TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The Official Car Care Thread

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

superstainless1250
3NE 2NR for life

Re: The Official Car Care Thread

Postby superstainless1250 » June 3rd, 2021, 9:39 am

Hey I tried Karcher polish an wax an my van came out really gud saw a big difference
carluva wrote:It probably wasn't but for all that I read, an extra coat of protection wouldn't hurt. Honestly, the carnuba wax added a much different gloss compared to the ICE paste wax alone. Alot more gloss.

The ICE paste wax is really great. It's a bit hard to remove, especially if it stays too long before buffing off.

I used Mother's before and then tried Meguiars. I am just waiting for the Meguiars to finish and then I'll try something else. I am eyeing the Autoglym as the next product to try. I used some of their products (spray wax, trim gel, tar remover) and found them to be really great, better than the Mother's and Meguiars counterparts. Hopefully the same will apply to the polishes.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » June 6th, 2021, 1:59 pm

It all makes sense now Carluva. I understand why you’re in no hurry to purchase a new vehicle especially some poser crossover typically discussed in the new vehicle thread. Your Fortuner is really beautiful and well done for taking so good care of her.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 6th, 2021, 5:48 pm

glad to hear it!

I don't try to sound like a new car snob on that thread and hope I don't, but, IMO, my well taken care of vehicles and well maintained vehicles always exceed what is available on the car market. Especially when one considers the cost involved.

Standby for the RAV4. I'll be waxing that soon and will post pics of the same.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 6th, 2021, 6:01 pm

Can you send some pics of the product and the end result?
superstainless1250 wrote:Hey I tried Karcher polish an wax an my van came out really gud saw a big difference
carluva wrote:It probably wasn't but for all that I read, an extra coat of protection wouldn't hurt. Honestly, the carnuba wax added a much different gloss compared to the ICE paste wax alone. Alot more gloss.

The ICE paste wax is really great. It's a bit hard to remove, especially if it stays too long before buffing off.

I used Mother's before and then tried Meguiars. I am just waiting for the Meguiars to finish and then I'll try something else. I am eyeing the Autoglym as the next product to try. I used some of their products (spray wax, trim gel, tar remover) and found them to be really great, better than the Mother's and Meguiars counterparts. Hopefully the same will apply to the polishes.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 7th, 2021, 10:28 am

Reason for the repaint?
carluva wrote:Doing my van at the moment. It was painted in January. It's been left to off gas for more than 3 months.

Wash, iron remover, clay bar, polish with Meguiars 205 polish, turtle Wax paste sealant wax and now applying the final Meguiars yellow carnuba wax. Pics will be posted when done.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 7th, 2021, 11:33 am

kamakazi wrote:Reason for the repaint?

I bought the vehicle second hand back in October-2016. The engine was is fantastic condition as were the interior rear seats which were virtually unused. The body however had a few dents and scratches as the previous owner seemed to misjudge the size on more than one occasion and therefore banged up the vehicle here and there.

The vehicle was purchased nonetheless as I was able to negotiate a good price. The vehicle was taken to a straightener. However, he did not do a good job and did not address all of the dents. Additionally, the right side of the vehicle was flashed over on all but the rear door... Now, the straightener is very good as I have used him for 10+ years whenever body work is needed. My wife was due with our child in November-2016 and I was rushing the straightener to finish the vehicle as we needed to have the vehicle before the wifey's due date. Consequently the quality of work was not up to the best standard, but this was due to me rushing the straightener and him not having the right amount of time to do a good job.

The vehicle looked good, to be honest, and was meticulously maintained. But being the "perfectionist" that I am, I noticed the small flaws such especially the slight variation in colour on the right side of the vehicle which glaringly stood out to me. Of course, as this vehicle is a daily drive, between 2016 to 2020, several imperfections came up, including stone chips and the odd ding on the door due to another vehicle's door opening on ours.

I had always intended to do over the vehicle to address the flaws and make the colour uniform but held off on doing this as we were unsure whether we'd change out the vehicle. Between 2018-2019, we made the decision to keep this vehicle until. So, the reason for the repaint was to address all imperfections on the body work as we knew we'd hold on to this vehicle for as long as possible. The opportunity was also taken to address scuffs on the door jambs.

No - the vehicle was not involved in any accidents.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 7th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Was just wondering what had happened to the paint before. The attention and level of work put into it now, wouldn't have allowed it to reach the respray phase in the first place.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 7th, 2021, 2:35 pm

Oh absolutely. With proper care and maintenance of bodywork, washing, polishing and most importantly, waxing, there is no reason why the paint work shouldn't last a good while.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 20th, 2021, 1:00 pm

Right....
So lewwe deal with this here

Undercarriage dressing/protection/shockoil
For under the fenders, suspension/drivetrain components and the bottom of the cab itself.

I stopped using shock oil at the car wash about a year now.
So i looking at other options that can be applied at home.

So armorall and its bootleg variants disappear after 1 drive on a rainy day.

I dont subscribe to the diesel/oil mixes being touted at them budget carwashes

I tried amsoil mudslinger, it thinks is re-bottled WD40 in a crappier can.

I tried chemical guys barebones, too labour intensive

What it have out there that safe and easy-ish to apply?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 20th, 2021, 8:29 pm

I need some advice on how to wash along the door seals on my vehicle.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 21st, 2021, 1:41 pm

https://youtu.be/1qRi4bT_t3Q

https://youtu.be/YQxb_EMWm68

Personally, I use the hose on a small fine spray to wash and rinse and small brush or rag using car shampoo.

