Forums

Did TT SQ scene die?

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

altec
I LUV THIS PLACE

Did TT SQ scene die?

Postby altec » January 14th, 2021, 4:39 pm

Not hearing anything from the SQ side of things and the forum is really slow.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Did TT SQ scene die?

Postby Brian Steele » January 15th, 2021, 12:24 am

COVID-19

Everything's slow :)

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 15th, 2021, 12:02 pm

we all know sq in T&T is only participated by about a few dozen ppl so sq meets were dormant for nearly 7-8yrs but in 2019 it tried to revive with 2 separate casual meets , 1 in south & few mths later 1 in central

it was encouraging turnout but i got to learn that some ppl like to segregate themselves by attending or not attending certain events which i find was shocking & silly at d same time cause if u like something why shud u not go to all when possible

then there are ppl who feel intimidated with their very basic system & shy to attend when some ppl's deck worth more than their whole system ... i wud like to think some are not so high handed to look down on others who now starting or cant afford certain stuff, bring what u have & appreciate what others have , i myself even as a store owner run a very basic bare bones system

i agree with Brian : covid messed everything up, so is wait & see if a proven effective vaccine will happen ...

Soundstream_626
Riding on 17's

Postby Soundstream_626 » January 15th, 2021, 7:05 pm

Rovin highlighted some good points, Ill drop in my 2cents.

Most of the guys I know who are into sq are the same guys from the past 15 years. It`s very hard to get new people interested because of the culture of car audio and the culture of the music that most people listen to. I`m forever getting the question of "where the rest of your mids?" and people watch me funny when they ask for a demo and I tell them to sit in the driver`s seat.

Even though processing has gotten so cheap and a good sq system can be had for not much money, in Trinidad output is king. With more n more vehicles coming in as hybrids and smaller liberties can be taken with their charging systems, I don`t know if at some point sq may see a resurgence. For now I can`t see it happening.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 15th, 2021, 8:56 pm

Personally, I don't know people into the same things I interested in.
The only one I know that into Sq kinda, on tuner already and don't want to meter fir kicks. even me, only once I went one of ur meets, and didn't have any Sq experince that time

But I got chance to experiment since then, and would like to come out to a meet some time. Missing a hu atm.

Is like, people in my pool just don't know sheit bout music and care even less. Once it hard, it good.
And the amount of pseudo science they immerse themselves in, is like a lost cause.
But they don't care.
Last edited by sMASH on January 15th, 2021, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 15th, 2021, 10:35 pm

When things open back up I may be able to coax a client for a venue.

We have space.

Have a dyno across the road if they wanna have a meet as well..

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 16th, 2021, 7:51 am

Soundstream_626 wrote:Rovin highlighted some good points, Ill drop in my 2cents.

Most of the guys I know who are into sq are the same guys from the past 15 years. It`s very hard to get new people interested because of the culture of car audio and the culture of the music that most people listen to. I`m forever getting the question of "where the rest of your mids?" and people watch me funny when they ask for a demo and I tell them to sit in the driver`s seat.

Even though processing has gotten so cheap and a good sq system can be had for not much money, in Trinidad output is king. With more n more vehicles coming in as hybrids and smaller liberties can be taken with their charging systems, I don`t know if at some point sq may see a resurgence. For now I can`t see it happening.

I second every thing here.

I for one always encourage any new young person coming into car audio to get into SQ. The success rate is very low.
Trinidad follows youtube and the internet with some lag. I do see SQ picking up locally in years to come.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 16th, 2021, 11:46 am

i agree a ton of us locals into car audio look at what others do in d car audio world especially d usa via d net - do we follow what they actually do , hell naw .... i get what u mean by following youtube & d net

i not gonna bash what others find joy in - culturally we are a outdoors party ppl

they see their padna doing xyz in local style & easily influenced & wanna be just like them

here is not like in usa where ppl actually form a line patiently waiting to go sit INside a vehicle to listen to it whether its anything from SQ to 100k watts bangin fully custom system with everything installed inside

we rather to stand OUTside a vehicle & hear whatever is presented to us , thats just d way it is & will never phase out , its permanently embedded in our DNA

will always have a tiny quiet group of individuals who appreciate sq ... we will not die out so easily
Last edited by Rovin on January 16th, 2021, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 16th, 2021, 6:09 pm

As you mentioned that, I noticed Trinidadian car audio people culture is to not judge your system based on the owner's personal evaluation but rather the reviews that he gets from his le man padnas.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 16th, 2021, 6:23 pm

I feel too much of us too busy to endorse the men who doing great things.

