would anyone be able to tell me what would be my best bet in terms of reliability, performance, features and overall value?

I expect the GLC/X3 to be more reliable than the Q5. I also expect the Benz-bimmer combo to maintain a better resale value. Now don’t mistake “more reliable” to be at RAV4 and as of late CX5 levels eh. Reliable in the context of a German vehicle lol.

I would pick the X3 cause the GLC is ready to be changed out but that could very well be “more reliable” than the incoming product as they usually are. If you like it fresh then wait for the all new GLC, if you don’t mind the current GLC300 4MATIC then it’s still not a bad choice. Find out which transmission it carries whether 9G-Tronic or 7G-Tronic….I understand the former is better.

If it were me, I would choose the X3. It cheaper and more spacious than an X4 and they both share the same underpinnings. Choice is clear here…X3 especially with the ZF 8HP transmission.

ABM28
Riding on 13's

Postby ABM28 » October 19th, 2021, 2:44 pm

agent007 wrote:
ABM28 wrote:good day everyone. i am currently looking to buy a new vehicle and i am more inclined towards going the route of buying an SUV. my options currently are between the BMW X3/4, the mercedes GLC and an Audi Q5. would anyone be able to tell me what would be my best bet in terms of reliability, performance, features and overall value?

I expect the GLC/X3 to be more reliable than the Q5. I also expect the Benz-bimmer combo to maintain a better resale value. Now don’t mistake “more reliable” to be at RAV4 and as of late CX5 levels eh. Reliable in the context of a German vehicle lol.

I would pick the X3 cause the GLC is ready to be changed out but that could very well be “more reliable” than the incoming product as they usually are. If you like it fresh then wait for the all new GLC, if you don’t mind the current GLC300 4MATIC then it’s still not a bad choice. Find out which transmission it carries whether 9G-Tronic or 7G-Tronic….I understand the former is better.

If it were me, I would choose the X3. It cheaper and more spacious than an X4 and they both share the same underpinnings. Choice is clear here…X3 especially with the ZF 8HP transmission.

thank you for this insightful answer. truth be told i was leaning more towards the X3 but i think i'll wait until the new GLC drops and see what the pricing is like.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 19th, 2021, 2:46 pm

It’s all a matter of personal opinion at this point. You’ve already narrowed yourself to two genuinely Japanese produced crossovers. Toss a coin or pick 1 after a test drive. This one is tough to pick a winner out of the 2. It’s like trying to separate Cambridge from Oxford or Halle Berry from Tyra Banks or Gold from Diamonds. If you want that extra power and truly attractive design both inside and out then Mazda for it. If you want the assurance of awd and that great Subaru ground clearance then Subie it is. You just need to sit and figure out which one will fit nice in your lifestyle. I’m just glad you did not mention anything Kia.

simplejack
Sweet on this forum

Postby simplejack » October 19th, 2021, 2:53 pm

agent007 wrote:

It’s all a matter of personal opinion at this point. You’ve already narrowed yourself to two genuinely Japanese produced crossovers. Toss a coin or pick 1 after a test drive. This one is tough to pick a winner out of the 2. It’s like trying to separate Cambridge from Oxford or Halle Berry from Tyra Banks or Gold from Diamonds. If you want that extra power and truly attractive design both inside and out then Mazda for it. If you want the assurance of awd and that great Subaru ground clearance then Subie it is. You just need to sit and figure out which one will fit nice in your lifestyle. I’m just glad you did not mention anything Kia.

Thanks Agent. Yeah, I rather stick with Jap and that's the price range I am looking at. Mazda always has that physical appeal and the 2litre engine though I know Subie AWD and safety is a great selling point and the 1.6 still decent.

The question is servicing/parts/reliability, in terms of those issues which might be the less stressful to own?

