Need Advice in Upgrading System

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

avram2094
Riding on 13's

Need Advice in Upgrading System

Postby avram2094 » October 6th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Good day everyone,

I am new to car audio and I would like some help/advice in upgrading my current setup.

Headunit: Pioneer DEH-S1100UB
4 Channel: Banda Beat 800.4
Mids: 2 XPro Mid6
Mono: Soundstream L1.600D
Sub: XPro 12 2ohm
Pre-amp: Soundstream SE-3841

I recently sold my sub and mono and I am planning on getting a Sundown 12" Sub with probably a banda beat 802 or ice x 1201 or 1601. I am also considering 1 of the sfb line of amps to power it.

Seeing that the Banda amps doesn't have built in crossovers, I was wondering do I need to get an active crossover for frequency tuning?

I'm also considering upgrading the headunit to a DEH-80PRS, if I go this way would I still need a crossover and preamp?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Need Advice in Upgrading System

Postby kavaninho » October 6th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Get the 80PRS and run it directly to the amps.

I'm concerned about the type of amps you are looking at. Is that all you are exposed to?
For us to assist you here you have explain what you are looking for and your expectation of the upgrade.
I take it you are into "loud" type listening and not the SQ/in-car listening?

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » October 6th, 2020, 5:42 pm

The 80PRS is a fine deck, but is somewhat dated. Pioneer has several decks that offer similar if not identical features at a lower cost. And if your source of music is your phone or thumb drive, have a look at one of the "media receivers" as an alternative. The newer decks will support later versions of BT and will sound better if that's the primary way that you play music through your system.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » October 6th, 2020, 5:55 pm

^ True that, all pioneer HUs suck at bluetooth for audio playback.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 6th, 2020, 6:24 pm

OP : what type of system u looking for - local gallery style or a in car listening system ?

going from a very limited features 1100ub to a 80prs is a huge upgrade jump , no additional external processing needed - deck straight to amp\s

have to agree with a newer modern big screen deck once ur dash have space for a double din size

no offense to local dealers of Brazilian amps whatever brands it is : i just never liked them , i prefer korean amps ... :|

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » October 6th, 2020, 9:33 pm

An example - https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item-17 ... 20BHS.html

That deck has better tuning capabilities than the 80PRS, particularly if you use the phone app with it. What it does not have is auto-tuning (which I must've used once, LOL) and a CD-player. Unfortunately its BT is v4.0 - same as the 80PRS. Was available from Sonic for $125.

avram2094
Riding on 13's

Postby avram2094 » October 7th, 2020, 8:14 am

kavaninho wrote:Get the 80PRS and run it directly to the amps.

I'm concerned about the type of amps you are looking at. Is that all you are exposed to?
For us to assist you here you have explain what you are looking for and your expectation of the upgrade.
I take it you are into "loud" type listening and not the SQ/in-car listening?

At this point I don't want loud, I'd prefer SQ in this upgrade.

In terms of my exposure, most of what I see are heavily advertised on my social media, so that's why I got the banda. Tbh the banda works fine imho.

But what amp would you recommend?

avram2094
Riding on 13's

Postby avram2094 » October 7th, 2020, 8:20 am

Brian Steele wrote:The 80PRS is a fine deck, but is somewhat dated. Pioneer has several decks that offer similar if not identical features at a lower cost. And if your source of music is your phone or thumb drive, have a look at one of the "media receivers" as an alternative. The newer decks will support later versions of BT and will sound better if that's the primary way that you play music through your system.

What decks should I look at? If I can save some cash that'd be great. But I usually listen to music thru a USB. If there's better quality thru newer decks with BT I'd definitely make that switch!

avram2094
Riding on 13's

Postby avram2094 » October 7th, 2020, 8:23 am

Rovin wrote:OP : what type of system u looking for - local gallery style or a in car listening system ?

going from a very limited features 1100ub to a 80prs is a huge upgrade jump , no additional external processing needed - deck straight to amp\s

have to agree with a newer modern big screen deck once ur dash have space for a double din size

no offense to local dealers of Brazilian amps whatever brands it is : i just never liked them , i prefer korean amps ... :|

Looking for the in car listening quality, but I'd prefer the single din.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 7th, 2020, 11:12 am

for in car listening quality : use coaxials or components speakers specifically made for cars NOT pro audio speakers .... plenty choices for all sorts of budget & sound dampen ur doors properly , it will still be plenty loud for daily use

10yrs ago when my car came with a double din space i went d\din deck & never looked back since, just love large display & touch screen, cant ever see myself with a single din again but thats just me

a typical korean 4chan amp 75-100rms x4 for mids & monoblock 500-1000rms on bass is plenty for a daily in car system that wont kill ur pocket ...

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » October 7th, 2020, 8:20 pm

OP my suggestion is to ditch /sell your current equipment and opt for a descent 5 channel amplifier. This can be had for around $2500.00. If you're going with an all class D, ensure its from a reputable manufacturer.

Get a pair of Comps and coaxials as rovin suggested and install them properly with damping material on doors.

Dont get crazy particular on your subs, an average sub in properly aligned ported box will work wonders. Look into brands like ID, ARC,FI, DC etc. These are more reputable for good sounding subs.

I still prefer the 80prs to the cheaper alternative mentioned above as this one offers independent L/R EQ. I believe the DAC is better as well? However, both units are great. I cant believe something with 31 bands can be had for that price as well. Good going pio!

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 8th, 2020, 11:26 am

in any system head unit is d brain so start with a good 1 , unless u using a HU as just a source & using a good DSP to take full control of everything ...

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”