TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Sound Dampening a percentage of a panel & not the whole area ....

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Sound Dampening a percentage of a panel & not the whole area ....

Postby Rovin » April 17th, 2019, 11:17 am

now this is not directed at anybody or certain installers in particular but i notice some ppl online all over doing patches of dampening & claiming oh u dont need to do d whole ting just x y or z percentage is fine & readers taking this info & regurgitating it back online

now i am NOT talking about a more than 1 layer on top of each other , just covering d whole specific area say a door\trunk lid\hood etc

how many of u agree with this approach ?

how many of u actually tried these percentages & noticed what effects it has with more or less of it ? [not showing off or anything but i have]

is it laziness or a cost savings ? ... i doubt cause locally most brands of typical thickness sound deadening sheets are 4sq feet & cost tt$100-200 max about same as u wud get it online

somehow i get a feeling some of u here stingy with sharing knowledge\experience so lets see how it goes .... :|

Soundstream_626
Riding on 17's

Re: Sound Dampening a percentage of a panel & not the whole area ....

Postby Soundstream_626 » April 17th, 2019, 12:24 pm

I did this "patch" approach in a cousin`s car. Door flex was noticeably reduced and midbasses seemed more pronounced in the lower end but I wouldn't say it was a hugeee difference. The panel itself is now heavier and allows less energy to escape. For me, sealing the inner door metal had the biggest noticeable effect.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » April 17th, 2019, 1:27 pm

The more the merrier :)
Some is always better than none if placed strategically.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 18th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Soundstream_626 wrote:I did this "patch" approach in a cousin`s car. Door flex was noticeably reduced and midbasses seemed more pronounced in the lower end but I wouldn't say it was a hugeee difference. The panel itself is now heavier and allows less energy to escape. For me, sealing the inner door metal had the biggest noticeable effect.

Have to agree here. It does some reinforcement of the metal but ideally you want to get a close to sealed enclosure. So I close up the whole thing and add material on the door insides as well as the door metal. Even with all that the midbasses sound l;like they wanna burst the door sometimes.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 18th, 2019, 10:21 pm

I guess if budget is an issue or weight you go with the patch method. Depends on how much you upping the power and how low you crossing it as well. Stock speakers sounded good in my nissan almera but when I took those out and opted for amplifiers, needed the material.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 19th, 2019, 4:23 pm

more the merrier.

but i see strategically placing them and using stuff like fast rings is a thing for foreign installers. they use a sheet per door or less

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 20th, 2019, 11:45 am

anybody who has done sound deaden will say yes even a little helps but when ppl online say stuff like "25% or 50% is good enough u dont really need more" : i strongly disagree

prove it to urself by doing a little bit at a time

then i see some ppl apply it d d door metal but totally ignore d big gaping holes , u dont know what ur missing when u 1\2 ass it like that

d whole point of this is to add mass to reduce metal resonance & to create like a baffle to prevent waves behind d speaker cancelling d front waves ... in other words u sealing off d door best as possible to create like an enclosure

imo if u do inner door & outter door panel u really dont need more than 1 layer unless u have some really powerful door speakers or ur sq or spl competitor ...

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » April 20th, 2019, 12:50 pm

dont ignore the door panel too!

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 20th, 2019, 2:23 pm

yes in some circumstances thats true too

when it comes to sound deadener [just like power wire] some ppl eh play they cheap though , man does expect to buy a single sheet to do a whole door or trunk lid ...

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » April 20th, 2019, 3:57 pm

If you place it strategically it can have a massive improvement, since you lowered the resonant frequency of that panel drastically.

Adding more WILL help, but it's a logarithmic curve of improvement, You'll have to add more and more to get just minor improvements.

But to sumarrise all these big words:
1.) Patches = good, massive improvement over none at all
2.) Covering the whole panel = better than #1 by a good chunk
3.) Covering the whole panel in multiple layers= slight improvement over #2

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » April 24th, 2019, 6:21 am

Dont waste money on option 2 or 3 unless you are using very good quality speakers and they are installed on proper solid adapter rings and bolted solidly to the door. The money saved can be put towards a better quality speaker and proper installation on the door

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » April 25th, 2019, 6:42 pm

next question, Which should get priority for damping?

The metal panels of the door or the plastic upholstery?

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » April 25th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Proper mounting of the speaker and then dampiing on areas close to the speaker

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » April 25th, 2019, 8:32 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:next question, Which should get priority for damping?

The metal panels of the door or the plastic upholstery?

95% of the time its the metal. In some cases the door panel is so poorly made you may want to treat it first.
Last edited by kavaninho on April 26th, 2019, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 26th, 2019, 11:47 am

imo metal 1st

nowadays in modern cars they make d upholstery in plastic pieces assembled together so it really rattles badly

in MY fielder wagon if u do 1 lil area alone then d energy\"vibrations" transfers itself to another area ... same with my previous Y11 wagon

using a door for ex : u do around speaker itself then d non-dampened areas start to make irritating noise , when u done do all d metal , then d energy goes to d upholstery itself .... & doh play u only doing parts of d upholstery cause just like d metal : u do 1 area d other areas will start act up too

all of this i talking about is just components off deck power alone eh , sub bass will resonate d whole door upholstery but doesnt really make it irritating sounding like how d door speakers cause it to do

speaking of bass , if u start to partially do trunk lid or parts of ur trunk : basically d same happens ....

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » May 6th, 2019, 11:47 am

Two things from my limited experience...
1. The type/size of midbass speaker and the amount of power being put into it. The more midbass or lower frequency of midbass you want out of the door (enclosure) is a factor of the speaker itself, the size of the enclosure and the dampening. So yes, sound deadening/dampening does have a part to play.
2. Different vehicles have different door types; 2 door vehicles generally have larger doors. 4x4 pickups sometimes have a reinforcement bar running inside the door, rather than just the steel framing attached to the door skin. And then different manufacturers have better build quality/thicker door skins as compared to others. So sometimes, patch coverage can work best, sometimes you need to put more emphasis on the inside of the door skin, other times, covering the holes on the door panel is sufficient.

So all in all, its quite a subjective thing, and I don't think there is any hard and fast solution, but more a case-by-case approach.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 11th, 2020, 10:28 pm

good video that just got put on youtube ....

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » November 13th, 2020, 10:48 am

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/refer ... formation/

the guy nick, did a live session about a mth ago and touched on this as well as and showed there is a point of diminishing returns in doing whole panel vs strategic points

also touched on the thickness sometimes isnt as important as the materials used ..for instance when companies sent samples of 100-120 mils the results were worse than some 80mil samples

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » November 13th, 2020, 10:58 am

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/ ... 420/page-2

this is also another great thread i came across as to how to get a car quieter

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 13th, 2020, 10:04 pm

i read ur 1st post which was a excellent contribution , besides d author throwing in his product endorsement which i cant give him wrong for doing ] it was very well written article explaining stuff so simple even a beginner will understand

as for ur 2 post well after going thru d 1st i will defer reading that 100posts to another time ...

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”