mtec
Street 2NR

Postby mtec » October 19th, 2021, 5:51 pm

That's a tough question. A couple things to consider.
1.The CX-30 is a little more simple in mechanical terms because its FWD and conventional auto transmission.
XV is AWD & CVT but that doesn't necessarily make it less reliable. Subaru is on point these days.
2. Locally there are a lot more XV's on our roads but that doesn't mean the company stocks more service parts than the company selling the CX-30. Personally I wouldn't worry about the availability of filters & brake pads etc, these can be sourced easily outside the dealership. That's for both cars. For other parts I can't say.
3. Everyone has good and bad stories about dealerships.
I've heard many about the two in question. My ownership/dealership experience with the XV thus far is complaint free. I'm very specific with them when it goes to service and I ask them questions like if I actually built the car.
Don't let dealership name stop you from buying what you like. Just buy, service on time everytime and maintain your warranty. If you want to break your warranty and service elsewhere just keep in mind you can't run to them if something major happens. The possibility of buying a lemon or a car with defect is always possible and it may not present itself on day one.
4. Both are highly rated and for good reason. Test drive them on their regular test route and request to drive elsewhere. I tested the XV on some hills as that's my regular drive and I drove it like I normally drive. Look for the features most important to you, make a list of all your questions for the rep, including about parts etc, test drive both and buy what you like.

mtec
Street 2NR

Postby mtec » October 19th, 2021, 6:01 pm

I think that spec XV you're considering is currently $279K

simplejack
Sweet on this forum

Postby simplejack » October 19th, 2021, 7:40 pm

mtec wrote:That's a tough question. A couple things to consider.
1.The CX-30 is a little more simple in mechanical terms because its FWD and conventional auto transmission.
XV is AWD & CVT but that doesn't necessarily make it less reliable. Subaru is on point these days.
2. Locally there are a lot more XV's on our roads but that doesn't mean the company stocks more service parts than the company selling the CX-30. Personally I wouldn't worry about the availability of filters & brake pads etc, these can be sourced easily outside the dealership. That's for both cars. For other parts I can't say.
3. Everyone has good and bad stories about dealerships.
I've heard many about the two in question. My ownership/dealership experience with the XV thus far is complaint free. I'm very specific with them when it goes to service and I ask them questions like if I actually built the car.
Don't let dealership name stop you from buying what you like. Just buy, service on time everytime and maintain your warranty. If you want to break your warranty and service elsewhere just keep in mind you can't run to them if something major happens. The possibility of buying a lemon or a car with defect is always possible and it may not present itself on day one.
4. Both are highly rated and for good reason. Test drive them on their regular test route and request to drive elsewhere. I tested the XV on some hills as that's my regular drive and I drove it like I normally drive. Look for the features most important to you, make a list of all your questions for the rep, including about parts etc, test drive both and buy what you like.

Appreciate this detailed response. You're also right that model is 279k! Makes sense that is probably the better option but that mazda is a looker!

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » October 19th, 2021, 10:14 pm

simplejack wrote:
agent007 wrote:

Thanks Agent. Yeah, I rather stick with Jap and that's the price range I am looking at. Mazda always has that physical appeal and the 2litre engine though I know Subie AWD and safety is a great selling point and the 1.6 still decent.

The question is servicing/parts/reliability, in terms of those issues which might be the less stressful to own?
In theory the mazda. It's fwd and uses a 6AT transmission. Subaru would have an additional diff to maintain as the vehicle ages and flat 4 engines would require a little more intervention at old age than a transverse inline 4.

I need confirmation on this though but the CX-30's head unit display screen is not touch based. Driver must use the rotary "commander" control knob at all times. Whereas with the subie, the screen can be touched whether the gear lever is in P or D.

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » October 19th, 2021, 10:35 pm

I’m admittedly biased but I’d take the mazda. Better looking, better driving dynamics and nothing could convince me I need AWD in trinidad especially mated to a 1.6 CVT
And correct the mazda is not touch screen but I’ve grown accustomed to the rotary wheel. Most things are wet and forget or controlled from steering for me.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » October 20th, 2021, 7:29 am

simplejack wrote:fair enough, if you had that budget which would you choose then? the XV because of the AWD and safety aspect over the Mazda?

I occasionally go off road with my vehicle, not places where you need low range gearing, but where a normal car can't go. So when I was purchasing a vehicle a few years ago, I went with the AWD Suzuki Vitara AllGrip.

If I had to buy a vehicle now, and from the choices you have listed, I would go with the Subaru XV based on my needs.

mtec
Street 2NR

Postby mtec » October 20th, 2021, 8:11 am

How has your ownership experience been with the Vitara AWD? I've never heard complaints about them and they seem like excellent value. Its currently in my top 3 right now for a new vehicle. I personally know someone who drove through flood, got it professionally cleaned the next day and no gremlins or issues.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » October 20th, 2021, 8:21 am

agent007 wrote:Aaron, the Toyota Rush is easily overlooked but it’s not a crossover per say. It’s actually a body on frame vehicle with a longitudinal engine powering the rear wheels with a more conventional 4AT torque converter transmission. No CVT or DCT here. It’s ground clearance is best in class which is same as the Subarus at 220mm.