Any overspray is no worry as it's easily wiped off and car doors typically get more wet when the doors are opened in the rain.
kamakazi wrote:I need some advice on how to wash along the door seals on my vehicle.

FineToothDetailing
3NE 2NR for life

Ask A detailer

Postby FineToothDetailing » August 9th, 2021, 5:20 am

Hey guys. Just started my own detailing business. Trust me when I say there is alot of misunderstanding in this profession. From marketing hype from companies who retail products to psuedo experts who keep the misinformation alive.

I'm not saying I'm the best nor am I saying that someone else cannot produce results with what they use. All I am saying is that there is Alot of misinformation out there. So feel free to ask me anything. Part of my mission is to educate. We can all win from more information. Also there may be guys who can't get results and they have no clue as to why. So I'm creating this tread to serve that purpose.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Ask A detailer

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 9th, 2021, 1:08 pm

How good are touchless washes?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 9th, 2021, 3:01 pm

I need to re chrome my steering wheel emblem.Took my car to a carwash and by the next day, the chrome came off

rexsmith
3NE 2NR for life

Postby rexsmith » August 9th, 2021, 3:24 pm

Can I use diluted all purpose cleaner to wipe door upholstery and dashboards?

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » August 9th, 2021, 3:36 pm

They say to wash->clay bar->buff->wash ->ceramic coat.

Is it really necessary to clay bar and buff... or just buff sould do???

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 9th, 2021, 3:53 pm

them pipers who does be liming by bars or food places with a bucket and a sponge and a bottle of squeezy and washing for a $30

how yuh rank them on a scale of 1-10 ?

Zalos
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Zalos » August 9th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Whats a good extractor solution?
Breeze and water not cutting it for these seats

Brad32
Ricer

Postby Brad32 » August 9th, 2021, 5:25 pm

Anyone who has a bissel little green extractor to sell or know of where i can purchase one?

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abducted » August 9th, 2021, 5:36 pm

Brad32 wrote:Anyone who has a bissel little green extractor to sell or know of where i can purchase one?

Do these work well? Compared to what the pros use

Brad32
Ricer

Postby Brad32 » August 9th, 2021, 6:25 pm

abducted wrote:
Brad32 wrote:Anyone who has a bissel little green extractor to sell or know of where i can purchase one?

Do these work well? Compared to what the pros use

For the price they work really good but not as good as higher end models

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 9th, 2021, 6:46 pm

yall ever watch this guy's YT videos ? https://www.youtube.com/c/TheDetailGeek/videos

ppl does let their rides get rel stink n dutty with even garbage & food in it & bring it to this dude to clean ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 9th, 2021, 7:04 pm

i have one and it works pretty good
however i have seat covers which i wash every few months and use the bissell maybe once or twice a year

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 9th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Are there any decent budget DA polishers

FineToothDetailing
3NE 2NR for life

Postby FineToothDetailing » August 9th, 2021, 7:37 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:How good are touchless washes?
If your car is already well maintained they do a good job. The Main risk is the pressure of the water and the strength of the chemicals involved. Especially if parts of the vehicle are not properly intact.

FineToothDetailing
3NE 2NR for life

Postby FineToothDetailing » August 9th, 2021, 7:39 pm

timelapse wrote:I need to re chrome my steering wheel emblem.Took my car to a carwash and by the next day, the chrome came off
Sorry to hear that. The best thing to do in that case is replace the emblem. I personally cannot do that service and it can get worse if the person who tries to do it doesn't know what they are doing.

FineToothDetailing
3NE 2NR for life

Postby FineToothDetailing » August 9th, 2021, 7:40 pm

rexsmith wrote:Can I use diluted all purpose cleaner to wipe door upholstery and dashboards?
Yes you can! Ensure it's diluted to the point where it won't damage anything but will still clean areas effectively. Never use anything pure.

FineToothDetailing
3NE 2NR for life

Postby FineToothDetailing » August 9th, 2021, 7:46 pm

Gladiator wrote:They say to wash->clay bar->buff->wash ->ceramic coat.

Is it really necessary to clay bar and buff... or just buff sould do???
Really depends on the condition of the paint. The reason the process is structured that way is because the ceramic coating is a semi permanent coating. So however it turn out is how it will remain unless you start all over again. After the buff you can wipe the paint with a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water 50/50 and skip the wash. Use a microfiber cloth to decrease the chances of scratching. Just a buff can work but you have to be 100 percent satisfied with the paint before you coat it.

FineToothDetailing
3NE 2NR for life

Postby FineToothDetailing » August 9th, 2021, 7:48 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:them pipers who does be liming by bars or food places with a bucket and a sponge and a bottle of squeezy and washing for a $30

how yuh rank them on a scale of 1-10 ?
Well I does have to fix the scratches they put on vehicles sometimes. They get a 4. Cuz they don't know much and they hustling. 1s is for carwash and carwashes that know better and still damage the car.

FineToothDetailing
3NE 2NR for life

Postby FineToothDetailing » August 9th, 2021, 7:52 pm

Zalos wrote:Whats a good extractor solution?
Breeze and water not cutting it for these seats
Simple green All purpose cleaner works.
1. Dilute it to suit.
2. What kind of stains are they?
3. Scrub before you extract.
Sometimes the seats can be so bad that you can't fully bring them back.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”