Car audio advice thread

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Car audio advice thread

Postby nervewrecker » January 14th, 2023, 7:16 pm

Lithium ion starting to take over.

Is there enough air in a vehicle to load a horn though?

I been kinda out of it for awhile so I'm not sure what's what right now.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 16th, 2023, 7:35 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Lithium ion starting to take over.

Is there enough air in a vehicle to load a horn though?

I been kinda out of it for awhile so I'm not sure what's what right now.
Eat a large bag of popcorn and drink a Sprite in your car.Enough air to load any amount of horns.
Just make sure you have durable seat covers

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » January 20th, 2023, 3:11 pm

sMASH wrote:Hexibase designs enclosures like tuning an equalizer... That's wayyyy more than i interested in.

I just want lows, efficient, with a Lil bandwidth.

Never built enough boxes to get enough experience.

But, the ht sub is in the works. Going folded horn. Need two more sheet of ply, didn't buy enough.

Want to do a folded horn for some 6.5 as well. Might do that first.

Boy I love Hexibase, used to be begging in the comments what programs he did or what principles I should read up on to get to his level, but he never got back to me

Studying to tune my next box like an equalizer. a 6th order BP box with two peaks.
So that the peak in the car will reinforce the dip between the two peaks of the box

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 20th, 2023, 6:49 pm

i figure hexi studied sound engineering & wud have access\knowledge on whatever advance designing software that cant be easily download or buy to d general public to use simulate stuff so he def wud not give out such info freely when it cost him $$$$$, time & studies to get where he is now, cant vex with him for keeping those secrets ...

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 20th, 2023, 6:52 pm

so where we boi OP JeRAJme who created this thread - we eh seeing\hearing him since last year .... u arite bro ? .... :pokes:

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » January 21st, 2023, 1:51 am

ruffneck_12 wrote:Boy I love Hexibase, used to be begging in the comments what programs he did or what principles I should read up on to get to his level, but he never got back to me

Some of the videos are pretty good. Others, not so much.

There's no such thing as a "5th order" alignment, for one. At least, not one that you can create with just a loudspeaker driver and a box around it.

FWIW, I used to use my own spreadsheets for design work. Now I use spreadsheets to design the box and Hornresp (free) to sim the results. You don't really need much more than that. Hornresp can take a little while to learn, but once you learn it, it can be a very powerful design tool.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 21st, 2023, 2:13 pm

Hmmm
That had me thinking.
I liked the theile small parsmeters series he did.
But some other vids i kinda didn't catch...

But, the intimacy he doing into the tuning is way more that I will ever want to do, so I not really feeling to watch them over.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » January 21st, 2023, 3:45 pm

Rovin wrote:so where we boi OP JeRAJme who created this thread - we eh seeing\hearing him since last year .... u arite bro ? .... :pokes:

He probably carnivalin.. mids box season self!

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Car audio advice thread

Postby nick639v2 » January 27th, 2023, 9:49 am

Those who are doing oem integration just remember situations like this..

IMG_4129.JPG

This pic shows pink noise -5db after the headunit processes the signal. EQs are flat and this is the raw hi level signal. Theres an all pass filter that applies itself the higher you turn up the volume as well.

Np300 LE oem headunit

So just imagine those plentiful np installs you’re seeing that they use the clarion preamp to hook up, how it sounding ::sick::

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 27th, 2023, 10:37 am

alot of trinis dunno wtf they hearing anyway & d kinda sh1t music they does like so it mighten make any difference to dem ...

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » January 27th, 2023, 7:21 pm

https://youtu.be/7N2AyEj2TyY

Nice bass on this track. Tried it on my padna system and is salt with him and his box, ain’t hitting any notes at alll

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » January 28th, 2023, 1:35 am

20230128-Taurus.png

Gotta tune that box low to really catch the bass in that track... :-)

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » January 28th, 2023, 1:43 am

...as opposed to "House" music, which seems to sound good on almost everything ...

20230128-Gimme That Bounce.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fejMfGb ... L&index=11

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 28th, 2023, 11:15 am

shud be easy for me to play - will check it out ...

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Car audio advice thread

Postby nick639v2 » February 1st, 2023, 8:51 am

nick639v2 wrote:Those who are doing oem integration just remember situations like this..

The attachment IMG_4129.JPG is no longer available

This pic shows pink noise -5db after the headunit processes the signal. EQs are flat and this is the raw hi level signal. Theres an all pass filter that applies itself the higher you turn up the volume as well.

Np300 LE oem headunit

So just imagine those plentiful np installs you’re seeing that they use the clarion preamp to hook up, how it sounding ::sick::

Update
IMG_4157.JPG

Much better signal to work with achieved with the LGD resistor.. the bass drop off was fixed with accubass as well. Credit to Dean + Fernando 5star, they helped a lot..

Next step is to completely flatten the signal by eqing and find a small footprint amp to run tweeters active

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 1st, 2023, 11:23 am

Brian Steele wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:Boy I love Hexibase, used to be begging in the comments what programs he did or what principles I should read up on to get to his level, but he never got back to me

Some of the videos are pretty good. Others, not so much.

There's no such thing as a "5th order" alignment, for one. At least, not one that you can create with just a loudspeaker driver and a box around it.

