TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

LF: mineral spirits to clean protective oil coating off ; WTK:grinding down new bucket tappets for valve clearance?

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

viper1
Street 2NR

LF: mineral spirits to clean protective oil coating off ; WTK:grinding down new bucket tappets for valve clearance?

Postby viper1 » April 27th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Good day guys I am looking for mineral spirits...where can I purchase it?need to get today or tmr for the latest...would any hardware store carry this?need it to clean the oil off of some aftermarket cams I bought.
And just another question do all the valve tappets need to be changed to their original sizes for proper valve clearance or do I first need to measure the current valve clearance and make the appropriate calculations for the sizes to purchase? It's the bucket type not hydraulic lifters.
Vehicle is an evo x. Cams are kelford 214-b stage 2.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by viper1 on May 16th, 2019, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: LF: mineral spirits to clean protective oil coating off aftermarket cams

Postby *KRONIK* » April 28th, 2019, 9:48 am

Cant use acetone on the cams?

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » April 30th, 2019, 4:03 pm

brake part cleaner would work
for bucket tappets, you need to measure each set and work out what thickness shims to use to get the right clearance

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 30th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Use turpentine substitute or paint thinner. Even better results if you use citric degreaser because it's nonflammable, nontoxic and water soluble.

viper1
Street 2NR

Postby viper1 » May 16th, 2019, 3:52 am

MG Man wrote:brake part cleaner would work
for bucket tappets, you need to measure each set and work out what thickness shims to use to get the right clearance

thanks guys went with the brake cleaner....

now next thing was going to do exactly what u said for the thickness as new ones must be used but went with my mechanic's advice and just bought the sizes stamped at the bottom of each bucket but now he has to shave them down to get the proper clearance...seeing these aren't adjustable or use shims is this ok to perform as from what i've read the first 20 mins are the most important time for cam and new bucket tappets

MG Man
2NRholic

Re: LF: mineral spirits to clean protective oil coating off ; WTK:grinding down new bucket tappets for valve clearance?

Postby MG Man » May 16th, 2019, 8:03 am

no clue abut shaving down bucket tappets. I guess it would depend on how much meat you have to work with. Just make sure whoever does the work shaves them dead square and flat

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”