I am a huge follower of your work as well as Spectro, loud sound and rovin.

I see rovin showing some stuff that can get him banned from earthquake prone zones. Haven't gotten a chance to watch a single one yet.

I should also add that the best health care in t&t is public health care. Private = waste of time.

I got a 2 week waiting time for a surgery in the public hospital. Spent a week just trying to get an appointment private. Can't get one yet. Best I utilitie the free and professional services at sando general.

altec
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby altec » January 16th, 2021, 8:11 pm

well I am heading back into SQ after a layoff for 6 or 7 years....Will not be a full competition thing with documentation etc, My processor sucks and no HU, but doing everything I can handle on my own for the fun of it, and most likely Kren will finish the wiring etc once he agrees. Don't know him but his work looks good on facebook. Waiting for stuff online to start the wiring like heat shrink, grommets etc. I cheaped out and went with 0 gauge welding cable.
Last edited by altec on January 16th, 2021, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » January 16th, 2021, 8:12 pm

Iasca Trinidad hosted a judges certification program in february 2020 as part of its program for events then Covid hit. In Oct/Nov they also started a series of competitor training with a small class size. This was to continue into december as well as in 2021 however the risk of Covid is still a factor. There is also supposed to be some test and tune clinics in 2021 geared towards sq and spl.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 17th, 2021, 1:06 am

altec wrote:well I am heading back into SQ after a layoff for 6 or 7 years....Will not be a full competition thing with documentation etc, My processor sucks and no HU, but doing everything I can handle on my own for the fun of it, and most likely Kren will finish the wiring etc once he agrees. Don't know him but his work looks good on facebook. Waiting for stuff online to start the wiring like heat shrink, grommets etc. I cheaped out and went with 0 gauge welding cable.

work strongly endorsed on this end.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » January 17th, 2021, 11:10 am

i wasnt paying much attention with my system, i got a big boost with some parts from a good friend, i changed out my bass amp and attempted a 3 way setup with the help from nervewrecker. I currently have it in 2 way mode minus my tweets and it sounds amazing. lack of motivation keeping me from fully completing this.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 17th, 2021, 3:50 pm

Personally, SQ listeners enjoy music that sounds good and like to hear music for the way it was intended. Many persons in Trinidad like "noise". Earth shaking bass and everything else with low tonal quality.

I did the van last year and when demoing the speakers , I played songs from Frozen as they had a good range of sound.

I've heard some youths crank up their Bandas and multiple 15" subs and it's just loud and overbearing.

There are SQ loyalists.

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » January 18th, 2021, 8:26 am

Rovin wrote:we all know sq in T&T is only participated by about a few dozen ppl so sq meets were dormant for nearly 7-8yrs but in 2019 it tried to revive with 2 separate casual meets , 1 in south & few mths later 1 in central

I was the primary organizer for that first meet. "SQ and BBQ". I would like to think it was very well attended (10+ cars), given the small numbers of competitors in SQ locally anyway. The second meet, while I could not make it, was also well attended and kudos to those who organized it and attended.

As everyone above said, it has a lot to do with our car audio culture and that is not easily altered. Like kavaninho, I do see a resurgence in SQ locally with hybrid vehicles being common, but as others have said, our car audio culture is just one that seeks the approval of others and really isn't for personal enjoyment.

I have had SQ inclined systems in all my vehicles thus far, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I'm up for whenever and wherever the next meet is.
Last edited by evolution7tt on January 18th, 2021, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » January 18th, 2021, 8:31 am

Ted_v2 wrote:i wasnt paying much attention with my system, i got a big boost with some parts from a good friend, i changed out my bass amp and attempted a 3 way setup with the help from nervewrecker. I currently have it in 2 way mode minus my tweets and it sounds amazing. lack of motivation keeping me from fully completing this.

