TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Car Voltage After changing Alternator (car audio)

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

niallnarine
Riding on 13's

Car Voltage After changing Alternator (car audio)

Postby niallnarine » March 3rd, 2021, 7:16 pm

I'd like some advise or knowledge on whats going on with my car rn. so i before i changed alternators i had a stock 90 amp mazda alternator and i have a optima red top in my engine bay and a powersafe 190 in my trunk. so when its wired, alternator to engine bay and engine bay to back. so the powersafe would more or less get power from the optima. i have music in my car and its around 2200 rms. not alot, and for having a powersafe i shouldnt have any problem. and yes the powersafe is working fine. i was getting 14.4-14.6 volts with my stock alternator when starting my car and it would drop to 14.2 ish and when music was on it would drop to 13.2 volts. after a few days and i hadnt driven the car but playing music alot my voltage would start at 14.4 and drop to 12.1 with a heavy bassline so i realized it wasnt charging back in time and everyone advised me to upgrade to a 140 tiida alternator. so i did, and after doing it my voltage would start around 14.2 and after 15 minutes of driving with no music or anything drawing major power it would go to 13.7 and stay there. im not sure if this is a problem but i was told it shouldve stayed around 14.2 volts period. i let the battery charge for a while after driving 2-3 hours with high revs and it wont go higher than 13.7 volts. can anyone advise me or help with this. (i was told the alternator was wired with 2 out of the 3 wires) and all wires are 0 guage and welding lead so proper thing.

niallnarine
Riding on 13's

Re: Car Voltage After changing Alternatorn (car audio)

Postby niallnarine » March 3rd, 2021, 8:59 pm

Bump up

Skillys
Street 2NR

Postby Skillys » March 3rd, 2021, 9:19 pm

Wowwwwwwwwwwwww ok

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » March 3rd, 2021, 9:20 pm

car battery is 12 volts something wrong dey

niallnarine
Riding on 13's

Postby niallnarine » March 4th, 2021, 12:04 am

paid_influencer wrote:car battery is 12 volts something wrong dey

I don’t think it being 12v is the problem cause the batteries sit at 12.6 at rest, as they should but won’t go to 14.2 or higher as they should when started.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 4th, 2021, 7:18 am

Powersafe as in those cell tower batteries? You do know that those batteries have a very slow recharge/discharge rate and not really recommended for music but people use it because its cheap.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 4th, 2021, 7:53 am

niallnarine wrote:I'd like some advise or knowledge on whats going on with my car rn. so i before i changed alternators i had a stock 90 amp mazda alternator and i have a optima red top in my engine bay and a powersafe 190 in my trunk. so when its wired, alternator to engine bay and engine bay to back. so the powersafe would more or less get power from the optima. i have music in my car and its around 2200 rms. not alot, and for having a powersafe i shouldnt have any problem. and yes the powersafe is working fine. i was getting 14.4-14.6 volts with my stock alternator when starting my car and it would drop to 14.2 ish and when music was on it would drop to 13.2 volts. after a few days and i hadnt driven the car but playing music alot my voltage would start at 14.4 and drop to 12.1 with a heavy bassline so i realized it wasnt charging back in time and everyone advised me to upgrade to a 140 tiida alternator. so i did, and after doing it my voltage would start around 14.2 and after 15 minutes of driving with no music or anything drawing major power it would go to 13.7 and stay there. im not sure if this is a problem but i was told it shouldve stayed around 14.2 volts period. i let the battery charge for a while after driving 2-3 hours with high revs and it wont go higher than 13.7 volts. can anyone advise me or help with this. (i was told the alternator was wired with 2 out of the 3 wires) and all wires are 0 guage and welding lead so proper thing.
This has nothing to do with the battery quiescient voltage.

When you changed alternators, you also changed voltage regulators. This new voltage regulator is charging at 0.1V below the recommended minimum.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Re: Car Voltage After changing Alternator (car audio)

Postby SR » March 4th, 2021, 11:02 pm

Your problem is a mismatch of batteries

The optima will recharge faster than the telecom battery

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”