Forums

Car audio advice thread

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Budget 6.5/ Now car audio advice thread

Postby timelapse » December 14th, 2021, 11:06 am

Out of curiosity, any of you ever use a dj sub like an rcf in a car?

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 14th, 2021, 2:44 pm

^lol that's a real experiment. The Carlibay sound men doing that now.

Any suggestions for a component speaker set around $800? (could probably spend $900 but rather be safe by saying $800). Something around 50-60 rms. Trying something small at home.

I saw the JL C1 and Rockford Prime but they just not appealing to me. The Rockford seems too entry level for a factory replacement kinda thing and the JL doesn't come with grills and the yellow woofer is just too much colour. Any other sets that you all know that sounds decent?

Saw the Xfire as well but with it being a newer brand and completely new to me I am uncertain. Also I saw that the power rating is 75 rms.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 14th, 2021, 4:04 pm

^^ like u see my ad on fb , when d upholstery cover JL u not gonna see yellow , or cause dise unc color u beatin up :lol: some focals uses a yellow too , timelapse cud tell u how C1 sound since he had a set too , damn good for low cost entry level imo

i have d orion xtr 6.5 comps for $850\pair , come hear them , they sound good & is a solid seller in my store ...

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 14th, 2021, 4:16 pm

Boy Rovin you wouldn't believe I just zooming into the pics of the demo wall to see what speakers I recognize . To be honest I'm not a big fan of the look of the Focal K2 either but performance is another story tho. But I thinking about the C1 is just I find the yellow is too much colour especially in a room with mostly grey and white. I would love to come and meet you and see and hear them to decide, hopefully soon I could make a pass.

I have some RF punch 6.5 and prime 6.75 grills already. I wonder if they could work to kinda hide them a little
Last edited by david12 on December 14th, 2021, 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » December 14th, 2021, 4:19 pm

Triple r have the morel tempo and infinity components last I was there. Can't go wrong. They have a digital design component that sounds really great also

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » December 14th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Screenshot_2021-12-14-16-20-53-945_com.android.chrome.jpg

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 14th, 2021, 4:26 pm

rollingstock wrote:PRV won though. I'll pull the buju and play it with the prv. Faital had better midbass, but those were crossed 65hz up because the sub was tuned 18hz. PRV crossed at 80hz, subs tuned mid 30's.
Music can be so subjective though, that's why I advise anyone to go into a store like rovin's where you can hear the speakers before purchase.

gives an e bonx ... :D

i myself have to answer ppl who ask me why tuning low 20s or playing into mid teens, but when they get a demo then they understand & keep quiet ... theres nothing like ultra lows 8-)
Last edited by Rovin on December 14th, 2021, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 14th, 2021, 4:27 pm

Thanks rollingstock, I'll check back the website to see prices and specs. I was watching that Alpine but the RMS a little too high. The amplifier I'm using is around 45 watts per channel.
Last edited by david12 on December 14th, 2021, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 14th, 2021, 4:29 pm

Rovin wrote:
rollingstock wrote:PRV won though. I'll pull the buju and play it with the prv. Faital had better midbass, but those were crossed 65hz up because the sub was tuned 18hz. PRV crossed at 80hz, subs tuned mid 30's.
Music can be so subjective though, that's why I advise anyone to go into a store like rovin's where you can hear the speakers before purchase.

gives a e bonx :D

i myself does have to answer ppl who ask me why low 20s & playing into mid teens but when they get demo they does keep quiet ... nothing like ultra lows
I could understand the high 20s, I've done that before but I still need to experience something tuned ridiculously low

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 14th, 2021, 4:30 pm

i consider my small knock as low .... :wink:

david12 wrote:Boy Rovin you wouldn't believe I just zooming into the pics of the demo wall to see what speakers I recognize . To be honest I'm not a big fan of the look of the Focal K2, performance is another story tho. But I thinking about the C1 is just I find the yellow is too much colour especially in a room with mostly grey and white. I would love to come and meet you and see and hear them to decide, hopefully soon I could make a pass.