FWIW, I used to use my own spreadsheets for design work. Now I use spreadsheets to design the box and Hornresp (free) to sim the results. You don't really need much more than that. Hornresp can take a little while to learn, but once you learn it, it can be a very powerful design tool.

There's something he does though. He considers the room as part of the enclosure. I would like to know how to account for that in conventional programs. I know bassbox pro can do something similar but I never had any luck with it

He tunes the box for the room. Not just a general open air response in a field.

Any directions you can point me in?

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » February 2nd, 2023, 12:56 pm

All right, let's take a closer look at it. "Considering the room as part of the enclosure"? Try this out at home. Listen to your subwoofer in your living room. Do the listening at different locations in the room. Does it sound the same? Does it measure the same? Now move the subwoofer to a different location in the room and repeat the tests. You'll find that the answer is NO to all the tests you did, because what you hear from the subwoofer is not only dependent on the room that it's in, but also it's location in the room and YOUR location in the room.

Now, if he was talking about a CAR AUDIO installation, that would be a different story, because typically the subwoofer and the prime listener (the driver) are in FIXED locations in the "room" (the car in this case). In this particular case you can determine the "transfer function" (a.k.a "cabin gain") by subtracting the measured performance of the subwoofer in an anechoic environment from the measured performance at the listening position, and then you can use that information to get a pretty good idea of how other subwoofers in the same location will sound at the listening position, by just adding the "cabin gain" to the subwoofer's predicted anechoic response. Hornresp for example allows you to import a "room gain profile" (same thing with a different name) so it can be added to any sim that create.

I provide a method of measuring cabin gain on my website, but it really needs to be updated. However a Google Search should turn up other sites that outline a method of measuring it. I also use the transfer function method to estimate the frequency response of some of my subwoofer builds, by measuring its response in-room (fixed location for the subwoofer and mike), and then subtracting the measured transfer function from the measured response. REW (Room EQ Wizard) makes it pretty simple to do this.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 3rd, 2023, 10:44 am

Thanks for the explanation Mr Steele

But is it also possible to predict the response depending on where you put the sub or listening position?

Because Im having some trouble getting 65Hz upwards when I put my sub in the boot, I get a flatter response when It's behind the front passenger seat.

Pete accounts for the sub position, listening position, room geometry/materials and as well as where the back wave meets the front wave of the sub, etc. I'd like to reach that level of acoustic tomfoolery

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 4th, 2023, 9:23 pm

Ruffneck and anyone interested.
Here's a home studio forum that I learned a lot about studio acoustics, sound treatment, speaker direction etc from.This was an invaluable resource.
https://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 5th, 2023, 11:16 am

hmmm a forum yes, only forum i still on is here , i stop going on any kind of those in yrssss .....

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 6th, 2023, 7:06 am

Rovin wrote:hmmm a forum yes, only forum i still on is here , i stop going on any kind of those in yrssss .....
You don't need to be a member there to view the good stuff.
A guy on that forum wrote a book.Theres a subsection there with enclosure design that I think you would be interested in.High level nerdness like calculating standing waves and them sort of things.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 7th, 2023, 11:23 am

OP like he busy to check he own thread or duckin we cause here he is selling his sub & box ... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=770471

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 7th, 2023, 1:15 pm

timelapse wrote:Ruffneck and anyone interested.
Here's a home studio forum that I learned a lot about studio acoustics, sound treatment, speaker direction etc from.This was an invaluable resource.
https://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Thanks baiiiiiiiiii <3

Also this site reminding me of early tuner lmaooo. The good ole days

Rovin wrote:OP like he busy to check he own thread or duckin we cause here he is selling his sub & box ... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=770471

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » February 7th, 2023, 8:57 pm

Rovin wrote:OP like he busy to check he own thread or duckin we cause here he is selling his sub & box ... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=770471

Good sub. But from the pic that port area looks big. To tune 36hz, port must be long. Wonder how much internal area there is for the sub.

I may be wrong, long time I haven't played around with a slot port. Aeroport or nuttin

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 8th, 2023, 3:51 pm

rollingstock wrote:
Rovin wrote:OP like he busy to check he own thread or duckin we cause here he is selling his sub & box ... https://www.trinituner.com/v4/forums/vi ... 8&t=770471

Good sub. But from the pic that port area looks big. To tune 36hz, port must be long. Wonder how much internal area there is for the sub.

I may be wrong, long time I haven't played around with a slot port. Aeroport or nuttin
Sealed or you are a raj

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » February 8th, 2023, 4:29 pm

Sealed is a waste of time. Ported done right more output and better bandwidth. Sealed is for girls.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 8th, 2023, 4:52 pm

Sealed does give some social social bass.
Pinky finger up kinda bass.

Coming with my horn loaded infra bass.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » February 8th, 2023, 8:30 pm

Sealed is for the pretentious type. The type that smells the cork before drinking the wine. My wine comes in a box.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 8th, 2023, 8:57 pm

I keep asking lapse to give me a demo of a proper sealed system, but I got real busy last year and stopped bothering him.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » February 8th, 2023, 9:28 pm

rollingstock wrote:Sealed is for the pretentious type. The type that smells the cork before drinking the wine. My wine comes in a box.

Sealed with the correct amplification and processing is marvelous though...

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”