Forums

Anyone using condensers?

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Anyone using condensers?

Postby 88sins » December 12th, 2018, 5:29 pm

anybody using condensers as an additional filter to reduce unwanted frequencies from going to their mids and highs?
What allyuh using, and how well does it work?

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Anyone using condensers?

Postby kavaninho » December 12th, 2018, 8:46 pm

active crossovers in 2018 but nothing wrong with a passive network.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 12th, 2018, 11:09 pm

yeah crossovers work, but I find that sometimes with some songs the lows still sneak through.
right now I have a build in progress, mostly sounding very clear, but every now and then depending on the tune played I'll hear that little thump where I should only be hearing vocals. so I just put a condenser on it & all dat gone.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » December 12th, 2018, 11:43 pm

A "condenser", or capacitor as it's more commonly known, is a theoretical 6dB/octave highpass filter - the higher its value, the more low frequencies get through. Thing is, speakers do not have a flat impedance, so the response curve you end up with might be quite different to what you expect, particularly as the cutoff frequency approaches the resonance frequency of the speaker.

12dB/octave filters, implemented by using a capacitor in series with the driver and an inductor across the driver's terminals are better for blocking low frequencies. But you have to be careful and choose the correct values. A freeware x-over design tool like XSim can help.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » December 13th, 2018, 8:16 am

88sins wrote:yeah crossovers work, but I find that sometimes with some songs the lows still sneak through.
right now I have a build in progress, mostly sounding very clear, but every now and then depending on the tune played I'll hear that little thump where I should only be hearing vocals. so I just put a condenser on it & all dat gone.

Nope, nada, have no idea what you speak of. -24db slope all side, deh 80prs head unit in network mode

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » December 13th, 2018, 8:17 am

nervewrecker wrote:
88sins wrote:yeah crossovers work, but I find that sometimes with some songs the lows still sneak through.

Nope, nada, have no idea what you speak of. -24db slope all side, deh 80prs head unit in network mode

no sub

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 13th, 2018, 9:17 am

sounding good.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 13th, 2018, 11:00 am

for my daily small system its filters on deck used for sub & door comps but i use condensers on d tweets , cant stand a harsh tweeter in my ears ...

Soundstream_626
Riding on 17's

Postby Soundstream_626 » December 13th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Aside from the filtering aspect, Capacitors block DC so its also an additional protection for your tweet in case your amp messes up.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 13th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Soundstream_626 wrote:Aside from the filtering aspect, Capacitors block DC so its also an additional protection for your tweet in case your amp messes up.

& not just your tweeters, but all speakers they're used on generally. quick example
a looong time back I had a modded royal red amp i used to use for music in the house mounted inside a box(older heads go know what a royal red is).
anyway iirc, that amp was putting out close to an actual 450w/ch @ 4ohms & just over 900w bridged @ the same 4 ohms. had a pair of sealed eminence 8" wired in parallel with a single 10uf condenser on the bridge for mids. those two 8" run for years on that setup. never had to change or repair them, because of that little condenser. the condenser had to change once, but thats it. end up selling the box & speakers a few years back, but I still have the amp & p/s lying around somewhere.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”