I have some RF punch 6.5 and prime 6.75 grills already. I wonder if they could work to kinda hide them a little

come tru nah man , i might look like i does bite but i dont :lol:

jes say who u be when u come in so i will know is fellow tuners just for knowing sake, not for treating extra special or anything ... 8-)

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » December 14th, 2021, 5:28 pm

david12 wrote:Thanks rollingstock, I'll check back the website to see prices and specs. I was watching that Alpine but the RMS a little too high. The amplifier I'm using is around 45 watts per channel.

That's more than enough power for a component set.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 14th, 2021, 5:43 pm

trinis scoff at a 50x4 rms amp but love to see\believe big numbers like 2500+[lol]watts

but a reputable 50x4 rms low THD clean full sounding rated across 20hz or lower to 20+khz bandwidth even with class D circuitry will shock alot of ppl at what a true 50 rms on mids\highs can do ...

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 14th, 2021, 6:13 pm

Remember this not going in a car. I have a 2 channel mini amp from parts express that going to run it. I think the 45x2 is accurate but it's not like a car audio amp with plenty headroom. So I think I could stick to sets that are rated 60 watts or less. It's a small affordable project at home. I know the JL, Rockford, Orion will be perfect for it. It's just the Alpine and other speakers rated 75+ is what I thinking to stay away from

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » December 14th, 2021, 7:39 pm

david12 wrote:^lol that's a real experiment. The Carlibay sound men doing that now.

Any suggestions for a component speaker set around $800? (could probably spend $900 but rather be safe by saying $800). Something around 50-60 rms. Trying something small at home.

I saw the JL C1 and Rockford Prime but they just not appealing to me. The Rockford seems too entry level for a factory replacement kinda thing and the JL doesn't come with grills and the yellow woofer is just too much colour. Any other sets that you all know that sounds decent?

Saw the Xfire as well but with it being a newer brand and completely new to me I am uncertain. Also I saw that the power rating is 75 rms.

I Have used the Xfire already and have to say I am very impressed. I will recommend it to people who are replacing factory speakers on a low budget. It does come with the grilles and a silk dome tweeter. Off the bat, I was impressed with the how well the level of the tweeter was matched with the woofer. It made for a very relaxed sound and not the "bright" sibilant feel cheap component sets usually offer.

I never used the JL C1 Comps yet, a bit concerned of the metal tweet being harsh. But I wont cast that judgement until I try/hear it.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » December 14th, 2021, 7:51 pm

kavaninho wrote:
david12 wrote:^lol that's a real experiment. The Carlibay sound men doing that now.

I Have used the Xfire (E series) already and have to say I am very impressed. I will recommend it to people who are replacing factory speakers on a low budget. It does come with the grilles and a silk dome tweeter. Off the bat, I was impressed with the how well the level of the tweeter was matched with the woofer. It made for a very relaxed sound and not the "bright" sibilant feel cheap component sets usually offer.

I never used the JL C1 Comps yet, a bit concerned of the metal tweet being harsh. But I wont cast that judgement until I try/hear it.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 14th, 2021, 8:20 pm

C1s real nice on deck power.the tweeters high pass at 4 khz so they not as harsh.That being said, the c2s are nicer

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 14th, 2021, 11:00 pm

i forgot i have 1 or 2 pairs of 6.5" powerbass S series components left , only $500\pair on clearance sale & they sound good for its price range ... if u come remind me to show\demo them to u

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 14th, 2021, 11:47 pm

Those Powerbass not looking too bad you know. I'll see if I could make a pass and hear the different options. Thanks for all the assistance everyone.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » December 15th, 2021, 8:26 am

david12 wrote:Remember this not going in a car. I have a 2 channel mini amp from parts express that going to run it. I think the 45x2 is accurate but it's not like a car audio amp with plenty headroom. So I think I could stick to sets that are rated 60 watts or less. It's a small affordable project at home. I know the JL, Rockford, Orion will be perfect for it. It's just the Alpine and other speakers rated 75+ is what I thinking to stay away from
Apart from power rating you should also look at the sensitivity of the set you wanna use

I have a couple of those amps and they perform really well but need the 24v power supply to really shine

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 15th, 2021, 9:20 am

Yup was looking for a set with a sensitivity in the very high 80s or low 90s. The JL I think is 90 or 91db so I think that's the go to.