So if you don’t necessarily need AWD or 4WD, the Rush is perfectly capable of navigating its way through rough and undulating terrain and I reckon it’s sheer simplicity is its core strength. Lacking tons of electronics and fancy gizmos etc means the Rush theoretically can last a long time and before I forget, it uses a regular port fuel injection system. No direct injection here.

Capleton, awesome experience there….it took you back home on the rear diff! Makes me wanna walk in Massy and relieve them of a new Forester lol (but can’t).
Thanks..wish the toyota had a wider stance.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » October 20th, 2021, 12:57 pm

mtec wrote:How has your ownership experience been with the Vitara AWD? I've never heard complaints about them and they seem like excellent value. Its currently in my top 3 right now for a new vehicle. I personally know someone who drove through flood, got it professionally cleaned the next day and no gremlins or issues.

There have been a few issues namely:

1) Two power window switches stopped working - Repaired under warranty
2) Driver's side windshield wiper arm spring lost its elasticity and stopped the wiper from contacting the windshield fully - Repaired under warranty
3) Transmission in first few months used to shift harshly in lower gears - Transmission reprogrammed at 5000km service and has been okay since

Other than the above, the vehicle has been trouble free. It will be five years since I bought it this November and that will be the end of the warranty period (the vehicle is doing just over 76,000km). I will see how it stands up after that.

Service costs at Lifestyle have not been much different to other dealerships that I have experience with (Diamond, Massy and TTTL).

I would recommend the AllGrip model to others based on my experience so far. In my opinion, the AllGrip model is value for money.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 20th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Honestly.

Save your money. Buy a Vitara, an XV or even a Forester with eyesight. With the money saved, you can invest in something more worthwhile rather than dumping the money into a less reliable German vehicle which will have a much higher cost of ownership throughout the time it's yours.
ABM28 wrote:
agent007 wrote:

thank you for this insightful answer. truth be told i was leaning more towards the X3 but i think i'll wait until the new GLC drops and see what the pricing is like.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » October 21st, 2021, 12:54 am

agent007 wrote:

The q5 reliability coupled with ssl service makes it a no no (I've had two vehicles from them and never again).
The glc is the most comfy of the bunch, but I've heard too many negative things about sterling.
Personally chose the x4 initially, but while waiting rented an x1 in icy conditions and fell in love with it. Handles well, decent power, good size and as much cabin room as the x3/4. Consider it if trunk space and ground clearance isn't an issue, and you'd like sumn a bit smaller.

To break it down simply
Exterior - subjective. The glc coupe was my fav
Interior/features - the Audi is the most techy, Merc the most luxurious, bmw the most functional
Performance/comfort - x4 the most powerful, but like most bmw's generally offers a stiffer ride. Glc was the most refined (a bit too much roll for me). Q5 a good balance. The x1 isn't as powerful but being lighter is more than sufficient. Handles brilliantly for fwd.
Overall value - they're German cars in a jap dominated market. Don't buy in this price range if you're looking for value. That said, the bmw has been as reliable as anything I've owned...and this is my 6th SUV. Service costs similar, but resale is less.
You buy German for the drive/feel. You can get almost all the same features in the JDMs. I've had each of the last few CRVs, second to last RAV4 and driven quite a few others. Apart from the cx5 (which I only drove for 20mins if so much), none can compare to the dynamics of any of the 4 I listed.
If youre not into the joy of driving and not using it as some sort of status symbol, look jap. Otherwise, I'd suggest taking a few long test drives and deciding yourself. Best of luck!

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » October 21st, 2021, 3:27 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
mtec wrote:How has your ownership experience been with the Vitara AWD? I've never heard complaints about them and they seem like excellent value. Its currently in my top 3 right now for a new vehicle. I personally know someone who drove through flood, got it professionally cleaned the next day and no gremlins or issues.

There have been a few issues namely:

1) Two power window switches stopped working - Repaired under warranty
2) Driver's side windshield wiper arm spring lost its elasticity and stopped the wiper from contacting the windshield fully - Repaired under warranty
3) Transmission in first few months used to shift harshly in lower gears - Transmission reprogrammed at 5000km service and has been okay since

Other than the above, the vehicle has been trouble free. It will be five years since I bought it this November and that will be the end of the warranty period (the vehicle is doing just over 76,000km). I will see how it stands up after that.

