TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

6.5” subs

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

pugboy
TunerGod
Posts: 20349
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

6.5” subs

Postby pugboy » September 21st, 2022, 9:43 pm

what’s the verdict on these subs ppl using lately?
seeing lot of ripped suspensions

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 830
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Location: Gasparillo
Contact:

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby kavaninho » September 22nd, 2022, 9:40 am

pugboy wrote:what’s the verdict on these subs ppl using lately?
seeing lot of ripped suspensions


12 years strong with my 6.5's subs.

This is Trinidad, people love to flex that their single 6.5" sub can outperform a 10" perhaps. The cost of that assignment is an overpowered sub and a mal-designed box.

User avatar
evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 758
Joined: October 21st, 2003, 12:56 pm
Location: South

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby evolution7tt » September 22nd, 2022, 10:01 am

kavaninho wrote:
pugboy wrote:what’s the verdict on these subs ppl using lately?
seeing lot of ripped suspensions


12 years strong with my 6.5's subs.

This is Trinidad, people love to flex that their single 6.5" sub can outperform a 10" perhaps. The cost of that assignment is an overpowered sub and a mal-designed box.


This is true.

I have a pair of 6.5" Elemental subs that I have run ported for a while and they still never failed me. User error causes the failures you may have been seeing.

User avatar
Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7832
Joined: January 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm
Location: Heart of Chaguanas ...

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby Rovin » September 22nd, 2022, 4:21 pm

mechanical damage is a sign of incorrect enclosure

burnt subs is a sign of clipping

overpowering is another factor of damage though i have played subs comfortably on 2-3+ times rated rms past max ratings with no problems, it depends on how overbuilt it is & some common sense too

as a side talk - trinis have plenty trunk space but love to put a small sub beatin d sh1t out of it to impress others who say i tort is a 12 u have dey yes ... :roll:

User avatar
Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator
Posts: 17170
Joined: April 22nd, 2003, 8:07 am
Location: playing with above and below
Contact:

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby Dave » September 22nd, 2022, 5:59 pm

Haha kids never change.

pugboy
TunerGod
Posts: 20349
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby pugboy » September 22nd, 2022, 7:21 pm

yup

sadly you will see a carnival truck with all the speakers flapping and the dj don’t even realize that , so they deaf and have no idea what supposed to sound good

Rovin wrote:mechanical damage is a sign of incorrect enclosure

burnt subs is a sign of clipping

overpowering is another factor of damage though i have played subs comfortably on 2-3+ times rated rms past max ratings with no problems, it depends on how overbuilt it is & some common sense too

as a side talk - trinis have plenty trunk space but love to put a small sub beatin d sh1t out of it to impress others who say i tort is a 12 u have dey yes ... :roll:

User avatar
timelapse
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6917
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby timelapse » September 22nd, 2022, 7:52 pm

pugboy wrote:yup

sadly you will see a carnival truck with all the speakers flapping and the dj don’t even realize that , so they deaf and have no idea what supposed to sound good

Rovin wrote:mechanical damage is a sign of incorrect enclosure

burnt subs is a sign of clipping

overpowering is another factor of damage though i have played subs comfortably on 2-3+ times rated rms past max ratings with no problems, it depends on how overbuilt it is & some common sense too

as a side talk - trinis have plenty trunk space but love to put a small sub beatin d sh1t out of it to impress others who say i tort is a 12 u have dey yes ... :roll:
Same with rajes

User avatar
sMASH
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 19768
Joined: January 11th, 2005, 4:30 am

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby sMASH » September 22nd, 2022, 8:23 pm

I shreded a 6. 5 elemental in a 1/4 wave. It sounded real good till it stopped.

I just played it way lower than the tune design.

But, lesson learned, info gathered

User avatar
nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 23063
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: The world is fl4t

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby nervewrecker » September 22nd, 2022, 8:47 pm

Ain't no replacement for displacement

User avatar
evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 758
Joined: October 21st, 2003, 12:56 pm
Location: South

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby evolution7tt » September 23rd, 2022, 8:42 am

nervewrecker wrote:Ain't no replacement for displacement


Preach.

User avatar
Firewall
Riding on 16's
Posts: 1284
Joined: October 29th, 2006, 8:15 am

6.5” subs

Postby Firewall » September 26th, 2022, 8:24 pm

Image
Image
Just a proof of concept.
Dual 6.5” Sundown, powered by subwoofer channel of a Alpine v9.
IIRC it’s 1 cf net tuned to 33hz. Sounds great in the van. Loud enough as well.

User avatar
timelapse
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6917
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby timelapse » September 27th, 2022, 6:54 am

Firewall wrote:Image
Image
Just a proof of concept.
Dual 6.5” Sundown, powered by subwoofer channel of a Alpine v9.
IIRC it’s 1 cf net tuned to 33hz. Sounds great in the van. Loud enough as well.
I heard one of those in a sealed carrying on like a jamette.Two ported will sound like a monster

pugboy
TunerGod
Posts: 20349
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby pugboy » September 28th, 2022, 2:00 pm

you still have the burnt speaker ?

sMASH wrote:I shreded a 6. 5 elemental in a 1/4 wave. It sounded real good till it stopped.

I just played it way lower than the tune design.

But, lesson learned, info gathered

User avatar
sMASH
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 19768
Joined: January 11th, 2005, 4:30 am

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby sMASH » September 29th, 2022, 7:38 pm

pugboy wrote:you still have the burnt speaker ?

sMASH wrote:I shreded a 6. 5 elemental in a 1/4 wave. It sounded real good till it stopped.

I just played it way lower than the tune design.

But, lesson learned, info gathered

yes.
but to be pedantic, its not burnt, but unravelled. so i susspect it just knock around and beat it self ded.

magnet like an 8".
the magnet makes it worth rebuilding. but the spider space doesnt allow for any significant throw. so if rebuilding, this woudl be better in the midbass, low mids use.

just double up on a spider pack and run 80hz up.

pugboy
TunerGod
Posts: 20349
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby pugboy » September 29th, 2022, 8:06 pm

unraveled means the heat caused the windings to unstick and destruct

you selling it?

User avatar
sMASH
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 19768
Joined: January 11th, 2005, 4:30 am

Re: 6.5” subs

Postby sMASH » Yesterday, 8:50 am

pugboy wrote:unraveled means the heat caused the windings to unstick and destruct

you selling it?
But me eh smelling nutten.

But any how. It deh,

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rovin and 12 guests