Jeremy09
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Jeremy09 » December 15th, 2021, 10:16 am

david12 wrote:Yup was looking for a set with a sensitivity in the very high 80s or low 90s. The JL I think is 90 or 91db so I think that's the go to.
I could be off about this statement, but when checking your sensitivity make sure its 1w1m. I believe some say there rating as 2.86v, i think that means 2w1m therefore ull have to take away 3db from the sensitivity rating to get the true 1w1m.

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 15th, 2021, 11:41 am

2.83v*

It's higher when the sensitivity measurement is taken using this instead of the common 1w/1m

Similar to the different measurements used to determine power output with cars. (ps, hp, kw)

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » December 17th, 2021, 12:38 am

timelapse wrote:Out of curiosity, any of you ever use a dj sub like an rcf in a car?

Only when I'm playing "DJ ":-).

The subwoofer box in this picture is a 40 Hz TH with an Eminence Kappalite 12" 4 ohm pro audio driver.

As for how it sounds in-car, it actually sounds pretty good. But it's a big box.
Attachments
20180101-myPA.jpg

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 17th, 2021, 7:47 am

That is box!!

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » December 17th, 2021, 7:53 am

Brian Steele wrote:
timelapse wrote:Out of curiosity, any of you ever use a dj sub like an rcf in a car?

Only when I'm playing "DJ ":-).

The subwoofer box in this picture is a 40 Hz TH with an Eminence Kappalite 12" 4 ohm pro audio driver.

As for how it sounds in-car, it actually sounds pretty good. But it's a big box.
Tapped Horn sub enclosure?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 17th, 2021, 11:55 am

plenty ppl find some random box plans for all kinds of brands & build it but it doesnt sound good for obvious reasons , i myself have done it in d past :o :lol: but i 100% sure brian did not mickey mouse his ... :)

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » December 17th, 2021, 4:33 pm

david12 wrote:Tapped Horn sub enclosure?

Yup. It was actually designed for the Dayton Audio PA310-8 mostly for testing purposes, but Hornresp said that the Eminence Kappalite would work in it as well, and the Kappalite has a larger Xmax and this version was 4 ohms, so...

I use that rig for background music at out small get-togethers. It is kind of fun to turn it up in the car though.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » December 17th, 2021, 4:53 pm

Rovin wrote:plenty ppl find some random box plans for all kinds of brands & build it but it doesnt sound good for obvious reasons , i myself have done it in d past :o :lol: but i 100% sure brian did not mickey mouse his ... :)

That particular TH build was... "fun".

Originally, the sides and most of the internal panels are 12mm ply. The front, back, top, bottom are 19mm ply. The driver baffle is two 19mm ply sheets joined together. And there's lots of internal bracing. When first powered up, the damned thing wouldn't sit still because the panel flex on the top and bottom panels (yes, the smallest 3/4 ply panels in the whole build) were vibrating so much. So I doubled up on those beveling the additional panels while doing so for aesthetic purposes, added a small handle on top and two pocket wheels at the bottom to make it easier to move around. and the result is what you see in the picture.

I'm quite happy with it, but at the end of the day it is one 12" driver with 9mm Xmax in a box, so peak SPL is limited. But it gets there easily, so the whole rig can be played for quite a while without killing the car's battery.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 17th, 2021, 8:31 pm

I would love to hear that bad boy play.

Jeremy09
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Jeremy09 » December 20th, 2021, 10:39 am

Alright. Time to harrass alyh again. So i made up a lil budget of max $1800 for a single 12" new sub to add to the set up. I like myself a 33hz tune and i got 1000rms of power to work with @1ohm.
Was looking into a couple but had no luck...
Re sex 12" v2 - Rodneys have no dual 2
Incriminator letal inj d2 - jdm has no 12"
Resilient sounds gold 12- way out of budget

Anyone know where i can source these or any other possible recommendations of subs along the line of what those will do?
Again..many thanks

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”