Drop the van by me. 8-)

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 19th, 2021, 11:41 am

hybrid vehicles : not because its not advisable with d type of electrical system u wud think their owners wud go d sq route - not us trinis

based on what i see local ppl doing online yes they using small power 5chan like typical 100x4 & 350 on bass BUT they still going d loudness route , 4 pro audio speakers in their doors with NB1 & high tuned sub enclosures prolly 40-50hz , owners & installers boasting from 10ft out d car oh look how loud & "clean" it sounding with small powah

again not bashing anybody , our culture is 1 of blasting music loud as possible & seeking approval of others for how it sounds especially outside of d car ..... :|

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 19th, 2021, 11:47 am

i like when we had those 2 SQ casual meets , everybody came rel humble & played what they have , some of us got to sit in others cars & appreciate what they had , nobody was on any snobbish or high handed mood

i prefer this than when they are competitions where ppl are in a kinda serious mode until d comps are over then they become a bit more casual & relaxed

got to take it back to d casual mode to get ppl interested & maybe later on they may consider competing but this damn covid just spoil everything & nobody knows how long it will last for ppl to start back feeling safe\comfortable around each other .... :|

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » January 19th, 2021, 8:39 pm

Rovin wrote:hybrid vehicles : not because its not advisable with d type of electrical system u wud think their owners wud go d sq route - not us trinis

based on what i see local ppl doing online yes they using small power 5chan like typical 100x4 & 350 on bass BUT they still going d loudness route , 4 pro audio speakers in their doors with NB1 & high tuned sub enclosures prolly 40-50hz , owners & installers boasting from 10ft out d car oh look how loud & "clean" it sounding with small powah

again not bashing anybody , our culture is 1 of blasting music loud as possible & seeking approval of others for how it sounds especially outside of d car ..... :|

I observed the same thing.

I agree with your sentiments about the SQ meets. It really was a nice atmosphere and I sure appreciated all the demos.

Hopefully soon.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 22nd, 2021, 9:47 am

kavaninho wrote:As you mentioned that, I noticed Trinidadian car audio people culture is to not judge your system based on the owner's personal evaluation but rather the reviews that he gets from his le man padnas.

As yuh here, big up yuhself for the best sounding music build I ever did in my 20 years of car music.
Might not be able to compete in SQ, but gawddamn it puts a smile on my face every time I crank the volume knob

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 22nd, 2021, 12:51 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:
kavaninho wrote:As you mentioned that, I noticed Trinidadian car audio people culture is to not judge your system based on the owner's personal evaluation but rather the reviews that he gets from his le man padnas.

As yuh here, big up yuhself for the best sounding music build I ever did in my 20 years of car music.
Might not be able to compete in SQ, but gawddamn it puts a smile on my face every time I crank the volume knob

Very glad to know you are still enjoying your system.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » January 29th, 2021, 9:34 pm

Time to change up the format... would it be possible to have an SQ competition over say a 1 month period where the judge/s would visit the competitors (or vice versa) and score them individually?

That way there is no gathering to worry about and the sport could be kept alive.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 30th, 2021, 8:12 am

Gladiator wrote:Time to change up the format... would it be possible to have an SQ competition over say a 1 month period where the judge/s would visit the competitors (or vice versa) and score them individually?

That way there is no gathering to worry about and the sport could be kept alive.

That is subjected to bias since all competitors are not present. However, I catch your drift.

SQ is not a spectator sport and will never be. To grow the SQ community I think more meets/test and tune sessions should be held with the exclusion of competition at the beginning. Yes, there are few of that are familiar with the formats and are competition ready. SQ and Install competitions should be "re-introduced" to the community after it is rebuilt.
Always remember a sport can stimulate competition, however not vice versa.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 2nd, 2021, 1:39 pm

not advertising for anybody but i now see on fb a sq event coming up .... https://www.facebook.com/mecatt/photos/ ... 371062043/

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 8th, 2021, 11:12 am

There's a point of diminishing returns with SQ.
With SPL you can always push it and go louder and louder.

SQ is harder to judge in trinidad's competitive culture as well.

Plus we hadda remember that the average Trinidadian dotish, they enno bout all the parameters we listen for.
Men want to FEEL the music, not to listen to it. Feelings matter more than facts in trinidad.

EYEandEYE
Riding on 13's

Postby EYEandEYE » March 11th, 2021, 9:41 pm

Hello everyone......I read somewhere on fb that there's a sq event this Sunday 13th March in Tarouba. Can any confirm this? If so some kindly details. Thanks in advance.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » March 13th, 2021, 2:14 pm

EYEandEYE wrote:Hello everyone......I read somewhere on fb that there's a sq event this Sunday 13th March in Tarouba. Can any confirm this? If so some kindly details. Thanks in advance.

There is! It is being hosted by IASCA Trinidad. It is a competitor event to control the gathering size. You can contact the guys at Safe and Sound for more info.

EYEandEYE
Riding on 13's

Postby EYEandEYE » March 13th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Thank you very much for responding Kavaninho. Will do.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » March 15th, 2021, 8:30 pm

Link to pics of SQC event held yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?van ... 0320580597

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”