Service costs at Lifestyle have not been much different to other dealerships that I have experience with (Diamond, Massy and TTTL).

I would recommend the AllGrip model to others based on my experience so far. In my opinion, the AllGrip model is value for money.
Thanks for feedback. What u recommend in the lighting department to see better at night?

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » October 21st, 2021, 7:47 am

aaron17 wrote:Thanks for feedback. What u recommend in the lighting department to see better at night?

I find the stock headlights on the Suzuki to be fine for me. I never had any trouble with them, even in heavy rain in the night. However, I am sure the Germans with their high tech wizardry may provide better illumination, but I am in no position to confirm how much better.

Perhaps, the BMW, Audi and MB guys can contribute to this discussion.

ABM28
Riding on 13's

Postby ABM28 » October 21st, 2021, 1:54 pm

worksux101 wrote:
agent007 wrote:

The q5 reliability coupled with ssl service makes it a no no (I've had two vehicles from them and never again).
The glc is the most comfy of the bunch, but I've heard too many negative things about sterling.
Personally chose the x4 initially, but while waiting rented an x1 in icy conditions and fell in love with it. Handles well, decent power, good size and as much cabin room as the x3/4. Consider it if trunk space and ground clearance isn't an issue, and you'd like sumn a bit smaller.

To break it down simply
Exterior - subjective. The glc coupe was my fav
Interior/features - the Audi is the most techy, Merc the most luxurious, bmw the most functional
Performance/comfort - x4 the most powerful, but like most bmw's generally offers a stiffer ride. Glc was the most refined (a bit too much roll for me). Q5 a good balance. The x1 isn't as powerful but being lighter is more than sufficient. Handles brilliantly for fwd.
Overall value - they're German cars in a jap dominated market. Don't buy in this price range if you're looking for value. That said, the bmw has been as reliable as anything I've owned...and this is my 6th SUV. Service costs similar, but resale is less.
You buy German for the drive/feel. You can get almost all the same features in the JDMs. I've had each of the last few CRVs, second to last RAV4 and driven quite a few others. Apart from the cx5 (which I only drove for 20mins if so much), none can compare to the dynamics of any of the 4 I listed.
If youre not into the joy of driving and not using it as some sort of status symbol, look jap. Otherwise, I'd suggest taking a few long test drives and deciding yourself. Best of luck!

So I did some more research and haven’t heard good things about Audi at all so I think I’m gonna steer clear of that. TBH I checked the new rav4 but personally I don’t think the price is justified considering the features that it comes with. I also don’t wanna go the crv route cause I currently have a 10th gen civic and when I checked out the crv and sat in it I felt like I was in the civic except a little higher off the ground. Also with the price they’re calling for the new crv I figured I would just spend a little extra and go for a German car this round.

I’m leaning more towards bmw as I’ve heard good things regarding reliability. Resale value isn’t a concern as I’m planning on keeping it a long time. I got quoted 665k for the x3 m sport and 705k for the 2022 x4 m sport. I’m just trying to decide if I’d rather spend the extra 40k for the sleeker look of the x4 considering both vehicles are built on the same platform.

A172

Postby A172 » October 21st, 2021, 4:21 pm

my old 2013 F30 over 120k kms with its current owner and all that car ever did was change oil and filters, not even a sensor

can't speak on the G20 as that's less than 2 years old and doesn't have much kms on it

these are vehicles imported from Japan though, not sure how the local ones fare

zando
Trinituner Peong

Postby zando » October 22nd, 2021, 12:05 am

So I see massy giving 4 year warranties for the MG's I wonder if they will last that long

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » October 22nd, 2021, 8:22 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
aaron17 wrote:Thanks for feedback. What u recommend in the lighting department to see better at night?

I find the stock headlights on the Suzuki to be fine for me. I never had any trouble with them, even in heavy rain in the night. However, I am sure the Germans with their high tech wizardry may provide better illumination, but I am in no position to confirm how much better.

Perhaps, the BMW, Audi and MB guys can contribute to this discussion.

How does it fare in bad roads? I currently on sedan with 225/45/r17.
I want to be confident in bad roads.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”